The Everything NFL Thread - 2018-2019 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This week, we discuss the Houston Texans and their 6 game win streak, the New Orleans Saints ending the LA Rams unbeaten run, the Baltimore Ravens and their need to move on from Joe Flacco and the ineptitude of the Dallas Cowboys. Additionally, an out of nowhere QB performance is lauded, while I lose it at the poorly named "Pooch Punt", and its place in the modern NFL.

Full power rankings can be found here: https://www.sidelinespice.com/single-post/2018/11/08/Week-9-2018-NFL-Power-Rankings

Haven't given my pats thoughts (I know everyone here waits for them with baited breath) so here goes:

For once I have no idea what to make of the Patriots this year in terms of their strengths and weaknesses

I know they're a good team but they aren't as offensively consistent as they've been in past years.

Brady is seeing teams drop into coverage against him at a historic rate this season and it definitely seems to be effecting him a bit. The rotating cast of dudes around him doesn't help much either. I think Sony Michel might be the most important non-Brady player on offense this year because defenses are basically begging them to run the ball and they have arguably the best group of run blockers in the league on the oline.

Defensively they've been torched 3 times by the jags,lions and chiefs, but outside of that have been solid and are getting pressure on the opposing QB at a top 5 rate this season (Brian Flores hype). Trey flowers is playing like a top 5 dlinemen and its looking like his floor is 16 million a year in free agency after this season. Gilmore is playing like a Top 5 corner and is basically erasing everyone he lines up against. The defense might actually be pretty good but I still go into every game thinking they'll get torched.

All and all I think the pats are the second best team in the league behind the Saints mostly because they haven't come close to hitting their potential offensively.

Josh Gordon Hype btw

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And to think the steelers could have saved themselves all this headache by just paying bell two years ago. Most contracts have all the guaranteed money front loaded anyway and the organization could have just released him after this season with minimal fuss. I still think leveon went about it badly but the team didn't do themselves any favors by continually tagging one of he best RBS in the league.
It hasn't been much of a headache since Conner started exploding. Bell's best chance to return and regain his stature was after Pittsburgh first lost to the ravens. Now that they've figured out Conner is a stud they couldn't care less about what bell does. If they still had any thoughts about meeting his demands, they certainly don't now. And, quite frankly, neither does the rest of the league. There is no way now that bell gets a bigger contract than Gurley, with him being another year older and showing his true attitude. At this point, he'd be fortunate to even get an offer as good as the one the Steelers made him.

oh hey look more rankings; took a break last week because fuck midterms huh Stallion

one thing ill say: y'all should really just move people around more often. its more fun and who cares tbh

tldr: packers down four, redskins down three, falcons above jags, fins down three, colts up five, titans = lions, bucs up two, 49ers over jets, saints over rams

packers: mike mccarthy is just beyond inept. I've never seen a team just sorta collapse in the fourth quarter but its baffling as to how they are wasting a QBs career in Aaron Rodgers. After the aaron jones fumble shit just went straight downhill with a mix of injuries + offensive ineptitude. Trading off players as if you're rebuilding while you hold one of the best QBs in the league is just so stupid so they need to suffer on power rankings as a result. the seahawks looked somewhat competitive against the chargers as bobby wagner had an amazing game, wilson did just enough minus the desmond king pick-six. I'd argue that the falcons are better than the packers; sure the pack still has the likes of jaire alexander, matthews, but they're marred by injuries. falcons suck defensively too but maybe sarkisian has dug his head out of his ass so their offense seems to be doing better. sincerely from a bears/chargers fan: fuck the packers

redskins: speaking of injuries, guess who else is injured as shit? redskins. alex smith just doesn't look that good and the group of people he's throwing to dwindles by the minute. Their gameplan of starving your offense and then shoving adrian peterson down the field works great but it doesn't work if you're losing by two scores like 10 minutes in. Also that gameplan relies on a solid defense, and lo and behold the defense got torched by matt ryan and co. TBF NFC east is about as awful as a gas station bathroom is this year but i think the eagles will win that division.

falcons > jags: jags defense is just not as good as it used to be. matt ryan > blake bortles. can you name a jags WR? i thought so. the defense can't carry the jags anymore, at least not while the offensive routinely decides to go out on the field and imitate a fish out of the water 90% of the time. maybe fournette coming back will help but based on this week they are bootycheeks.

colts: oh man the colts have finally figured it out. you have a great WR-QB duo in hilton-luck. your RB in marlon mack is doing things. colts o-line is surprisingly good this year. sure they don't have a defense but nor does atlanta, who i like. push the horsies up.

bucs: benching famous jameis alone should make the bucs go up in the power rankings. fitzmagic is better than 50% of the QBs in the league right now, and they have a decent crew of people to throw to. Again, they have no defense, but so far a lot of teams are relying on no defense shootouts to win. Bucs have proven that they can matchup somewhat to this shootout style, although they still lose(L vs ATL, L vs CAR, L vs bungos).

