SS OU The Jirachi Special (peaked top 300)

Hi all, this is my second RMT since my other RMT thread didn't get much interest - maybe because the team was too left field, even if it did break into top 500.

This team is currently in top 500, having peaked within top 300. I think has potential to go further, either as is or with some tweaks. I've only been running this team for about two weeks.

Let's get into it then.

Team Building Process

:jirachi:
This is the biggest surprise on this team. Anyone that’s seen my previous RMT would know that I love being unconventional. The idea of a special Jirachi set has been floating around in my mind for some time. Its access to Meteor Beam post-DLC sealed the deal for me.

I originally wanted to run Doom Desire because I found it to be an interesting alternative to future sight. However, in the current meta game with the prevalence of dark and fire power hitters, running a defensive Jirachi is not viable. I tried Doom Desire on a special sweeper setup, and although I had a few surprise KO assists, overall it just didn’t work that well. Things improved once I let go of Doom Desire for a coverage move.

:jirachi: :urshifu:
I didn’t really build a team around Jirachi – instead I wanted to find win cons that can take advantage of the surprise holes that Jirachi can punch in a team. Urshifu was an obvious choice. However, the ever popular banded Urshifu is designed to punch holes itself, whereas I wanted something more flexible once its threats are removed. Hence the Bulk Up set.

:jirachi: :urshifu: :magearna:
Next up is Magearna. Again, I wanted the setup wincon. Magearna was the one. Once it gets going, it just keeps snowballing and becomes unstoppable. In that sense, Volcarona is a potential alternative to Magearna in this slot, but it’s more frail and I have found Magearna’s decent bulk to be useful.

:jirachi: :urshifu: :magearna: :tyranitar:
With my offensive core set, I needed some defensive mons. However, I’m generally not a fan of passive walls. I find bulky tanks to be much more interesting to play with. I’ve been a fan of Tyranitar for some time due to its versatility. It can actually become quite the special wall with sand up, so I thought I’d slap an Assault Vest on it to boost its special defense even further. It is actually my single most effective Magearna counter, despite its weakness to fairy moves.

:jirachi: :urshifu: :magearna: :tyranitar: :toxapex:
Although I prefer walls with offensive utility, there's no denying how useful toxapex is. I needed a solid urshifu check, which every team needs these days. Toxapex also serves as knock off nuisance, haze setter and burn inducer. It’s just too much utility to pass up for this team.

:jirachi: :urshifu: :magearna: :tyranitar: :toxapex: :corviknight:
I was going for the classic defensive core of toxapex + corviknight given their mutual synergy and corviknight’s access to defog. However I still found corviknight to be too passive. Offensive variants usually involve bulk up or iron defense, which severely limits type coverage and general utility. Corviknight also gave me a third weakness to fire.

:jirachi: :urshifu: :magearna: :tyranitar: :toxapex: :mandibuzz:
I then tried Mandibuzz, mainly for its access to foul play, which helps somewhat with its passivity. However, I still find myself losing too much momentum when it is switched in. This team thrives on crippling or causing enough damage to the opponent to allow urshifu or magearna to clean up, and Mandibuzz just didn't quite fit in.

:jirachi: :urshifu: :magearna: :tyranitar: :toxapex: :togekiss:
After some careful consideration I settled for a bulky offensive togekiss with Twave as my defogger. It’s actually one of my fav mons to use and incredibly versatile, and Twave is a further nuisance to the opponent. With flamethrower, it can also lure in and 2HKO magnezone, which is a problem for corviknight and mandibuzz and the team in general otherwise.

Team

:ss/jirachi:
Jirachi @ Power Herb
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aura Sphere
- Psychic
- Meteor Beam
- Moonblast

This set has been incredible to use. With Power Herb, Meteor beam boosts Jirachi's SpA by one stage immediately before landing a hit with a 120bp move. I often lead with Jirachi, and it loves surprise KOing mons like Torkoal, Pelipper, Volcarona, Rotom-H and Marowak-A. It also catches usual switch ins like Cinderace and Mandibuzz (the latter is finished off with Moonblast).

