The Great Pledge [Seeking banner]

Approved by Eevee General

The Great Pledge
In BW, Game Freak introduced the moves Fire Pledge, Water Pledge and Grass Pledge, which in Double and Triple Battles could combo together for amazing effects. However, they didn't see much use since the moves were limited to starters (and Smeargle) and were outclassed by Flamethrower, Scald and Energy Ball respectively. But what if you could summon a Pledge combo as soon as you switch in? In this metagame you can! Here's how:

Step 1: Have a Fire / Water / Grass Pokémon
Step 2: Give it the IVs for Hidden Power Fire, Water or Grass

Breakdown

Fire type Pokémon + HP Water = Summons a Rainbow over your side of the battlefield that doubles the chances of secondary effects occurring. Doesn't stack with Serene Grace
Fire type Pokémon + HP Grass = Summons a sea of Fire over the opponent's side which deals 1/8th damage at the end of every turn. Doesn't work in Rain
Water type Pokémon + HP Fire = Summons a Rainbow
Water type Pokémon + HP Grass = Summons a Swamp on the opponent's side which reduces their Speed by 2 stages. Still works on Pokémon with Clear Body / White Smoke, and doesn't trigger Defiant or Competitive
Grass type Pokémon + HP Fire = Summons a Sea of Fire
Grass type Pokémon + HP Water = Summons a Swamp

Banlist

OU Banlist
OU Clauses
Nothing else yet

Strategy

All 3 Pledge effects can be very beneficial to various Pokémon. Bulky Water types can summon a rainbow and abuse Scalds with a 60% burn rate. Slow Grass and Water types can summon a Swamp to negate their low Speed - Mega Abomasnow can outrun Terrakion in a swamp. Wallbreakers and stallbreakers like Heatran and Volcanion respectively, can summon a Sea of Fire to help them wear down foes.

Increased viability

Heatran's defensive set can summon a Rainbow to give its Lava Plumes a 60% chance to burn the opponent. Its stallbreaker set can summon a Sea of Fire, which combined with Magma Storm and Toxic, can wear down foes very quickly.

Azumarill's main flaw is its low Speed. That can easily be patched up by summoning a Swamp. In a Swamp, it can outrun everything south of Mega Alakazam if it runs a Jolly nature. So you have a Pokémon which hits extremely hard, and is effectively very fast.

Decreased viability

Eviolite walls can get worn down very quickly with the Sea of Fire and possible burn or poison damage, making them less effective overall.

Focus Sash in general is less effective, with passive damage being more prevalent. The only reliable users of Focus Sash are Pokémon with Magic Guard.

Q & A

Is it playable?

Yes, you can play it here: DragonHeaven

How long do the Pledge effects last for?

4 turns. There is no way to lengthen them.

What happens if a Pledge is already in effect and the opponent starts a new one?

It overrides the old one in the case of Swamp and Sea of Fire.

What are the IVs for Hidden Power Fire, Water and Grass?

HP Fire: 31/30/31/30/31/30
HP Water: 31/30/30/30/31/31
HP Grass: 31/30/31/30/31/31

What about Volcanion and Ludicolo?

As their primary typing is Fire and Water, respectively, they can only summon the pledges that combo with those types.

Viability Rankings

Coming soon

Last edited:
Reserved for Replays, sample sets and sample teams

Replays

Sample Sets
Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Sacred Fire
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze

Here you have a mon with a 100% burn chance. I also threw Iron Head on there so you can flinch things. This is not as good as it sounds, as opposing status absorbers and Fire types will be common in this metagame as a means of taking on burns. Regardless, if you don't have a good switch-in, prepare to get burned. Sacred Fire can probably be used almost defensively, given that it is a guaranteed burn.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- U-turn
- Rest

Manaphy seems like a really solid pivot that can set up a Pledge effect and U-Turn into another pokemon to take advantage of it. Either Swamp or Rainbow offer a lot in terms of team support, plus Manaphy can use Rain Dance to counter opposing Seas of Fire, and to support the team. It seems like a really solid switch in to Scald spammers too, cause it absorbs status. Of course, Manaphy can use those effects offensively too, so it seems like a super viable pick. Swamp Tail Glow looks like a really good set.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock/Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball/Power Whip
- Protect

With Sea of Fire and Leech Seed + Protect, Ferrothorn can really wear down opponents. Against a pokemon with no recovery, using Leech Seed and then Protect takes away 50% of their health. Ferrothorn is also a really solid switch-in to Water types, which are sure to be common. It makes offensive pokemon struggle to switch into Ferrothorn, as they may only be able to so it once or twice and suddenly they aren't checks anymore.

