The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I listen to that show and that's not what he was saying at all. He was saying how people constantly search for reasons for success that's unprecedented and how in Manning's waning years he had al jazeera going through his wife's medicines to find steroids he might be using but we don't see many stories wondering about how it is that Brady is able to keep playing like this at his old age.

Fundamentally he's asking what is it that makes Brady good and why is no one else asking this question? And also he's commenting on how the knee-jerk reaction of sports is to assume it's not because of actual greatness but for other reasons like Favre letting Strahan sack him, or giving a soft pitch to the old decrepit Cal Ripken Jr, or people assuming Peyton was taking roids.

But yeah man, keep circling those wagons.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Actually, do the jags not have a perfect opportunity to pick a QB high like mayfield? If he's on the board at 29, why not bring in a winner and a proven leader, and a four year college starter on top of that? You have the defense and running game to support his upbringing, and even the line that gave up only 22 sacks all season. Hell, you could even bench him for a year and have bortles play with his heir apparent riding his ass; this is definitely a team that could handle a rookie QB and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do so.

Otherwise, I heavily doubt that Cousins will be playing for the jags. It's just not in the interests of Caldwell or Marrone, who want to build a good team using continuity which will require cap space. The only QB I see the jags picking up in free agency is Bridgewater. He's the only non-expensive guy with a higher ceiling than bortles (who played too well down the stretch last year to say he's "trash").

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
@ everyone in this thread.

Who cares if we have money tied to Flacco? If we think that Mayfield or whoever is available at our pick is the next big QB, why the fuck would we not take them? Sit him a year and make him take the job from Flacco if you have to (it won't take long).

@ everyone in this thread.

Who cares if we have money tied to Flacco? If we think that Mayfield or whoever is available at our pick is the next big QB, why the fuck would we not take them? Sit him a year and make him take the job from Flacco if you have to (it won't take long).
I think it was assumed you meant move on from him right away. You're right, getting the next QB to sit would be ideal for them. Still, that leaves the WR question standing if they take a QB in the first round, because they have the worst WR lineup in the league next to a couple other teams. Maybe they'll wait another year to grab a QB so he doesn't has ever to sit two and will see if a refreshed WR/RB will help Flacco be not complete shit next year. I mean, it's Flacco. I think he's bad regardless, but I know some of those personnel in Baltimore still loves him. And the media can't seem to get with the fact that he's not elite.

In other news, Jacksonville is finally getting rid of those awful helmets they've had since 2013. A quote from the article I read: "...a flawed idea made worse by sloppy execution. The helmet combines both gloss and matte finishes, when it should be one or the other. The gradient between the gold and the black looks like an abrupt, hard line down the side of the helmet when there should be a smooth transition. And possibly most grating of all is that the colors are in the wrong spots — if the black were on the back of the helmet, it would create an image of the jaguar leaping out of the shadows in attack. Instead, he’s jumping into the darkness, a fitting symbol for how the Jaguars played for four of the five years they donned this helmet..."
Hopefully Khan doesn't fuck up again because a team (minus trash bortles) as cool as the jags deserves a good uniform/helmet design.

The redskins just fucked their whole franchise for like three more seasons, Kirk Cousins and Jordan Reed are the two best offensive players on their team and one is injured 24/7 and the other just got traded.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The redskins just fucked their whole franchise for like three more seasons, Kirk Cousins and Jordan Reed are the two best offensive players on their team and one is injured 24/7 and the other just got traded.
Dan Snyder's sole purpose since buying the team has been to fuck the franchise, this isn't anything new.

Cousins was never going to resign with Washington after the way he's been treated by the front office the last two seasons. With his pick of the litter I'd really be shocked if he didn't choose Denver, maybe he wants to live in Florida or something but why on earth would he pick the Jets or Browns.

Huge draft implications though, I would honestly be surprised if we didn't see three QBs (and we could easily see 4) go by the top 6 picks. QB at 1/2 seems likely, and if the Broncos land Cousins some team is going to be likely to jump ahead of the Jets to land the next QB off the board, with the Browns/Broncos easy suitors. Forget making it to the end of the round, Mayfield won't make it past the Jets, and I'm willing to bet Lamar Jackson doesn't have to wait long either.

This could be the highest ranked QB class since 83, not that I'm expecting any of these guys to be Elway/Marino level yet.

Last edited:
Kirk Cousins would actually be stupid to not go to the Jets, Broncos are great now obviously but he should be surrounded around a young team

At least he'll have sanders and thomas, two wideouts who know how to somewhat play. slightly off topic but i think that DeAndre Hopkins is the best Wideout in the NFL. He has such good balance and spacial awareness needed to make crucial catches. I honestly think that Odell Beckham Jr. Is Overrated.

Remember when Colin Kaepernick was actually a good and exciting/electrifying QB and not a Protestor? Gosh those were the days...

Kirk Cousins would actually be stupid to not go to the Jets, Broncos are great now obviously but he should be surrounded around a young team
Cousins won't choose a team for football reasons alone. New York is a stressful team to play for and the ownership situation isn't a large improvement on Washington. State taxes don't mean much to me and you, but someone with $150 million at stake probably doesn't want to give that extra 3-4% to New York or New Jersey. Not to mention the odds of winning a Super Bowl are probably higher in Denver anyway, and projecting more than 2 years or so is impossible.

The Jets can offer more money than the Broncos though (who will have to cut Talib and probably DT just to make it work) but I'd put them at a distant third after the Broncos and Jaguars. We'll see come March I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)