The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

UPDATE: This is now a catch-all fighting/combat sports thread, so post away about boxing etc as well!

My favorite sport, Mixed Martial Arts is a combative sport in which 2 fighters compete against each other for 3 to 5 rounds to achieve victory through either decision, submission or knocking out the other opponent.

To most of you it may be better known as the UFC, which is incorrect. Referring to MMA as the UFC is like referring to Basketball as the NBA. Mixed Martial Arts has a rich history in many different organizations, in Japan, Mixed Martial Art competitions are usually held in a ring instead of a cage.

It was started to pit different styles of Martial Arts against each other to see which is effective. The results that followed gave us a glimpse of true, technical combat and a popular sport was born.

These days, most MMA fighters are diverse in more than 1 style, to cover different areas of fighting: striking, ground work/grappling and take downs. Popular martial art disciplines adopted by fighters include Judo, Ju Jitsu, Boxing, Wrestling, Kickboxing and Karate.

So, this is a thread to speak of the history and legends of MMA, and more importantly the current events.

To start of the thread, I'll say that it's February 11, 2009 and I'm excited as hell for UFC 96 and I want to see Rampage KO'd by Jardine.

And if it's your first post you have to give a list of your 10 favorite fighters.

Here's my list:
1. Fedor Emelianenko(Russian)-Sambo, Judo, Boxing
2. Sakuraba(Japanese)-Catch-Wrestling, Kickboxing
3. Lyoto Machida(Brazilian of Japanese descent)-Shotokan Karate, Sumo, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu
4. Wanderlei Silva(Brazilian)-Muay Thai
5. Antonio Rodrigo Noguira(Brazilian)-Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, Judo, Boxing
6. Mirko Filipovic(Croatian)-Kickboxing
7. Josh Barnett(American)-Catch-Wrestling
8. Shynia Aoki(Japanese)-Judo, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu
9. Chuck Liddell(American)-Keo-Kan Karate, Kickboxing, Wrestling
10. Oleg Taktarov(Russian)-Sambo

I myself practice Ju-Jitsu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was once a national champion wrestler. I find that alot of mixed martial arts people that have success actually know enough wrestling to make close combat unpleasant with them.

UFC is pretty lame, I must say, it's way overhyped and my roommate is adamant about how fake it is. I just observe it to be a bit of kicking followed by a 5 minute hug fest.

I was once a national champion wrestler. I find that alot of mixed martial arts people that have success actually know enough wrestling to make close combat unpleasant with them.

UFC is pretty lame, I must say, it's way overhyped and my roommate is adamant about how fake it is. I just observe it to be a bit of kicking followed by a 5 minute hug fest.
There's deep technical realms surrounding every kick and every punch, I really think it's misunderstood.

You think Boxing's technical?

Or Karate?

Or Wrestling?

Well MMA is a mix of all of those and more.

I don't understand why people don't appreciate it.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
if I go by favorites, theres my boy GSP on top of the mountain

all local Québécois products such as Patrick Côté and David Loiseau fit in there somewhere second.

Other than that, there are too many fighters I like to make an actual top 10. I would have an easier time making a top 10 least favorite.

Your "favorites" list appears to come straight from 2004. Word to the wise, Pride doesnt exist anymore.

Do you want to see Jardine knock out Quinton solely because that would pretty much guarantee Machida his title shot?

I like, generally speaking, the direction that MMA is going in.

I think for a period of time it really turned into a "hugfest" because people were over-enamored of BJJ. But the fact is, traditional BJJ without gis isn't that effective against somebody employing even the most basic of defenses. It's becoming pretty evident now that the black-belt BJJ fighters aren't significantly more dominant on the ground than some of the purple-belts. The way I see it, recently BJJ in MMA has become about good defense and not getting submitted on the ground while trying to transfer to a better position where you're not trying to submit your opponent so much as punish him with punches.

I guess to put it slightly more concisely, I think people are coming to the realization that traditional BJJ has led to a lot of stalemates, especially from the guard position. The guy on bottom is reluctant to open his legs, is unable to get any submissions, and the guy on top has a bitch of a time passing the guard. What the next new big thing is I'm not sure, but whether it's rubber guard, more standup fighting, less willingness to pop into guard, focus on different martial arts, or whatever, the current pop on your back and throw up wild triangle attempts trend has about run its course.

Teachers must be really bad nowadays, very few of the fighters kick for the legs. It's a highly effective strategy for disabling your opponents. If it wasn't for me being out of practice for 2 years, I might actually have gone to a recent MMA fight in my area...

You think Boxing's technical?

Or Wrestling?
I'll be damned if you tell me wrestling isn't technical- there are no punches, no kicking, no cheapshots. It's all person vs person technical skill and ability. You are a complete idiot if you think your MMA doesn't rely alot on the technicality that wrestling brings. Since it's one of the oldest combative sports, I should basically have veto here. Go Athens.

I support anyone who does Muay Thai. UFC seeks like a small gimmick to me though. it's pretty interesting I guess.

I'll be damned if you tell me wrestling isn't technical- there are no punches, no kicking, no cheapshots. It's all person vs person technical skill and ability.
Punching, Kicking and "cheapshots" are very technical aspects of fighting, throw a kick at the wrong time and you're on your ass, throw bad punches and suddenly you've just eaten a right hook.. If you don't believe boxing and kickboxing are technical, you really don't know anything about either.

Wrestling is always strong to some extent, but most Wrestlers lose in MMA to someone with better skills once they actually do land a take down - at least at first - Dan Severn got Triangle choked by Royce Gracie, Brock Lesnar got foot locked by Frank Mir, Mark Coleman got Armbarred by Fedor Emelianenko, etc etc.

