The plausibility of online IR battles

So, Gen V introduces IR battles and trading, via the card's integrated port.

Here's the thing: By definition, you should be able to receive those signals using external hardware and output them to a transmitter.

IR signals simply use infrared light; a receiver/transmitter like this one could intercept that signal. From there, the signal wouldn't need to be UNDERSTOOD; the PC would simply transmit it over the Internet to a connected machine, which would output it over its own IR transmitter. Like so:

DS 1 --- PC 1 ====== PC 2 --- DS 2

So...

With an application that would intercept the IR signal, transmit it to the other PC over the internet, get the second DS's response, and broadcast that: would it be possible to play online through IR? How strict is the timing- would network lag on a reasonable broadband connection be a problem?

If not, this could allow for online Generation V play without going through the pains of Nintendo's friend code system, provided both ends had a single piece of hardware.

The biggest issue is, again, the timing, which requires investigation. We'd also need to know what frequency the IR port outputs and expects to recieve.

The IR Battles are the only ones that don't use that stupid thing were you see your opponent's team beforehand right? If that's the case and Shoddy goes with the afformentioned mechanic, then I'm probably going to start doing this.

What exactly is the purpose of IR battle? so far the only place I have seen it in the game it only allows me to choose 2 pokemon and then wait for another person

Apparently IR battles behave like Gen IV local wireless battles- 6v6, no party reveal.

If so, tunneling them would be very, very useful.

Anyone with a cartridge and IR transmitter/receiver want to do some experimentation? Failing that, anyone with a cartridge and disposable income want to spend $50 on the hardware?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think, I THINK Masuda said they use IR only in the beginning of the connection. After that, it switches to wireless. Doctor, I see a problem.

And don't even say "lol Shoddy can emulate IR battles", because we can't do the same with huh Wi-Fi. And as far as I know, we "try" have the same tier lists for both.

The IR Battles are the only ones that don't use that stupid thing were you see your opponent's team beforehand right? If that's the case and Shoddy goes with the afformentioned mechanic, then I'm probably going to start doing this.
No. Friend Code Wifi battles and Wireless battles don't show your team.

I think, I THINK Masuda said they use IR only in the beginning of the connection. After that, it switches to wireless. Doctor, I see a problem.

And don't even say "lol Shoddy can emulate IR battles", because we can't do the same with huh Wi-Fi. And as far as I know, we "try" have the same tier lists for both.

...Link to that statement? If so, it seems odd; why not just use local wireless for everything and save money on the IR hardware?

Also: Rotom-A.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
...Link to that statement? If so, it seems odd; why not just use local wireless for everything and save money on the IR hardware?

Also: Rotom-A.
Something about the IR consuming too much battery. I don't have any links, but it was either in Iwata Asks or Pokémon Peer, both released this month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)