It can also handle steel switch ins like Magnezone or Excadrill, as Meteor Beam does enough damage to allow a +1 Aura Sphere to then take them out. It can also take on Ferrothorn, as a Meteor Beam allows Aura Sphere to then 2HKO. Leech Seed + Protect variants can be annoying, but as Ferrothorn lacks reliable recovery, taking out a chunk of its HP and then switching is perfectly fine, since it allows Urshifu or even Magearna to clean up.

Let's not forget Jirachi's speed tier. It outspeeds non scarfed variants of Urshifu and Hydreigon, both of which are becoming increasingly rare in the tier these days. This makes me comfortable enough to just press Moonblast and 90% of the time it's bye bye to a key sweeper.

Psychic is there as reliable STAB, which also takes care of poison types like Toxapex, Toxtricity and Amoonguss, but obviously beware of Spore with Amoonguss if not boosted by Meteor Beam.

This Jirachi is basically the definition of anti-meta, and it’s so effective. It's probably my best creation so far.

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pelipper: 436-514 (134.5 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torkoal: 438-516 (127.3 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Meteor Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 412-486 (136.8 - 161.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 308-364 (101.3 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Mandibuzz: 264-312 (62.2 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Meteor Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 392-462 (150.1 - 177%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 310-366 (85.8 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 238-282 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Jirachi Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 328-386 (103.4 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Jirachi Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 520-616 (152.4 - 180.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Jirachi Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 376-444 (115.6 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Jirachi Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 392-464 (144.6 - 171.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:ss/urshifu:
Urshifu @ Life Orb
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Wicked Blow
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

This mon is clean up crew #1. I save it for late game, or when its key counters are removed. The idea is to bring it in against a mon that the banded version would force out, and hit Bulk Up. With LO at +1, it hits harder than a banded adamant Urshifu. That said, drain punch is a noticeably weaker move than Close Combat, but it’s very useful for longevity and I find it beneficial overall, especially when going up against Rocky Helmet users.

Sucker punch is for priority, and it’s enough to OHKO many faster offensive threats at +1. I chose it over more coverage because it fits the purposes of Urshifu's utility on this team better. Like I said, this Urshifu is part of the clean up crew, and not a hole puncher.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 285-335 (94.6 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zeraora: 316-372 (99.6 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

:ss/magearna:
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 156 HP / 248 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shift Gear
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power

This mon is clean up crew #2, best used when steel type threats are removed. I don’t mention fire because, with the right play, you can take them on with 2 boosts. Rotom-H is generally not an issue unless it’s a trick variant. Steel, however, resists both of the only moves that Magearna has to do damage.

The given EVs are for maximum SpA and bulk while still outspeeding Conkeldurr, although it's getting more and more rare to see it in OU these days. Regardless, some speed investment is preferred to allow it to outspeed all but the fastest mons in the tier after one shift gear.

Shift gear is the first move of choice, since it allows Magearna to outspeed the majority of any switch ins. Calm Mind for that extra boost that makes Stored Power deadly and recovers extra HP from Draining Kiss.

This thing generally becomes an absolutely unstoppable monster if shift gear + calm mind is up and it manages to KO something. You can’t stop the Magearna train once it leaves the station.

+1 248+ SpA Magearna Stored Power (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 271-319 (90 - 105.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Too many others to count depending number of boosts

:ss/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Special wall and physical powerhouse at the same time. I gave it enough speed EVs to outspeed most common versions of Magearna, including my own. This is important since Tyranitar is my primary Magearna counter, tanking draining kiss and even fleur cannon while 2HKOing with EQ.

The combination of sand and assault vest makes its SpD simply ridiculous. I could potentially run a more defensive nature / EVs, but I like the punch this spread packs. Stone edge threatens even defensive variants of Clefable with its crit chance. Fire punch is mostly for Ferrothorn. Superpower would be an otherwise obvious alternative, but I prefer the favorable match up against Ferrothorn, which is a key mon to take out or severely dent for the team's clean up crew.

