Walrus The Panic Station 2020 Walrus [FINISHED - Congrats to leonard (from big bang theory)]

[10:47 AM] PS2020: IT'S SPRING BREAK! WOOOOO!
It's Spring Break and my roommate has scheduled three different trips out of town! Woo?
I don't know if this is going to directly affect the Monday reveal, but otherwise my schedule is in flux rn. Worse comes to worse, I skirt the issue entirely and push 4th round reveal back to the planned date for 5th round, Tuesday the 17th. (With some corny line about how the snakes St. Patrick drove out are animals.) But otherwise? I'm winging it.
[11:00 AM] PS2020: NOTE: This might mean I start judging the 5th round ahead of time. If you haven't submitted a tv theme song to me yet, consider beating the rush and doing it now.
[5:09 PM] PS2020: I just got confirmation that one of the trips is on Monday. So I will be going ahead with that plan to shift everything to Tuesday the 17th at 3pm CDT.
[5:11 PM] PS2020: And I probably will get some 5th round judging done in the meantime, so I'll be sliding into your DMs if your tv theme song sub is pending.
TL;DR: Round 4 on Tueday the 17th, and the gap between rounds 4 and 5 will probably be shorter.

Category 4 - Animal Magnetism Redux

This round's theme bonus question: “Which song would I most want to add to an animal themed playlist?”

Our headers for this round are Got My Own Thing Now by Squirrel Nut Zippers and Chicken Payback by The Bees

21st Place
Submitted by Muusu
Score: 6.8

Once In A Lifetime by Kermit the Frog

Were I drunk enough, this would be the theme winner. But therein lies a slippery slope of determining “enough”.
20th Place
Submitted by termi
Score: 7.8

Heave Ho by Cows

I’ve played this song three times in a row and I’m still not entirely sure what I feel about it. It’s pretty good, tho.
19th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn
Score: 8.2

Sleep And Dream by Battle of Mice

I’m still kinda tryna wrap my head around the novelty of it. Her voice threw me a little.
18th Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 8.3

Eugene vs Download: Rabid Battlers Power Struggle by Lapfox Trax

I actually forgot you pretty much sent me an album. It’s long and layered with harsh noise and surprisingly I kinda dig it. My favorite part is 20:21-23:45, though it perks up in general from the 20 minute mark onwards.

Tell me after the reveal if you sent this to troll me or if you were just trying to introduce me to some cool and obscure industrial noise type stuff. I overthought one of the subs I sent to you, so I may wanna swap it depending on your answer.
17th Place
Submitted by Logic
Score: 8.4

White Unicorn by Wolfmother

You’re the only one who went for the double whammy. Kudos for that.
16th Place
Submitted by shubaka
Score: 8.5

No Strings by I Fight Dragons

The backing reminds me of Anamanaguchi.
15th Place
Submitted by gbsfranca
Score: 8.7

Como Era Bom by Cachorro Grande

¿Qué pasa? ;)
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by energy
Score: 8.8

Young, Wild & Free by Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa ft. Bruno Mars

This is lit.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by RaceBandit

Hotel California by The Eagles

You may scoff, you may roll your eyes, you may call it overrated… but this song is probably one of the reasons I’m into horror manga and Stephen King.
12th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype
Score: 8.9

Love Won’t Sleep by Lostboycrow

I thought at first that I might sleep on this, but nah, this is a bop.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by catgode
Score: 9.0

Megalovania (Camellia Remix) by Toby Fox

I’d say I’m not really into Undertale, but I kinda fell in love with Toby Fox’s discography while reading through Homestuck. Plus Camellia’s involved and putting some nice stank on it.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

Legendary Iron Hood by Open Mike Eagle

Oh, goodness… the man’s a casual poet.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Bloody
Score: 9.1

Kakusei by Superfly

Intro fooled me into thinking I was gonna chill with a Yoko Kanno song.

