THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX: a generation 5 wifi team

THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
a generation 5 wifi team

***​

First of all, I am not a Harry Potter fan. The theme for this team was chosen only because it would look and sound epic. It has no effect on what the team actually is whatsoever. Now, on to the team:

Team building process:

I started this team with Warubiaru in mind. Reuniclus is a common threat, and with Latias and Latios back in OU play I figured a fast Dark-type trapper and attacker would perform very well. Scarfed Tyranitar was the premier Pursuit trapper for a long time, but personally, I never liked sandstorm. Scarfed Warubiaru was advertised to be faster and as strong as a Jolly ScarfTar, and so it was.

Throwing Dark-type attacks around would draw in Roobushin and other fighting-types like a Urgamoth to a Forretress. Cue Gengar, whom I run a certain unique set on in order to best any fighting-type with 2-move coverage. Dark/Ghost also has no resists, if you're willing to disregard Gengar and Warubiaru's less-than-okay defenses, although Intimidate helps a lot.

Warubiaru is immune to Electric, and one can imagine luring a Starmie/Jolteon into a Thunderbolt and BAMF! Crunch or Earthquake for the unexpected kill. Nobody outside of the Warubiaru thread expects a Scarf Warubiaru. So who can lure Electric attacks better than Yao Ming in an open field during a thunderstorm? Gyarados, that's who. Warubiaru can even take Rock attacks in addition to Electric attacks for Gyarados, and double Intimidate would provide a certain degree of physical protection for my team. Gyarados is a boosting sweeper, making him one part of an offensive core that's meant to actively secure a win condition and as such, requires support.

I have 2 Ground immunities, which means I can allow myself 2 Ground-weaks. Drought is a deadly playstyle, Nattorei troubles Gyarados and Excadrills aren't going to check themselves, so what better pokemon to equip on the team than a balloon'd Fire-type? Hey, I lack a steel type--NO PROBLEM BRO here's a Heatran take it.

A balloon'd Heatran is rarely enough to counter a sand team, and I'd been hearing great things about Virizion in that respect. It also does well against rain teams, in addition to weakening Nattorei and scaring out bulky waters to enable Gyarados to sweep. It's another boosting sweeper, making for a decent offensive core.

Lastly, a screw-upper pokemon: one that supports the team, pisses off the opponent, has some use as a last-resort, or all of the above. So I picked Jirachi for its sheer versatility. Jirachi is weak to Ground, but WHO CARES when you have ONE RESIST, TWO IMMUNITIES and ONE BALLOON HEATRAN? It can also set up Stealth Rock better than Heatran, and act as a panic button just in case (see Iron Head and TrickScarf).

However, after extensive testing I felt that despite being generally useful, opponents would use Team Preview and put Urgamoth in the lead spot in order to scare out Jirachi. I needed a second Steel-type, and decided that Heatran could set up Stealth Rocks after all and TrickScarf, although great to cause forfeits, wasn't pulling its weight as Jirachi needed the Scarf. So this slot changed to "general Steel-type glue". Remind you of anything red and badass?

An in-depth analysis

Dumbledore (Heatran) (M) @ Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power [Ice]
~ Stealth Rock

The advent of Team Preview made dedicated leads less useful, and Heatran is by no means my "lead". This is because I prefer to keep my Balloon as intact as possible for use later, especially when I see Excadrill, Landlos, Garchomp or other similiar pokemon in the opponent's team.

The EVs and Nature are a little strange, but they work well. Modest Heatran with Fire Blast is a true monster, 2HKOing less-than-bulky pokemon up to Blaziken under Sun or Flash Fire. Since Heatran isn't going to be outspeeding anything significant with a Modest Nature, I opted for max HP instead. I now survive a lot more than I thought I would, like +2 Landlos Stone Edge under sand. Earth Power is for general coverage, and Hidden Power Ice is chosen over Dragon Pulse because I'd rather be killing Dragons than hitting Water-types neutrally. Stealth Rock is well, Stealth Rock, and goes rather well with Scizor, as you will see.

Balloon gives it a pseudo-immunity to Ground, and thus lets it dispatch Excadrill with Fire Blast or Earth Power, and take on Landlos and Garchomp to some degree, which is really important.

