The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What bothers me about Amon is I feel like every time he/the chi blockers fight a bender, the bender in question gets a huge drop in ability. Most notably, when Tahno fights Amon, he suddenly is in complete compliance with pro bending rules. He doesn't use that awesome ice trip he did to Korra earlier, nor does he use any larger, area-of-effect type waterbending, or even strikes larger than the standard pro bending water blasts. idk, it just felt like Amon's victory was kind of contrived, and I am continually sick of the fact that, despite benders theoretically being at least proficient in martial arts and able to evade very fast attacks, they cannot evade chi blockers, while the chi blockers can dodge any attack.

(Current) Korra would get wrecked by Azula. Even if she mastered all of the elements, she'd have trouble taking her on. She's like the Amon of benders, she's goddamn implacable. In all of her skirmishes with team avatar, she never lost once. Some of those matches were like 4 or 5 against 1 too! Even when you consider how much of a pacifistic Aang, who couldn't land any consistent blows on her, and when he was about to enter avatar state she struck him down and almost killed him. Oh and she managed to ward off Aang, Sokka AND Toph (who's broken btw) on the day of the black sun (which means no bending). CRAZY.

The creators had to give her a huge handicap (going insane) and she STILL was too strong for Zuko. Even the fire lord was afraid of her... Korra could feasibly win if she could lightning bend redirect and became a master at water bending / fire bending (since I think master water benders can bend water from the air >_>).
to be fair, on the Day of Black Sun, she had two Dai Li agents two ward off attacks for a little while. and in her and Zuko's final battle, Zuko had the upper hand--it was only the fact that she shot lightning at Katara, and Zuko was forced into an awkward position that he was taken down. but the insanity definitely played a role there.

the way I view it, Azula not only had overwhelming power, but she was very agile and clever. Korra (currently) doesn't seem as agile or as tactical as Azula. but that will change as the new series goes on (hopefully).

did you guys see the trailer for the next episode on nick.com? It seems pretty interesting, to say the least...

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Just if we needed to remind ourselves the animation in this thing is amazing.

I couldn't find the nick preview but I'll assume this is it

Season 1, Episode 7

Title: “The Aftermath”

Air Date: Saturday May 19th at 11am

Description from Zap2It: “Korra begins to suspect that an ally is working for the Equalists.”

Description from TvGuide: “Korra worries that a friend is secretly aligned with the Equalists.”

Ok so this just screams ASAMI ASAMI ASAMI, but the law of tv summaries always states that there will always be a twist to whatever is said. If Asami is evil it will undo that whole thing where Korra learned to treat her like a human being.

The creators had to give her a huge handicap (going insane) and she STILL was too strong for Zuko.
Tbf Zuko was winning until he was enough of a fucktard to goad her into using lightning. (And shattered the atmosphere of a tense and emotional fight with probably the single worst line in the series)

Edit @ Vader: I think you could chalk up sudden incompetency against Amon to him being really fucking intimidating. If you're unnerved you're not going to fight at your best. As for the implausible doding I'd argue that non-benders have to focus solely on their physical abilities and are as such more proficient in close-quarters combat than the average bender. I agree it's a bit contrived at times though.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can someone elaborate on what exactly the chakra thing is? It was mentioned a few times in the thread but I couldn't find a full post that explained exactly what was meant by that!

Anyone notice the description for this week's episode?

from TVGuide: "Korra worries that a friend is secretly aligned with the equalists."

if Asami turns out to be one, then she'll at least finally get character development!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here it is again: Basically from episode 4 (where korra challenges amon) each episode was focused on a chakras so by episode 10 or so Korra can unlock the avatar state (maybe). It makes sense since Korra is not as spiritual as Aang and needs more time to unlock all of them and become more spiritual.

Episode 4: Korra Challenges Amon : Survival blocked by Fear
Episode 5: Love triangles : Pleasure blocked by Guilt
Episode 6: The FF try hard to win the championships, get owned : Willpower blocked by shame
Episode 7 : Deals with love blocked by grief
Episode 8: Deals with Truth blocked by the lies we tell ourselves
Episode 9: Deals with Insight blocked by Illusion
Episode 10: Deals with Pure Cosmic Energy blocked by Earthly attachment

I messed up the order of the chakras earlier when I learned of this episode summary but they could easily leave the 'reveal' that Asami is an equalist (yeah right) until the next episode via cliffhanger. Also what is this I hear about Asami not having character developement, she hasn't had much but we do know a bit about her mother right?