BANGER used FAKE OUT! It’s a super effective bop!
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Celever

Fluorescent Adolescent by Arctic Monkeys

I almost put Arctic Monkeys in my examples, but I wanted to show the scope of the cat extends beyond mammals.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Dobby
Score: 9.2

The King and All Of His Men by Wolf Gang

And speaking of super effective bops...
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by nutella

Dark Am I by The Last Bison

Somehow, even though I’d never heard them before, I saw what you had subbed me and went “Oh boy, this gonna be good.” And I was quite right.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Aura
Score: 9.3

Take It Easy by The Eagles

Now this is the road trip music I really wanna hear.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by leonard

Tokyo Drifting by Glass Animals ft. Denzel Curry

Qualification by technicality, but that’s quite okay. I’m not gonna turn around and burn you for a technicality, especially not after hearing Curry spitting fire.
3rd Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 9.4

Love Will Save You by Swans

The guitars make me feel meditative. Then the vocals kick in and make me feel like I’m walking through a montage scene in an HBO show.
2nd Place
Submitted by Owner [THEME WINNER]
Score: 9.5

The Jungle by Zayde Wolf

I was expecting to be welcomed with fun and games, not to get my face slapped off by awesomeness.
1st Place
Submitted by Lectrys
Score: 9.6

Journey of the Sorcerer by The Eagles

When others lean into The Eagles, you lean into the obscure stuff that fell off the back of the radio station’s van.

And OMG it’s the BBC Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy theme! I didn’t even know that I have known and loved this song for such a long time. BBC series >>> movie, btw. (Zaphod got butchered by the movie interpretation…) You miiight have made a mistake by subbing this one a category too soon, but we’ll see about that.
And our outro is I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock of Seagulls

Last edited:
leonard holds on to his lead in 1st as Owner jumps up to 2nd. Aura shares 3rd again, this time with nutella.

Round 5 is What’s On The Tube?. Same bat time, same bat channel! Tomorrow at 3pm CDT!

Also, if you want to swap out your tv theme song… today’s your last chance!

Category 5 - What's On The Tube?

This round's theme bonus question: “Which song is most apropos to its show?”

Our headers for this round are from The Drew Carey Show and The Greatest American Hero

21st Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 0.3

The Song That Never Ends by Sheri Lewis
[For your protection, this link has been removed. You're welcome.]

OH GOD NO
20th Place
Submitted by Dobby
Score: 6.1

Björnes Magasin by Anders Linder

I had quite a few players who said “Idk what to send, I don’t watch tv.” You, you swapped to this. From the X-Files theme. So you have no excuse.
19th Place
Submitted by Muusu
Score: 7.7

Friends Halation by Triple-Q

clap clap clap clap

Now that I got that out of the way, it got a little weird when the vocals switched over. I could have gone the whole song with just Snow Halation vocals and the only complaint I would have had was the claps were muffled.
18th Place
Submitted by Isa

Kalles Klätterträd by Jojje Wadenius

Do you want to post the lyrics translation you DMed me or should I?
17th Place
Submitted by RaceBandit
Score: 7.9

Force Field by Zack Lawrence

You mean there are game shows out there that I’ve never even HEARD of? Madness, I say, MADNESS!
16th Place
Submitted by Owner
Score: 8.0

George Shrinks Theme by Colin James

Not enjoying the sfx over the song, but this is far better than I was expecting.
15th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

Fuguefat by The Octopus Project

So this is the theme song to The Smash Brothers, a docuseries about the Super Smash Bros. community and its most notable competitive players.
14th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

The Amazing Race Main Theme by John M. Keane

Feels like this isn’t the full version of this song, which is a shame because it’s kinda banger.
13th Place
Submitted by termi

Windswept (Reprise) by Johnny Jewel

.maj ym siht ,haey wA
Tied for 11th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype
Score: 8.6

Pokemon Johto by Johto

It probably says a lot about me that I logged the Pokemon anime to the TV theme songs cat and then went “Hey, wait a minute…” But there are a couple of reasons I accepted something that treads a fine line between TV theme song and anime OP. The cool reason is that the localization team auditioned and hired American singers to form a new band specifically for English dub Pokemon theme songs. And the harsh truth is it was one of the 4Kids whitewashed cash crops. If onigiri can be jelly donuts, then Johto can sing TV theme songs.
Tied for 11th Place
Submitted by gbsfranca

A Grande Família by Dudu Nobre

Reminds me of the tejano radio station that was always playing in the carpool at my first job.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Cambio Dolor by Natalia Oreiro

Why do telenovelas always have better music than the daytime soaps?
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Celever

All You Need Is Love by The Beatles

So in the course of determining the theme winner, I took a look at where this song was used: the final episode of The Prisoner. I don’t think the juxtaposition does it any favors on theme winner, but it made me want to watch The Prisoner, so that’s something.
8th Place
Submitted by catgode

Lunatic Peels ~ Invisible Full Net by turdl3

The pace of the lyrics was a bit disorienting on the first listen, but it’s a frickin’ Overdrive mash and that alone is enough to make me happy.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Aura

Game of Thrones Main Title by Ramin Djawadi

Even if the finale was a flop, there’s always the theme song.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Akane by Kanojo IN THE DISPLAY