Synergy:
attacks go to Virizion and Gyarados.
attacks go to Gengar and Gyarados.
attacks go to Gengar, Virizion and Gyarados.

Sirius (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band

Trait: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 144 Atk / 164 SDef / 8 Spd
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

~ Bullet Punch
~ U-turn
~ Quick Attack
~ Superpower

Scizor is a reliable pokemon and, somehow or other, most of the time is the one I send out first. U-turn is a guranteed OHKO on Rankurusu, and Bullet Punch deals with Terakion, Virizion and anything that's weak or weakened enough to die to it. Quick Attack is a great surprise move here, as it can finish off Kingdra in rain, non-Taunt Gyarados, Denchura, and especially Urgamoth with Stealth Rock damage: doing at least 52.4% and 2HKOing non-bulky variants (who lose to Heatran and Gyarados) ballsy enough to set up in my face. Normally I switch out though.

Brick Break is reliable, but is Superpower worth it? I can't really decide here.

EDIT: Chose Superpower, but haven't really got a chance to use it. I think the new EV spread helps a ton though; it's a derivative of the Uber CB set with equal defenses. The extra bulk is really noticeable, as previously I was 2HKOed by Latios Specs Draco Meteor...ouch.

Synergy:
attacks go to Heatran and Gyarados.

Mad-Eye (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
~ Substitute
~ Disable
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast

This Gengar is my baby. SubDisable Gengar, abusing the new upgrade that Disable got in Gen V boosting it to 100% accuracy. Full explanation in the tag below.
Now, I'm not entirely sure this classifies as NEW and totally unheard of, but it's certainly not common: that's right, it's SubDisable Gengar!

Gengar @Leftovers
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
~ Substitute/Protect
~ Disable
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Fighting)

See, you bring this in against stuff you know have only one attack that can hit you and are slower than you, and use Substitute or Protect as they try to hit you. Substitute is recommended for things which you know can set up and kill you, like Roobushin (because when you Protect as he Bulk Ups you will not be able to survive the Payback or Stone Edge), but under sandstorm and hail Protect is better as it means you don't die as fast. Choice-locked attackers (slower than you of course) are also completely shat on.

Now, you're thinking: "Roobushin Schroobushin, this is highly situational! Why would I ever use it?" Well, here's a list of things that can't touch Gengar after the right move is Disabled:

~Dageki (sometimes, but Stone Edge and Payback on the same set is uncommon)
~Rankurusu (Not Trick Room, or 3 attacks+Recover.)
~Roobushin (Mach Punch/Drain Punch/coverage is the norm as far as I have seen)
~Machamp (Sleep Talk only)
~CroCune (but Shadow Ball/Focus Blast ain't going to be doing much)
~Togekiss (see above)
~Bulk Up Zuruzukin (unless it's that weird set above)
~Ambipom (non-Beat Up variants)
~Scrappy Miltank (can't break a sub with Brick Break)
~Snorlax (Disable Fire Punch or Crunch and you're good to go. If it has Crunch along with that then it's probably Choice Banded)
~Double Dance Terakion (oh god don't let it Rock Polish)
~Anything which uses only Fighting/something, Ground/something, or Normal/something for coverage. You'd be surprised how common those turn up.

Either way, this is a very fun pokemon to use and provides a solid answer to pokemon that switch into Warubiaru's Crunches and locked Pursuits. It's also awesome, hence the shared name with everyone's favorite invalid, Alastor Moody.

Synergy:
attacks go to Scizor, Heatran and Warubiaru.
attacks go to Scizor, Heatran, Virizion and Warubiaru.

McGonagall (Gyarados) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 Spd
156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe

~ Dragon Dance
~ Taunt
~ Waterfall
~ Bounce

Gyarados is part one of the main force behind the team. I use the standard DD TauntGyara from the Smogon page, and it has been working GREAT this generation. Intimidate is a generally awesome ability that helps Virizion a lot on the physical side, and a -1 Doryuuzu will actually 3HKO with Rock Slide. Waterfall is a OHKO of course. Taunt helps with beating bulky waters, but those with Protect can suck. Bounce is great for killing Roobushin: Taunt on the Bulk Up and Dragon Dance while they don't kill, and Bounce for the kill. The extra leftovers recovery from Bounce is also greatly appreciated, as is the paralysis support and possible hax.

