The future of home console Pokémon

Will battle games such as Pokémon Stadium or Pokémon Battle Revolution be discontinued?

• Total voters
Surfchu plz
Seriously we didn't get one last gen at all what's up with that?
I think we got Flychu with Knock Off. It's Timid though

If they were to incorporate the good elements of PBR into an XD or XY type game, they would have a huge success.

If GF took the plunge and made a real time action game spinoff, or maybe a low delay RPG like KOTOR, they might have a huge success. Perhaps even a Wii U system seller.
I would combine all-in-one: Master Battles, using your Pokémon, gifts (objects and Pokemon [Power Gems plz]), and a history mode to get something with exclusive moves, similar to Shadow Pokémon. And minigames.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It was a masterpeice. And now an absolute cult classic. There aren't many flaws with Snap to be honest... It's a very different take on an "on rails" shooter. The WiiU would be perfect (As well as the 3DS) for a remake or 2nd game.

I liked PBR to be honest, the game modes were often challenging but lacking minigames ruined it for me compared to the Stadium games (Hitmontop Beyblades and Classroom Clefairy were the best). I probably spent more time in the minigames than I did in the stadium modes...

Colosseum and XD were a very different take on Pokemon. Colo for sure was a much darker, edgier storyline than the main Pokemon games, and I think that was reflected very well in the cast/storyline. I wouldn't mind seeing another game of this type (but dear god give us more Pokemon options). With the advent of Pokebank, we have no need for a "game" along the lines of Ranch either. Europe didnt even get the Platinum update for that which was fairly dissapointing.

As for the future of the home games... I think it's rather hit and miss. Nintendo knows Pokemon sells consoles, but they are booming in the handheld market. They would have to do something very different to what X and Y can now provide to get people interested in buying the game.
The lack of selection in Colo combined with everything being Doubles made it one of the few legitimately hard games in the franchise, and I appreciate it for that.

I personally never played Snap or the Stadium games (I never owned a N64 and I was like 5 when I started playing Pokemon), so I think another Stadium with all of the original minigames would be a cool idea, since everyone seems to gush about those.

As far as new material, I personally would love a console title to have a stronger emphasis on story-telling. An epic console title needs an epic story, after all.

If GF took the plunge and made a real time action game spinoff, or maybe a low delay RPG like KOTOR, they might have a huge success. Perhaps even a Wii U system seller.
I doubt they will make them again. PBR got bad reviews and both Colosseum and XD only sold about two million copies together versus Ruby and Sapphire which sold 16 million copies of the game along with the six million copies that Pokemon Emerald sold.
The thing is, Pokemon is now a sufficiently long-running franchise that a significant fraction of its audience are university-age and older. But so far GameFreak doesn't seem to have realised this - why else would we have two Mega Charizards, two Mega Mewtwos, and Pokemon Origins coming round the corner? It's a genwunner's wet dream, seemingly there only to hook back in people who played back in the nineties and who have fond memories. I've not ruled out remakes of the gen I remakes either...

But that shouldn't be the way GameFreak tries to attract young adults. (WHAT?) Pokemon is evolving, constantly, and just regressing to Gen I stuff is not the way to go. Look at New Super Mario Bros, which is basically the same thing applied to everyone's favourite plumber, and which was first released about 20 years into Mario's career, a milestone Pokemon is now approaching. The games all sell like hot cakes, and they are quite fun even, but what was the best Mario game on the Wii? I'd reckon 90% of people who had played them would say Galaxy 1 or 2 and very few people would even mention NSMBW.

So, basically, we should be hoping that GameFreak continues to attract mature players, but not in such a backward-looking way. It should also acknowledge that the people who have played it from the beginning have grown up and want something with, for example, some actual challenge. A Colosseum-style game that was attractive to adults would probably outperform its predecessors (which didn't have shabby sales, you know, 2 million each is not bad) because the audience is there. Wii U sales have skyrocketed recently with the Mario Kart 8 boom, and the future may look brighter for the console after E3, so even that may become less problematic than it is at the moment.

Last edited:
PBR would be better if everyone and their mom didn't use legendary ubers. The graphics were also pretty bad, a lot of the older Pokemon looked straight from Pokemon Stadium. I would prefer a Stadium 3 or a sequel to the GameCube games than another PBR. A console main game is never gonna happen.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
PBR would be better if everyone and their mom didn't use legendary ubers. The graphics were also pretty bad, a lot of the older Pokemon looked straight from Pokemon Stadium. I would prefer a Stadium 3 or a sequel to the GameCube games than another PBR. A console main game is never gonna happen.
I agree with the ubers being annoying, but that is nothing against the game itself imo. The Pokemon models from Stadium were also reused in Colosseum and XD, so why is PBR any different? You can see similar reusing with:
The Skyloft stage in SSB4 on the Wii U. The graphics appear to be ripped from LoZ: Skyward Sword with little to no editing done to them.

The difference here is that Wii -> Wii U heavily updated the graphics for the game, especially as it made it HD. GCN -> Wii... not so much. I didn't even notice the Stadium models in PBR playing casually through it at release date, but I did playing casually through Colosseum, strangely enough... If anything, the Wii's graphics got worse from my younger perspective >_>

Also I'm interested to hear why you believe a console main game is never going to happen, because Game Freak knows that it would sell a hell of a lot. Besides, if your argument is that Game Freak doesn't like developing for consoles, which I believe is true, they can re-hire The Pokémon Company (the creators of the GCN games) and ask them to make a main-series game for the Wii U.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
The lack of selection in Colo combined with everything being Doubles made it one of the few legitimately hard games in the franchise, and I appreciate it for that.
It was harder yes, but the lack of different options also meant replayability went down a looooong way compared to other games. You could barely make up more than 2 or maybe 3 teams with the options available, and even then you pretty much ended up with pretty similar teams. XD pretty much required you to use Teddiursa for a decent chunk of game, and in Colo the same can be said for Makuhita.

I think that gamefreak know that they have found a siginificant niche in the handheld market... Why would you mess with that? It would be nice to have a partner app for Bank on the WiiU though so you can organise things there if you wanted rather than on your 3DS. Maybe view models in 3D etc too.

Game Freak knows that it (a home-console main-series Pokemon game) would sell a hell of a lot.
Worldwide 3DS sales: 46 million
Worldwide Pokemon X and Y sales: 12 million
Worldwide Wii U sales: 8 million

Even discounting that the Pokemon series has always been designed with handhelds in mind, making games for the 3DS is going to make way more money for Game Freak just from the sales numbers of Nintendo's respective consoles. Maybe if the games were made by Nintendo themselves then we might conceivably see a main-series Pokemon game on the Wii U to try and breathe some life into the console. But why would Game Freak have any vested interest in how many Wii Us are getting sold?

I really liked XD, especially with it giving access to moves that certain pokemon still can't even learn in other ways today. Perhaps most notably, Baton Pass Zapdos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)