Welp, you found a workaround.
5th Place
Submitted by energy

Superman by Lazlo Bane

4th Place
Submitted by Logic

The Mandalorian Main Theme Song (80s Retro Synthwave Cover) by YSSY

Man, why you do this to me. You probably just spoiled me for the original version and I haven’t even heard the original version yet.
3rd Place
Submitted by shubaka {THEME WINNER]

Teen Titans by Puffy AmiYumi

You’ve hit me right in the, uh… I wanna say childhood, but I was just out of high school when Teen Titans started airing.
2nd Place
Submitted by leonard

Change for the World by Charles Bradley

I’ve always lowkey wanted to watch Barry despite my lack of HBO. And now you’ve made me want it even more.
1st Place
Submitted by nutella

You’ve Got Time by Regina Spektor

The YouTube comments for this vid are talking about people skipping the theme song and honestly, I just can’t understand why people would skip this.

And our outro is from Frasier

leonard leads the ratings with his hit show, King of 9.3s. nutella and shubaka snag prime time slots in second and third.

Round 6 is Everyone’s In A Band These Days. We’re back to the usual schedule, so let’s get starstruck on Friday the 27th at 3pm CDT.

Category 6 - Everyone’s In A Band These Days

This round's theme bonus question: “Which celebrity presence made me pog hardest?”

Our headers for this round are You Don’t Know My Mind by Hugh Laurie and Lady Come Down by Colin Firth and Rupert Everett

21st Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 1.2

Lady Gaga ft. Jim Carrey by idk who made this so don't ask me

In my defense, my brain was already fried halfway through checking Leb’s subs. So yes, this shouldn’t really be here, but tbf this shouldn’t really exist.
20th Place
Submitted by Muusu
Score: 4.7

Magnet by Clintonloid and Trumpoid

You should have seen the writeup I had before Muusu swapped from one Trumpoid song to another. It was brilliant, the best writeup, very incredible with very clever wording. It had a tremendously nice reference, one you would have LOVED! But then, Muusu goes and swaps to this? I mean, I get it, it’s golf. Can this golf game of Muusu’s win against Lebossle? You’ll find out. But I’ve been wronged here, believe me.
19th Place
Submitted by termi
Score: 5.0

The Neden Game by Insane Clown Posse

Anyone who says this is a catfail needs to go google Big Money Rustlas. I’d rather watch that again than hear this again. Shoulda hit me up with one of their murder songs.
18th Place
Submitted by Owner

Isabelle by Dogstar

I’m fussy as hell about live audio quality, but thank you for this rare gem.
17th Place
Submitted by energy

You’re Welcome by Dwayne Johnson

I see your Maui and raise you my Maui.
16th Place
Submitted by Logic

The Hanging Tree by Jennifer Lawrence

I may not know much about good movies, but I know good music when I hear it.
15th Place
Submitted by Dobby

In The Room Where You Sleep by Dead Man’s Bones

Did I just find an excuse to watch La La Land? Hmm...
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Tomorrow by Ryan Reynolds

Someone, I think it was Shub, shared this with me back when I first started talking about The Masked Singer in the server. Tbh, I’d love to hear this polished up into a studio version. Reynolds has a really nice voice.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Bloody

The Garden of Everything by Maaya Sakamoto ft. Steve Conte

Now I’m wondering if you’ve got RahXephon in your collection or if we could finagle it for our next time streaming.
12th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Theme From New York, New York by Frank Sinatra

Iirc, the only Sinatra movie I’ve seen is Robin and the Seven Hoods. It’s a good movie, though, and one I would recommend.
11th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

Y’know, for a guy who gave himself first billing, Jeff doesn’t rap much.
10th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

The Bloody Verdict of Verden by Sir Christopher Lee

I’m so happy Saruman abandoned the dark side and embraced the power of symphonic metal.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Aura

The Angels Came Down by Kevin Costner & Modern West

Are you sure you weren’t planning to sub this for the country cat?
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Celever

Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It by Will Smith

For some reason, my brain wants to make a mash of this and Talk Dirty To Me.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by leonard

Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy

This sounds so 80s. Last time I remember hearing Eddie Murphy sing, he was in character as Buckwheat.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by RaceBandit

True Survivor by David Hasslehoff

Uh, this is the part where I ping Mendel because he’s German, right?
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by gbsfranca

Unchain My Heart by Hugh Laurie

I kinda wanna see the look on your face when the header plays. Maybe you DO know my mind...
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by shubaka

