The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

Well I meant cheap as in Marquardt went right in and started punching away while the other guy was trying to signal the ref over while still down, but eh.

Moral of the story, don't wait for a t/o when you're in a submissive position. People who don't keep their hands up have a funny habit of getting knocked out.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shady my ass. Refs and docs checked Nate's legs before and after the fight, and there was nothing shady about it. Palhares tried to call Marquardt out simply because he got his sweaty legs out of a weak lock from Palhares. The guy should know better than to drop his guard when he's on the ground and his opponent is on his feet. End of story.

Shady my ass. Refs and docs checked Nate's legs before and after the fight, and there was nothing shady about it. Palhares tried to call Marquardt out simply because he got his sweaty legs out of a weak lock from Palhares. The guy should know better than to drop his guard when he's on the ground and his opponent is on his feet. End of story.
I'm willing to bet you think Akiyama wasn't greasing against Sakuraba either.. He got checked before and after too, came up with nothing, then they looked at the pre-fight footage backstage and it turned out he was greased like a fricken pig.

And before you say US athletic commissions are any better..

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...eo-joe-rogan-rants-about-ufc-109s-ice-spill/1

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXkKIYfrClo

The moment happens at 3:40 in the vid.

Call it whatever you want, call Marquardt out as a cheater if you want, Palhares was a moron even if Marquardt was greased. That hold was loose at best and Palhares should know better than to lay on his back and try to get the ref's attention with Marquardt freshly standing right next to him.

You might be jaded, but I'm gonna give Nate the benefit of the doubt here. That leg lock was weak at best from what I saw, and then backing that up with terrible judgment is just a bad decision.

Call it whatever you want, call Marquardt out as a cheater if you want, Palhares was a moron even if Marquardt was greased. That hold was loose at best and Palhares should know better than to lay on his back and try to get the ref's attention with Marquardt freshly standing right next to him.

You might be jaded, but I'm gonna give Nate the benefit of the doubt here. That leg lock was weak at best from what I saw, and then backing that up with terrible judgment is just a bad decision.
Did you not read my first post where I said Palhares made a mental mistake you slow prick?

What I'm saying is, this shit is shady, fighters are fairly regularly saying guys from Jacksons camp are slippery (GSP, Rashad, and Nate have all been accused of it now).

Eh, it might diminish his win if true, but it was still great seeing him beat the shit out of Silva for basically 5 rounds. Now, the true controversy would have been if he'd won and not gotten choked out at the last minute, but as that didn't happen...this'll definitely affect their planned rematch for sure. Probably gonna see Okami now lose to Silva, since Okami isn't going to lose to Belfort...

Still doesn't change the fact he's a master of talking shit either in often humorous fashion. Seriously, calling out GSP and Shogun, then saying he'd slap Lesnar in the face and that Lesnar wouldn't do anything about it...this guy is nuts in a good way.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Eh, it might diminish his win if true, but it was still great seeing him beat the shit out of Silva for basically 5 rounds. Now, the true controversy would have been if he'd won and not gotten choked out at the last minute, but as that didn't happen...this'll definitely affect their planned rematch for sure. Probably gonna see Okami now lose to Silva, since Okami isn't going to lose to Belfort...

Still doesn't change the fact he's a master of talking shit either in often humorous fashion. Seriously, calling out GSP and Shogun, then saying he'd slap Lesnar in the face and that Lesnar wouldn't do anything about it...this guy is nuts in a good way.
agreed 100%

Meh, for what it's worth I seriously doubt Silva was injured, seems to be a pretty good excuse for his ass being kicked for 5 rounds.

Also heard rumors that Cro Cop was injured and not fighting Mir...hope they aren't true, I wanna see the LHK on Mir.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My take is you're not seeing it even if he does end up fighting Mir.

Heard you can make it happen in the video game however... your best bet.

My take is you're not seeing it even if he does end up fighting Mir.

Heard you can make it happen in the video game however... your best bet.
One can always hope can't they? I mean, no one gave him a chance against Barry and he did look sloppy, but he pulled out his first submission win in what, 5 years? More unexpected things have happened after all.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Sonnen

+

Roids

+

Injured Anderson

=

Best chance Sonnen ever got and he blew it spectacularly.
Not sure why you're saying it like Silva pulled the triangle choke in the 2nd round...

Also heard rumors that Cro Cop was injured and not fighting Mir...hope they aren't true, I wanna see the LHK on Mir.
I'm a big Cro Cop fan, but let's be realistic, Pride Cop Cop and the current Cro Cop are not the same. Sometimes we see the Pride Cro Cop, like when he pulled the axe kick against Barry, which was something not commonly, if at all, seen in the UFC. I wish the best of luck to Frank Mir, and to not get over-confident again, but from what I see, he's shit talking is limited in this fight.

I picked Silva to sub Sonnen and I'll go ahead and say it. Sonnen mauled Silva. Roids or no roids, injury or no injury.

