The one Pokemon you'd never expect in OU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can read my username, you should know who I am talking about, but for those who cannot see it, its Flareon.

(note: none of these require any specific ability, but if you want to know I tested these with Flash Fire)

Flareon is an odd pick for OU, as he has pretty garbage stats, and a limited moveset, but that doesn't stop him from pulling THIS:
Set Name: Lawn Mower
Move 1: Flare Blitz
Move 2: Sunny Day
Move 3: Superpower
Move 4: Double Edge/Return
Item: Firium Z/Flame Plate

now there are many ways of approaching this set, so bear with me here:
First Idea: Sunny Day, Firium Z (Flare Blitz), Flare Blitz to death:
Now I actually used this on some water and ground types, and somehow I have even taken down a Landorus with a Firium Z (which can be used to take down most of the resistant ones) so if that isn't saying something about that Idea then I don't know what will
Second Idea: Firium Z (Sunny Day) Flare Blitz to death:
Incase you haven't realized, Flareon is meant for going down, so why not make him super fast AND in the sun, so that you can make sure you take your foes with you. to let you know something, Firium Z Sunny Day gives off a 1.5 speed boost, and with the sun, Flare Blitz gets a 1.5 boost, and with stab, it gets another 1.5 boost, all of this adding to a 120 base power move (even though recoil exist)
Third Idea: Return (Or Double Edge)/Superpower
This is a last resort thing, never do this idea if you have the choice, because Superpower eliminates your Stats, Return won't do enough damage, because Flareon has not the greatest Defense in the world, making it hard to survive if you don't kill, and Double Edge lacks the buffs that Sunny Day and stab gives, PLUS it has recoil, so it might be actually worse then Return on this Recoil-Based Pokemon. but Superpower can take down a Greninja maybe, but I had better luck with Flare Blitz then Superpower.
Fourth Idea: Flame Plate Flare Blitz to death:
More damage, faster death.

BUT YOU THINK I'M DONE, DON'T YOU!?
I have at least 2 more sets in store, and I will show them to you now!
Set Name: Long-Lasting Spray
Move 1: Wish
Move 2: Protect/Detect
Move 3: Flare Blitz
Move 4: Sunny Day
Item: Sitrus Berry
Alt: Replace Wish with Rest and Sitrus Berry with Lum Berry/Chesto Berry

Its most of the same thing, just without the Firium Z step, so I won't go over more then one idea, that being the long lasting version of the Flame Plate:
Once you get rid of your Sitrus Berry, every other turn set up a Wish, forgetting Sunny Day entirely, and using either Flare Blitz or, and this is if you feel like you will fall/be baited this turn, protect, a longer lasting Flareon, hence the "Long-Lasting Spray" reference.

And another one I guess, but mind you, this one has not been tested, but in theory it should work fine. you'll understand:
Set Name: Baton Pass Method
Move 2: Wish
Move 3: Protect/Detect/Baton Pass
Move 4: Will-o-wisp
Item: Firium Z/Flame Plate

this one is a mix of both the previous ones, and I mean it COULD work without the Baton Pass, but it wouldn't last as long.
but before we can get to the Ideas, we must get into the setup leading to this:
You must have at the least boosted the Defense by 2, Vespiquen's Defend Order should work.

now for some of the Ideas:
all previous ideas excluding the final idea for the first set should work.

First Idea: So you know how Will-o-wisp gives an attack buff when mixed with the Firium-Z? well if you didn't, you do now, well anyway you now have the defense to set something like a Will-o-wisp up, so you can lower the opponents attack AND get yourself a boost

Second Idea: This idea is basically a more setup based version of the previous one, which is to set up a Z-Will-o-wisp, then use Sunny Day, then use Wish, then Flare Blitz. This Idea takes advantage of almost everything this set has, so it drains a lot of PP, and if you want to sweep, you will have to make sure you aren't fighting some tank or else you will run out of PP, and you can't switch into using a Leppa Berry, since you need the Firium-Z for offense, but that doesn't really hurt this Idea to much, since if you really want to fight someone with a tank on their team, you wouldn't use this idea on the fight anyway, or at least against the tank.

(if you want out at any time you can replace Protect with Baton Pass)

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!
(This set is built for doubles)
Set Name: Prepare for trouble, and make it double
Move 2: Wish
Move 3: Skull Bash
Move 4: Work Up
Item: Lum Berry/Persim Berry

Ally: Chansey
Ally Move 1: Swagger
Ally Move 2: Sunny Day
Ally Move 3: Bestow
Ally Move 4: Soft-Boiled
Item: Flame Plate

This has one goal, one idea, nothing else will work:
Have Flareon charge up a Skull Bash and have Chansey use Swagger on Flareon and the Lum Berry/Persim berry is used (this is important) and after Skull Bash is used have Flareon set up a Wish and Chansey will be forced to use Bestow on Flareon and then after THAT turn is over you have Flareon use Work Up and Chansey should use Sunny Day on the sky and once THAT turn is over Flareon should use Flare Blitz for the rest of the battle and Chansey can do anything except Bestow. If Flareon falls you should either switch or use Toxic, then spam soft-boiled. if Chansey falls then switch or Perish. you should probably build the team around if this fails

While Flareon shouldn't be way up in OU, I feel like it can help any OU team at least a tiny bit, its assured to at least take down 1 of your opponents, and at most an entire team, I am almost entirely sure some mid level OU water types can fall to even a Sunny Day Flare Blitz, and that says something at the least, right?

Flareon at least deserves better then Unfezant and Chatot, right?

Last edited:
A mon need be ranked in Viability Ranked ti get its own analyses, Flareon isn't ranked, and if you want it ranked, you need provide strong evidence about the mon and how fares in the metagame via replays.
Colonel M

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
The goal of the post has been completed
I wasn't being serious btw, as you can tell from reading Mustang's and GMars' posts you can only reserve analyses for pokemon currently ranked in the SM OU VR. Flareon is not ranked so it won't be getting an analysis, if you wish to make a case for it being ranked post there with proper reasoning and replays.

Currently doing so.
(I have like one currently)
and incase you wish to know:
Flareon isn't meant to last all game, so only stick around for the beginning, where Flareon is there

I wasn't being serious btw, as you can tell from reading Mustang's and GMars' posts you can only reserve analyses for pokemon currently ranked in the SM OU VR. Flareon is not ranked so it won't be getting an analysis, if you wish to make a case for it being ranked post there with proper reasoning and replays.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-739237959
Replay 1: Sunny Day Speed Boost
one of the weaker plans, to be honest, but it's not like it cannot win

Replay 2: I didn't do the job of taking down one of the heavier tanks, but I survived a mega's earthquake, and had I used Z-Sunny Day might have taken it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)