Cherries Jubiles by Yukika

Well, you did say it’s unique. I wonder what the studio version sounds like.
Tied for 2nd Place
Submitted by catgode

Holding Out For A Hero by Jennifer Saunders

Should I be embarrassed that I’ve seen all four Shreks or should I just lean into the fact that this cover is fire?
Tied for 2nd Place
Submitted by Isa

This is War by 30 Seconds To Mars

How the hell have I slept on this band so damn much when this is so damn good?
1st Place
Submitted by nutella [THEME WINNER]

I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free) by Jeff Goldblum & The Mildred Snitzer Orchestra

I pogged so hard upon seeing what nutella subbed that I literally made the pog face. It’s Jeff fucking Goldblum! And he’s a JAZZ PIANIST! I’m plotzing, I’m plotzing!

And our outro is House of the Rising Sun by Jeremy Renner

nutella steals the spotlight in first place. leonard and shubaka round out a star-studded leaderboard.

Round 6 is The Strong, Silent Type. We’re not speaking to each other on Tuesday April 7th at 2pm CDT!

Category 7 - The Strong, Silent Type

This round's theme bonus question: “Which song would I want to hear live in concert?”

Our headers for this round are Wild Monk by Osamu Kitajima and Light by Polyphia

21st Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 2.6

Hedwig’s Theme (Loud) by Luke’s Loud Sounds

Joke’s on you, I turned my volume down for this one.
20th Place
Submitted by Muusu

Ping! By Exyl

This isn't golfing, this is shuffleboard. You slid a banger into my DMs.
19th Place
Submitted by Isa

Visa från Utanmyra by Jan Johansson

t r a d i t i o n a l s w e d i s h j a z z
Tied for 17th Place
Submitted by Celever

Dialga’s Fight to the Finish! by Little V.

I feel like I gotta complain now. Y’all keep sending me such good stuff that the recent reveals are about as top heavy as a Pamela Anderson action figure that’s dating Plastic Surgeon Ken. Look at this, this is in the bottom third for the round and it’s an 8.6. An 8.6! It’s getting ridiculous and at this point I simply have to tell y’all to never stop sending me great songs. Just give in and embrace the inevitable 21-way tie for first. My ears thank you in advance.
Tied for 17th Place
Submitted by Dobby

Sponsored by Destiny by Slagsmålsklubben

The transition from drone to bouncy got me like whoa.
Tied for 15th Place
Submitted by Aura

The Blackthorn by The Black Piper

While I don’t judge by the videos and thumbnails, I do look at them occasionally. And I am very impressed that there’s a book out there with its own soundtrack.
Tied for 15th Place
Submitted by gbsfranca

Late Night by ODESZA

I had to switch the link to the official audio to realize the sound effects were part of the song and not just added in via the music video.
14th Place
Submitted by catgode

The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood by TAM

Rip Leb’s walrus. You could’ve given me a run for my money. Hell, I was thinking of you when I burn listed Momentum Mori.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

Autumn Leaves by Michel Petrucciani

Often when I get an ad-free hour on Pandora, everything longer than four and a half minutes gets passed over in my quest to listen to as much music as possible in sixty minutes. And then there are some songs that you just can’t skip no matter how long they are.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by nutella

The Cascades by Fleet Foxes

I can picture myself trekking through the Flint Hills or the Osage Cuestas on foot when I listen to this. I wanted it to be longer.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Owner

Echolocation by LITE

Add this one to the list of Songs I Assumed Were A Different Genre Until I Pressed Play.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by RaceBandit

Starchaser by H-Mister

More chiptune in my life is always a good thing.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by termi

Ouroboros by Reiyashi

This is zen as hell. Is there actually such a thing as cyberchill? And if not, can there be?
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Lectrys [THEME WINNER]

Conga del Fuego by Arturo Márquez

Most of the concerts I’ve seen in my life were orchestras and recitals. The song started and I suddenly felt a primal need to sit in an auditorium seat and let the music wash over me in person.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by shubaka

Warpstar (With You) by Slime Girls

More chiptune in my life is ALWAYS a good thing.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Rain of Amethyst by Camellia

I wonder if I can get Camellia on my Pandora...
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Logic

The Ecstasy of Gold by Enrico Morricone

I love how it builds from something suspenseful into something epic.
4th Place
Submitted by energy

300 Violin Orchestra by Jorge Quintero

I understand this is probably all done with computers, but I can easily picture the choir clapping and stomping in unison.
3rd Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Foto Blu Infinito by Novembre

