The Future of Smogon Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://beta.smogon.com/tournaments/

The plan is for us to eliminate the dependancy we have on the forums and to move more towards the site. From now on when somebody wants to host a tournament, they will come to me as always. However, this time the host will be requird to make a site for their tournament. This will show that the host is dedicated and willing to carry out the tournament. We plan on all future tournaments having miniature sites in which the user's can sign up. Smogon Tour sign-ups will take place on the site as well. Pairings for the tour will be created through the site. (However, other tournaments will not, it will be the responsibility of the host to do pairings and other things. There are too many formats for us to have every little detail available.)

As you can see, there are recognized tournaments. These are the tournaments which are more 'official' than the rest. As of now, we only have the Annual Smogon Official Tournaments and Sneakville.

The Hall of Fame will have users who have accomplished things, such as winning an Official Smogon Tournament, or a Smogon Tour.

Archives will basically have the name of every tournament that has ever been hosted on smogon and the winner of them. There will also be warstories from important battles in the Recognized Tournaments and Smogon Tours.

I will probably need help in getting all of the archives of previous winners. I am still looking for a reliable person to do write-ups on major tournaments. I'm not looking for suggestions, so don't suggest anything. If you want to help, let me know and it will be greatly appreciated.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I could help with stuff like compiling archives of previous winners and maybe even do a few write ups. Also I like the direction this is going, looks great :)

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I really like the look of this; nice job. I'm of course willing to help with anything except writing up the warstories. I'm afraid they would be rather dry if I did those.

So, you are saying if we don't know enough to host a webpage, we can't run tournaments? Do you want these things on geocities or similar things, or is smogon hosting tournament minipages?

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I applied for that too. Though, tbh, the best warstories are the ones which the actual players write themselves.

Justin8649 said:
Archives will basically have the name of every tournament that has ever been hosted on smogon and the winner of them. There will also be warstories from important battles in the Recognized Tournaments and Smogon Tours.
Got bored so what I could visibly point out with..

RBY UU - Bugsy23
(RBY Underused)
Spectrum - Groudon80
(ADV Uber/OU/BL/UU/NU/Pre)
RBY Team Tournament - 180.Roger/Siphai/Noobster
(Teams of 3 in RBY)
ADV UU Tournament - spies
(ADV Underused)
Metronome Tournament - Devilkid
(ADV Metronome)
Corsola Cup - Groudon80
(ADV Neverused)
RPT - Fish
(ADV Teams of randomly chosen Pokemon)
Wynoming Tournament - Hipno
(Random Challenge Cups)
GSC UU Tournament - Mekkah
(GSC Underused)
Return of XS 200 - Giga Punch"
(RS 200)
Triforce - gdpt/180.Roger/jpchato
(Teams of 3, each doing ADV/GSC/RBY)
IBT - char (Pojo)
(Teamed RBY Tournament)

This is all before the archives part of the forums though.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What's the difference between a "recognised tournament" and a "current tournament"?

Could we have another table: "Past Tournaments" with a Winner column?

In my opinion it would be good if, when creating a tournament, the host inputted all the information (rules, number of spots etc) into a form and the form then outputted an official page, hosted on smogon. Ideas for features:
  • Sign Up button which will enter you into the tournament or register you as a substitute if the number of spots is full. Registers under your forum name.
  • Automatic start - once all the places have been filled, the tournament starts (but substitute sign ups are still open until the end of Round 1). Also applies to rounds - once R1 is finished, R2 starts. Not a feature of the page itself.
  • Alerts, perhaps in the form of PMs, to every player when a new round starts, informing them of their opponent.
  • Form for players to enter the results of the match. Once a score (or more likely just a result - "I won" or "I lost" would be nice and simple) has been inputted by one of the players, the opponent has to confirm/deny it. Conflicts go to the tournament host.
Basically what I'm saying is that making tournaments an automated process would take the strain off the host and make them go a lot smoother/faster. The host would still have to settle disputes such as no-shows, score disputes and rule breaking, naturally.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I just want to say that I think the war stories should not be written by the competitors themselves..

It would be better if they were written by an observer imo, just to keep the pretence that they are neutral..

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)