Challenge The Orange League 2.0 ROUND 1 (Deadline 12/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
so how about this for my first public thread ever, eh?

*art by Kadew*
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to The Orange League 2.0, The Orange Islands' premier (read: only) competition! Here, the best in-game players will compete to show off their best speed runs and mini-game skills. For those of you who participated in The Orange League of the past, or in Stellar's X and Y giveaway contest, this should be familiar territory. However, there are some new and exciting changes, so read on!

SCORING:

The top 5 finishers will all be awarded points to The Orange League leader board. The scoring will be as follows, from 1st to 5th: 10/7/4/2/1. Additionally, Stellar has offered to give the first place winner of each week a cool orange banner that looks something like this:

(badges not included)

The winner will keep this banner until the end of the subsequent round, at which point it will be handed over to the winner of that round.

THE CHALLENGE:

So! For our very first challenge, you'll be playing in Pokemon: Blue Version! Your goal will be to get as much money as possible within the first hour of game play. Whoever manages to collect the most money, (through trainer battles, item sales, etc) by the time the in-game clock reaches 1 hour will be the winner!

Make sure you keep a close eye on that clock, because if your time goes over 1 hour, it won't count! (slightly below an hour is okay, though)

SUBMITTING:

To submit your score, take a picture of your trainer card, which conveniently includes your name, time, and money. It should look something like this picture that I stole from Stellar's contest:

To help prevent cheating, please give your character the name of your Smogon account, or a shortened version if it doesn't fit.

Pictures taken by either camera or computer screenshot, (wink wink) are acceptable. Send this screenshot to Hulavuta in a private message. Do NOT post it publicly in this thread, unless you are very cocky and want to show off. (But seriously, PM them) Multiple submissions are allowed, so feel free to send in as many tries as you want before the deadline! (Try to keep them all within the same PM conversation)

Click here to submit: http://www.smogon.com/forums/conversations/add?to=Hulavuta

IN THE EVENT OF A TIE:

Due to the nature of this competition, there probably won't be any ties. However, in the off chance that somehow someone gets a tie, the person who submitted first will win. So make sure you send in your scores as soon as you can! Don't wait!

CHEATING:

This really shouldn't need to be said, but obviously we have absolutely zero tolerance for cheating, and it will probably result in a ban from entering any Orange League competitions in the future. Using stuff like hacks, cheat codes, external devices, save states (which give an unfair advantage to players playing on an emulator), glitch abuse, and other things that are common sense, is explicitly forbidden.

If you cheat, I'll cry!!! Don't do it!!

----------------------------------------

If you have any questions on anything, ask them below! Or I guess if you're too shy to ask in front of everyone, you can PM myself or Jimera0.

#orangeislands, the official IRC channel for Orange Islands, is where you can discuss the Orange League (discuss, not cheat ;>_>) and ask any questions if Jimera or I happen to be on.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS ROUND IS FRIDAY, DECEMBER 20th AT 11:59 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME.

Sign-ups are not really required, but if you are interested in competing, we'd appreciate if you posted!

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fuck Level 51 is going to abuse the Nugget Bridge glitch guys, what are we going to do?

I guess it is time to out Nugget Bridge each other.

That said, I wonder what is better: Abusing Nugget Bridge glitch or not (lol halved money each time you wipe)? Time for us to find out I guess... -.-'

Fuck Level 51 is going to abuse the Nugget Bridge glitch guys, what are we going to do?

I guess it is time to out Nugget Bridge each other.

That said, I wonder what is better: Abusing Nugget Bridge glitch or not (lol halved money each time you wipe)? Time for us to find out I guess... -.-'
I don't think you have to worry- the glitch is only in gen III

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Time to get my speedrun shoes out again I guess :o

Definitely in. 1 Hour? Thats a decent distance into the game... :)

EDIT: Just upgraded this to Sticky Status :D It won't fall down the forum order now, and it's more visible :)

Last edited:
Great this is back ^.^
Unfortunatly not gonna be able to participate this time but good luck to all the participants
And thanks to hula and Jimera for bringing OL back

Ah yes, I was looking forward to getting this up. I always liked the idea of the Orange League, but the old topic just had too much going on at once. It encouraged to play literally 5 different games at once in order to get the best score for your team and it was just too much and favored those with ridiculous amounts of free time too much.

Anyway, I will be competing in this one. That means I don't get to see any of the submissions (Hulavuta will take care of that). Don't worry, I didn't get a head start on the challenge or anything, I just started researching paths for my run now so I'm actually a bit behind some of you :P.

Also I'd just like to say that abusing glitches is against the rules just as much as using a cheating device unless otherwise specified in the challenge. Otherwise I know I know a bunch of bugs that could get me a ridiculously unfair advantage in RB, and that's not the point of the challenge. Similarly, abusing save states isn't tolerated in challenges where that makes a difference. Basically, if it's not an intended feature of the game, you're not allowed to use it. I'll get Hula to update the OP with these specifically so hopefully there won't be any further confusion.

Very sensible to ban glitches as it would have taken no thought or effort to encounter Missingno (one hour isn't enough for the Old Man Glitch but is plenty for Trainer-Fly) and use it to duplicate Nuggets.

Also a great idea to do this on a gen I game - if this had been gen III or later I suspect the winner would have been determined by who managed to abuse Pickup most successfully, which again would have centralised the contest around a single, luck-based mechanic.

By the way, Jimera0 and Hulavuta, if the submission is just in the form of a screenshot of the trainer card and not a whole video, how are you going to eliminate cheaters? Are you going to rely on sheer, undiluted honesty?

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
By the way, Jimera0 and Hulavuta, if the submission is just in the form of a screenshot of the trainer card and not a whole video, how are you going to eliminate cheaters? Are you going to rely on sheer, undiluted honesty?
This competition is for entertainment purposes. We aren't going to hamper the number of entries we get by limiting entrants to only those people who have access to recording software. That would be silly. Hopefully, no one sees a temporary banner as incentive enough to warrant cheating.

Stellar and Layell both have the right of it. Don't cheat, all you're doing is taking the fun out of it for everyone else if you do. We can't require people record or anything for obvious reasons so we just have to hope that no one decides to be a total dick. Though we'd be able to figure out some cheating if it's not carried out very well. I'm playing this myself so I have a good idea of what a reasonable amount of money would be and if something falls way outside that region we'll know something is up.

But it probably won't come to that, since we haven't had issues with cheaters in these sorts of competitions in the past. This is just for fun after all!

It would be cool if some of the participants (especially ones who did well) shared their approaches. But obviously only after the competition is over.

It would be cool if some of the participants (especially ones who did well) shared their approaches. But obviously only after the competition is over.
That's more or less what the 4 day buffer between competitions is for. Well part of the reason anyway, the other reason is to keep them on a two week schedule since having a competition every 10 days would cause the start and end to end up on different days of the week each time.

But anyway, I know I want to talk about it but I don't want to give anything away. The less people that know the key to this challenge the better I place yah know? :P

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I think the main key to this is just perseverance and a little bit of luck :P

Essentially learning which trainers are the biggest cash cows and beating them as fast as possible whilst avoiding getting into battles with like Bug Catchers (Who give almost nothing). I'm wondering just how far you can get overall, whislt increasing the battles against a speedrun. I managed to beat Surge in 55ish minutes for Stellars Comp... But with the increase in battles to gain money it might not be effective to try and get that far (With Mt Moon/SS Anne etc).

EDIT: OH and being even more critical on what items to pick up to try and boost that cash a little bit more too... Certain items are worth serious sums of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)