I was expecting hard shred and I got something even better. And then I got that PLUS some excellent shred.
2nd Place
Submitted by leonard [THEME WINNER]

Do The Astral Plane by Flying Lotus

This is the nicest use of voice as instrument in the entire round. A funny feeling came over me here. The same desire to be there in person that I felt listening to Lectrys’s sub.
1st Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Route 203 Jazz Arrangement (Sinnoh Fusion Ensemble) by insaneintherainmusic

I can’t really judge this as a pokemon song since I never got the chance to play Diamond in full. It’s a damn fine song, though. You could have blindfolded me and told me this was composed for Trump’s inauguration, and I’d still enjoy it immensely.
And our outro is Aerodynamic by Daft Punk

A hush falls over the crowd as leonard pulls back into the lead! nutella and shubaka are a whisper away on the leaderboard.

Round 8 is The Titleist Redux. We’ll be rereading the title cards on Sunday the 19th at 2pm CDT.

Category 8 - The Titleist Redux

This round's theme bonus question: “Which song makes me want to listen to the whole album?”

Our headers for this round are Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand and Know by System Of A Down

20th Place
Submitted by Lebossle

Alice Practice by Crystal Castles

19th Place
Submitted by Muusu
Score: 6.9

Don’t Go Breaking My Dick by My Dick ft. Gordon Merrick

Y’know, Bloods has the full album uploaded on his YouTube channel.

Most of the parody lyrics are awkwardly shoehorned in, but some lines are cleverly edited. I don’t think there’s any other score I could give this one.
18th Place
Submitted by RaceBandit

The Whole World by OutKast ft. Killer Mike

Catchy chorus with nice harmony. Tight flow throughout the verses.

...And then there’s the censor blanks. Dammit, man, you sent me the clean version!
17th Place
Submitted by Isa

Give Up by Low Roar

Low Roar, high score? Hmmm…
16th Place
Submitted by catgode

Pretty Cvnt by Sewerslvt

This is music to play while I’m hunkered down building D&D chars or mafia setups. Or maybe a novel, eventually, idk.
15th Place
Submitted by Bloody

I Bet You’ll Forget That Even If You Noticed That by Foreground Eclipse

Okay, show of hands: how many people heard the first 40 seconds and thought this couldn't be a Blodds sub?
14th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

Nuclear Rapture by Horsehunter

Sometimes metal screams and growls are hit or miss for me. Here, it’s hit rather than miss. This is reminiscent of a prog song, albeit one that’s very stripped down and gritty at times.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Celever

Rusty Halo by The Script

Got me nodding my head to the beat.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by energy

Rock The House by Gorillaz

I know you were navigating around my use list here, but idt you took the recorder into account. Tbf, I forgot about it myself until I had it trilling in my ear.
11th Place
Submitted by Owner

Softer To Me by Relient K

Hits pretty hard for something calling itself soft.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Aura

The Wizard by Black Sabbath

The harmonica’s an interesting addition to those sweet guitars and drums.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Dobby

Anna Sun by Walk The Moon

This sound makes my brain search for comparison points with other bands, before giving up and admitting it just knows what it likes.
Tied for 7th
Submitted by gbsfranca & termi

Gone by Charli XCX ft. Christine and the Queens

First, termi subbed Next Level Charli. Then she swapped to this. Then gbs subbed it and agreed to the tie. And then they all lived happily ever after, the end.
Tied for 7th
Submitted by leonard

Do It Now by Cool Company

Interesting voice. I think this is gonna get stuck in my head.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Logic

What You Are by Audioslave

Audioslave’s done right by you before, so why not?
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by nutella [THEME WINNER]

The Perfect Song by The National

The perfect song doesn’t exi-

Is it weird that I wanna hear the album solely because the lead singer sounds kinda like a cross between Johnny Cash and Swans?
4th Place
Submitted by shubaka

Tigerlily by La Roux

Well, now I need to steal the La Roux meme you posted.
3rd Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Tethys by Conquering Dystopia

Such a driving and complex melody. I think we have another case of “subbed it to the wrong cat and still did great”.
2nd Place
Submitted by Andy Snype [THEME WINNER]

Dreaming by Smallpools

Ohhhh yeah!
1st Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

A Little Piece of Heaven by Avenged Sevenfold

I haven’t had my Lute itch scratched like this since There Existed An Addiction to Blood dropped last year. At points, it’s like a Voltaire song on steroids.
And our outro is Tomorrow Comes Today by Gorillaz

Category 9 - Yeehaw!