At any rate: I look forward to UFC 96 and the next Affliction event..

I'll be damned if you tell me wrestling isn't technical- there are no punches, no kicking, no cheapshots. It's all person vs person technical skill and ability. You are a complete idiot if you think your MMA doesn't rely alot on the technicality that wrestling brings. Since it's one of the oldest combative sports, I should basically have veto here. Go Athens.
Thanks for misunderstanding my responses and calling me an idiot in the process.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49580

I've never been a big fan of MMA as a spectator. I find it a little boring tbh and the big matches seldom live up to the hype. I used to box though so I respect the hell out of anybody who excels in a combat sport. The level of fitness, dedication and guts required is far beyond what you'd expect unless you've experienced it for yourself.

Fights not living up to the hype?

Sounds like boxing to me.

At least they don't appear to be as blatantly faked as most 'high end' MMA. Most of the UFC and similar MMA shows appear to me to be just a few kicks followed by a hug fest between two barely clothed, naked men.

At least they don't appear to be as blatantly faked as most 'high end' MMA. Most of the UFC and similar MMA shows appear to me to be just a few kicks followed by a hug fest between two barely clothed, naked men.
MMA is huge right now. UFC gets more PPV buys than boxing, pro wrestling, and every other "combat sport" right now. (I'd venture to say in the world, but I don't now. I know for sure that's the case in America.)

I'm a fan of MMA, but I don't buy the PPVs. I will watch it when it's free, and I think there's a free event on SpikeTV next week.

Oh, I don't mean like the punching, kicking and blood. They definately beat the shit out of each other. I think the outcomes very well could be rigged, much like the outcome of the last NHL allstar game (I mean come on, write a better ending than the hometown hero winning it in a shootout).

I could be wrong, but it just seems like you have heros and villains, fan favorites and people hated by the fans. Why would that be unless there was some scripting?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No, you are confused, this isn't pro wrestling.

There are no villains.

If there are, that does not guarantee victory to the "fan favorite".

Perhaps you have a few fights in mind that gave you this impression? Name them. I could just as easily name fights where the clear cut fan favorite got his ass handed to him. Kimbo Slice comes to mind.

Regardless, its absolutely non-sensical to aknowledge the brutality, the punches, the kicks, the blood and that they DO beat the shit out of each other but saying with the same breath that the outcome is fixed.

"Why would that be unless there was some scripting?"

Is that implying there couldnt be fan favorites without scripting? Are there no fan favorites in other sports?

I really can't recall fights since I'm not huge on it, I was really thinking of more tossing it out there to see what people thought but was probably a bit strong on the opinion.

Well it's completely reasonable to say "Go out and beat the shit out of each other, but in the third round take a dive". This has happened before in pro sports, why couldn't it happen there?

I must say, I do respect the guys that can wrestle alot more than someone who just walks out and one or two punches a guy and thinks he's done something other than get lucky. A guy I used to wrestle with is actually in a league below the UFC, something like the westcoast fighting league or some such thing. He is like 16-2 last I checked, but that was a few years ago before his two knee surgerys at the age of 22 or so.

dude, of course they are rigged. did you WATCH the Mir vs. Silvia fight? i mean COME ON. you think that his arm breaking was an ACCIDENT?!?!?!

shut the fuck up

also, how exactly is one "lucky" when he "one two" punches a guy in the face? the other dude just happened to forget that he was in a fight? stand up game is just as technical as wrestling, you have to predict your opponents movements or have lighting fast reactions in order to take the least amount of damage possible and/ or counter the attack.

also, how exactly is one "lucky" when he "one two" punches a guy in the face?
Lucky enough to have the guy not be prepared for the attack that you are about to execute? I'd say that it's pretty circumstantial to be able to come in on that, assuming it's not one of the insanly powerful guys walking in on someone like chris is me and THEN one punching.

Speaking from a personal experience with combative sports, you actually CAN catch someone off guard, even if they are prepared. For example, I beat this one gentleman in 12 seconds one time by way of pin. He proceeded to defeat me 12-2, 10-0 etc (they call the match at 10 point leads) every other match, he was soundly the better wrestler but I caught him one time, unprepared for what I was about to do. Can you call that anything but luck?

stand up game is just as technical as wrestling, you have to predict your opponents movements or have lighting fast reactions in order to take the least amount of damage possible and/ or counter the attack.
You are totally right. I thought that fellow, who later sent me a flavorful PM (lol), was ripping on wrestling for whatever reason and comparing it in a non favorable way. I must be off my rocker, I'm pretty stressed right now...and I have a cat on valium flipping out because he just had major dental surgery. :P Sorry if I sound crazy guys.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
He is like 16-2 last I checked, but that was a few years ago before his two knee surgerys at the age of 22 or so.
what?

whats his name, his record should be easy to find on fight finder searches on websites like sherdog.

we don't see many 22 year olds with 18 pro fights in mma and chances are if he is/was indeed 16-2, I would have heard of him.

I think these are his latest stats, for the latest league he is in...It seems though that every single website has different stats for him, so I am not too sure what to trust! Is it perhaps different leagues or perhaps some of them are not up to date, I didn't really do that much digging since I'm not that into this sport.

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS11480
http://www.mma-madness.com/fighter/2280

The record that was really impressive was some unofficial league of some sort, he described it to me as being 'just under UFC' but that could mean a great many things, now that I am reading. I think this is a different league that he is in now, one that doesn't make him fight nearly as much. I used to wrestle with him, I ruined his perfect season- a season where he was not only undefeated but he was UNSCORED upon. He was an asbosolute beast.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
if he has 18+ fights, they were likely amateur fights, which would right away pretty much indicate several leagues below the UFC.

at best he is 1-1 in pro fights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)