Gyarados is also one reason why I don't use Tyranitar: sandstorm will severely debilitate Gyarados's setup abilities.

Synergy:
attacks go to Virizion and Warubiaru.
attacks go to Virizion and Warubiaru.

Lupin (Birijion) @ Leftovers

Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
~ Calm Mind
~ Giga Drain
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power (Ice)
~Taunt

Virizion is the other half of the main force, setting up on the Vaporeons and Rotom-Ws that scare Gyarados out. With its great special defence, it can take Ice Beams from the likes of Politoed and Vaporeon all day, even more so after a few Calm Minds. Giga Drain is for recovery much like Drain Punch on Roobushin, and Taunt was used over Hidden Power Ice because I decided that random Toxics from smart players who know Vaporeon can survive an unboosted Giga Drain were infinitely worse than Dragons. Focus Blast is for STAB, with its almost endearing 70% accuracy. I swear, if those Nattorei misses keep up I'm going to switch to Hidden Power Fighting...

Defensively, Virizion provides a solid counter to Excadrill with the given defensive EVs, and can outspeed Garchomp with that speed. Despite that, it still falls to many physical attacks including Scizor's Bullet Punch/U-turn. They don't kill outright, but take a more-than comfortable number of health away. A couple of strong neutral physical attacks can render Virizon completely unable to even set up. Virizion is a primarily special beast, so I wouldn't stay in on those kinds of pokemon.

EDIT: Changed the EVs as it's not going to have anything to do outspeeding Garchomp, so I might as well drop a speed tier and outspeed Jirachi before it can paralyse me or anything.

EDIT2: Will change to 252 HP / 252 Spd when I have the time. A little busy at the moment.

EDIT3: Changed EVs to 252 SAtk / 252 Spd, as well as replacing Taunt with HP Ice. The shift from bulky to offensive has helped to regain a lot of momentum against semistall team, but I lose a little to stall. Meh.

Synergy:
attacks go to Heatran and Gyarados.
attacks go to Scizor and Heatran.
attacks go to Heatran.
attacks go to Scizor, Heatran, Gengar and Warubiaru.

Tonks (Warubiaru) (F) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 162 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~ Earthquake
~ Pursuit
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch

The last member of the team. Warubiaru plays a similiar role to ScarfTar, trapping and killing anything weak to Dark or Ground. Stone Edge is a great move to nail Togekiss (which I admittedly have problems with) and Salamence. Earthquake and Crunch for general STAB, and Pursuit for obvious reasons.

I feel it is necessary to talk a bit about the Choice Scarf. Warubiaru has a base speed of 92, which really sucks compared to Scarf Flygon's 100 and Scarf Starmie's 115. However, this guy isn't meant to be a revenge killer for DDMence, BD Urgamoth and the likes after a boost; rather, it's meant to be a really fast thing that kills slower things. 92 speed scarfed isn't top tier in scarf standards, but compared to the 301-394 crowd it's great enough.

Why not Tyranitar? Someone in the Warubiaru thread once mentioned something about its comparison to ScarfTar: with Adamant and 252 Atk / 252 Spe, Warubiaru has nearly the same attack as Tyranitar, and considerably more speed letting it outrun the positive base 130s. Tyranitar can only outrun positive base 115s.

Although Warubiaru has a lot less special bulk compared to Tyranitar, it has access to Intimidate which can make it quite a bit of a team player. In the end-game, Gyarados and Warubiaru can easily switch in and out and weaken the last few pokemon with Intimidate, making it a very fine ability indeed. I started with Moxie, but then found that the opponent will always bring in a counter to Warubiaru after it nets a kill (A BRILLIANT REVELATION), forcing me to switch and lose the boosts. In other words, Moxie sucks. Intimidate rocks.

EDIT: Using the new spread from Judas DN and so far I can't see any difference. I'll stick with it for now, thanks!

