The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Tapu Bulu]

Congratulations to ThickFatAzumarill for winning this week's Next Best Thing! Your submission will be logged in the Archive!
This week's subject is extra crispy and has a need for speed: Blaziken! Blaziken has great coverage and can pack a punch with any number of Z-moves. In addition, Blaziken is arguably the best Mega in the metagame, thanks to its great speed tier and powerful STABs. So, with all that in mind, what is The Next Best Thing (TM) for Blaziken?

You have until Tuesday (10/10) at 9:00 p.m. EST (GMT-4) to post your submissions. Best of luck to everyone!

I'm glad I'm here first!

Blaziken @ Electrium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Love this set so much. While not having protect can really suck a lot of the time, your Blaziken "counters" are really limited with this set. SD on the switch to a fat water like prim / fini / suicune / rotom-w / THA PEX, bop them with the z thunder punch. Not having to play mindgames vs Gyarados is also really nice. While you miss out on a lot by not having protect, you gain the ability to eliminate the typical blaziken answers

@ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Work Up
- High Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat / Fire Blast

Often Mixed Blaziken sets rely on protect to gain their speed when they have no Focus Sash, but when having this item they often lack the damage output. This is a simple way to get both. You setup Work Up while your speed raises without worrying that much.
At +1 HP Ice OHKOs SpDef MMence and Fire Blast KOs Aegislash. Overheat is for power or if you need to straightly ohko aegislash at +0.

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge / Protect

The point of this set is to bring Blaziken in on something it commonly threatens, like most Steel-types, and Bulk Up as it switches out. High Jump Kick and Flare Blitz are Mega Blaziken's most powerful physical STAB moves and Stone Edge is for Flying-types and Fire-types, but Protect can be run to get a boost in Speed.

Defensive
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 4+ Def Mega Blaziken: 110-132 (58.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. +2 252 HP / 4+ Def Mega Blaziken: 111-132 (59.3 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 4+ Def Mega Blaziken: 158-188 (84.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Offensive
+2 0 Atk Mega Blaziken Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 180-214 (105.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0 Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 166-196 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 0 Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 128-152 (68.4 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO[HIDE/]

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

WEKPOLBLAZ (Blaziken) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- Endure
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Baton Pass / Overheat

This set is god-tier. It really is. Granted, the first turn out can be a bit dicey, but once you get that Speed boost, you're set. Endure + Weakness Policy is a thing that I'm surprised hasn't taken the metagame by storm, and Blaziken is a perfect exemplar. 212 Spe is to hit an excellent speed tier to outrun folks like Gyarados, Modamant Pheromosa, Scarf Washtom, and other such fast hitters. The 44 HP is for acquiring that sweet 161 stat, so you can make precisely 4 substitutes. The rest is fairly self-explanatory. If you felt so inclined, you could put some of those Atk EVs into SpA if you're using Overheat instead of Baton Passing, but Reversal does the job pretty well unless you're paranoid of Mega Gengar (for which I wouldn't blame you). However...

+2 4 SpA Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

...you don't really need too many. God, I love this set.

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Blaziken @ Rockuim Z
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

While this set isn't as great as Z-Thunder Punch, Continental Crush gets rid of Salamence and Chandelure while still hitting water types pretty hard.

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.

Blaziken @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Protect / Hidden Power [Ice]

252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 170-202 (96.5 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 202-238 (128.6 - 151.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 188-222 (101.6 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 224-264 (104.1 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Max Sp.Def:

252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 188-222 (87.4 - 103.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (Stealth Rock turns 18.8% into 62.5%)

Tapu Fini, Rotom, Primarina, and Hippowdon. Grassium Z opens a way for Blaziken to lure and remove them in one hit, without giving them a second chance or whatsoever.

--​

If you want some meme on Salamence (which will be temped to switch in especially once you reveal that your Blaziken is Special Attacker), get HP Ice and do this:

252+ SpA Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 140 HP / 8 SpD Salamence-Mega: 148-176 (78.7 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Bulky Salamence? Pfft.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Blaziken @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 44 HP / 212 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Team
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Reversal / High Jump Kick / Protect

This set needs to be paired with a lead like Glare Serperior / Eject Button Klefki / T wave + Taunt Thundurus etc that sacrifices itself to get this Blaziken on the field facing a crippled foe, so that you can fish for a free Substitute and then start D O U B L E T E A M I N G ... then pass to a teammate when appropriate.

