The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

Well a draw...that is interesting...

I agree props to Frankie for coming back as well as he did after R1, but I still felt Maynard won that, even if just barely...

So, now what happens? I think it's a bit of an insult to Maynard to leave him hanging in limbo as Edgar faces Pettis, unless he's guaranteed the winner of that bout. I mean in a sort of mean way, Pettis should be the odd man out since he's basically a leftover from the absorbed WEC, he should be the one left waiting while these 2 finish up.

What else...Vera definitely needs to move back up to HW imo; he was a far more dynamic (if undersized) HW than his so far bad trip as LHW, he hasn't beaten a single decent LHW at all (I mean, at HW he lost to Silvia and Werdum, but Silva was at the top of his game back then and Werdum...well, he's good also). Either that or Vera will probably be cut/signed by Strikeforce, who seems to like scooping up discarded UFC fighters. Diaz I thought won against Kim, thought that was a bit lame, and Guida avoided Gomi power punches and subbed him.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't even see the blasted fight so I can't pick one over the other, but I'd assume an immediate rematch would be in order since it was a tie for a championship match.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As far as I can tell, Gray Maynard is still going to be #1 contender after the Pettis-Edgar match. Still, I have to say that Edgar definitely deserved that. The first round was a fluke and an issue of Edgar getting caught and not knowing his range, and once he found his range he basically put a beating on Maynard for the next four rounds with only a couple stray blows hitting him- he stuffed nearly every takedown, managed takedowns of his own (against a guy with 87%+ td defense and 75%+ td offense), and beat Maynard at his own game while surviving the hands down nastiest beating I've seen outside of Velasquez' putaway of Lesnar.

It may not be what either of them wanted, but at the very least for both of then a tie is better than a loss. Maynard retains his top contender title, and Edgar gets to rumble with Pettis.

EDIT:

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=5980717

LAS VEGAS -- UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar will make his next title defense against the man who nearly took it from him Saturday night at UFC 125 -- Gray Maynard.

"After what just happened, Maynard deserves it," UFC president Dana White said. "I told you guys this earlier and want you to be first to know. It's only fair."
Scrap what I just said, immediate rematch.

^ Good...it's the only fair way to settle this. Will be interesting to see how the fighters change their approaches this time.

About the only "con" if it is that, is that the LW division again is tied up again, because Pettis rightfully should gain the winner, and in a stacked division, there's a lot to sort out as to who gets the shot after him and so on. Hate to say it, but they need to get the rematches going ASAP, they can't wait half a year for it like they can in the other divisions, and if either are pulling out due to injury, they need to get interim titles in line.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know, I wouldn't mind seeing Pettis fight someone in the interim, kinda how Grispi fought Poirier even though he had a title shot lined up and could have just sat on it. If Pettis really deserves his shot, it might be nice to see him up against one of the top UFC-based contenders before giving him the title shot.

Then again, that's just me.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Frankie Edgar showed some pretty amazing heart in that fight, being able to overcome an almost loss to somebody who had already beat him, a lot of respect for that.

If anybody else followed my boy Brad Tavares vs Phil Baroni, Tavares also showed some heart there, but seemed kinda slow this fight.

LMFAO, did anyone else catch who're gonna be the coaches for the next TUF? Lesnar and Dos Santos XD

I'm sorry, I like Lesnar as a fighter, but what the FUCK does he know about coaching in his extremely newbie MMA career (regardless of White says)? This is just going to end very badly for him, I really don't know how/why the hell he accepted this gig...oh wait, I do. It's because they're screwing over Dos Santos from his next-in-line shot at Velazquez because Cain is out with an injury and they want to force more Brock into the picture, so what better way then to match these two up...add in the fact Brock has no real camp he trains with (and thus can plug on the show to run things for him like GSP did) and you're just looking at a bad picture. Plus, it's your standard filler WWs for a spot...kinda boring in itself, why not have more MW or LHW?

Realistically, I don't even like Brock's chances against Dos Santos in a fight; it's apparent Brock doesn't like being hit hard, and Dos Santos is one of the harder sluggers in HW. So unless Brock can pin Dos Santos and somehow avoid his submissions as well (or vastly improved from his outing with Cain), I just really don't get this...it really does sound more like what the UFC cooked up rather than something I'd see Lesnar walking into super willingly. He's likely gonna look like a fool on TV (he really seems like a private sort of person, so unless he decides to show more of his WW-whatever side...), plus he has a rather bad matchup at the end of it.

Let's see what else...they're talking about Guida/Pettis; now while this would normally be a great matchup, it does sort of screw Pettis out of his rightful chance to challenge the winner of Edgar/Maynard 2, so unless he has a guarantee from the top brass that he would get that shot still regardless...

Uggghhh...this has disaster written all over it. I would have expected literally every other fighter in UFC to be a coach before Brock. And why the fuck is JDS doing this, he already earned his shot...eh, it'll be interesting to see Brock try to coach when he seemingly doesn't know how to train. This is just a marketing plot because people want to see Brock; whether he's earned it or not, he gets attention.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wait, Brock doesn't know how to train?

The only thing that bothers me about this is that we have HWs coaching welterweights, that doesnt seem all that ideal.