49ers: nick mullens is a functional QB. sam darnold is not. rank the 49ers up one. also when can i marry george kittle?

fins: if you have to start brock lobster you deserve to move down. their win over the jets is the definition of shit win. I think I'd rather eat tide pods than watch that game again. gase continues to misuse drake. defense is ok but you could say that about any defense versus the jets.

saints over rams: i think del rio or some other smart people were yelling about how people keep sleeping on the saints. I'll yell a bit too and say that if you beat the #1 team on p much everyones rankings you should snatch their spot. Rams defense got murdered despite getting a d-line upgrade, kamara seems to be a do-it-all RB minus running into the box which lets be honest nowadays is not a good formula. Shrug and co. has mildly convinced me that RBs have transitioned into more of a pass-catcher than a ground and pound position. Brees still has it, and the crew of people he's gonna throw to gets better and better with Dez now in the mix. Saints defense is still not good by any stretch but honestly who needs a defense when your offense will just score on every possession? you literally just need to force like three total three-and-outs throughout the entire game and your odds of winning just astronomically increase. that's just stupid as to how you can win w/o a defense but thats what the saints have done in the past few weeks.

also ill post a hot take here so that i can get endlessly roasted when it doesn't happen

chargers lose only one of their remaining games: i'll say its on the road against the steelers. joey bosa decapitates patrick "shooowtime" mahomes and the charge goes to the super bowl only for keenan allen to tear his acl marching onto the field or something stupid. we lose to the patriots again because thats what roger wrote in the script.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
also ill post a hot take here so that i can get endlessly roasted when it doesn't happen

chargers lose only one of their remaining games: i'll say its on the road against the steelers. joey bosa decapitates patrick "shooowtime" mahomes and the charge goes to the super bowl only for keenan allen to tear his acl marching onto the field or something stupid. we lose to the patriots again because thats what roger wrote in the script.
Hard for you to lose in the superbowl to the Patriots when you're both in the afc

Marlon Mccree intercepting Tom Brady to win the game against the Patriots and then fumbling to give the Patriots a free first down at the end of the 2006 AFC championship is a sneaky pick for the luckiest play of all time. 12 yr old me was confused as fuck

Probably killed the Chargers franchise

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How about that Connor concussion, Bell is ringing in Pittsburgh right now (sucks for my fantasy team tho)
It's his first concussion that I know of and he doesn't have a history of them. Obviously every case is different but he has ten days to clear the protocol, and it's probably not even that severe considering he didn't show much in the way of symptoms during the game and was even cleared in the blue tent briefly before leaving anyway. I think he'll be just fine.

It's his first concussion that I know of and he doesn't have a history of them. Obviously every case is different but he has ten days to clear the protocol, and it's probably not even that severe considering he didn't show much in the way of symptoms during the game and was even cleared in the blue tent briefly before leaving anyway. I think he'll be just fine.
More concerning is that he visited the tent multiple times during the game, then still came back in. If he was showing any concussion symptoms, why did the team drs let him back into the game?

He’s probably fine but someone should be looking into that.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
More concerning is that he visited the tent multiple times during the game, then still came back in. If he was showing any concussion symptoms, why did the team drs let him back into the game?

He’s probably fine but someone should be looking into that.
Afaik the blue tent is the independent neurologist, not the team dr. Either way I'm sure we'll know more in the coming days.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
watching the patriots over the years as a jets fan has made it rlly clear that they were on the forefront of the spread and shred concepts that currently run the league. but ive always wondered: why havent teams tried to replicate the two TE offense the patriots had in the gronkowski-hernandez era? in a metagame with a lot of nickel as the go-to to stop the pass, there seems to be an opportunity for bigger tight ends to get a mu edge. and in terms of roster-building id wager tight ends are going for more value than wrs are rn.

Gonna pretend like this Pats game never happened

Only about 1/5 people actually know Tennessee has a football team anyway

Joe Flacco has been the NFL's worst starting QB since that superbowl and the fact that they've stuck with him this long should tarnish the legacy of Ossie Newsome, John Harbaugh and ownership.

AFC Eli Manning

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
im a naughty little troll so: the rams should trade goff and sign kapernick. should trade gurley too (repeat take)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)