The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Good pic aerrow.

I think the crying comes from the music + happy ending. The creators are real good at using music ti invoke emotions :(

I thought the episode was great overall except for Lin getting her bending back so easily and Makkora happening in such a lame way.

I don't think it's quite that Amon hates benders because benders/Aang took his father's bending away; in fact I don't think this is it at all because it didn't seem like Noatak even liked his father. Before he ditched Tarlokk and Yakone, he said something about the Avatar being stronger than even such a strong bender as Yakone because the Avatar can take bending away. Basically, Amon realized that even the strongest bender can be made powerless by getting rid of their bending capabilities. This is why he sought to learn how to take away someone's bending, to become more powerful than anyone else. If you're a powerful bender and your bending is taken away, you're nothing; but if you're a powerful nonbender, there is nothing to take away.

Amon isn't out to avenge his father, but rather, he tried to become even more powerful by not repeating his mistake.

My theory is that since chi-blocking relies on hitting pressure points to stop peoples bending, he uses bloodbending to permanently damage said points, thus stopping them from bending.
I actually think this is very likely, since Katara was shown to be unable to cure chi-blocking (as when she tried in the Ba Sing Se Guards after Tai Li's attack), so a more powerful forme of chi-blocking using Bloodbending could do act as a permanent seal (blood seal?)

-The Makorra relationship still doesn't feel right to me at all - I wouldn't go as far as to say that they have no chemistry, as others have, but the "I love you"s came out of nowhere (they've known each other for weeks), and it seems that Asami's just been thrown by the wayside. That's gonna be awkward come season 2. Also, Bolin! He was on top form in the finale, but the Borra ship just kind of fizzled out and was never properly addressed. Much as I like him, he ought to be more than just comic relief.
Yeah, this was the one weak point that I feel the season had. Though, I feel that the finale handled the relationship much better than the rest of the series. I have a feeling that what the writers were trying to get at, was that Mako's feelings for Korra was mostly physical at first (where else Korra suffered from love at first sight, here. ), it wasn't really until Korra's disappearance that the emotional side really kicked in. Mako's feelings for Asami were entirely physical through and through (He was deeply attracted to her when they first met ), which is why Mako got with Korra in the end. Physical attraction can only get ya so far, after all. At least, that's how I'm interpreting their relationship...

-The juxtaposition of the airplane fight and Amon vs. Korra and Mako was pretty great on the whole, and was a nice callback to the multiple battles at the end of A:TLA, but there were a few too many deus ex machinas for my liking (Naga bounding in, Korra suddenly being able to airbend really well despite never doing it before, Amon suddenly not being able to defeat Makorra despite being such an obvious badass throughout the series), and Iroh could have done with some more characterisation other than being shown as a firebending badass, since he just sort of slips into Team Avatar without anyone saying anything about him (though his takedown of the planes was fucking awesome).
Korra's more or less a bending prodigy, which is probably why she was able to air bend so well when it finally happened. It also ain't like she hasn't spent an entire season studying air bending, mastering the forms, etc. She just couldn't get the air blowing. I don't think her doing so well at air bending really came all that out of left field.

-Someone already commented on the unlikelihood of Amon suddenly using waterbending so rashly when he'd been hiding it for so long, but I was more irritated at Mako suddenly breaking Amon's bloodbending - if neither Toph nor Aang could do it in the Yakone flashbacks, I really don't think that Mako ought to be able to. Plus, Amon's motivations were never properly explained: did he really believe in equalising everyone, or was he just in it for power? Because if it was the former, why did he even hide his bending in the first place? He could have taken his own bending away and proven to everyone how sincere he was. Moreover, his supporters switched sides ridiculously quickly when they same him waterbending, which is disappointing because the writers spent a lot of time showing how many non-benders had legitimate grievances with bending. Lastly, I was glad when Amon escaped because he's a great antagonist and could just as easily be the main villain of season 2 or just pop in as a villain of the week type perhaps (see: Alpha in Dollhouse). His 'death' scene just felt like the writers trying to tie up all the loose ends (hopefully he isn't quite as dead as that explosion would have us believe). I can't see how any villain in season 2 could top him, unless it's some sort of angry spirit (Koh out for revenge, perhaps? The comic posted here earlier about Koh and Wan Shi Tong was amazing).
Amon's waterbending was probably on instinct. Tarlok hinted that Amon truly believed that bending was evil, and probably felt that way do to how Yakone treated 'em. Removing his own bending would have meant that he would have been unable to remove the bending of anyone else. His supporters were probably pretty pissed that their leader was lying to 'em the whole time. I loved Amon as much as the next guy, but his death scene was probably one of the most well done scenes in the Avatar series and was an excellent end for his character imo.

