The greatest thing to fear is F.E.A.R. itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started plating Pokemon Showdown a week ago. It didn't take long to get into the metagame, and after a few days i started experimenting; most of these experiments failed, but there was one that stood out to me: F.E.A.R. .

F.E.A.R. is more or less when a pokemon lures an opponent into nearly KO'ing it, then using Endeavor to bring down the opponent to it's hp level, and somehow dispatching it the next turn.
For example, LV1 F.E.A.R. Rattata can be equipped with a focus sash to ensure it's survival, Endeavor to weaken the opponent, and then Quick Attack/Extremespeed to finish the target off.
However, this strategy only allows one death at the most, and is easy to counter. My experiment involved a LV1 Aron...

Aron @ Shell Bell
Trait: Sturdy
Level: 1
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 Atk / -44 SDef / 436 Def
Adamant Nature
- Endeavor
- Endure
- Iron Head
- Facade

Assuming Sandstorm can be set up (usually by a Tyranitar), this set allows for multiple F.E.A.R KO's;
Aron's ability Sturdy allows it to survive an attack, allowing it to use Endeavor to cripple the opponent. At this point, shell bell activates, and completely heals Aron (allowing it to repeat the strategy), while sandstorm finishes off the opponent.

There were, however, multiple problems with this strategy:
  • Multiple Hit Attacks
  • Mold Breaker and it's varients
  • Status Effects
  • Ghost types who are immune to Endeavor
  • Pokemon immune to sandstorm
  • Knock Off, Snatch, Trick, etc.
  • ENTRY HAZARDS
  • Weather changers

Obviously there's room to improve; which i attempted by adding a Ghost Counter, Rapid spinner, and F.E.A.R Solosis as a backup. at the end of this experiment, there were three general responses to this team:
  • "This is retarded, and so are you" (usually when the team would fail)
  • "Interesting... i wonder if this will become widespread"
  • OMFG YOU HAXOR THIS IS SO FUCKING CHEAP! (usually when I flawlessly execute the strategy)

If you have any feedback or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, please post a reply.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, this kind of thing is better suited for one of the metagame forums, rather than the PS! forum. The PS! forum is really for site discussion mostly. Stuff like strategies and whatnot should go in one of the metagame forums instead, though I'm sure they have stuff about F.E.A.R. there already.

Though relating to the topic: Don't rely on F.E.A.R. It's usually pretty bad against any experienced player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)