I believe it's already been confirmed that the winner of Belfort/Okami fights Silva next. Okami/Silva 2 looks possible and that'd be another bad match-up for Silva. Silva's a nightmare for Vitor so I don't see that one being as interesting. Also I think Okami/Belfort will go much like Ortiz/Belfort did back in the day.

Now on to something interesting. :)

K-1 2010 WGP Final 16 full fight card revealed:
-Final 16 fights:

Alistair Overeem vs Ben Edwards-expecting Overeem to do well in this tourney. Definitely winning this fight

Jerome Le Banner vs Kyotaro-Kyotaro takes it

Semmy Schilt vs Hesdy Gerges-With Badr Hari out, unless someone pushes Semmy with some crazy aggression I think he'll win the whole damn thing with his defensive striking.

Ewerton Teixeira vs Peter Aerts

Errol Zimmerman vs Daniel Ghita

Gokhan Saki vs Freddy Kemayo

Andrei Arlovski vs Raul Catinas-No that's not a typo. Arlovski's in. He'll do better than people think.

Ruslan Karaev vs Tyrone Spong

Super Fights:

Chalid "Die Faust" vs Dzevad Poturak--A Bosnian. hellz yeah :D

Sergey Kharitonov vs Takumi Sato-Yeah. Kharitonov. Awesome. Agreed.

Min Ho Song vs Hyun Man Myung

EDIT: Josh Barnett's in Strikeforce. Who says the UFC has the best HW division? Fedor, Barnett, Bigfoot, Werdum, Overeem, Arlovksi...HELLL YEAH

In perspective

Brock - Werdum
Cain - Overeem
Carwin - Fedor
Junior - Bigfoot
Mir - Barnett
Nog (or Roy Nelson) - Arlovski
Rothwell - Rogers

SF certainly has more depth in there (I can see at most 2-3 of those fights going to UFC guys), and their prospects are pretty good too.

I'd love to see them pick up some other free agents like Ricco Rodriguez (who is now not-fat), Shamil Abdurahimov, and Jon Olav Einemo.

That's cool Venom.:)

I will say the brown pride tat is pushing it though honestly. Also laughing at the marketing team with their baddest man on the planet crap.

Well, looks like they're (once again) giving Belfort the shot at Silva, and making the next contender bout between Okami and Marquardt now...

I know I'm knocking on Belfort again, but I still say he's underserving of the shot against Silva; the dude was resigned by the UFC over a year ago, he got a TKO on Rich Franklin (in a 195 lb catchweight bout I might add, considering Franklin was already on his way out of MW and moving into LHW), and all of a sudden he's deserving of a title shot at MW? Hell if you look at his past history in the UFC, he sucks, he was only decent in Pride.

Really, Belfort is just going to bomb. Badly. It'll be about a year and a half layoff since his last fight against Franklin, he's came off injury, no one knows what he'll look like. And I hardly believe he's been devoting the last year to training for Silva, who's just gonna knock him on his ass at this point...at least a bout with Okami would have shown us what shape Belfort is in and if he's really deserving or not.

Hell if you look at his past history in the UFC, he sucks, he was only decent in Pride.
His PRIDE record against good opponents is 1-3 (losses to Sakuraba, Overeem and Henderson with a win over Herring).

His UFC record against good opponents is 2-4 (losses to Couture 2x, Chuck and Ortiz, with wins over Wanderlei and Franklin -- this is discarding his cut stoppage over Couture).

He's slightly better on percentages in the UFC than PRIDE.

I'd be more concerned about the fact he struggled with the cut to 195 last time out.

^ good points as well, though I was looking more at bouts overall.

So, predictions for this Saturday...

Mir vs Cro Cop: I really don't care for Mir, I would love to see Cro Cop pull out a win. Realistically, Mir has the advantage in both youth and training time (in comparison to the older Cro Cop who took the fight on short notice), but I could never see myself rooting for Mir...hell, even in Lesnar/Mir 2, Mir was being booed just as much when I watched it. So yeah...though the LHK probably won't happen, though if it did, it would be awesome.

Lil Nog vs Bader: Nothing against lil nog, but unless he's capable of more than what he showed against a no-name like Brilz, he'll end up being another washed out Pride fighter. That said though, I think Bader has the skills to beat lil nog; he has heavy hands and the wrestling to take him down.

Serra vs Lytle: Eh, both fighters are pretty decent, and it'll finally solve who is the better fighter from that TUF 4 match. Granted, in no way would Lytle have gotten a lucky shot in against GSP that would have briefly won the WW title from him, but eh.

Dunham vs Sherk: Really depends, if Sherk is still adamant about trying to slug it out, Dunham will win handily. However, if Sherk decides to revert back into wrestler mode, I can see this being much more competitive for him. Still, the injuries and cage rust will probably lead to a Sherk loss, but eh.

Stephens vs Guillard: Don't care too much for Guillard, so going with Stephens.

Undercards...eh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)