BW NU The Little Lizard that could (peaked #1)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

INTRODUCTION

Hello all, my name is Molk, and this is my first NU RMT! I play RU and NU a lot, and i would say im pretty good at both tiers, maybe not amazing, but im decent at the tiers. This team is a balanced team involving a defensive core of tangela, flareon and quagsire to wall most threats in the tier, combined with teammates to take on what the two cant handle, including a very underrated threat that can definatley hold its own in battle. I felt this RMT brought something new to the table, and shows how a player can suceed with many different pokemon. The purpose of NU is to explore a tier where almost anything is viable, and i feel two members of this team reflect this. anyways i dont know exactly how great this team is, but it was good enough to let me peak at #1 on the NU ladder with 1409 points. so i decided to post it :), i hope this team isnt total crap and maybe it could help people learn what NU is all about, exploring what pokemon dont stand out at first, but work in practice.

The Lead

Golem (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Golem is the pokemon i usually lead off with on this team, and boy am i glad i decided to try him out. Golem always gets his job done, no matter what. whether its setting up stealth rock, or taking down a pokemon or two on the opponents team. It also helps me out against birds, pokemon with substitute, and JYNX early game before sturdy is broken, jynx isnt easy to play around, but one rock blast will take her down easily, other threats such as ninjask and butterfree are equally useles against golem, getting destroyed no matter what. Earthquake rounds off golem's coverage, Koing camerupt, opposing golem, gigalith, and the rare steel-type. Sucker Punch allows golem to pick off weakened and frail pokemon, such as swellow, while also being golem's best move against mesprit. Imo golem is the best lead in NU, sturdy+lum berry endure golem gets at least one turn to hurt things or set up stealth rock golem should not be underestimated under any circumstances, and i hope nobody makes that mistake.

The Wall

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Quagsire is quite the defensive pokemon, with good physical bulk, a sole weakness to grass moves, access to recover, and the ability to check several boosting sweepers. Quagsire is always an excellent choice for teams needing a wall or check to things like SD samurott and absol. Scald may not be strong, but it lets quagsire burn physical attackers and take their hits better while slowly wearing them down, especially useful against things like sawk. Earthquake is Quagsire's main attacking move, dealing decent amounts of damage to anything that doesnt resist it, while also hitting muk and garbodor hard. Toxic is Quagsire's best defense against tangela, hitting it on the switch as it comes in to try and KO quagsire. Crippling it for the rest of the match. its also very useful for stalling out enemies such as sawk. Recover is standard on quagsire, helping quagsire to take more hits as if nothing happened, quagsire can be hard to wear down if you cant do more than 56% to it, as recover +lefties will heal most of that off, making quagsire quite hard for a team relying on boosting sweepers to handle.

The Revenge Killer of Birds, Fish and Mushrooms x_x

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

Jynx is the "glue" of this team, revenging pokemon that would otherwise threaten my team, such as swellow, gorebyss, and amoonguss. Jynx also has the ability dry skin, letting it switch in on water moves easily and regain a bit of its health. Ice Beam takes on swellow, braviary, and Rotom-s, and with s scarf, jynx dgaf about how much speed they have. Psychic takes out things such as gorebyss and sawk more easily, as well as the annoying throh. Focus blast does major damage to audino, lickilicky, and miltank, along with probopass and lairon. Lovely kiss may seem strange on a scarfed pokemon. but it really helps out against smart people who switch when i try to revenge kill them. they pay a price, their counter gets put to sleep! i considered running shadow ball here to revenge kill opposing jynx, but lovely kiss is very useful, and indisposable on jynx imo.

The Underdog

Scraggy (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Rest

This is the guy i was talking about, he really brings a lot to the table, unlike gurdurr, scraggy is a dark-type, allowing it to set up on the many psychics in the tier, as well as being able to kill haunter and misdreavus rather easily. Unlike skuntank, whenever scraggy comes in, it threatens a sweep, and forces a lot of switches, racking up stealth rock damage, it also checks cryogonal, and to an extent jynx, being able to take a +2 ice beam and crunch for the KO. Bulk up boost scraggy's attack and defense, which at first arent amazing (Even though its special defense is impressive) but go up fast, especially because scraggy can find many set up opprotunities vs things like mesprit, cryogonal, and lickilicky. Drain punch allows scraggy to attack and heal at the same time, and seriously damage probopass and bastiodon, as well as other things. with scraggy's low HP stat and high defenses, the HP recovery means a lot. Crunch rounds of scraggy's coverage, hitting things like mesprit, hypno, haunter, and misdreavus where it hurts. Rest heals up scraggy back to full HP in one turn, making it that much harder to break without a sawk, especially when shed skin kicks in to remove its sleep status early. overall a fun pokemon if you know how to use it.