This round's theme bonus question: “Which song would make me admit I listen to country?”

Our headers for this round are 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton and Fire On the Mountain by Iron Horse

21st Place
Submitted by Muusu
Score: 6.3

Parked Out By The Lake by Dean Summerwind

Have I already reached peak country?
20th Place
Submitted by shubaka

Son of a Son of a Sailor by Jimmy Buffet

Yes, Jimmy Buffet qualifies. In this venue, it's best described as country-approximate, but it qualifies.
19th Place
Submitted by termi

Ramblin’ Man by Hank Williams Sr.

I was expecting something like the Allman Brothers and now I feel bad for thinking that.
18th Place
Submitted by catgode
Score: 8.1

Take Me Home, Country Roads (Nuclear Winter Update) - Fallout 76 by SilvaGunner

It just works, desu yo ne.
17th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Rootin-Tootin' Love by SilvaGunner

[2:44pm] BrainpanSonata: what the fresh hell is this
[2:44pm] BrainpanSonata: silvaghunner country? wtf
[2:44pm] BrainpanSonata: i mean, you;’re not wrong but
16th Place
Submitted by Dobby

Emmylou by First Aid Kit

Love the steel guitar. Not entirely sure about the harmonies here.
15th Place
Submitted by Isa

All My Little Words by The Magnetic Fields

Love the banjo, but I can’t help but sympathize hearing the lead singer try to hit those low notes.
14th Place
Submitted by gbsfranca

Borboletas by Victor & Leo

Country from another country… noice.
13th Place
Submitted by Celever

Hurt by Johnny Cash

Now that’s what I call a blatant pander.
Tied for 11th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Are You Sure by Kacey Musgraves ft. Willie Nelson

It feels so weird to be listening to this during quarantine.
Tied for 11th Place
Submitted by Owner

The Git Up by Blanco Brown

My giddy up and go just got down and boogied.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Lebossle

Old Town Road (Area 51 Video) by Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus, Young Thug & Mason Ramsey

Man, if this was a music video cat… maybe I’ll give in and get a PlugDJ account sometime in the future.

Also, yes, it’s true: this is the point where Leb stopped golfing. Stay tuned to see how much the bangers impact his score.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by nutella

Old Number 7 by The Devil Makes Three

I’ll drink to that.
8th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

Welcome to Earth (Pollywog) by Sturgill Simpson

Doesn’t sound much like a country song, but it sounds a lot like a banger.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

A-YO by Lady Gaga

Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Cosmic Square Dance by Chet Atkins ft. Mark Knopfler

This is mighty nice.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Aura

The Highwayman by Jimmy Webb

What it lacks in that old country twang, it makes up for in the beautiful orchestration.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Logic

War Pigs by Hayseed Dixie

Made me think it was noon Monday with that tornado siren, kek. But damn, it’s good.
3rd Place
Submitted by RaceBandit [THEME WINNER]

If You’re Going Through Hell by Rodney Atkins

Man, this was so popular in my hometown back in its heyday. Is it weird that I’m headbanging to a country song?
2nd Place
Submitted by energy

Kinfolks by Sam Hunt

So this is modern mainstream country. Hot damn.
1st Place
Submitted by leonard

Dixieland Delight by Alabama

A category so far out of your wheelhouse... and yet it feels SO right.
And our outro is Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident) by John Michael Montgomery

leonard cowboys up and pulls back into the lead! nutella and Andy Snype give it the gun on the podium.

Round 10 (already?) is And The Grammy Goes To… Get your acceptance speeches ready for Wednesday the 13th at 2pm CDT.

Category 10 - And The Grammy Goes To…

This round's theme bonus question: “Which song most deserves its Grammy?”

Our headers for this round are What’s Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner and Lazaretto by Jack White

NOTE: Today's reveal begins at 20th, due to a dense tie as per the dupes clause.

20th Place
Submitted by Muusu
Score: 6.5

Rolling In The Deep by Liao Jia Lin

I probably should have catfailed this for not being sung by Adele, but there’s a very good reason why I won’t. I did some digging on this one, by which I mean I read the YouTube comments and googled from there. Dr. Liao isn’t screwing around with a karaoke jam. He’s actually singing the song in a Chinese opera style known as Huaguxi or flower-drum opera. This isn’t just a shitpost, this is culture.
19th Place
Submitted by gbsfranca
Score: 7.2

Beautiful Day by U2

I’m not sure if I’ve slept too much or haven’t slept enough on Bono. Also, does the studio version even have an airplane in flight in it?
18th Place
Submitted by Bloody
Score: 7.6