Synergy:
attacks go to Gengar and Gyarados.
attacks go to Scizor, Heatran, Gengar and Gyarados.
attacks go to Gyarados and Virizion.
attacks go to Scizor, Heatran, Gengar and Virizion.
attacks go to Scizor and Heatran.

EDIT2: Heist suggested a Scarf Garchomp over this, will test when I have the time. Sounds like an okay fit, I guess.

EDIT3: Scarfchomp can't pursuit trap, and Warubiaru (now Krookdile) has that ZING factor when you Crunch an unsuspecting Starmie.

Threat list:
Stolen from Iconic
Deadly pokes in blue
Problem pokes in a slightly lighter blue
The rest are in black.

Arcanine - Gyarados Intimidates it and lures it into Wild Bolt, I then switch to Warubiaru for another attack drop and the kill. WOO HOO.

Virizion - Bounce Gyarados can take care of non-Stone Edge variants, and others are dealt with by Scizor. Gengar can to the ole' SubDisable thing, but can't touch Virizion's special defence. Not so much of a problem really.

Blaziken - Deadly if it gets a Swords Dance, but Gyarados can handle non-Thunderpunch variants well. Scizor can Quick Attack, but it's not a KO. If it carries something other than Fire/Fighting Virizion can also attempt to tank after Gyarados Intimidates it. Problem poke for sure.

Blissey - It can only threaten Gengar and Heatran. Warubiaru can't really kill it, but it can finish it off easily. Virizion Taunts and sets up in its face. And if all fails, Scizor and Gyarados. No problem here.

Voltlos - Scizor's Quick Attack can do a number, and Heatran can tank a hit and attempt to KO with Fire Blast or HP Ice. Despite the fact that Virizion and Gyarados are very threatened by it unless both have a couple of boosts up,Warubiaru can switch in on Electric attacks and use Stone Edge. Not a big problem.

Breloom - Oh...oh god. This thing is problematic as I have to sack one poke to sleep in order to kill it with either Gengar and SubDisable or Gyarados and Bounce. Scizor can also deal with it nicely. The thing here is not dealing with it, it's what do I have to lose before dealing with it.

Bronzong - Not a problem at all. Do people even use this anymore?

Burungeru - Gyarados can set up on it unless it has Boiling Water. Warubiaru and Gengar have SE attacks on it. Virizion can Taunt to avoid Toxic and doesn't really mind the burn. Only Scizor and Heatran are bothered by it.

Darkrai - IS BANNED OH GOD YES

Deoxys - Scizor's Bullet Punch, Warubiaru's Pursuit, Gengar from behind a sub: all can kill it. The thing is that I might lose some pokemon in the process due to those STATS... problematic.

Deoxys-A - Is full of shit.

Deoxys-D - Scizor and Gengar have power super-effective moves on it, and Virizion and Gyarados can Taunt. Not a problem at all.

Deoxys-S - You can't stop it from setting up hazards, ever. I usually just ride it out with Scizor and Warubiaru. Definitely a threat though since it can always do its job.

Excadrill - Virizion tanks +2 X-scissor for around 80%, and KOs with Focus Blast. Heatran can take anything because of the balloon and KO with Fire Blast. If it's the last pokemon and I have Gyarados and/or Warubiaru along with something else to switch to, I spam Intimidate until Gyarados can Waterfall safely. Still a problem if the opponent can manage to take away those two; the rest of my team doesn't stand a chance.

Erufuun - Leech Seed is annoying, and Encore stops Virizion from setting up. I have to get rid of it with Scizor and Heatran before letting Gyarados and Virizion setup. Still a problem since it can even screw up those two counters before dying.

Espeon - I don't rely on hazards much, but Heatran's Fire Blast is powerful. Scizor, Gengar, Gyarados and Warubiaru can walk all over it and eat its forked tail for breakfast. Not a problem at all.

Forretress - Lead with Heatran, break Sturdy with HP Ice and Fire Blast for KO. I don't mind hazards too much anyways.

Garchomp - A legitimate threat. SD sets can be revenged by a combination of Scizor, Gengar, Virizion and Warubiaru, but can deal a lot of damage in the process. Intimidate can help a little, and Scarf sets will have to be played around. Despite all that, it still can wreck a bit of havoc on the team.