252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 237-279 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Tyranitar Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 220-260 (62.5 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers

252 SpA Choice Specs Toxtricity Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 63-75 (18.4 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 97-115 (28.4 - 33.7%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 182-216 (53.3 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 216-256 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:ss/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze

Nothing fancy here, just the standard and very useful Pex. Haze is key to blocking many set up threats that would otherwise punch through the team. Knock Off is for general nuisance, and Scald is basically mandatory. I haven’t found much need for toxic or toxic spikes for this team, as stalling is generally to be avoided. The only stalling I engage in is repeated Haze + chip damage against setup sweepers, which eventually forces a switch.

I cannot emphasise how important it is to take advantage of Pex's regenerator. Unless you’re ready for the clean up crew to sweep through the opponent, Pex is a team member you generally want to preserve for its all round defensive utility. Otherwise, I think everyone is familiar with how the Pex works so I need not say more.

:ss/togekiss:
Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Thunder Wave

Another surprisingly useful variation of Togekiss. I have foregone speed for overall bulk and offensive utility given that it is running Twave and can still quite capably spam Air Slash in that way. Togekiss serves as a second special sponge of sorts and the near mandatory fairy of the team given the prevalence of Urshifu. It is also the defogger and EQ immunity, of course.

This variant does require some prediction to use effectively. Flamethrower is not there to be used reactively! The goal is generally to force a switch with Togekiss and use Twave or Flamethrower on the switch in depending on your predict. Although, in a pinch, Togekiss can take one Iron Head from Excadrill and hit back with Flamethrower to take out most of its HP, but it does not OHKO.

Threats

:ss/zeraora:
This mon is a major threat, although usually manageable. I usually end up sacrificing Jirachi to hit it with a Meteor Beam or Psychic, which then puts it within OHKO range for an unboosted Sucker Punch from Urshifu. If Urshifu is gone then it’s most likely gg, unless I manage to burn it with Toxapex.

:ss/cinderace:
Another big threat to the team, but again manageable. Non Zen Headbutt variants are walled by Toxapex, and Zen Headbutt variants not carrying High Jump Kick can be handled by Tyranitar or Urshifu. With Urshifu, Sucker Punch can OHKO if it just tried to use Zen Headbutt (making its typing Psychic), or I often Bulk Up on a predicted switch or sucker punch. Some smart playing with Sucker Punch or Bulk Up variants of Cinderace could give me trouble though, with the dark type resist that it gains when it uses either of those moves.

:ss/excadrill:
Offensive variants can be a problem. Sand Rush SD variants are especially dangerous. Without it, Urshifu can absorb an EQ or Iron Head and take it on, although it can be a bit annoying if it is running Focus Sash. Otherwise, the best way to handle it is to catch it on a predict using Jirachi or Togekiss. As always with Urshifu running Sucker Punch, landing just one decent hit on it will put it within Urshifu’s KO zone.

:ss/azumarill:
To be fair, this thing is a threat to most teams. I'm talking about the Belly Drum version of course. Fortunately, none of the team is really free setup fodder for it. However, if Azumarill does switch in, I can’t really switch out, because if it is allowed to have a free Belly Drum turn then it’s a good chance of gg. Jirachi and Urshifu might tank one Aqua Jet and fire off a hit, but they’re up against 56% chance OHKO.

Other issues

One glaring hole in this team is the lack of an entry hazard setter. I haven’t missed it too much, but it could make a difference for Togekiss's flamethrower or Jirachi's Aura Sphere against key steel threats.

Another thing missing is resistance to electric. These two things makes Seismitoad a potential option. However I'm struggling to see who it can replace, as I'm seeing more disadvantages to advantages with each team member.

Yo dude, Welk on rmt.

The premise of Rachi + Urshi combined with a way of spreading status, such as possible Toxapex is very potent in this metagame and I find this team to be a pretty cool spin off of that. I do think a couple things could be improved, though.
Before getting into any changes,I have to tell you that I completely agree on the analysis of your threats, therefore I would like to aim to make you understand with my motivations that the team could be much better.

In addition to the possible threats you mentioned:

Threats

:ss/zeraora:
This mon is a major threat, although usually manageable. I usually end up sacrificing Jirachi to hit it with a Meteor Beam or Psychic, which then puts it within OHKO range for an unboosted Sucker Punch from Urshifu. If Urshifu is gone then it’s most likely gg, unless I manage to burn it with Toxapex.