Pop It Off by Bruneaux

There's a Grammy winner in here somewhere. Maybe more than one, who knows. If you can pick them out from this tangle of sound, kudos to you.
17th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Beauty and the Beast by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson

An example of how poor my memory can be: I’m 80% certain this song was in my last walrus, but for the life of me I can’t remember which cat it was in or what score it got then.
16th Place
Submitted by Logic

Theme of Exodus by Ernest Gold

Pretty sure this was a major influence for the Hail, Caesar! soundtrack.
15th Place
Submitted by catgode

The Pillar Men Theme - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven by SilvaGunner

Does anyone regret the mashups clause? No? Me neither.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Celever

Killing Me Softly With His Song by Roberta Flack

I think I heard this in one of my roommate’s romcom movies. Except it was being sung by a ten year old boy.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by shubaka

If I Didn’t Have You by Billy Crystal and John Goodman

Well, I already knew Goodman can sing. I’m one of the few people who will admit to owning a copy of Blues Brothers 2000… and the soundtrack to the same. YMMV on Billy Crystal, but their voices blend well when they sing together.
12th Place
Submitted by Dobby

You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette

One of those songs where I’ve memorized the chorus but never really heard the verses before. This is great, it pulls no punches.
11th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

Smooth by Santana ft. Rob Thomas

I wish you’d given me the official audio instead of the music video. With how good Santana's guitar licks are, not having that extra minute or so is a little tragic. Yes, even after hearing it Jojofied, I want more Santana than this.
10th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Layla (Unplugged) by Eric Clapton

I’d say it’s pretty gutsy to send me the live version, but there are a few cases where I prefer the live version over the studio version. I think this is one of them.
9th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Ain’t It Fun by Paramore

Living in the real world isn’t exactly fun right now, but this song is certainly fun.
8th Place
Submitted by leonard & termi

These Walls by Kendrik Lamar ft. Bilal, Anna Wise & Thundercat

I have too many favorite rappers to do my Four on the Floor anti-pandering idea for a rap category. Though maybe the odd one out there would be Kendrik, just so I could listen to more of his songs.
7th Place
Submitted by Owner

Wanna Be Happy? by Kirk Franklin

Yeah, gimme that sweet gospel.
6th Place
Submitted by energy

Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots

Is energy a pandermaster or does he have his finger on the pulse of pop culture? ¿Por que no los dos?
5th Place
Submitted by nutella

Jai Ho by A. R. Rahman

From the get go, this slaps.
4th Place
Submitted by Aura

El Dorado by Iron Maiden

Remember how I said some songs can’t be skipped no matter how long they are? Hope you like long fullplays.
3rd Place
Submitted by Lebossle

Electric Feel (Justice Remix) by MGMT

I love the original. I also love the remix. Don’t make me choose which one I love more.
2nd Place
Submitted by Isa [THEME WINNER]
Score: 9.7

Blackstar by David Bowie

All I can say is YES.
1st Place
Submitted by RaceBandit
Score: 9.8

7empest by Tool

Remember how I said some songs can’t be skipped no matter how long they are? Hope you REALLY like long fullplays.

And our outro is Don’t Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin

The gap grows smaller between leonard and nutella! Aura edges out Andy for the third spot on the leaderboard podium.

Our final round is Looking To The Future (aka 2020 Vision). Who has the brightest future ahead of them? Find out on Thursday the 21st at 2pm CDT.

Category FINAL - Looking To The Future (aka 2020 Vision)

This round's theme bonus question: “Which song makes me look forward to the future the most?”

Our headers for this round are Astronomy Domine (Live) by Pink Floyd and The Final Countdown by Europe

21st Place
Submitted by Muusu
Score: 3.4

Moon [Censored] by Plump

1) Too much gratuitous racial slang. About halfway through it stopped being “welcome, space brothers” and started being that one 13yo who spams cuss words in chat because the mods are afk.
2) A whole point docked for the moon shit. That’s just gross.
3) If it weren’t for 1 and 2, it would have been too short for my liking.
20th Place
Submitted by LordQuas

On Jupiter by The Armed

Okay, this is the audio version of the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey and I don’t like that. Too much noise happening all at once. My brain wants subtitles and a tequila sunrise.
19th Place
Submitted by RaceBandit
Score: 4.9

Universes by adohu

It’s a weird song. It sounds like someone’s trying to run on a freshly waxed gym floor and play an old school arcade game at the same time. That squeaking almost gave me a headache.
18th Place
Submitted by Lectrys
Score: 5.2