Gliscor - It threatens Warubiaru, Virizion and Scizor, but Heatran, Gengar and Gyarados can do their thing. Gengar especially can SubDisable its Acrobat. Not a problem.

Gyarados - Warubiaru can revenge kill, and Scizor's Quick Attack does a number. Intimidate helps the most in my opinion as Scizor can then survive whatever Gyarados throws out and use Quick Attack.

Heatran - Heatran can be dealt with by my Heatran if it lacks Balloon, otherwise Gyarados and Gengar will have to do. Warubiaru can revenge Nitro Charge ones if necessary.

Hihidaruma - Heatran can take a Flare Blitz and Gyarados with Intimidate can switch in and set up. If it isn't scarfed Warubiaru can take it easily.

Hippowdon - Damn. This thing is really hard to kill. Heatran can Fire Blast while the Balloon is intact and Virizion can set up on it, but Hippowdon is usually seen with Excadrill and both share the same counters. Gyarados can set up on it if it lacks Stone Edge but sandstorm does a number.

Infernape - See Arcanine or Blaziken. Not very common now.

Jirachi - U-turn from Scizor can do a number, and Warubiaru outspeeds and kills non-scarfed variants. Non-scarfed ones are also handled to an extent by Gengar and Heatran. Scarfed ones will just have to be played around.

Jolteon - Warubiaru, always. If it's not Charge Beam or Specs Virizion can set up in its face. Lastly there's Scizor's Quick Attack.

Kabutops - Really scary. The only solution is Virizion, who can't be taking Waterfalls all day, and Intimidate, to which both my users are hit super-effectively by Kabutops's STABS. Scizor's Bullet Punch isn't even a OHKO. Definitely a problem.

Kingdra - Drizzle seriously sucks. I can only hope to tank physical hits with Gyarados and special hits with Virizion, and revenge if possible with Scizor's Quick Attack, but then you can never tell with Kingdras. One misplay and BAMF! Kabutops/Ludicolo is now free to sweep your team.

Kojondo - Scizor's Bullet Punch can 2HKO, and I can switch to Gengar on the HJK. Warubiaru can revenge also, so I'd say this is thoroughly beaten.

Kyuremu - Iconic said it: "Scizor is a great switch-in to most sets since they're usually Choiced. If I suspect otherwise or if I see Life Orb, then I try and lure the STAB attack onto Scizor (hopefully Draco Meteor) and then play around with Fire-resists." Heatran can also tank and kill with MODEST FIRE BLAST.

Latias - Between Warubiaru and Scizor I have this thing covered. If I see HP Fire it might be problematic, but Warubiaru can always save the day.

Latios - See above. These are the ones with HP Fire more often though.

Lucario - Gyarados is a textbook counter to SD ones, and Gengar is a solid counter to SD and NP ones. Beaten.

Ludicolo - Surprisingly easy with Gyarados and Virizion, unless it's Kingdra which does the wallbreaking first. In which case, shit's going down. Otherwise, I'm pretty safe here.

Machamp - A trouble as always, but Gyarados can always help with Intimidate and Scizor/Gengar can land a powerful hit. The thing is that Gengar dies to Payback and Scizor dies to confusion. A problem, I think.

Magnezone - Not a problem. If it traps Scizor I lose, but then it has absolutely nothing Warubiaru and Virizion, and it sure as hell ain't trapping Heatran. Gengar can Focus Blast too.

Metagross - Scizor can tank, Gengar can attack and possibly do the SubDisable thing, Gyarados and Heatran can wall it, and Warubiaru can kill it back.

Nattorei - It depends. If it's physically defensive I go for Virizion amd Gengar, and if it's specially defensive I might go for Gyarados or Scizor. Heatran can kill it. Only one which has trouble is Warubiaru.

Ninetales - Gyarados can Taunt and set up in its face. Warubiaru can outspeed, while Heatran can also wall. If all else fails, Scizor can Quick Attack.

Octillery - Doesn't exist anymore.