:ss/cinderace:
Another big threat to the team, but again manageable. Non Zen Headbutt variants are walled by Toxapex, and Zen Headbutt variants not carrying High Jump Kick can be handled by Tyranitar or Urshifu. With Urshifu, Sucker Punch can OHKO if it just tried to use Zen Headbutt (making its typing Psychic), or I often Bulk Up on a predicted switch or sucker punch. Some smart playing with Sucker Punch or Bulk Up variants of Cinderace could give me trouble though, with the dark type resist that it gains when it uses either of those moves.

:ss/excadrill:
Offensive variants can be a problem. Sand Rush SD variants are especially dangerous. Without it, Urshifu can absorb an EQ or Iron Head and take it on, although it can be a bit annoying if it is running Focus Sash. Otherwise, the best way to handle it is to catch it on a predict using Jirachi or Togekiss. As always with Urshifu running Sucker Punch, landing just one decent hit on it will put it within Urshifu’s KO zone.

:ss/azumarill:
To be fair, this thing is a threat to most teams. I'm talking about the Belly Drum version of course. Fortunately, none of the team is really free setup fodder for it. However, if Azumarill does switch in, I can’t really switch out, because if it is allowed to have a free Belly Drum turn then it’s a good chance of gg. Jirachi and Urshifu might tank one Aqua Jet and fire off a hit, but they’re up against 56% chance OHKO.
I would add
, since relying on Tyranitar isn't a reliable choice because it doesn't have recovery moves.

The changes I'd like to suggest:

• Major Changes
:heavy duty boots: >
:assault vest:

You can argue that Ferrothorn checks Excadrill fine enough, and while that is true, there's nothing that will ever prevent Excadrill from using Earthquake, having your Ferrothorn then take about 35% damage, and them then switching into Jirachi to prevent any Leech Seed recovery. The idea to punish Defog with Tyranitar is certainly potent, but you can capitalize off that much better with more offensively oriented teams. One issue that did come to my attention was the lack of a Flying-type, which can be very bothersome against Mold Breaker Excadrill.
This becomes an especially prominent issue when you realize that Excadrill has plenty opportunities to switch into play against Jirachi, too. Ultimately, what I'm trying to get at is that you need to be able to force the Excadrill out of clicking Earthquake, having Mandibuzz is a great way of accomplishing that.
Is great against Pokemon like Dragapult because still provides you with a Ghost-resistant Pokemon, Mandibuzz also offers you some very useful role compression with Defog, and thanks Brave Bird is fantastic to make pressure on Urshifu and Volcarona that you otherwise have to think about on most teams isn't a terribly big deal.
Foul Play it improves the matchups against Excadrill and Aegislash and for this reason is is Mandibuzz's preferred STAB attack.
96 Speed EVs allow Mandibuzz to outspeed neutral-natured Aegislash and Azumarill.

:rocky helmet: >
:heavy duty boots:
Hippowdown is the best answer to have immense physical bulk and access to Slack Off let it consistently switch into threatening wallbreakers such as Excadrill, Choice Band Aegislash (that lost usage, but is terrible for your Rachi), Cinderace, Bisharp and Zeraora.
Slack Off so it can continue to check the opposition to Jolly Urshifu and Cinderace. I prefer use Toxic to have more chance of enjoying the status against Mandibuzz or Tangrowth match up.
8 Attack EVs ensure Hippowdon OHKOes bulkless Excadrill with Earthquake and Rocky Helmet is the preferred item so Hippowdon can punish Rapid Spin attempts from Excadrill, U-Turn Cinderace, Zeraora and Hawlucha.

• Minor Changes

:choice specs: > :Leftovers:
Is the most versatile and potent, Pokemon in the current metagame, is pretty much inarguably the best Pokemon in the format right now, and with good reason. It's extremely easy to plug onto teams thanks to its incredible defensive utility, its absurdly strong, and all its answers are very, very easy to wear down over the course of a match (or otherwise despise Trick).
Choice Specs is fantastic for boosted Fleur Cannon and do as much damage as possible to Hippowdown, Mandibuzz, Slowbro and deal serious damage to a very large pool of cores.
Trick is the best move to lock Blissey, Chansey or Ferrothorn, also Flash cannon is to hit Clefable and Amoongus.
In the end Volt Switch it's perfect to guarantee momentum,ombined provide coverage, while also allowing Mage to pivot on predicted switches or walled Pokémon and make the most of the core with Urshifu.