Perhaps Korra will learn how to energybend, and then be able to give people back their bending? Just a thought...

Also, I actually feel bad for Tahno now.... lol

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
She's not the "recently mastered" Korra; in the veeery first episode, she firebends, earthbends, and waterbends.

In any case, it's pretty likely that she would lose - every bender in ATLA seems (for lack of a better term) OP compared to those of Republic City.
Well, you have to realize that most of the LoK characters specialize in the balanced pro-bending, where abilities are not fully capitalized on. Every single bender in the Last Air bender's skill set was optimized for war.

Also worth looking at, teachers. Bolin and Mako did not learn fire bending and earth bending from badgermoles, dragons, royal instructors, or anyone like Iroh. Since Korra learned healing from Katara I'm going to make the assumption that Katara also taught her water bending, but we don't really have any clues as to who taught her fire bending and earth bending.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Does anyone else feel like Amon might be getting a little help from the cabbage salesman from the original series/his descendant? I know it might sound funny at first but it actually kinda makes sense.

When Korra/Bolin/Mako were practicing in the gym, it said that the broadcast was sponsored by "Cabbage Corp., Republic City's trusted name in technology for 50 years." I think the cabbage salesman would definitely have a reason to resent benders... Amon made a big deal of how much technology is aiding the Equalist movement, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Does anyone else feel like Amon might be getting a little help from the cabbage salesman from the original series/his descendant? I know it might sound funny at first but it actually kinda makes sense.

When Korra/Bolin/Mako were practicing in the gym, it said that the broadcast was sponsored by "Cabbage Technologies." I think the cabbage salesman would definitely have a reason to resent benders... Amon made a big deal of how much technology is aiding the Equalist movement, so I wouldn't rule it out.
I have a theory that Sato/Asami are in cahoots with Amon and Sato's been the one bribing the referees and proving Amon and his Equalists with their electric chi-blocking weapons - it could just as easily be Cabbage Industries, though.

breh

強いだね
I don't think they'd do that; it seems too comical, for one. It wouldn't seem right to turn comedic relief into a villain. I guessed that the mention of cabbage was just a small nod to ATLA.

Well, you have to realize that most of the LoK characters specialize in the balanced pro-bending, where abilities are not fully capitalized on. Every single bender in the Last Air bender's skill set was optimized for war.

Also worth looking at, teachers. Bolin and Mako did not learn fire bending and earth bending from badgermoles, dragons, royal instructors, or anyone like Iroh. Since Korra learned healing from Katara I'm going to make the assumption that Katara also taught her water bending, but we don't really have any clues as to who taught her fire bending and earth bending.
I thought she had instructors sent down to the South Pole to teach her.

No, it was explicitly stated somewhere that Katara taught Korra Waterbending, and as of Episode 5, we also know she was taught Healing.

No, it was explicitly stated somewhere that Katara taught Korra Waterbending, and as of Episode 5, we also know she was taught Healing.
I meant for Earth and Firebending. In the first episode she is seen fighting firebenders in the South Pole and one of the guys says she passed her firebending phase or something like that.

I don't know how much I believe this outright, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. I hope this wasn't posted, I haven't been keeping a super close eye on this thread :/

It's interesting that Amon seems to have one female subordinate, as far as I can tell, though.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
I don't know how much I believe this outright, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. I hope this wasn't posted, I haven't been keeping a super close eye on this thread :/

It's interesting that Amon seems to have one female subordinate, as far as I can tell, though.
thats a fist. you can see fingers an the knuckle plate. epileptic trees

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Just chiming in to say that they panned out to show the equalists hostagising the announcer but not the girl in the most expensive booth watching the match.

Just chiming in to say that they panned out to show the equalists hostagising the announcer but not the girl in the most expensive booth watching the match.
to be fair, we haven't seen anything yet that says Asami WASN'T taken hostage...but I see what you mean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)