I chose this super edgy dark Blaziken sprite from the internet because it represents the evil necessary for running such a set

Submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions. A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on the 10/13 at 9:00pm EST (GMT-4), where the next subject will also be announced
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory
Sorry Fire Fist Ace, but your submission isn't valid.

I'm glad I'm here first!

Blaziken @ Electrium Z
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Love this set so much. While not having protect can really suck a lot of the time, your Blaziken "counters" are really limited with this set. SD on the switch to a fat water like prim / fini / suicune / rotom-w / THA PEX, bop them with the z thunder punch. Not having to play mindgames vs Gyarados is also really nice. While you miss out on a lot by not having protect, you gain the ability to eliminate the typical blaziken answers
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Work Up
- High Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat / Fire Blast

Often Mixed Blaziken sets rely on protect to gain their speed when they have no Focus Sash, but when having this item they often lack the damage output. This is a simple way to get both. You setup Work Up while your speed raises without worrying that much.
At +1 HP Ice OHKOs SpDef MMence and Fire Blast KOs Aegislash. Overheat is for power or if you need to straightly ohko aegislash at +0.
Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge / Protect

The point of this set is to bring Blaziken in on something it commonly threatens, like most Steel-types, and Bulk Up as it switches out. High Jump Kick and Flare Blitz are Mega Blaziken's most powerful physical STAB moves and Stone Edge is for Flying-types and Fire-types, but Protect can be run to get a boost in Speed.

Defensive
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 4+ Def Mega Blaziken: 110-132 (58.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. +2 252 HP / 4+ Def Mega Blaziken: 111-132 (59.3 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 4+ Def Mega Blaziken: 158-188 (84.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Offensive
+2 0 Atk Mega Blaziken Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 180-214 (105.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0 Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 166-196 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 0 Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 128-152 (68.4 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
WEKPOLBLAZ (Blaziken) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- Endure
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Baton Pass / Overheat

This set is god-tier. It really is. Granted, the first turn out can be a bit dicey, but once you get that Speed boost, you're set. Endure + Weakness Policy is a thing that I'm surprised hasn't taken the metagame by storm, and Blaziken is a perfect exemplar. 212 Spe is to hit an excellent speed tier to outrun folks like Gyarados, Modamant Pheromosa, Scarf Washtom, and other such fast hitters. The 44 HP is for acquiring that sweet 161 stat, so you can make precisely 4 substitutes. The rest is fairly self-explanatory. If you felt so inclined, you could put some of those Atk EVs into SpA if you're using Overheat instead of Baton Passing, but Reversal does the job pretty well unless you're paranoid of Mega Gengar (for which I wouldn't blame you). However...

+2 4 SpA Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

...you don't really need too many. God, I love this set.
Blaziken @ Rockuim Z
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

While this set isn't as great as Z-Thunder Punch, Continental Crush gets rid of Salamence and Chandelure while still hitting water types pretty hard.
Blaziken @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Protect / Hidden Power [Ice]

252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 170-202 (96.5 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 202-238 (128.6 - 151.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 188-222 (101.6 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 224-264 (104.1 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Max Sp.Def:

252+ SpA Blaziken Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 188-222 (87.4 - 103.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (Stealth Rock turns 18.8% into 62.5%)

Tapu Fini, Rotom, Primarina, and Hippowdon. Grassium Z opens a way for Blaziken to lure and remove them in one hit, without giving them a second chance or whatsoever.

--

If you want some meme on Salamence (which will be temped to switch in especially once you reveal that your Blaziken is Special Attacker), get HP Ice and do this:

252+ SpA Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 140 HP / 8 SpD Salamence-Mega: 148-176 (78.7 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Bulky Salamence? Pfft.
Blaziken @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 44 HP / 212 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Team
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Reversal / High Jump Kick / Protect

This set needs to be paired with a lead like Glare Serperior / Eject Button Klefki / T wave + Taunt Thundurus etc that sacrifices itself to get this Blaziken on the field facing a crippled foe, so that you can fish for a free Substitute and then start D O U B L E T E A M I N G ... then pass to a teammate when appropriate.

I chose this super edgy dark Blaziken sprite from the internet because it represents the evil necessary for running such a set

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
TFA's Rockium Z Blaziken.