Spaceport Alpha by David Wise

Of all the things you could send me, you sent me this. Never played the game, never played the franchise. This is not hitting the mark with me at all.
17th Place
Submitted by energy

Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

A tiny piece of me wishes you’d gone with your other choice. The fridge logic of “all my accomplishments mean nothing if I die (in this implied apocalypse)” hits far differently than “I survived the apocalypse and all I got was this lungful of chemicals”.
16th Place
Submitted by Logic

The Geeks Were Right by The Faint

That guitar is anything but shy. The synth was a nice touch, but it was just that, a touch of synth. More synth is rarely a bad thing.
15th Place
Submitted by Isa

Reuters by Wire

This sooo doesn’t answer the theme bonus question.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Celever

Earth by Easy Life

I understand you had trouble with this cat, but the metaphors hit the brief pretty well.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by termi

Genetic Engineering by X-Ray Spex

Dude with the saxophone’s there like “Yeah, we’re first wave punk, but I’m in a second wave ska mood”.
Tied for 11th Place
Submitted by catgode

Space Magic by meganeko

Certainly sounds super futuristic.
Tied for 11th Place
Submitted by Owner

Ghost Town by Shiny Toy Guns

The apocalypse part almost went over my head, but this is definitely straight outta the edgy emopunk section of my wheelhouse.
10th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Breaking Out by The Protomen

Is it weird that I’m getting Meatloaf vibes from this song? Not a bad thing by far, but is it weird that a song that is contextually unofficial Mega Man OST makes me think of I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)?
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai

Well, it seems like nobody listened to this message before it was too late.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by shubaka

Endless and Artificial by City Girl

Interesting use of vocals as instrument. Or is that vocaloid as instrument?
7th Place
Submitted by Aura

Godhunter (Full Album) by Aviators

Justifying an entire album as a sub will take too long and destroy what’s left of my credibility, so let’s just get right into judging it.

The percussion and the vocal style kinda remind me of Zayde Wolf, Kongos, or The Brothers Bright. By which I mean, just from the first track this seems like it could be my jam. From there, the synthwave elements kick in and things switch up a bit from track to track, always giving you something interesting to listen to without really repeating itself. The lyrics definitely paint pictures in each track, though I think it’d take multiple playthroughs to fully determine a contiguous thread of narrative. Which doesn’t seem like a bad idea, tbh. (Side note: if you want to dissect this on your own time, do so with an hour and a half set aside in your day, your phone off, and your ad blocker on. This seems like something you’ll want to listen to without interruptions.) My favorite tracks on the album are Pop Cult Crucifixion and A Castle on the Sea.
6th Place
Submitted by gbsfranca

Run by AWOLNATION

“Bitch, I AM the apocalypse” is one hell of a mood.
5th Place
Submitted by Dobby

Apocalypse Please by Muse

I was gonna make a joke about this being robbed, but I just realized this is straight off the soundtrack of 2020.
4th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

A Beautiful Start To The End Of The World by The Clan Destined

By the time you read this, The Clan Destined will already have been added to my Pandora.
Tied for 2nd Place
Submitted by Lebossle [THEME WINNER]

We Appreciate Power by Grimes

Grimes is so future, even her baby names are from the future. Jokes aside, I love this. What would it take to make me capitulate? Nothing, man, I’m a huge fan of the technological singularity. Now where do I sign up?
Tied for 2nd Place
Submitted by leonard

Flash Delirium by MGMT

I wasn’t really aware before now that this song’s about social media. But tbf, Congratulations is firmly entrenched in my mind as The Soundtrack To My Mental Health Circa 2015, In No Particular Order: The Album. The new information kinda aligns with that in a weird way actually, since that’s also the time I started being active in Kongregate’s Forum Games Forum.
1st Place
Submitted by nutella

Singularity by Darlingside

This isn’t the singularity I was hoping for, but between the beautiful harmonies and the moving lyrics, I don’t mind that it isn’t.
And our outro is We Will All Go Together by Tom Lehrer

Now is the moment you’ve all been waiting for. The winner of the Panic Station 2020 Walrus is…

BY ONE TENTH OF A POINT, IT’S LEONARD!

Congratulations, leonard! And congratulations to nutella and AuraGuardian for finishing in second and third. And thanks to all y’all for subbing and listening and golfing and mashing and just being here and having fun.

Please look forward to Weebrus on June 1st. I’m doing something new with the format that I hope you’ll all sub to and enjoy.

Here are the final standings for PS2020:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)