The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may come off as a touch salty, but I think the Kyle Shanahan hire was a bad one.

Shanahan's offensive strengths come from his play calling, not his extraordinarily complex scheme. Consider that it took Matt Ryan, probably one of the top three hardest working QBs in the league, a year and a half to learn this offense, and now picture a rookie doing it. Shanahan's offenses have been successful in exactly two of six years, behind tremendous efforts of RG3 in 2012 and Matt Ryan this year. I think it is just a huge risk to give a guy like this literally full reign over a team, especially given the alleged blank check of hiring his own GM. Combined with the trade rumors around Kirk Cousins, it seems like Josh Mcdaniels 2.0. The setup seems almost too perfect for history not to repeat itself.

Jed York has fired three coaches in three years and is now about to put way too much faith in a guy who probably does not deserve it. Best of luck to Kyle and the 49ers though, if all goes well he will have the draft capital and free agency cash to mold the team to his liking and turn them into contenders as early as 2018.

Just let us keep Mike McDaniel pls :X

I hope they do get it. Not only for something different in the SB, but I feel like they deserve it after improving like that from last season. Record coulda matched their 2012 season honestly. They better do it now, as they gotta start all over again on offense next season.
Yeah I was really sad when they started 5-0 then started a tilt. I was crying when they lost their last potential record-saving game because of an interception... that's football man

I loved the hiring of Vance Joseph and not Kyle Shanahan. Even though I was wanting Kyle at first, Vance is way more a leader of men than Kyle is. The man tamed Pac-Man Jones and Suh. While Kyle is a good offensive mind, I think we are better of with the combo of McCoy and Musgreave.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So Zachary Orr has to retire at 24 because of a congenital bone disorder I think. It's a shame, he was an extremely promising kid who could have taken over as the heart of Baltimore's defense after terrell suggs retires.

For what it's worth, I'm slightly more optimistic about Kyle Shanahan as the likely HC (mind you he can make the Niners look really stupid if he decides to back out at the last second, and honestly who can blame him considering what a trainwreck we've been over the last few years). At worst, nothing works out and it's another wasted 1-3 years or so, but considering we just finished 2-14, nothing really looks that much worse honestly just as long as we don't follow the Lions down that inglorious 0-16 route. In a theoretical sense hopefully, Shanahan brings along a good staff thanks to connections/bribes from pops, they draft and develop well over the next two-three drafts while putting that large excess they have under the cap to good use, and get back into contention hopefully right around the same time Palmer and Fitz retire from the Cardinals and the Seahawks' age ungracefully on defense. So yeah, a 2-4 year path basically, the Raiders stuck with it and it's paying dividends for them. Rams, eh, I'm not giving them much of a shot to emerge in the same timeframe, they're pretty sunk by the Goff trade over the same time-span the Niners are/should be rebuilding, and I don't think Goff pans out into the next superstar they want him to be.

Goff has so many shortcomings that I think it'll take a huge while until they can start counting on him. Hopefully (for them), he'll be better coached from now on.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I love the "eventually it will work out for him" attitude everyone likes to have about QBs. It's so anti-results based its hilarious.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love the "eventually it will work out for him" attitude everyone likes to have about QBs. It's so anti-results based its hilarious.
On the contrary, these days most teams are expecting their rookie qbs to be ready to start and turn a franchise around on day 1, and it's this unfairly high expectation that I believe is the reason so many highly drafted qbs fail in the long run

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Yes they have bad expectations but it's not "oh man why isn't he Peyton Manning" that's making these Quarterbacks suck. Spoilers: these quarterbacks suck because they are actually just not good. The way everyone thinks about Quarterback play is just awful.

Predictions for this weekend

I think the Falcons are gonna blow the doors off the Packers in a relatively non competitive game

The AFC championship will be close AF since the Pats won't have Gronk this time and the Steelers defense has improved, but I still think Brady can put 24-31 points on the Board for the Pats.

I think Bell will be slowed down and Ben Will have to win the game.

Predictions for this weekend

I think the Falcons are gonna blow the doors off the Packers in a relatively non competitive game

The AFC championship will be close AF since the Pats won't have Gronk this time and the Steelers defense has improved, but I still think Brady can put 24-31 points on the Board for the Pats.

I think Bell will be slowed down and Ben Will have to win the game.
the whole GB locker room is under the weather, so I don't know how much it'll affect their ability to play. If they're 100%, I think it's gonna be a shootout. Rodgers is on fire right now, making even more impossible throws then usually, so it's hard to see them not being competitive.

NE and PIT will be highly entertaining as well. If Brady plays the same way he played against the Texans, the Steelers win. If he plays like he played in the regular season, it'l be a matter of who stops the opposite RB.

So, now Pagano has no excuses with the Colts now that they're in the market for a new GM, he'll be on the chopping block next unless they make the playoffs next year. And even then considering the owner, probably at least AFC Championship game.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I always liked pagano, they just gave him nothing to work with. You have Andrew luck and ty hilton and what, vontae Davis? They need a gm who can build a decent roster to give pagano a chance to succeed. And it's not going to happen in one year either so expecting playoffs next year is pretty lofty unless they absolutely knock the draft out of the park

I always liked pagano, they just gave him nothing to work with. You have Andrew luck and ty hilton and what, vontae Davis? They need a gm who can build a decent roster to give pagano a chance to succeed. And it's not going to happen in one year either so expecting playoffs next year is pretty lofty unless they absolutely knock the draft out of the park
Agree, Pagano's been decent even with some...er...absolutely head scratching play calls sometimes.

sorry it's the Jags division now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)