The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Patriots would dominate any division they got put in.

If they were put in the AFC north for example they'd just destroy the Steelers and Ravens every year instead of Dolphins and Jets

Their win % outside the AFC east is virtually identical to their win % inside of it.

The "AFC east weak division" argument is one of the worst anti patriots arguments there is to make, yet people make it so often.
Perhaps I should have clarified, I was not making an anti Patriots argument, I was pointing out that division wins are not a reliable stat. It hardly needs to be stated that the Patriots are the best team of the last 15 years.

I promise you, however, that you would not "destroy" the afc north the way you destroy your own division.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yes because they all had to play in foxborough and it's not like Brady's road record is the best in nfl history or anything...
Are you claiming that there is no effect to playing on the road in the afc north that would reduce the winning percentage the pats realize? I'm not saying the pats wouldn't ever win the division, simply that they likely wouldn't match that winning percentage on in-division games which increases the record variance they experience and makes it more likely that a good Steelers/ravens team forces them to the wild card

You may also note the Steelers and ravens are 3 and 4 behind the pats so Foxboro isn't a lock either

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be perfectly honest, the Patriots would probably win the afc north more often than the steelers or ravens would. I guarantee you it would be a hell of a lot more competitive than the east though.

I would welcome that change, as it would push the Ravens and steelers to be even better. Playing the Patriots twice a year would be fantastic, even if we lost most of the time at first.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Are you claiming that there is no effect to playing on the road in the afc north that would reduce the winning percentage the pats realize? I'm not saying the pats wouldn't ever win the division, simply that they likely wouldn't match that winning percentage on in-division games which increases the record variance they experience and makes it more likely that a good Steelers/ravens team forces them to the wild card

You may also note the Steelers and ravens are 3 and 4 behind the pats so Foxboro isn't a lock either
no im claiming that saying they wouldn't dominate the afc north because they have to go to pitt/cin/bal every year is asinine.

The Patriots would dominate any division they got put in.

If they were put in the AFC north for example they'd just destroy the Steelers and Ravens every year instead of Dolphins and Jets

Their win % outside the AFC east is virtually identical to their win % inside of it.

The "AFC east weak division" argument is one of the worst anti patriots arguments there is to make, yet people make it so often.
Yeah, that's a load of shit. Swap them with Cleveland and it'll just be one big dirty division with the coaches seeing who can undercut each other the best.

Aaron Rodgers winning the MVP for his six game stretch is even more asinine than Brady winning it for twelve games. Take a look at how A-Rod compares to a QB who was actually good for all sixteen:

I will not stop shitposting about this until February even after the Falcons are out of the playoffs

Aaron Rodgers winning the MVP for his six game stretch is even more asinine than Brady winning it for twelve games.
I will not stop shitposting about this until February even after the Falcons are out of the playoffs
When people argue that Rodgers has had to carry the Packers this season with nothing to work with they also conveniently ignore the fact that Rodgers has had the leagues best pass protecting oline the entire year.

And was still bad for the first 8 games despite that.

I've also resigned myself to arguing for Matt Ryan as MVP as long as every individual Falcon fan admits that he'll only win it because of Brady's suspension

Last edited:
Browns, Bills, Jags, and Lions are the only teams to not win the division since realignment, if I'm not mistaken.

Jets, Dolphins, Raiders, and Rams have only won once.

That's some cool stuff.

There should be a wacky year where Browns/Bills/Jags/Lions get placed in a division and see who manages to blow their way to the crown (bad RNG would have easily tanked the Lions season this year imo)

xJownage

When people argue that Rodgers has had to carry the Packers this season with nothing to work with they also conveniently ignore the fact that Rodgers has had the leagues best pass protecting oline the entire year.
what

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I believe he actually does. If I remember correctly they mentioned it early in the Sunday night broadcast of Lions vs Packers that according to Pro Football Focus the Packers have the best pass protecting line in the league

xJownage

I believe he actually does. If I remember correctly they mentioned it early in the Sunday night broadcast of Lions vs Packers that according to Pro Football Focus the Packers have the best pass protecting line in the league
that what was genuine, i wasn't being sarcastic. if i knew it was wrong i would've just said lol and been done with it.
mvp rodgers run the table

(still fire mike)
yeah tbh fuck mike, packers talent acquisition has been good but development of players has been subpar at important positions (RUNNING BACK).

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
If we're on the subject of things not being talked about in the MVP discussion how about Matt Ryan having the best offensive coordinator Julio Jones and a great running game. Rodgers meanwhile toils in an offense so archaic it features more than one fullback on a single play and still manages to so disgustingly eviscerate the entire league.

Also Brady doesn't really deserve the MVP award for any reason other than it was given to Peyton by default for years so now it should be Brady's turn.

Zeke>Rodgers>Brady/Ryan

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Insert rehash of earlier MVP post, except replacing all mentions of Derek Carr with Aaron Rodgers. 9th in Comp% and 14th in YPA get out Rodgers. After a couple meh performances from Dak, before bouncing back, Ryan is the clear MVP at least among QBs.

Prob should actually be David Johnson, if not Zeke, but nobody respects non-QBs.

Man I'm tired of seeing the Brady groveling everywhere. Nick Foles literally put on a season a couple years ago that was statistically identical. Guess what? You miss 4+ games, you are not allowed to brag about your season. In any of those 4 missed games he could have posted a 0-5 td/int game and brought back his season to reality. Brady played well, but it wasn't some great all time memorable campaign, it was a statistically efficient 12 game stretch. Assuming he'd have similar averages in a 16 game season is beyond dumb. Brady, like Foles before him, gets no respect from me.

xJownage

Man I'm tired of seeing the Brady groveling everywhere. Nick Foles literally put on a season a couple years ago that was statistically identical. Guess what? You miss 4+ games, you are not allowed to brag about your season. In any of those 4 missed games he could have posted a 0-5 td/int game and brought back his season to reality. Brady played well, but it wasn't some great all time memorable campaign, it was a statistically efficient 12 game stretch. Assuming he'd have similar averages in a 16 game season is beyond dumb. Brady, like Foles before him, gets no respect from me.
comparing brady to nick foles is probably the most asinine thing you've ever done on this thread. it's completely fair to assume the best qb of the modern era would put up similar numbers in his first 4 games. and again, if you don't think brady is one of the best qbs of the modern era, you're simply biased and want every excuse not to see him as such, and consequently will respond to me grasping at straws as to how brady isn't one of the best, if not the best. save yourself the embarrassment.
you have one style of post: extremely biased generic fandom in which you pick favorites and root for them and bash your enemies with no logical thought.
you love the giants, so you place blatant dislike on brady just on principle and are trying to find any excuse to devalue him. I'm sure you were one of the ones who agreed with goodell's suspension, which pretty much proves my point.

So it's asinine to compare two players who had identical seasons? Jesus. Quit being delusional. As soon as anyone brings up brady they bring up the sbs and wins blah blah blah. Yet statistically he's marginally better than Rivers, Romo and BB. He had an all time great season once, with the greatest wr ever who should have been the mvp(catching almost half his TDs). Brady isn't even in my top 5 qbs right now. Yet I'm not able to say that because he wins. Right. Like i said Brady is on the same level as those I mentioned and any of those are interchangeable. You take out Bradys 2007 season and I'd take Romo over him any day.

You'd think he'd have a greater appreciation for a QB that has 2 turnovers the entire season

Especially since he watches Eli Manning turn the ball over twice a quarter every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)