This was a toss up between the Grassium and Rockium sets. It seems like most players are tending towards using Mega Mence to stop Blaze, so being able to SD up on a switch, OHKOing Mence, and proceeding to punch through the rest of a team seems pretty dope. While the Grassium set is neat, and usually quite unexpected, I hate having to rely on something like Focus Miss for my fighting STAB, so my vote goes to Rockium.

Solerme's Mixed Sash. While I must say that all of these options are pretty cool, SoLerme expanded on the idea of mixed Blaziken, a concept I really like to begin with, and probably made it better, which is really what mixed blaz needs to compete with mega Blaziken.

This week has lots of good options, but I'm going to vote for dogknees's Electrium Z.

I like how it can destroy some of Blaze's most common counters and is in general pretty good at steamrolling teams. Plus I can't bring myself to vote for a set with Double Team, since no one should be that cruel to humankind (sorry cant say).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although the Z moves (bar Fire) have low usage on the ladder, they've been fairly prominent in tours here and I'd consider them to be standard on Blaziken. I mean, Blaziken is known for its Mega and myriad of viable Z moves, so I don't feel comfortable voting for my favourite Z move here. As for actually creative / new sets we have Solerme's Sash + Work Up set (something I had never even considered), and Ullar's Endure+Reversal set. I think a combination of Sash + Work Up + Reversal (+ Baton Pass) would be an absolutely heat set, but in lieu of that, I'm going with Solerme. I love Ullar's set (I'm pretty sure I gave him the idea lol), but it's harder to pull off successfully than simply using Sash. I need to be clear though that I'm voting for it because of Work Up, which is the creative part of the set, since Sash is relatively common as an item on Blaze...

Congratulations to cant say for winning this week's Next Best Thing! Your submission will be logged in the Archive!
This week we have cant say's spirit mon: Aegislash! Aegislash puts in good work in the metagame thanks to its stellar ability that lets it have both offensive and defensive stats. So, with all that in mind, what is The Next Best Thing (TM) for Aegislash?

You have until Tuesday (10/17) at 9:00 p.m. EST (GMT-4) to post your submissions. Best of luck to everyone!

edited LOL.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 60 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon / Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Head Smash

The Dragon slayer. Set Autotomize and beat Charizard X, Y and Mega Mence. The speed is to outspeed base 130 and Mega Lopunny after a boost.

0- Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 174-205 (113.7 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 463-546 (302.6 - 356.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 239-286 (139.7 - 167.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With SR on the field you'd even ohko mega lopu with Flash Cannon

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
@ Firium Z
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flame Charge
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Taunt

Can switch in on a Ghost attack, is immune to its priority, resisting even the steel STAB. The Speed hits 138 so that at +1 it would outspeed base 130 and Mega Lopunny / Mega Manectric. It has enough SpDef EVs to have 1 point more than its Defense, for Download.
Taunt is for Toxic Aegislash. Survives mixed Aegislash's Sacred Sword

252+ SpA Pyroar Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 204-242 (122.1 - 144.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This isn't victim of the week you idiot

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Aegislash @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide
- Sacred Sword

This might not be the best set for it, but the idea is to tank a move from Volc/Zard and KO back with Rock Slide. Zard X isn't OHKOed, but dies to either Blitz recoil or from Shadow Sneak.

Last edited:
totally didn't forget about this or anything haha

For The Next Best Thing, I would like to nominate Rockium Z Aegislash.

Aegislash @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Head Smash
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak

Head Smash has absurd power, but at the cost of dealing significant recoil damage. This set offers the benefits of Head Smash without its heavy recoil through Rockium Z, giving Aegislash access to a 200 BP Continental Crush. King's Shield weakens physical Fire-types, allowing Aegislash to survive some rather powerful hits and KO with Continental Crush. Sacred Sword bops Dark-, Steel-, and Rock-types most efficiently and Shadow Sneak is for picking off the KOes that Continental Crush misses out on.

-1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Continental Crush (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 148-176 (86.5 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 24-28 (14 - 16.3%) -- possible 7HKO

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Continental Crush (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 167-197 (107.7 - 127%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 102-122 (77.8 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Continental Crush (200 BP) vs. 172 HP / 116 Def Mega Charizard X: 228-270 (130.2 - 154.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Continental Crush (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 139-164 (77.2 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)