The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time no post! I figured you guys might be missing some Raiders love in this thread.

That was possibly the worst officiated game I've ever seen! A win is a win and there's nothing I can do about it, but respect to the Texans for showing up on defense. Also they made brock usable by studying 30 seconds of film and realizing we can't cover a tight end and haven't been able to for 3+ years.
8-2 doesn't feel real. I'm pretty sure we're playoff bound and headed towards a blowout loss in the first round but we'll see.

broncos/chiefs can still go eat a dick. That is all

Remind me why that Hopkins play (touchdown) is not reviewable? Smh stupid NFL
Well, that is what is called "inadvertent whistle".

Regarding this, Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 of the NFL Rule Book says:
NFL Rule Book said:
- when an official sounds his whistle erroneously while the ball is still in play, the ball becomes dead immediately;
- If the ball is in player possession, the team in possession may elect to put the ball in play where it has been declared dead or to replay the down.
Because of that, you can't review anything. The correct officiating mechanic here would be the same as they did at the DEN @ NO game. Wait for the play to end, then go to the booth and review it.

It's also under the "Common Sense and Good Judgment Approach to Officiating" document that every single level of officiating have to know by heart. Actually, I can list a few items on the list that were skipped by that official:
Common-Sense Axioms said:
1. If you are in doubt, don't throw the flag or blow the whistle. (man, it's the very first one for a reason)
27. Never guess what may have happened.
31. Be consistent in declaring the ball dead.
42. Officiate in a manner that no one will ask who the officials were.
55. No fan ever paid to see an official officiate.
57. Let the play kill itself.
59. Don't call it unless you can hang your hat on it.
61. It can be understandable when an official doesn't see something -- it is never understandable when an official calls a foul that wasn’t there. (in this case, it applies to killing the play by guessing)
67. The best officials always seem to be in the best position to see things.
68. When you watch great officials, you'll always see great mechanics.
75. Knowing what to look for and where to look is a requirement of every official on every play. Some do -- some don't. The great ones always know.
74. Never sacrifice accuracy for speed in making officiating decisions.
81. Be great dead ball officials.
So yeah, for everyone else, the game was poorly officiated. For an official, to watch that many items being disregarded by the official in question is infuriating.

In summary, the rules have to be this way because the alternative is guys being forced to play through/ignore the whistle in case it is reviewable, which would lead to more late hits/injuries. It's rough, but we live in an era in the NFL where judgement calls are being questioned like they have never been before, and some of them will never be reviewable. (But some like certain penalties definitely should...)

In summary, the rules have to be this way because the alternative is guys being forced to play through/ignore the whistle in case it is reviewable, which would lead to more late hits/injuries. It's rough, but we live in an era in the NFL where judgement calls are being questioned like they have never been before, and some of them will never be reviewable. (But some like certain penalties definitely should...)
Basically, yes. The only exception in which a play blown dead can have its result reversed is the Hochulli Rule, that says that, if a play was considered a fumble after review, and there was a clear recovery by the opposing team, the team can keep the possession. If there was a player nearby and he didn't jump onto the ball, even if he were the only player close to the ball, it is not considered recovered, so all the players now get instructed that, should they see a lose ball, they have to try and secure it, just in case they rule it a fumble.

Regarding penalty challenging, I do believe decisive penalties should be reviewable. Like every team has an extra challenge per game to challenge a specific play. Not all penalties should be reviewable though. I think it would be boiled down to a penalty that nullifies a first down/score by the offense or that gives an automatic first down, in case the defense does it. Talking about that, I hate the fact that defensive holding is an automatic first down. It's just ridiculous. There was a play in a Broncos game that was a 3rd and 28, after back to back sacks, and then a holding call made it a first and ten 13 full yards behind the original line of scrimmage.It's not a loss of down on the offense, it gives the Offense the opportunity to repeat the down, even if 10 yards backwards. Just make it a 10 yard call on the defense as well. In most situations, it'll keep being as is, an automatic first down, but in cases the offense had a penalty or the defense did a great job on previous downs, the effort isn't nullified by judgment call.

I think Derek Carr is a bit too overhyped right now

Some people have him in the MVP conversation which is crazy.
Some people are calling Dak the MVP, even though he's been having enough time to brew tea before throwing the pigskin before that O-Line of his. Carr is the same. He's behind a great OL. But yesterday's game showed several flaws of his game.

