The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played bad today, and probably at least until Ryan Kalil gets back. All 3 INTs could be blamed on him, he's just worse than what everyone thought of him (good, bad, or in between) from the shoulder surgery. But as long as he can stay (relatively) healthy this season, I think he'll end the season stronger. At least McCaffrey is rly good.

Mike Shula is awful.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a weird inkling that leveon bell is intentionally half-assing it because he knows Pittsburgh isn't gonna pay him what he wants. Watching him out there he just doesn't seem to be trying as hard. The line hasn't been stellar either but I feel like he's missed a few chances. Not sure why the offense is sucking so hard with all the weapons it has...

Fucking Robbed

Matt Ryan saved by a 10 second runoff. Refs gonna be lucky to get out of Detroit alive after overturning that td.
Things were thrown when I saw the TD. Then things were repaired. Then some water was drunk.

By the way the London game was the most fun game I've ever watched. London games this year look meh so this was prolly the best one.

Who remembers Bills vs Jaguars in London like two years ago? That's the real best game I've ever watched.

I think its pretty obvious that Cam Ain't fully healthy, but the troubling thing is that he hasn't been a good starting QB in over a year and people are still refusing to acknowledge his limitations as a pocket passer.

At some point you have to blame him for all the easy throws he's missing and the bad decisions he's making.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I have a weird inkling that leveon bell is intentionally half-assing it because he knows Pittsburgh isn't gonna pay him what he wants. Watching him out there he just doesn't seem to be trying as hard. The line hasn't been stellar either but I feel like he's missed a few chances. Not sure why the offense is sucking so hard with all the weapons it has...
Playing half-assed is a good way to show you deserve to get paid.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Bell always looks like he's not trying as hard tho, that's kinda like... his thing? I still see him rip out casual first down chain movers more than any RB in the league. He's still a monster. The reason your offense doesn't look good is because Big Ben isn't connecting to the weapons in the ways he used to. He's just plain missing the throws by a factor a bit to large to be corrected by receiver skill, which sucks to see. Basically Big Ben's finally become consistent... just on the wrong end of his wild variance.

also lol at Cam somehow still needing to prove he's a pocket passer despite what he did in 2015 with his best receiver being Ted fucking Ginn Jr... just c'mon. I get why Killah does it, but Pretzels why do you want this to be your hill to die on? Do you feel like people saying Cam is Good Actually at being a pocket passer somehow threatens Brady's pocket passing ability or something? Is this what happens when you don't have to argue Peyton vs Tommy every year? What's REALLY going on here.

Everything went downhill from week 1 last season. From the beating and head shots from the Broncos and losing on a missed field goal (set the tone for the rest of the season tbh), to the concussion during the first Falcons game, to when he should've sat out the rest of the season after the shoulder injury in week 14 against the Chargers, he would've started out this season better with earlier surgery + 3 less weeks of playing. His stubbornness of wanting to finish the season (and our choaching staff letting him) is costing him this season.

edit: why didn't anyone tell me about the typos wtf did I type

Last edited:

TheValkyries

It just confuses me as to why people think hes a good QB when he hasn't put on good tape since 2015.

And the mental gymnastics people do to convince themselves its not his fault

Yeah Peyton Manning didn't put out good tape since 2015 either he's probs always been utter shit.

Also lol at "mental gymnastics".

BIG TIME EDIT: it's been pointed out to me that Blake Bortles has now defeated the Ravens on two continents. Context is so great.

Last edited:
Yeah Peyton Manning didn't put out good tape since 2015 either he's probs always been utter shit.
I'm not even really sure what this post is trying to say but since you mentioned Peyton's 2015, It made me think of Osweiler. Which made me remember than Cam's passing rating over the last 16 games (72.5) is roughly the same as Osweiler's was 2016 (72.2)

Cam Newton hasn't played well

and he's getting worse

You can't keep pointing to his 2015 season to try to justify how good he is or isn't, because he clearly isn't that player anymore, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if kaepernick is a distraction to teams for kneeling then why isn't Alejandro Villanueva a distraction for being the only steeler on the field

Also lol at "mental gymnastics".

BIG TIME EDIT: it's been pointed out to me that Blake Bortles has now defeated the Ravens on two continents. Context is so great.
Does Britain really count as a continent? Seems a bit generous for an ISLAND

TheValkyries

Interesting point about Carson Palmer to Larry Fitzgerald TDs, what's the oldest combined age of a TD connection in nfl history?

