SM UU The Hippopotamus and the Prehistoric Bird

Hey everyone! I picked up this tier when I started getting tutored by Accelgor(he's the best!). After getting tutored by him and the tutoring was completely finished one of my friends and I (ismail) built a team featuring the core of Hippowdon+Mega Aerodactyl since sand compliments MAero nicely. Before I start off shoutouts to @lordgrim(ismail) and Accelgor for tutoring me, checking over teams and being DA GOAT. Anyways lets get right to this!

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Roost

I chose a Roost+3 Attacks set to build around, maximizing MAero's potential on offense while still having reliable recovery/good health throughout the game. Earthquake is for hitting steels such as Empoleon hard on the switchin. Stone Edge is for STAB as well as hitting types that EQ doesn't. Pursuit if for trapping the likes of Non-Z Thunder Lati and a low health Bronzong. Roost is for keeping healthy after taking attacks it doesn't appreciate too much. Mega Aerodactyl synergizes well with Hippo as Hippo provides sand for Mega Aerodactyl to increase its SPDEF so it can take hits easier.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Hippowdon was next since it synergized very well with Mega Aerodactyl with sand. It also gave our team a rocker and a ground type, to of the most necessary things you need in the UU metagame right now. A standard mixed defensive spread was used to maximize Hippowdon's capability. Earthquake for chipping mons weak to it. Slack Off is for reliable recovery for Hippowdon to increase its longevity and definition as a wall. Toxic is to beat opposing walls such as Mantine(Slack off on Scalds its a soft check).

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roar
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

I needed a mon that could click Scald reliably so a burn on possibly Scizor could happen which would open up a door for Mega Aerodactyl, I needed a Phazer. A defoger. And a steel resist. Empoleon fit those roles perfectly. Able to spam Scald reliably, phaze , and Defog. The EVs also maximize Empoleon's mixed bulk so that it can make the most out of it. Toxic is a last move that can be replaced with Knock off but it can be any of those two depending on what you want. Banded Scizor lacking Superpower who Mega Aero hates would be food for Empoleon. Empoleon being 4x resistant to Steel lets it be an amazing partner to help out MAero very nicely.

Scizor @ Metal Coat
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost

SD Offensive Zor was next. It provided my team another steel resist as well as a setup sweeper. Bug Bite is used over U-Turn so that Zor can continuously stay in to still deal massive damage. Technician boosts both Bug Bite and BP. SD is used to boost its attack + Technician to blow away switchins. Roost is to keep it healthy throughout the match and better its chances of sweeping. Metal Coat is there to boost its Steel attacks since Iron Plate is bad hehe.

1535413288336.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
I was in need of a Special Wallbreaker and Hydreigon fit that role perfectly. I chose its scarf set as it beat Latias if it stayed in and other mons thanks to the Scarf. Fire Blast is to hit all the steels such as Silvally-Steel or Klefki that switch in. Dark Pulse is its main spammable dark type STAB and with a chance to flinch the opposing pokemon. Draco Meteor to nuke things and U-Turn for momentum.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
The final mon I chose was Amoongus. This was to be able to take electric and water type attacks directed at Mega Aerodactyl. It made a nice defensive core with Empoleon and Hippowdon as they covered eachothers weaknesses as well as Mega Aerodacytl's ones. This spread is to maximize its defensive stats and Regenerator. Giga Drain for reliable recovery as well as STAB. Spore to force switches or let Mega Aerodactyl come in. Sludge Bomb for a chance to poison and STAB. Finally HP Fire to hit the likes of Scizor super effectivley.

THREATS

Dragon Dance Kommo-o as well as Z-Thunder Latias threaten this team significantly. Any dragon really threatens this team as it lacks a fairy.

Replay vs pasy_g

Yep this happened:https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-391951

Thank you too everyone who helped make this work and helped me in the past. Shoutouts to lordgrim for building with me Accelgor for being the best tutor,and vivalospride who agreed to rate this for his badge. Anyways, see Y'all soon!

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hola, good to see this RMT up. This is a pretty standard and well built balance team, one that I could definitely see some of Accelgor's style in. I'd see you have a pretty good dragon matchup in general even w/o fairies with Scizor + Empo... however Hydreigon would be quite an issue to play against due to the Dark Pulse switch ins being pretty much non existent, especially if it's from a Specs or LO variant. Not too much to fix but I do have a lil something that I think would make the team better.