Well, between running away from punches and posting his feet on the fence and leaving his face open (what the fuck was he trying to do, walk up the cage), it looks like bad training, especially considering how much like the Carwin fight the Cain fight looked. And his striking...yeah.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
LMFAO, did anyone else catch who're gonna be the coaches for the next TUF? Lesnar and Dos Santos XD

I'm sorry, I like Lesnar as a fighter, but what the FUCK does he know about coaching in his extremely newbie MMA career (regardless of White says)? This is just going to end very badly for him, I really don't know how/why the hell he accepted this gig...oh wait, I do. It's because they're screwing over Dos Santos from his next-in-line shot at Velazquez because Cain is out with an injury and they want to force more Brock into the picture, so what better way then to match these two up...add in the fact Brock has no real camp he trains with (and thus can plug on the show to run things for him like GSP did) and you're just looking at a bad picture. Plus, it's your standard filler WWs for a spot...kinda boring in itself, why not have more MW or LHW?

Realistically, I don't even like Brock's chances against Dos Santos in a fight; it's apparent Brock doesn't like being hit hard, and Dos Santos is one of the harder sluggers in HW. So unless Brock can pin Dos Santos and somehow avoid his submissions as well (or vastly improved from his outing with Cain), I just really don't get this...it really does sound more like what the UFC cooked up rather than something I'd see Lesnar walking into super willingly. He's likely gonna look like a fool on TV (he really seems like a private sort of person, so unless he decides to show more of his WW-whatever side...), plus he has a rather bad matchup at the end of it.

Let's see what else...they're talking about Guida/Pettis; now while this would normally be a great matchup, it does sort of screw Pettis out of his rightful chance to challenge the winner of Edgar/Maynard 2, so unless he has a guarantee from the top brass that he would get that shot still regardless...
Yeah I heard about it, I was actually on my way to post this but you beat me to it.

I really don't like Lesnar's abilities as a whole even, the majority of his ability to win fights is just his abnormal size and strength for his weight, I mean you can say he can wrestle and things, but if he didn't just have the ability to make up for his skill flaw with near untoppable strength, he wouldn't have much going for him.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I like how Lesnar gets another chance at getting beat up by Cain Velasquez just by coaching some reality show while JDS had to work his ass off to get a chance there.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually feel bad for the TUF contestants this time around. What do Lesnar and Dos Santos really have to offer these guys? Lesnar's striking and defensive stand-up still need a lot of work, and Dos Santos hasn't really shown much on the ground. Lesnar pretty much works with his immense "natural" talent, and Dos Santos depends on stuffing takedowns and keeping everything standing. Neither one is really a "complete" fighter, so I have a hard time seeing them being good coaches for prospects that likely have diverse and incomplete skills. Also, does anyone know how well or badly JDS speaks English?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
They'll bring their own squad of coaches with them and they cant really be any worse than Rampage was.

I'm not worried at all.

They'll bring their own squad of coaches with them and they cant really be any worse than Rampage was.

I'm not worried at all.
Well that's the main problem with Lesnar...he has no regular camp or coaching to make up for (presumably) his own coaching deficiencies in MMA besides whoever he decides to train with at a given time. At least Dos Santos is part of Black House.

So I dunno...I agree I do feel bad for whatever WWs decide to compete, but we'll see. Who knows, maybe Lesnar and Dos Santos will turn out to be the best coaches ever lol.

I actually feel bad for the TUF contestants this time around. What do Lesnar and Dos Santos really have to offer these guys? Lesnar's striking and defensive stand-up still need a lot of work, and Dos Santos hasn't really shown much on the ground.
JDS speaks English better than Nog does, of the Black House/Team Nogueira fighters his English is by far the best.

Really I don't think the fighters are a major factor as coaches (except for a couple of series I don't think the coaches have had any kind of impact on the fighters at all, the exceptions being the first, eighth and tenth seasons) - more who they bring in as coaching staff.

Depending on who Brock brings in, this could get interesting: Brock had some pretty fricken good coaches at various times, Matt Hume, Erik Paulson, and the staff at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy - I doubt he'll get Erik away from CSW long enough to do TUF though.

Let's see, Fight for the Troops tomorrow apparently...some predicitons:

Dunham > Guillard: Never cared for Guillard (I think it's the hair), that and Dunham is definitely better all-around.
Hague > Mitrione: Eh, don't care for Mitrione much.
Roop > Hominick: Really don't know anything about featherweights, so random guess.
Barry > Beltran: Barry will never live down being subbed by a far-past-prime Cro Cop, but may as well start picking up some wins so people take you more seriously.
Miller > Wiman: Another random guess.

Prelims, eh...rooting for McKenzie to win by McKenzitine I suppose. What can I say, none of the fights are that appealing lol, but they make for a good show to military personnel I guess.

My predictions are thus..

Miller > Wiman, Miller has shown a weakness to powerful strikers and that's it, Wiman is not one of them.

Barry > Beltran, assuming he doesn't injure himself somehow.

Hominick > Roop, if only because he was smart enough to stick with Couture instead of follow Tompkins - Hominick has a distinct grappling advantage and is probably a better striker. Despite its billing as a top contender match, I can only hope that they give the winner of the Omigawa vs Mendes fight the next title shot or it's going to be another Aldo massacre (though my personal opinion is Omigawa is overrated and Hioki is the best Japanese FW).

Hague > Mitrione, Hague is basically better at everything with the exception of being a ridiculously good athlete - Mitrione also isn't that good on his back.

Guillard > Dunham, I know this sounds like an insane pick but Melvin is a better striker and an equivalent quality wrestler - if he doesn't make a stupid mistake like he did against Nate he should win this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)