All Gens The leading game

How this works is as follows: you give the match-up for the first turn of a battle and we discuss what we would do and why: switch out or use attack [x]. The point is to (hopefully) generate a little bit of discussion and move on to the next scenario. For now, we give 2 match-ups and the first person to reply may do the next 2 match-ups, but a minimum of 24 hours must have passed before new match-ups may be posted. Your pokemon is always the first one listed.

Q: But HUARGH, I don't know the rest of my team, this greatly affects my decision on whether I would swap out or not!
A: This is true, so assume a 'standard' scenario.

I'll start:

Match-up 1
Gen 3 OU
Salamence (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

vs.

Regirock (Genderless)

Match-up 2
Gen 3 UU
Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cute Charm
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spd
- Belly Drum
- Softboiled
- Return
- Meteor Mash

vs.

Golduck (M)

How this works is as follows: you give the match-up for the first turn of a battle and we discuss what we would do and why: switch out or use attack [x]. The point is to (hopefully) generate a little bit of discussion and move on to the next scenario. For now, we give 2 match-ups and the first person to reply may do the next 2 match-ups, but a minimum of 24 hours must have passed before new match-ups may be posted. Your pokemon is always the first one listed.

Q: But HUARGH, I don't know the rest of my team, this greatly affects my decision on whether I would swap out or not!
A: This is true, so assume a 'standard' scenario.

I'll start:

Match-up 1
Gen 3 OU
Salamence (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

vs.

Regirock (Genderless)

Match-up 2
Gen 3 UU
Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cute Charm
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spd
- Belly Drum
- Softboiled
- Return
- Meteor Mash

vs.

Golduck (M)
Match Up 1)
I swap out so slowbro to tank the incoming attack, because salamence cant do much to regirock.

Match Up 2)
I swap to my sleep absorber (ursaring if its allowed) or my phazer (blastoise) in case he decides to calm mind instead of hypnosis.

Do I post 2 matchups now?

For the OU match, I would probably EQ the first turn. I'm not scared of a Rock Slide from an Intimidated Regirock (maybe I should be, but whatever). The second turn, I'm going to switch out, because of flying types. Probably gonna switch to something that's gonna hit hard.

For the UU match, I would first wonder why I'm leading with a Belly Drummer. I'd probably use Return, in case Hypnosis misses or Golduck decides to scout with sub.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
In OU, I'd switch, as Regriock can hurt me harder than I can hurt it, and if we traded blows on turn 1 with EQ and HP Rock, then he can switch to something not grounded and he gets the better end of it. Plus, an immediate kabloom could be problematic.

In UU, I'd Return first as a good player won't Hypnosis first turn in case of a sleep absorber switch in. Also it protects against the possibility of sub.

I'm not an ADV Player, but don't forget that Regirock has Clear Body. Regirock still won't OHKO unless it is a CB variant or Explodes, but Intimidate won't work against Regirock so that needs to be considered.

Match Up 1)
I swap out so slowbro to tank the incoming attack, because salamence cant do much to regirock.

Match Up 2)
I swap to my sleep absorber (ursaring if its allowed) or my phazer (blastoise) in case he decides to calm mind instead of hypnosis.

Do I post 2 matchups now?
Yes, but wait 24 hours.

For the OU match, I would probably EQ the first turn. I'm not scared of a Rock Slide from an Intimidated Regirock (maybe I should be, but whatever). The second turn, I'm going to switch out, because of flying types. Probably gonna switch to something that's gonna hit hard.

For the UU match, I would first wonder why I'm leading with a Belly Drummer. I'd probably use Return, in case Hypnosis misses or Golduck decides to scout with sub.
As pointed out by the poster above me, Regirock has Clear Body.

ah, I forgot about that. In that case, I'd probably switch out. Rock Slide shouldn't KO, but it would do more damage to Salamence than Salamence would do back to Regirock. I'd probably toss my water type in, especially if it were Swampert.

Seeing as there has already been some discussion I'll give my thoughts as well.

I'd swap out Salamence, in the case of a 252 hp/252 attk adamant spread on Regirock, it can do up to 97% damage with rock slide. CB OHKOs it, even with HP rock (which I guess most would be running as Regirock isn't that fast). Even in the case of zero attack EVs I don't think it would be worth it, has Regirock probably has leftovers + sandstorm immunity (in the event of Tyranitar) and I'm stuck with Choice Band.

As for Clefable; I'd return to scout and possibly get some damage in.

Yes, clearly the best option for the first match-up is switch out to Swampert. There's a high risk of being paralyzed by TWave and Regirock may use Counter too.

Yes, clearly the best option for the first match-up is switch out to Swampert. There's a high risk of being paralyzed by TWave and Regirock may use Counter too.
I don't think any good Regi would ever be carrying TWave, what is it going to be paralysing, Milotic? Skarmory?

I'd say the more real risks are presented by an immediate kerbang, Curse or HP Rock. Counter is a possibility too. Either way Skarmory completely deals with any Regirock ever and will always be my switch of choice, HP Rock isn't doing jack, Explosion doesn't even get close to an OHKO (and still doesn't even with a Curse), and nothing else it can do bothers it in any way. In return Skarm can Phaze away Curses, Spike and potentially Toxic it. If you have it, Protect also deals with predicted booms, but you don't really need it. Compared to Waters its a superior early game Regi check in every way, allowing you early game spikes for almost no risk at all (if they have a Magneton your Skarm likely wasn't going to do much anyway).

If they bang on the first turn and you swapped to anything that is not dusclops/gengar they can immediately bring in Magneton or Skarmory. Not much you can do against that I guess, but it is a nice idea to keep in mind I guess if you're ever planning on making an offensive team and the likes of Skarmory/Forretress are ruining your day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)