-Speaking of trying to tie up all the loose ends...I was really surprised that the writers decided to take away Korra's bending. Having her cope with the fallout from no longer being able to bend would provide an excellent character dynamic for season 2, and I'm sure the writers would have been able to provide her with a way of regaining her abilities, most probably by invoking the spirit world (which is almost certainly coming back in season 2 anyway). Instead, Aang just showed up and was all like 'lol jk, here's your bending back'. I know there's a limit to what sort of ending you can get away with on a kid's show, but this one just felt overly eager to wrap up everything.
The removal of one's bending seemed like a fate worse than death... You don't generally kill main protagonists in a kids show, so leaving her without her bending was probably completely out of the question. Besides, that would have made season 2 to easy and predictable :)

So...just pretty much sums up the fact it was originally a one-shot season; like everyone's said, there's about zero cliffhangers even left. And I really don't get what the crying is about, there was nothing worth crying over.

I hope we see more of the rest of the world in season 2 personally, be nice to get away from the city. Then you can make some more plausible threats out there other than another city takeover.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
NO it was always planned to be a 26 eP 2 season show with option for more... This was always the plan

wow..

I totally called it lmao

I knew Tarrlok and Amon were related, and I figured he was a bloodbender as well who used it to somehow take away bending

but man, so many epic scenes in that episode

also Tarrlok is now one of my favorites, so courageous at the end :')

NO it was always planned to be a 26 eP 2 season show with option for more... This was always the plan
Uh no, it was originally intended as one season that got more episodes ordered and bumped up to 2 once all the extreme fan interest and support started coming in (since I mean, it's Avatar, duh, TLA was probably Nickelodeon's best rated show in forever). Here's an article even from last year saying so: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/08/the-last-airbender-legend-of-korra-the-creators-speak/

Now mind you I'm fine with it being extended even longer, more Avatar is always good. I just don't get why people seem to always think it has always been planned as 2+ seasons when it was originally picked up for one.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Frigging Bumi, I can't wait to see what sort of madness he will bring to the series. What a badass, you're siblings are both benders and your parents are legendary bending warriors, what do you do? Join the army oh yeah.

The whole thing with Tarrlok was just amazing. I always thought that Yakone would result in both Amon and Tarrlok in some way, although I expected that to be done with more flashbacks. I cannot believe his final scene too. Just, wow. That happened. He certainly did end the sad story.

The Aang reveal was probably the most amazing thing too, since the past avatars tended to show in a spiritual form rather than a physical one. My one nitpick is that they didn't figure out the whole bloodbending as a chi block, which really makes sense. I don't think it was a full moon so if they actually resorted to that it would have been really cool.

I'm very glad everything was wrapped up so nicely. Next season should start after Korra's marathon event to restore peoples bending.

At first I was like, "How are you gonna leave Amon free in the world like this?" Then I was like, "OH DAM TARRLOK!!!!!!"

An awesome episode for sure, but I don't really like how everything was wrapped up so conveniently.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I didn't like Korra being able to Airbend after Noatok Bloodbent her powers away. The only way it makes sense to me is, Noatok used Bloodbending to destroy/severely damage his victims' chi pathways, rendering them unable to bend. I'd like it to be explored more indepth next season, because if Noatok was able to do it, there's no reason an "ordinary" Bloodbender wouldn't be able to duplicate it under the full moon.

I also felt like a lot of "Endgame" was forced, particularly Makorra (though I am decidedly biased towards Borra/Masami ]8) and the ending scene with the past avatars. Korra behaved no more spiritually than ever, she just got really sad and then Aang came and magicked her Bending back. I liked the Hiroshi fight, but the Lieutenant's reaction scene seemed rushed and Noatok immediately becoming remorseful and releasing Tarrlok to run with him was strange to me.

But Ep#11 was fantastic, esp General Iroh beasting the planes. It kind of reminded me of when Bumi took back Omashu on his own, and kind of lends even more credibility to the Equalists, as it's hard to classify someone who can almost single-handedly disable the world's first airforce as anything other than "person of mass destruction."

Complaints about Endgame aside, I really enjoyed season 1 of LoK and hope season 2 is just as good.

agreeing that Iroh was pure badass and we'll definitely see more Iroh, Bumi, Bolin development in season 2. In regards to Bolin being pure comic relief in this season, Sokka was really the same way in season 1 of TLA. It really wasn't till we met Piandao and Sokka made his space sword that he got awesome backstory.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lesson of the day: if you're an insecure jealous mothafucka, then your boyfriend will cheat on you. The end.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
idk nobody in-universe seems to think tenzin is a scumbag for leaving lin for pema, so probs avatarland people have different values when it comes to this kind of stuff. mako is doin p much the same thing, so if nobody but beifong holds it against tenzin then i doubt anyone but asami is gonna be pissed at makorra

idk nobody in-universe seems to think tenzin is a scumbag for leaving lin for pema, so probs avatarland people have different values when it comes to this kind of stuff. mako is doin p much the same thing, so if nobody but beifong holds it against tenzin then i doubt anyone but asami is gonna be pissed at makorra
Well we barely know anything of that relationship other than they did date and were bf/gf at one point in time; I'm sure lots of people would label him a scumbag if he did act like Mako. Though honestly to be fair, as the last airbender I'm surprised polygamy hasn't been considered by him to increase the airbender populace in general since it seems to be a pretty good stroke all of his kids (so far shown) have inherited air bending so it won't die out sans Avatar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)