The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think Cowboys/GB is gonna be a really good game and GB will ultimately win it, Dak's going to flail a bit under the big lights as a rookie.

I want to win but think it's more like Atlanta wins from an objective viewpoint, Earl Thomas still out is just no bueno to our defense and if we get constant penalty potato o-line we won't put up enough points. If we get "actually could be an NFL caliber line" o-line then it's a much closer and winnable matchup. Rawls popped tf off vs Detroit and Atlanta's offense is much better than their defense.

Go Chiefs keep the Patriots out of the SB.

I think Cowboys/GB is gonna be a really good game and GB will ultimately win it, Dak's going to flail a bit under the big lights as a rookie.

I want to win but think it's more like Atlanta wins from an objective viewpoint, Earl Thomas still out is just no bueno to our defense and if we get constant penalty potato o-line we won't put up enough points. If we get "actually could be an NFL caliber line" o-line then it's a much closer and winnable matchup. Rawls popped tf off vs Detroit and Atlanta's offense is much better than their defense.

Kaepernick did not falter in the playoffs in his first season as a starter. I don't think Dak would choke. And Colin won in the Divisonal round against the Packers.

Go Cowboys. David Irving is my favorite player. I hope he sacks Rodgers at least two times and forces a fumble.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways

atlanta deserves to win after getting robbed in seattle earlier this year with one of the worst missed PI calls in NFL history

really uninspiring hire for the jags

This means they'll probably stick with Bortles and let all the talent on their roster waste away for another 2 years

naw, Jags will win the SB next year.

EDIT: and Coughlin in charge of NFL personnel.

hope to god he is not in charge of the salary cap.

Last edited:

xJownage

I've seen a lot of people saying bortles' is savable if for no other reason but his work ethic, which is apparently top-tier. I mean, if that's the case i don't understand why his technique regressed. idk, ill hold out hope on the sole fact that i don't want to face another 3-13 season.

I'd generally agree Bortles is salvageable, and even if they wanted to move on from him, the QB market from what I remember reading isn't that great atm in either free agency or the draft. Jaguars have enough problems trying to attract talent as it is, and Bortles at his best is still at least average to good. But yeah, if there's no general improvement in this upcoming season, might not be a bad idea to cut ties with him.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Bortles is just straight legit bad. He's not average to good at all.

And also there's plenty of quality talent out there at QB. Tyrod Taylor is probably gonna be a free agent, Colin Kaepernick is probably gonna be a free agent, Tony Romo might be available. There's a handful of QBs out there who are serviceable enough to play well if you use them right. Problem is NFL coaching is so arrogant they'd rather 'coach up' look the part all stars like Brick Osweiler and Blake Bortles who can 'stand tall in the pocket' but cannot figure out how to throw a football downfield with any accuracy.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bortles is just straight legit bad. He's not average to good at all.

And also there's plenty of quality talent out there at QB. Tyrod Taylor is probably gonna be a free agent, Colin Kaepernick is probably gonna be a free agent, Tony Romo might be available. There's a handful of QBs out there who are serviceable enough to play well if you use them right. Problem is NFL coaching is so arrogant they'd rather 'coach up' look the part all stars like Brick Osweiler and Blake Bortles who can 'stand tall in the pocket' but cannot figure out how to throw a football downfield with any accuracy.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Bortles. Remember he had a very good 2015 campaign considering the team he was on, so we know there's something there. It's not fair to mention him with osweiler who has never shown any signs of being good ever. Tyrod Taylor I really don't see as much of an improvement, especially considering that offense really needs a pocket passer. The problem with signing a free agent who might be only marginally better is that you're gonna wind up massively overpaying based on how inflated the qb contracts are. I dunno how much time Bortles has left on his wookiee contract but he's a hell of a lot cheaper to keep than signing a Colin kaepernick or tyrod Taylor. This way you can wait another year or two for the right qb to show up in the draft. Tony romo would be the only free agent I'd even consider, and only if I can get an affordable 1 or 2 year deal on him. The jags need to address their running game and o line issues before they throw another qb into the mix. Even a really great qb would struggle to thrive there if he doesn't have more than a half second to throw

xJownage

Again, the O-line and ivory was good down the stretch this year. The jags need to add some speed on offense and a real anchor on the interior offensive line, but other than that this is a team that did well down the stretch. They played everybody tough, stayed in games, and again, once bradley was gone bortles could actually throw the ball with some accuracy (look at the film). The tackle play was actually good for the jags down the stretch. Linder is a good player on the inside, but they need a real anchor. Meanwhile luke holding-penalty is a serviceable guard.

In the running game, this team needs speed. Thats why i want Cook so much; he's basically everything you want in a football player and quite frankly i think he has a higher ceiling than Elliot does.

In the running game, this team needs speed. Thats why i want Cook so much; he's basically everything you want in a football player and quite frankly i think he has a higher ceiling than Elliot does.
2 years ago the Jags used a 40 pick on a running back (Yeldon) and signed Chris ivory to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal last offseason.

In order to get Cook they'd need to invest a top 5 pick in him, which would be laughable considering all their recent investments in the position.

The Jags aren't a RB away from being competitive. They need to address other concerns first.

TheValkyries

2015 was more Allen and Robinson being ridiculously good and saving the shit out of Bortles rather than him actually doing it on his own.

I think something like 1.3k yards of Bortles yards that season was on 20+ yard passes. Basically throwing up bombs to his recievers and them being god tier.

TheValkyries

I feel like the only team that could actually survive in LA is the Raiders otherwise I think these are really bad decisions to keep moving teams there.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Raiders are a cool team to support, the Rams and the Chargers most certainly aren't cool or popular teams. I don't get what their owners see in moving apart from having public funding for a stadium but i'm not an owner...

Will make me laugh next year when the Chargers don't sell out their 30,000 capacity stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)