Sample Teams

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Scald already has a 100% burn chance why bother with the rainbow

My first thoughts were Tail Glow Manaphy, SD Feraligatr and SD Abomasnow (all with HP Grass/Water) - these tend to struggle with faster mons but now they can out speed and smash stuff. There is also potential for "pledge pivots": FWG mons with a pivoting move, to get other goodmons in. Scarf Terrak with Rock Slide could be an excellent cleaner under the Rainbow, for example.

FWG spam ==> Time to play Dragon-types.

Mega Charizard X can set a rainbow AND be a good switch-in to Scald/Lava Plume AND handle the Magic Guard Clefables that will be running around. Lando-T and Hippowdon will be worse on account of every new mechanic working against them, so it even has fewer checks there. I can't check right now, but I bet Quagsire drops to DClaw or EQ after burning sea damage. Clearly a threat.

FWG spam ==> Time to play Dragon-types.

Mega Charizard X can set a rainbow AND be a good switch-in to Scald/Lava Plume AND handle the Magic Guard Clefables that will be running around. Lando-T and Hippowdon will be worse on account of every new mechanic working against them, so it even has fewer checks there. I can't check right now, but I bet Quagsire drops to DClaw or EQ after burning sea damage. Clearly a threat.
A sea of fire does the same damage as regular poison

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and poison damage

But if its Leftovers gets Knocked Off...

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 56.6% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and poison damage.
That's scary

Last edited:
Quick question: does Rainbow double the chance of added effects not caused as an additional effect of the move? (eg: Stench, Poison Touch, King's Rock) There's nothing saying it does, but if so, we could be in business. Probably just works like Serene Grace though.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Sacred Fire
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze

Here you have a mon with a 100% burn chance. I also threw Iron Head on there so you can flinch things. This is not as good as it sounds, as opposing status absorbers and Fire types will be common in this metagame as a means of taking on burns. Regardless, if you don't have a good switch-in, prepare to get burned. Sacred Fire can probably be used almost defensively, given that it is a guaranteed burn. Maybe a set like Sacred Fire/Protect/Extreme Speed/Filler could work, stalling to wear down the opposing Keldeo or what have you before picking it off with Extreme Speed. Nah that's too gimmicky.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold/Relaxed Nature
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- U-turn
- Rest

Manaphy seems like a really solid pivot that can set up a Pledge effect and U-Turn into another pokemon to take advantage of it. Either Swamp or Rainbow offer a lot in terms of team support, plus Manaphy can use Rain Dance to counter opposing Seas of Fire, and to support the team. It seems like a really solid switch in to Scald spammers too, cause it absorbs status. Of course, Manaphy can use those effects offensively too, so it seems like a super viable pick. Swamp Tail Glow looks like a really good set.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock/Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball/Power Whip
- Protect

With Sea of Fire and Leech Seed + Protect, Ferrothorn can really wear down opponents. Against a pokemon with no recovery, using Leech Seed and then Protect takes away 50% of their health. Ferrothorn is also a really solid switch-in to Water types, which are sure to be common. It makes offensive pokemon struggle to switch into Ferrothorn, as they may only be able to so it once or twice and suddenly they aren't checks anymore.

Last edited:
Quick question: does Rainbow double the chance of added effects not caused as an additional effect of the move? (eg: Stench, Poison Touch, King's Rock) There's nothing saying it does, but if so, we could be in business. Probably just works like Serene Grace though.
I think it only functions with attacks a la Serene Grace.