Ononokusu - Hits like a monster truck, but falls like a tricycle especially to Scizor and Warubiaru's faster attacks. Heatran can come in on Earthquake when I'm absolutely certain that they lack Brick Break, and HP Ice for the KO. Scarf versions are a little harder, but I can play around them and Intimidate. Not a real problem, but has certain potential to crap all over my team.

Politoed - Virizion can set up on it barring an Ice Beam FREEZE and if it's choiced then Gyarados and Scizor both work. Not too much of a problem but rain sucks balls, hence the blue.

Porygon2 - These might be a problem. Scizor can do a number on it, and Gengar can hurt it with Focus Blast, but it depends on the set really. Trace is really bad for my team as Heatran and my Intimidators fall to it. Quite a tough one to kill. Previously Tricking a scarf was the best way, but now...

Randorusu - A combination of Intimidate, Scizor, Heatran and Gengar to finish it off. There's no hard counter here, hence the problem poke.

Rankurusu - Not a problem at all with Scizor and Warubiaru, along with Gengar to kill it off.

Roobushin - Very easy to beat with SubDisable Gengar and Gyarados. Mainly SubDisable Gengar because it's so fun to use.

Rotom-W - Virizion can eat it alive and burn its children in the splattered remains of its parents, but that's as far as it goes when it comes to solid counters. Might be a problem.

Salamence - Not that hard with Scizor and Warubiaru to finish it off, and if it gets a boost lure an EQ and KO with Heatran.

Sazandora - If it's Life Orb, I tank it out and finish it off with Gengar. If it's scarfed, Scizor and Virizion work like a charm. If it's spec'd, even better as it combines the counters of the above two.

Scizor - Gyarados, and nothing else.

Shandera - I rarely see it, but when I do it's to Heatran or Gyarados I go for Fire attacks and Warubiaru for Ghost attacks. Gengar can kill non-scarfed ones.

Shaymin-S - can go suck on Haunter for all I care.

Skarmory - Gyarados can beat it with Taunt, but under sandstorm even Brave Bird will take its toll. Heatran is usually enough to scare it out. If Heatran is gone and Sandstorm is up I might not even be able to defeat it at all. Quite a problem in the right circumstances.

Starmie - Virizion can tank hits, Warubiaru can revenge, while Scizor can Quick Attack to finish off the weak ones. Not a problem at all.

Tentacruel - Virizion hates Toxic Spikes, and Warubiaru most likely can't switch in anyway, while Gyarados hates Boil Over. Usually I just rely on Tentacruel's lack of recovery and hope for the best. A real threat.

Terakion - Scizor can beat all of them. Gengar can outspeed non-boosted ones and do the SubDisable routine. Warubiaru can also outspeed non-boosted ones. Not a problem at all.

Tyranitar - Scizor can beat all of them with Bullet Punch, but can't switch into Flamethrower. Warubiaru can also beat them with EQ while Virizion can set up a couple times and KO with Giga Drain.

Urugamosu - If Stealth Rock is down, Scizor can use Quick Attack. If not, Gyarados and Heatran can tank hits. Lastly, if it's unboosted, Warubiaru can revenge with Stone Edge.

Vaporeon - If it's not running Protect I can use Gyarados, but if it is I can use Virizion. If it doesn't have Boil Over Scizor can deal huge damage to it pretty easily.

Venusaur - Sleep Powder is threatening but after that Gyarados and Virizion can wall it. Heatran can take it on too. The only reason it is problematic is Sleep Powder really.

Zapdos - Not a problem. Heatran can nail it with a powerful Fire Blast and Virizion can wall it (can't do much in return though). Warubiaru can use Stone Edge, but it's only a KO with Stealth Rock down.

Zoroaak - If it's an obvious one (ROOBUSHIN/GENGAR LEAD OMG) then I can prepare for it. Choiced ones can be played around, and Gengar can outspeed and kill non-scarfed ones. Gyarados can tank a bit, but Night Burst's accuracy drops hurt. Really, when Hippowdon uses Flamethrower you
can prepare for a disillusioning battle.

Zuruzukin - Finally got to the last one, phew. Zuruzukin can be countered by Gengar once I disable Payback, and I can also play around with Taunt and Intimidate. Scizor, as a last resort can use U-turn for a considerable sum of damage.