- Cobalion > Scizor will be the only big change here. Cobalion offers a wincon to replace Scizor and a z move user. However it's main purpose for being here is to provide something that abuses mons that click dark type moves. Empoleon + Coba do a pretty good job of checking shit like Hydreigon between the two of them due to Justified being so scary.
Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish

- Fire Fang > Roost on Maero is just a small little change, if Scizor gets to +2 things could get a little scary. Although Aqua Tail is another option to hit Hippo harder, which could be nice for Coba.
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang / Aqua Tail

/
- Just another small little change simply putting Clear Smog > Sludge Bomb because you're weak to DD Kommo and this is setup bait for Kommo w/ Bulletproof as it is. This should help with setup sweepers in general, Whirlwind on Hippo would also be another option but that'd leave you vulnerable to Maero.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

OR

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang / Aqua Tail

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic / Whirlwind

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

That's it, solid and standard team. I like it, good shit. Accelgor is awesome and be sure to be grateful for having him as your tutor!! Lmk how it all goes.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cool team. I think it covers the majority of the metagame pretty well, I do have a few suggestions that may help it overcome its threats, though.
  • On Empoleon, Shuca Berry > Leftovers allow it to lure in Mega Aerodactyl and Nidoking and severely weaken them. Both are currently huge threats to your team, so I think that the loss of passive recovery worths it.
  • I noticed that revenge-killing is an issue with your team. Your main revenge-killer is Mega Aerodactyl, which is generally fine, but your team really wishes it had another Pokemon that could punish certain set-up sweepers. Hence, I believe that Life Orb > Metal Coat on Scizor worths it because it allows you to check threats such as Latias and Hydreigon much better. It also improves the matchup against slower teams, which is really appreciated.
  • As mentioned in vivalospride's rate, Kommo-o is a threat, hence Clear Smog > Sludge Bomb on Amoonguss allow your team to handle it more reliably by revenge killing it with Hydreigon more easily.
  • I would personally prefer to have Roost on Mega Aerodactyl, but if you're still worried about Calm Mind Latias, Crunch > Roost is an option. Again, I would still prefer to have Roost because the team does not have a cleric and the team relies on Mega Aerodactyl to check a lot of Pokemon.

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I hope that the rate helped, feel free to contact me if there's any question.

Cool team. I think it covers the majority of the metagame pretty well, I do have a few suggestions that may help it overcome its threats, though.
  • On Empoleon, Shuca Berry > Leftovers allow it to lure in Mega Aerodactyl and Nidoking and severely weaken them. Both are currently huge threats to your team, so I think that the loss of passive recovery worths it.
  • I noticed that revenge-killing is an issue with your team. Your main revenge-killer is Mega Aerodactyl, which is generally fine, but your team really wishes it had another Pokemon that could punish certain set-up sweepers. Hence, I believe that Life Orb > Metal Coat on Scizor worths it because it allows you to check threats such as Latias and Hydreigon much better. It also improves the matchup against slower teams, which is really appreciated.
  • As mentioned in vivalospride's rate, Kommo-o is a threat, hence Clear Smog > Sludge Bomb on Amoonguss allow your team to handle it more reliably by revenge killing it with Hydreigon more easily.
  • I would personally prefer to have Roost on Mega Aerodactyl, but if you're still worried about Calm Mind Latias, Crunch > Roost is an option. Again, I would still prefer to have Roost because the team does not have a cleric and the team relies on Mega Aerodactyl to check a lot of Pokemon.

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I hope that the rate helped, feel free to contact me if there's any question.
Hola, good to see this RMT up. This is a pretty standard and well built balance team, one that I could definitely see some of Accelgor's style in. I'd see you have a pretty good dragon matchup in general even w/o fairies with Scizor + Empo... however Hydreigon would be quite an issue to play against due to the Dark Pulse switch ins being pretty much non existent, especially if it's from a Specs or LO variant. Not too much to fix but I do have a lil something that I think would make the team better.

- Cobalion > Scizor will be the only big change here. Cobalion offers a wincon to replace Scizor and a z move user. However it's main purpose for being here is to provide something that abuses mons that click dark type moves. Empoleon + Coba do a pretty good job of checking shit like Hydreigon between the two of them due to Justified being so scary.
Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish

- Fire Fang > Roost on Maero is just a small little change, if Scizor gets to +2 things could get a little scary. Although Aqua Tail is another option to hit Hippo harder, which could be nice for Coba.
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang / Aqua Tail

/
- Just another small little change simply putting Clear Smog > Sludge Bomb because you're weak to DD Kommo and this is setup bait for Kommo w/ Bulletproof as it is. This should help with setup sweepers in general, Whirlwind on Hippo would also be another option but that'd leave you vulnerable to Maero.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

OR

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang / Aqua Tail

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic / Whirlwind

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

That's it, solid and standard team. I like it, good shit. Accelgor is awesome and be sure to be grateful for having him as your tutor!! Lmk how it all goes.
Thanks for both of the rates guys! Appreciate it! These changes seem great! I'll try out both for sure! Ty for the rate and have a good rest of the day n_n.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)