The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Rex Grossman once played in a super bowl.
Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer both won the super bowl
Joe Flacco won the super bowl AND AN MVP

Bortles can absolutely make a super bowl. Do I think he will? No, but it's more possible than you think, especially in a comparatively weak afc
Don't forget Jeff Hostetler as well. Oh and the jags defense is on pace to lead the league in scoring defense, total defense, pass defense, sacks, and takeaways, and would be the first defense to ever accomplish that in the super bowl era. 2013 Seattle won a super bowl with a rookie QB, and their defense didn't do that. The 85 bears didn't do that. The 2000 Ravens, who won a super bowl with Trent fucking dilfer, didn't do that either.

I don't wanna hear it.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't forget Jeff Hostetler as well. Oh and the jags defense is on pace to lead the league in scoring defense, total defense, pass defense, sacks, and takeaways, and would be the first defense to ever accomplish that in the super bowl era. 2013 Seattle won a super bowl with a rookie QB, and their defense didn't do that. The 85 bears didn't do that. The 2000 Ravens, who won a super bowl with Trent fucking dilfer, didn't do that either.

I don't wanna hear it.
Are you saying the 2017 Jaguars defense is better than the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it?

In the modern day era of scoring offenses, are those not at least debatable comparisons?
I dunno man, I'd call their defense more opportunistic than smothering. They've got a top secondary kind of like the Broncos had a couple years ago, and their run defense is much improved from earlier in the season, but I just can't compare them to those two legendary defenses. I'm skeptical also because they haven't shut down any good offenses this season (no, Pittsburgh is not a good offense this year), mostly feasting on weak teams with struggling qbs. If they can step up and stop a legit offense like the patriots I'll be more impressed. Beating the likes of Tom savage, Jacoby brisket, QBBROWNS, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton doesn't quite do it for me.

xJownage

I dunno man, I'd call their defense more opportunistic than smothering. They've got a top secondary kind of like the Broncos had a couple years ago, and their run defense is much improved from earlier in the season, but I just can't compare them to those two legendary defenses. I'm skeptical also because they haven't shut down any good offenses this season (no, Pittsburgh is not a good offense this year), mostly feasting on weak teams with struggling qbs. If they can step up and stop a legit offense like the patriots I'll be more impressed. Beating the likes of Tom savage, Jacoby brisket, QBBROWNS, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton doesn't quite do it for me.
I mean, I'd consider philip rivers in a pretty high tier, but you're right. They get the seahawks in 2 weeks at home, which is a better measuring stick defensively, however the one thing I strongly disagree with is you saying the defense is opportunistic and not smothering. They've smothered almost everybody's offensive line, especially as of late with the addition of Dareus in which they lead the NFL in rush yards allowed per game since that addition. They've smothered most recievers, including deandre hopkins (who roasted patrick peterson, who's widely regarded as the best cb in the NFL right now, with the same qb - Tom Savage), AJ Green (who had 1 catch before his ejection), among others.

An opportunistic defense implies that they allow the offense to get what it's going to get and wait for a mistake to be made. The jaguars this season have been both smothering and opportunistic, making almost all offenses struggle AND making the most of every chance they get.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Patrick Peterson is not and has not ever been an elite cb despite all his hype.

Also I’m with waterbomb on this that just the quality of play in the league this year is so blatantly lower it’s like trying to argue what year was it 2011?? Was very representative of the passing capabilities of many teams. Like 3 people went for 5000 yards or something that season. The Patriots defense has been “doing well” lately but it seems pretty clear all they’re doing is watching opponents fuck up.

I’m not saying the Jags defense is not really good but going all in on greatest of all time? Need a lot more data.

Is it?

In the modern day era of scoring offenses, are those not at least debatable comparisons?
2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos are also among the greatest, so those are more recent teams to compare to. Jaguars are on pace to match those seasons, if I'm correct.

I do remember reading an article a while ago with an in-depth comparison of the Seahawks and Bears, numbers and all (with consideration to today's scoring league). The person did conclude that the Bears were better.

xJownage

2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos are also among the greatest, so those are more recent teams to compare to. Jaguars are on pace to match those seasons, if I'm correct.

I do remember reading an article a while ago with an in-depth comparison of the Seahawks and Bears, numbers and all (with consideration to today's scoring league). The person did conclude that the Bears were better.
Jaguars are outpacing them actually lol. Again no defense in the super bowl era has ever finished first in scoring defense, total defense, pass defense, sacks, and takeaways.

Also I think any statistical comparison of any 85 defense and any 13 defense is probably extremely flawed because I don't think you can make an accurate comparison between defenses in completely different leagues. That's why the jaguars sack total is so impressive to analysts; it's much harder to get sacks in today's dink and dunk NFL.

Jaguars are outpacing them actually lol. Again no defense in the super bowl era has ever finished first in scoring defense, total defense, pass defense, sacks, and takeaways.

Also I think any statistical comparison of any 85 defense and any 13 defense is probably extremely flawed because I don't think you can make an accurate comparison between defenses in completely different leagues. That's why the jaguars sack total is so impressive to analysts; it's much harder to get sacks in today's dink and dunk NFL.
Not only that, but it infuriates me to see Von Miller being held 20 times a game and nothing being flagged. For the Jags, it's the same. Their pass rushers would get even more sacks of the OL stopped holding because the officials would flag. The NFL so wants the offense to be scoring points that they only flag holding on pass rushers if it's really blatant.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I mean, if we're gonna talk penalties we can talk about how Dallas' opponents literally just don't get called for holding. Miller would feel right at home.

Lord knows they need the help whenever Glass Joe misses time...

Since tomorrow night's game shouldn't have any affect on the top ten, here's the Harrison guess.

Eagles
Patriots
Steelers
Vikings
Rams
Saints
Panthers
Falcons
Seahawks
Lions

Easy. Rams and Saints switch up. Saints drop no lower than above Panthers, as they have the better standing between the two. Falcons and Hawks obviously maintain relevance with their wins. Lions at least lost to a good opponent, and shouldn't be knocked out the list yet.

That said, it can be argued that the Lions loss should be enough to move the Vikings above the Steelers since the former almost let the Rodgers-less Packers almost force a 30+ point overtime, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)