So that's the team! Thanks to Arkeis.com and Bulbapedia for the images, Heist for the in-depth rate and Iconic (just in case) for putting up an RMT with a good threat list I could copy!

One last look:

Thanks for reading! Rate/hate/steal!

Hi min min

I have to say this is quite a well thought out team however i do believe there is small room from improvement. The rain sweepers you've mentioned as 'problem' pokemon are no longer a threat as the Drizzle+Swift Swim combo has been banned.

Scizor is essentially, like any choice Bander, a pokemon that just hits hard once and than switches out. That is why i'd suggest running Superpower over Brick Break, considering you'll must likely switch out regardless after attacking once. Also note that even after one attack drop Superpower still does slightly more damage than Brick Break.

Why run max speed on Warubiaru? When reading through PO's usage statistics of the Wifi ladder, you'd see that there are barely pokemon left between the positive 115 Speed base pokemon and your Warubiaru's current speed. That's why i suggest to run a 162HP, 252Att, 96Spe EV spread instead. I'm quite certain that with Warubiaru's great natural bulk(95/70/70 combined with intimidate) those HP ev's will prove much more usefull.

That's all i have to say, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to leave me a VM.

Good Luck!

Makes sense, although I might still want to stick with max speed on Warubiaru in order to get the jump on Scarf Lucario/Roserade/PorygonZ. I'll try your spread and see how it goes, thanks!

Also, 95/70/70 is far from great, it's only acceptable when you factor in Intimidate. Which is okay, I guess.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
All three are uncommon, and even fewer are scarfed. Not only that, the only one you can OHKO is the priority-wielding Lucario. If I were you, I'd take the bulky spread.

Okay, I made some changes to the team regarding the Scizor moveset and spread, Virizion's and Warubiaru's EVs. They're working great now, thanks!

Cool team, I got your message. Having witnessed a really good player use Disable Gengar, I can definitely attest to its effectiveness. However, it probably is not needed that much when you have Gyarados and friends to take on fighting-types. I really question Warubairu's placement on this team, as because it quite slow it may not be an adequate revenge killer. It also does not like switching into the Pokemon it is supposed to Pursuit, such as Latios, Latias, Gengar and Starmie. How often do you actually use Pursuit on Warubairu? as I really think a Scarf Garchomp would fit much better there. Garchomp has similar power, better typing [both offensively and defensively], it is more bulky and has a ton more speed, letting it outrun stuff like Ulgamoth and Dragon Dance Salamence after boosts. Garchomp will also patch-up a surprising weakness to opposing Bounce Dragon Dance Gyarados as well.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly | Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Outrage / Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Stone Edge

Regarding the rest of your Pokemon, I think I could suggest a few changes to your EV spreads, which are definitely worth trying out. The defensive investment on Gyarados was to give Gyarados more ability to take on Swords Dance + Quick Attack Scizor better, which is completely unnecessary currently. However, I think you would benefit much more by pumping that all into HP so you can handle the likes of Ulgamoth, Heatran and Birijion [all very common special-attackers]. Birijion is a Pokemon you could struggle against, less so with the addition of Garchomp, and having the extra insurance is nice. Your own Birijion definitely wants max speed to tie with opposing Birijion and Terakion before Rock Polish. It is worth it and is only a small loss in special defense.

Dragon Pulse on Heatran to damage Latios and Latias a lot more, and Roost on Scizor, with obviously Life Orb or Leftovers, are both other options you could try. Roost gives Scizor more survivability when switching in and out of Latios' and friends Draco Meteors.

Thanks a bunch, Heist! I'll certainly try the Garchomp out, but Pursuit has come in handy more often than not at times when I really need Latias/Latios gone. Still, outspeeding +1 Urgamoth looks like it could be good for the team overall as well.

For Virizion, I'm not sure if the 60 EVs in Def help it to tank Excadrill's X-scissors any better than a 252/0 spread, so I'll give the max speed a shot. I haven't had much trouble with Terakion with Scizor anyways.

I run HP Ice on Heatran because I felt Dragon Pulse wasn't doing enough damage to Salamence, Garchomp and Dragonite, which are undoubtedly more threatening to me than Latias and Latios who are easily Pursuit-trapped by Warubiaru. Scizor also needs that Choice Band as it gives me a decent OHSHIT button to revert to just in case.