That's an interesting idea, having walls use the Sea of Fire to rack up passive damage on the opponents. Those are some interesting sets - mind if I add them to Sample sets? The only change I'd suggest is running a Bold nature on Manaphy so you don't gimp Scald's power.

Those are some interesting sets - mind if I add them to Sample sets? The only change I'd suggest is running a Bold nature on Manaphy so you don't gimp Scald's power.
Go right ahead. I didn't give manaphy the proper IVs for either Pledge effect so you could add those for easy copypasting. Also no idea why I didn't give it a Bold nature, oops.

This is a really cool metagame. Not just because of the smart mechanics and multiple options, but because it let's me use one of my favorite pokemon much better.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 31/30/30/30/31/31
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Focus Punch
- Rock Tomb

This metagame is incredibly kind to slow water and grass types. The swamp allows Breloom to outspeed and put to sleep almost anything, essentially making it a fast spore user. It now has no need for Mach Punch, and it can utilize the many switches it forces due to sleep to use focus Punch as one of its main attacks. And it can break through the slowed pokemon with its powerful combination of Bullet Seed and Rock Tomb.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is great at running either the swamp or the rainbow. With HP Grass IVs, it can become a deadly wallbreaker that outspeeds practically anything the opponent sends out due to its already high speed. Or, it can run HP Fire IVs for that nice 60% Burn chance with scald. It all depends on which is more useful for your team. Either way, Keldeo us a very threatening mon in this meta.

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 31/30/31/30/31/31
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Suprisingly, Talonflame gains no offensive advantage from the pledges it has acess to. However, with gale wings and HP Grass IVs, it's capable of being one of the best checks to grass-type swamp abusers AND an amazing stallbreaker with Roost, Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and the sea of fire. This monster can obliterate stall, and deal with mons like Breloom and Mega Abomasnow at the same time. It's a great pick for teams that struggle against stall or powerful grass-type wallbreakers.

Feel free to put those in sample sets, I'm not quite sure if they're good enough, but if you think it is, I'd be happy to see it there.

When i was thinking of FWG pivots to abuse, amoonguss came to mind, then i thought why not counter every other pivot w/ dragons?

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
+
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Fire

Tank chomp + amoonguss = RIP physical attackers. Amoonguss is a mon i see being very viable in general due to it's ability pivot so nicely into things that can abuse reverse tailwind swamp and flames

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost/Outrage
+
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Fire

Kyurem black, alongside other slow heavy hitters, will get a significant buff in this meta. KyuremB, specifically has ice beam for grass, earth power for fire, and fusion bolt for water types, and can live a bit longer in fire w/ roost

I can see most teams consisting of FWG, a dragon to counter those and Fairy and/or Steel types to counter the dragons. But that's just me and i'm bad at this game so what do i know?

on another note, one of my fav mons:

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Garanteed Special attack boosts NE1?

Is it only primary type, or is primary type for multiple types? Can Kabutops get Water?
It's only primary type in the case of Pokémon which are Fire / Grass (nothing atm), Fire / Water (Volcanion) and Water / Grass (Ludicolo line). If the Pokémon only has one of the Fire, Water or Grass types, it will work off that. So Kabutops can summon a swamp or a rainbow.

It's only primary type in the case of Pokémon which are Fire / Grass (nothing atm), Fire / Water (Volcanion) and Water / Grass (Ludicolo line). If the Pokémon only has one of the Fire, Water or Grass types, it will work off that. So Kabutops can summon a swamp or a rainbow.
Speaking of kabutops, rain is going to be much less viable than it was before. While it does still activate Hydration, 100% Accurate hurricanes and Thunder, and boosts the power of water moves, Swift swim abusers are pointless now that any water type can create the exact same effect with a swamp. I'm sure it could still be used, but it should be much less viable considering its main feature is pointless.

Speaking of kabutops, rain is going to be much less viable than it was before. While it does still activate Hydration, 100% Accurate hurricanes and Thunder, and boosts the power of water moves, Swift swim abusers are pointless now that any water type can create the exact same effect with a swamp. I'm sure it could still be used, but it should be much less viable considering its main feature is pointless.
Same story with Chlorophyll, most Grass types can replicate it by simply setting up a swamp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)