Palmer to Fitz is 71, and I'm seeing lots of people say Gannon to Rice in Oakland at 76 years old in 2002. Can anyone think of some others?

Last edited:
Gonna guess Harrison's top ten again.

Chiefs
Patriots
Falcons
Packers
Steelers
Broncos
Raiders
Cowboys
Titans
Eagles

Top four are easy to guess, but there were a bunch of losses from week 3 top tens and not enough wins from those who were under that the rest off the list is a mystery. Raiders looked so bad, that they could drop below Broncos (or even lower?). Cowboys easily move in with that win, looking like last year's team in that second half. Hawks drop off the list, as do the Lions.

TheValkyries

After some frantic googling I have come back with some initial discoveries:

I looked up a list of players who played over the age of 40 and found that Jerry Rice was the only pass catcher to do it, so we already had his most ancient TD, so then I went to the QB's and started poking around there.

At first I thought George Blanda was gonna make an appearance since he played til he was like 48, problem was he played mostly as a kicker, and only threw TDs on trick plays. His last td pass in the NFL was his oldest with him at 47 throwing to a 26 year old Cliff Branch combining for 73.

Brett Favre was the obvious next choice and he threw a respectable TD pass to an age 33 Randy Moss for a combination of 74 years in his last season (2010).

Next I looked up Warren Moon's last few seasons from 1997-2000. In 2000 he threw one TD at age 44 to the 30 year old Troy Dayton putting him at 74. He didn't throw a TD pass in 1999 and his oldest td's in 97 and 98 were 71 and 72 respectively so just like Blanda his last TD pass in the NFL was his oldest, and while he eclipsed Blanda's mark, he couldn't best Rice and Gannon.

I checked on Tom Brady, and his oldest TD is actually last year to the 31 year old Danny Amendola, putting him at a combined age of 70. If the pair connect this year they'll be the oldest active connection in the NFL at 72.

So then that left the Journeyman QB's Steve DeBerg and Vinny Testaverde. Looking up DeBerg first I see that he didn't play since he was 39 until he was 44 and setting the record as the oldest starting QB in NFL history playing for the Atlanta Falcons in 1998 at the age of 44. Like some of those before him his last TD Pass in the nfl was his oldest throwing to the 33 year old Tony Martin against the Miami Dolphins for a ridiculous combined 77 years of age.

At this point I was CERTAIN that was gonna be the oldest one none of the others even eclipsed 75 let alone Gannon and Rice at 76, so the 77 was gonna be rock solid despite not looking at Testaverde's career. But then I saw he threw a single touchdown for the Patriots in 2006 when he was their back up and he threw it to Troy fucking Brown. With Testaverde at 43 years old and Troy Brown at 35 that was a combined 78 years old! BUT WAIT THERES MORE, I look at Testaverde's last season with 2007 Carolina Panthers to see if there was anyone older. And on November 18th, 2007, a 44 years and 5 day old Vinny threw a 2 yard TD Pass to the 36 years and 57 day old Christian Fauria for a combined Geezer TD Age of 80 years 2 months and 3 days. Incredible.

No other QB over the age of 40 combined for a TD remotely close so I think that's gotta be it. Testaverde to Fauria is the oldest TD in NFL history.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^jesus

Only through Week 3 and only two undefeateds remain, one of which has no business being there (although the Lions would be undefeated instead anyway, so there'd be two teams regardless).

Oh give it a rest

The Lions were just as big as benefactors of a more common but similarly structured rule that is there to prevent abuse, when a Falcons player was injured after a big play on their last drive. The Falcons were forced to call a timeout for something outside of their control which saved either ten seconds and a play or 15-20 seconds if the Lions immediately called another play.

Both calls were one hundred percent correct and both rules have legitimate reasons for their existence (though in this day and age of the practiced extreme hurry up, I can see them tweaking the rule they lost on).

More importantly, the Lions couldn't even win a home game where they had 3 takeaways and 0 giveaways. First time that's happened since 2010. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd be saying the Falcons choked a game they should have won.

Also how is this for a fun stat:

https://twitter.com/MikeConti929/status/912091737409097728

The Falcons haven't trailed in a game since the first quarter of the divisional round of the playoffs (they technically never trailed in the Super Bowl despite losing).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)