:choice band: > :life orb:
The reasons are simple, i think that u need more chance to 2HKOs Hippo and Mandi thanks the Adamant nature, also Close Combat > Drain Punch it is the recommended choice to take advantage of its powerful offensive power.
Poison Jab is the best move to hit Clefable finding the status if is Unaware.

It isn't widely used, but thanks to this set that I propose:
:choice scarf: > :Power Herb:
It allows you to have better speed controll, Trick is perfect against stall teams in the presence of Quagshire or Gastrodon, plus you can also lock Corvi or Skarm.
U-Turn is to have more and more momentum and to guarantee you the role of Pivot, the STAB Iron Head is for cleaning in the end game and Healing Wish is to give support in the presence of Urshifu and Magearna.

needs the :rocky helmet: to deal indirect damage to typical wallbreakers like Urshifu and Cinderace.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1154451393-5jzad396cu2uobft5rbxi970enb6ygjpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1154449132-9coxjxc1rjbaycoq5e6w9zufoztojsgpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1154459249-f157jxqpfitfq4zgjinxs8a94y6867wpw

======
>>>>> The Team <<<<<
======​

Considerations:
I believe that Rachi atm doesn't find much space in OU, given the spam of Urshifu and Cinderace, besides Dragapult is another big threat.
I also believe that there are many walls that can be annoyer atm such as Mandi, Toxapex and Hippo.

I hope I have been helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

I've actually almost never had an issue with Volcarona. It loves to come in on my Jirachi, which speed ties Timid variants and outspeeds Modest variants. Speed tie or no, Volcarona almost always Quiver Dances on Jirachi, or even if it uses Fiery Dance unboosted, Jirachi can tank one hit and take it out with Meteor Beam. If Meteor Beam misses and Jirachi dies, I have Tyranitar that can take a boosted Bug Buzz, or Togekiss that can take any +1 move and Twave.

I think you might have confused Tyranitar with Ferrothorn in your analysis as well. It's certainly not an answer to Excadrill, but I have identified a few ways to deal with it. Like many of the other threats, once it is hit by something with significant enough damage, Urshifu can clean up. This is made easier by the fact that Urshifu usually outspeeds Excadrill and can easily take an EQ or Iron Head, which means it usually forces Excadrill out, giving me a free Bulk Up. Or if it doesn't switch out, I can drain punch to recover lost HP. Keep in mind that bulk up + Life Orb hits harder than Choice Band. I might try running Close Combat, but given Urshifu's role on this team, I think Drain Punch is overall more useful.

In any case, I do have Togekiss as flying switch in to EQ, though I understand it's prediction reliant given its weakness to Iron Head. Note my Togekiss can tank one Iron Head and hit back with Flamethrower for similar damage in a pinch.

While I understand the utility of Banded Urshifu + Specs Magearna, I do think that changes the whole philosophy of the team. They become hole punchers instead of clean up crew.

The idea of the team is to surprise kill a few key mons and damage the rest enough for Urshifu or Magearna to set up and sweep through them. Jirachi is especially good at this due to the surprise factor. Moonblast kills Urshifu, Hydreigon, Dragapult (which has nothing that can OHKO Jirachi) and Kommo-O, Meteor Beam kills Volcarona, Rotom-H, Cinderace on switch in etc etc I could go on. In fact every mon you named as a reason that Jirachi is not viable in OU, I have killed with this Jirachi, and all on a regular basis barring Cinderace. I didn't save many replays but here is an example of Jirachi doing its thing:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1152066052

The number of times my special Jirachi has taken out Urshifu, Volcarona and Marowak-O is too many to count. This alone makes it viable IMO.

I have no doubt that your suggested team works well too, and I agree that with the version you suggested, Jirachi does not really have a place, especially the standard scarf physical attacker. However I think what you have come up with is nearly a completely different team.

I might explore replacing Tyranitar with Hippowdon to help with Cinderace and Zeraora though.

TY for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)