Lastly, thanks for clearing up that Gyarados thing, I'd always wondered what those weird EVs are for. Max HP would definitely be a lot more important than the current spread.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As a huge fan of the Harry Potter series (both the movies and the books), I felt obliged to rate this team of yours. Before I begin my rate, I'd like to applaud your use of some seriously undermined Pokemon like Disable Gengar and Warubiaru (although, I don't think Warubiaru represents Tonks effectively). However, like Heist has mentioned, Warubiaru's placement on this team as a revenge-killer is questionable, especially since your using it to trap Pokemon like the Lati-twins which Warubiaru has difficulty switching into. All-in-all, I don't really think Warubiaru is living up to its expectations on this particular team. Although I agree with Heist on trying out a Choice Scarf Garchomp (however, I would suggest you try out Fire Blast instead of Dragon Claw / Stone Edge) over Warubiaru as it helps you team considerably with Pokemon like boosted Urugamosu, Salamence and Ononokusu, I think using a Choice Scarf Latios would be a lot better for this team's structure as Latios generally lures in Pokemon like Tyranitar which are no more than set up bait for your Birijion, and your Gyarados (also for you Scizor if you choose to run the set suggested in the next part of this rate).

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid / Modest | Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power Fire
- Psycho Shock / Trick

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Adamant | Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Big Bite / U-Turn
- Brick Break / Roost

Also, I suggest trying out an unusual Scizor set over your current variant: a Swords Dance Scizor holding an Iron Plate; this particular set hopes to bluff a Choice Band for the majority of a battle then reveal Swords Dance at the very end in order to pull off a late-game sweep. Although this seems to be a really unorthodox strategy, I can say from experience that this set does, indeed live up to its expectations due to the surprise factor it holds; also, it will generally help when dealing with Latios as when necessary, Scizor will be able to simply Roost off damage from multiple Draco Meteors. Lastly, I suggest using Hidden power Ice on Birijion as although you have Gliscor covered by Gyarados, the last thing you want is to end a Birijion sweep due to being forced to switch when confronted with an opponent's Gliscor, or something of the sort. I hope this has helped, and good luck!

Suggestions in Short

• Choice Scarf Latios over Warubiaru
  • Iron Plate SD Scizor over Choice Band Scizor
  • Hidden Power Ice on Birijion

Thanks a dozen, Aerrow! Although you might want to note the names are all this team has to do with Harry Potter, sorry. I'll test the suggestions right now, including Garchomp vs. Latios over Warubiaru.

EDIT: I'd rather not change Taunt on Virizion. Getting screwed over by Gliscor and Salamence suck, but not as much as Milotic, who needs me to use a less bulky set to beat it with Giga Drain before I get Toxic'd (which means losing to Excadrill).

EDIT2: The Scizor failed miserably. I need that power from the get-go, and really don't need it to set up. Latios also wasn't good at all, since I need the Ground typing to absorb random Porygon2 Thunders (don't ask) and Thunder Waves. Testing Garchomp.

EDIT3: I miss Intimidate, it was quite useful for endgame scenarios.

EDIT4: Will be using Garchomp. But might switch back to Warubiaru depending on how many Starmies I fail to kill.

Cool team dude, but your Scizor's EV spread is screwed up. You didn't even max out the EVs ._. I presume you're using 252hp/144atk/106spd/8spe because you said something about it being bulky... Also, might I suggest using U-Turn instead of Bug Bite? Shandera's not going to be banned on the PO server forever, and even without factoring Shadow Tag in, being able to keep up the momentum while dealing heavy damage to your switch-in is always a nice thing.

I agree with Aerrow on HP Ice Virizion as Gliscor will shit on you with Acrobat. AcroFlingScor can be pretty annoying because it can Fling its Toxic Orb, and your Steel/Poison types are already hit pretty badly by EQ/Acrobat with the exception of Heatran, who can rape with Fire Blast. Gyarados is your other main check due to Intimidate. (does +0 Waterfall OHKO Impish Gliscor?)

P.S. Needs more Ulgamoth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)