So nice being Seattle right now. The other three teams are in shambles and are in the process of building/rebuilding. Well, not Arizona yet, but I'm predicting they're going to revamp that offense after this year. Waste of a good run game. Seattle's so has their cite players and is still working on living in more each year. Sure wish we're more consistent on offense in the beginning of the year though. That's three seasons in a row where we're in a hole, then spend the second half of the season being the best team in the league. I'm really expecting reaching the NFC Championship.

For NFC, anyone get the feeling that the Giants are the dark horse for a deep run or even the Super Bowl. Out of all teams, they're the most inconsistent (to me), especially with Manning, but have done enough to somehow have one of the better records. I mean, they have pieces on each side of the ball, but ya know. They have to settle for sitting behind Dallas obviously.

AFC, is anyone else at this point expecting any team other than NE or an AFC West team in the Championships?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure what you're saying here. All i see are losses to teams above .500, including the two best teams in football and with a fully healthy qb for only one of those games. not exactly a good argument against their championship viability.

I mean, it's not like we're the jaguars or something ;D

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Not sure what you're saying here. All i see are losses to teams above .500, including the two best teams in football and with a fully healthy qb for only one of those games. not exactly a good argument against their championship viability.

I mean, it's not like we're the jaguars or something ;D
If i said the jags would win the sb you'd have a point but instead you just look like some hero rn so you should probably drop it.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If i said the jags would win the sb you'd have a point but instead you just look like some hero rn so you should probably drop it.
Lol you must not have read all of my post, because I actually said I was abandoning my objectivity in favor of being a homer this time. although I do believe Pittsburgh can make the afcc, recent performance makes that far less believable to others.

Its pretty easy to spot the fatal flaw in all of the potential AFC playoff teams.

Ravens - Good not great defense that can't mask their offensive decencies
Dolphins - Still adjusting to being halfway decent, will inevitability implode on themselves once they realize that they're the Dolphins
Chiefs - Alex Smith is their fkn quarterback they ain't doing diddly squat
Raiders - Terrible defense
Broncos - Numerous offensive problems, can't stop the run
Texans - They vomit all over themselves every time they play in a big game
Colts - Will be on the phone reporting some rules infraction to Goodell by halftime cuz they fkn suck and are the Colts
Steelers - Terrible defense, Offense isn't playing up to potential
Patriots - Rely on their demigod QB to carry them. Defense is an illusion that can't be solved by terrible QBs but is easily exploited by any halfway decent QB.

If Ben Roethlisberger stopped playing like dogshit the Steelers would roll over all the other non-Patriots teams in AFC rather easily imo.

Last edited:

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
mark my words, elite dragon joe flacco will be unleashed in the playoffs and the ravens will make the afccg

they will then be obliterated by league mvp derek carr and the oakland raiders

quote this post in 2 months

(also the cowboys are winning what do i do i'm used to just complaining about things this is not ok)

Ain't NE third in defense?

And God, Brady is overrated, it's disgusting. Like the weapons he's got don't even matter, just polish his helmet. A good enough set of WRs, including a rookie that'll be used more, two good TEs, a trio of RBs that work everytime, protection in the pocket (usually). Nope, Brady's our lord and savior.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
The Patriots defense looks good because their offense forces opposing teams to be one dimensional. since they almost always put points on the board, opposing offenses have to try to keep up. there's only been a couple games this year where they even faced a decent offense anyway so we may see a different story when that happens

For NFC, anyone get the feeling that the Giants are the dark horse for a deep run or even the Super Bowl. Out of all teams, they're the most inconsistent (to me), especially with Manning, but have done enough to somehow have one of the better records. I mean, they have pieces on each side of the ball, but ya know. They have to settle for sitting behind Dallas obviously.
Of course the Giants have a shot at winning the SB if they make the playoffs. They're a team that can stop the run and have talented pass rushers and defensive backs. With Odell on offense they're a very, very dangerous team that just needs a couple of bounces here and there to beat any team. Week to week they are extremely dangerous and would be in the playoffs because Odell has a very good chances of closing the season on a hot streak along with the pass rush which seems to have woken up finally. They basically have the players to win it all with some luck like the 2007, 10, 11 and 12 SB winning teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)