The Cleric

Flareon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Lava Plume

Flareon is the newest addition to my team, it just happens to patch up every weakness my team has, while also providing some nice cleric support. Flareon checks tangela, magmortar, jynx, and cryogonal, while also patching up my ice weakness, despite the stealth rock weakness, flareon is actually really bulky on the special side, with wish to recover HP, and Heal bell to heal my team of status problems, flareon is an excellent cleric and finishes up my FWG core quite nicely. lava plume makes sure flareon isnt total taunt bait, and the burn chance is always handy. Flareon's wish support allows me to heal scraggy up without having to rely on rest, and heal bell heals scraggy of its sleep status so it can come in and threaten a sweep once again, overall a good mon that deserves more usage as a utility counter.

not much else to say until i use it a bit more

The Other Wall

Tangela (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangela is awesome, and pairs well with Flareon and Quagsire, forming the infamous "tangelQuag" core that walls almost all of the physical threats in the tier (patent by karpman) Tangela has sleep powder to put opponents to sleep that would otherwise threaten my team, while lech seed stops bulky boosters, forcing them to switch out, giga drain allows tangela to beat down quagsire rather easily, and gives tangela some recovery as well, Hidden Power ice is very important, being Tangela's main move against the birds, opposing grass-types, and ESPECIALLY altaria, who's defensive set can be a real pain in the neck otherwise. Tangela also has regenerator as a form of recovery, making it an excellent defensive pivot and fixes up my torterra weakness quite nicely. Overall an excellent mon, it was actually banned from PO's NU due to its sheer bulk (equal to giratina's). i seriously hope tangela remains a top tier pokemon and never falls out of usage, it is the closest thing to the physical blissey we have, even in OU lol.

CONCLUSION
This is my NU team, i hope my team was good enough, and if it wasnt, make sure to pick it apart as much as possible, i had fun laddering with a scraggy on my team. When it swept i felt VERY satisfied, overall i hope you enjoyed the RMT and i hope i can improve this team even more after i post it here. have fun with NU everyone, its a really fun tier

credit to ebeast for the idea of spectaria

THREATS TO THE TEAM

Pinsir: annoying but easy to revenge with jynx

Jynx: only offensive NP is a threat

Tangela: kinda annoying but Flareon kills it

Toxic Spikes sorta annoying, but regenerator and shed skin are excellent for mediating that

importable of this rather meh team:

Golem (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

Scraggy (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Rest

Flareon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Lava Plume

Tangela (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just realized that now that you posted SpecsTaria people will think I copied you when I post my RMT based on it o_o. (Draw faster Keiran :O)Anyways, Scraggy is just an absolute monster when you can set him up, he became threatening enough for people to start randomly using Clear Smog and Haze on weird things(Torkoal >_>') when you were laddering.

My only suggestion is to change Vileplume to Bold nature as the on-site analysis you got it from has a mistake. Modest is NOT necessary to OHKO Gorebyss, and the extra bulk is more appreciated.

PS: Not sure if you already have it, but the sexy black and yellow on the Leaderboard screenshot I took comes from the Pikachu Paradise theme. Use it!!

nigga ebeast just post it 9.9

Have you tried Psyshock > Psychic on Jynx? It hits Magmortar harder who threatens your team and let's you go pseudo "mix"

edit: it also lets you beat Cryogonal

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Congrats on number 1 molk! :D

This team was pretty damn good every time I faced it, and that Specs Altaria screwed me over so may times I'm slightly ashamed...

I can't really think of anything that would objectively improve this team, but would Payback be better on Scraggy than Crunch? Unless you're hitting the Ghosts on the switch, it has more of the power that Scraggy really wants.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Congrats on making #1! Vileplume is a pain to kill, but I have to say that your team is a bit Ice weak. Still, its a great team! :)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
my main way of dealing with ice-types, is scraggy, the most common ice-types are cryogonal and jynx, which scraggy can take on pretty easily (at least after jynx put something else to sleep) im considering putting grumpig over altaria but then i would have issues with specs exeggutor

Molk

Godlike Usmash
also, about my ice weakness, ive been considering spdef flareon over altaria, while i lose some offense, the ability to patch up every hole my team has is too good to pass up

edit: liking the change! im going to edit him in

edit2: looking for rates, all input is appreciated

Looks like a pretty solid team, nice to see someone using Flareon and Scraggy! I'm a big fan of them, they're both pretty underrated threats. Question: How does your team fare against SD Absol? It looks like you don't have much to counter it, apart from Quagsire to block its boosts, as it can outspeed and OHKO your Scraggy.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
as you said, quagsire can take on SD absol pretty easily, vileplume can also take it on if it hasnt boosted yet, mixed varients with HP grass are veery annoying tho (yes people run those)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)