The possibility of CurseTar

PLEASE NO FLAMES

Okay, first of all, I'm not crazy, nuts, or crazy-go-nuts. I mean this. While Tyranitar's preferred method of boosting is usually Dragon Dance, that doesn't mean Curse isn't a good option. One of the most neglected stats that Tyranitar has is his nice defense coupled with equally nice HP. And with his famously colossal attack AND a 1.5x Special Defense boost from Sandstream, Tyranitar can become hard to take down after a Curse or two.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream, Impish
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Curse
-Rest/Earthquake

EVs: 252 HP/96 Atk/156 Def

First off, the given EVs make sure that Tyranitar isn't even 2HKOed by a single-Dragon-Dance Gyarados' Waterfall (and it OHKOs back with Stone Edge since Intimidate is nullified by Curse). Rest vs. Earthquake seems to be a toss up and I haven't yet perfected which one to choose. Rest is obviously for the more tankish, while Earthquake grants additional type coverage. By the way, here are those Gyarados calcs.

Gyarados (1 DD) Waterfall v. Tyranitar (Intimidate, 1 curse): 44%-50%

Tyranitar (Intimidate, 1 curse) v. DD Gyarados: 105%-124%

Tyranitar (Intimidate, 1 curse) v. BulkyDos: 78%-92%

This set has 404 HP (enough for a Sub to withstand Seismic Toss, if you're using a Sub), coupled with 486 defense after a Curse and 492 attack after that same Curse. While I don't have a ton of calcs (yet, I'll do more), the playtesting I've done has yielded fruitful results. Many people try and fail to OHKO it with Earthquakes coming off all sorts of things, only to find Tyranitar still standing and retaliating with an incredibly strong attack. In case you missed that point, it works fantastically.

PLEASE NO FLAMES

Tyranitar (Intimidate, 1 curse) v. DD Gyarados: 105%-124%

Tyranitar (Intimidate, 1 curse) v. BulkyDos: 78%-92%
Is t-tar using Crunch or Stone Edge?

And why Impish when you could run Relaxed and TR it?

You need Careful and as much Sp. Defense as you can get, Curse boosts your Defense. Payback is better than Crunch on it.

Payback sounds like an interesting idea that has some very definite merit. The EV spread with the nature I have listed is specially designed to not be 2HKO'd by a one DD Gyarados after a Curse (because I use this as my lead on one team). Is there a specific attack we're aiming to withstand here? Without any boosts besides the Sandstorm boost Tyranitar isn't OHKOed by Roserade's Leaf Storm.

The calcs feature T-Tar using Stone Edge.

Careful and max or nearly maxed Special Defence is a requirement to be able to take as much special attacks as possible while Cursing up.

Also i would disagree Anti, Payback will get you that 100 base power sometimes but i actually prefer the 20% chance at a Def drop that you get when using Crunch.

Also i'd have to say Stone Edge is also not a necessity on the CurseTar and it can function with either Avalance or Earthquake in that slot, Avalance will net you faster kills against pokemon like Garchomp and Hippowdon and helps also with Grass types.

Before I actually change the set in the first post I'd like to throw this out there.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sandstream, Careful
-Curse
-Crunch
-Stone Edge/Avalanche/Earthquake
-Rest

EVs: 252 HP/56 Atk/196 SpD

Yeah, it has some slashitis, but there's little that can be done since all of them basically hit different stuff. I think institutionalizing Rest will be more effective with higher SpD EVs, since he'll be really hard to break. On the other hand, he'll need more curses to avoid being 2HKOd by things like a Weavile Brick Break (which he isn't with the original set).

This was on the analysis once, but it was removed as there are better options for Curse (Regirock and Snorlax have less weaknesses). Earthquake and Fighting attacks are just too common for it to be a worthwhile option, when Tyranitar's other sets are far more devastating.

However, this might actually work in Ubers (I didn't try it there, so that remains to be seen), as Fighting and Ground attacks aren't as common. Curse/Crunch/Earthquake then one from Stone Edge, Avalanche, Rest could be effective.

With a neutral nature in Attack and no Attack EVs (on the proposed set, not the original), the power drop is really not so great for Tyranitar.

How does this fair against the common fighting attacks?

I think Infernape, Lucario, Gengar (focus blast) and Heracross in particular would absolutely smash this, regardless of defense boosts.

It might be necessary to ditch Rest for Substitute for it to be viable.

How does this fair against the common fighting attacks?

I think Infernape, Lucario, Gengar (focus blast) and Heracross in particular would absolutely smash this, regardless of defense boosts.

It might be necessary to ditch Rest for Substitute for it to be viable.
I wonder if Gengar can actually OHKO this variant of Tyranitar with a Focus Blast... probably not. Maybe if it runs Choice Specs or Life Orb...

The problem with this is with rest being asleep 2 turns can quite easily allow others to set up, also the speed drop could potentially be your downfall after your opponent hits the lucky crit

Lum Berry Rest is an option that I'd consider here. You don't want to get hit with a status while setting up either.

I wonder if Gengar can actually OHKO this variant of Tyranitar with a Focus Blast... probably not. Maybe if it runs Choice Specs or Life Orb...
All without items, on the given Ttar spread:
Timid Gengar with 252 SpA EVs does 87.62%-103.22% with Focus Blast.

Mixape does 100.74% - 118.56% to the spread with Close Combat, 68.07% - 79.95% after 1 Curse.

Lucario does 99.75% - 117.57% with Aura Sphere, or...
140.10% - 164.60% with Close Combat, or 94.06% - 110.89% after 1 Curse.
Swords Dance spreads w/o a Swords Dance up will do 112.87% - 132.92% and 75.99% - 89.60%, respectively.

I don't mind contributing, but seriously, people need to figure out how to do their own damage calcs.

Instead of Impish, I'd use Careful. Just because you're already going to be boosting your Defense with Curse, and if you have Careful then the amount the Sand Storm boost increases your Sp. Def. will increase, letting him survive a bit more.

Well, you figure when a STAB fighting attack is to be expected, you simply switch out. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a Wish-Passer on the team for Ttar either.

Careful and max or nearly maxed Special Defence is a requirement to be able to take as much special attacks as possible while Cursing up.
Exactly. With max Sp. Defense and 401 Hp, Tyranitar will survivie a Timid Max Sp. Attack Life Orb Focus Blast. SpecsLuke will always destroy it.

Also i would disagree Anti, Payback will get you that 100 base power sometimes but i actually prefer the 20% chance at a Def drop that you get when using Crunch.
I guess they can both be options though I believe Payback will do more on average.

You need Careful and as much Sp. Defense as you can get, Curse boosts your Defense. Payback is better than Crunch on it.
Well, no. You boost it's defence and attack, not sp atk. And I would be more afraid of fighting then of any other type. Since there are just a hadn full of special fighting types you might want to be the nature to be defensive.

All without items, on the given Ttar spread:
Timid Gengar with 252 SpA EVs does 87.62%-103.22% with Focus Blast.

Mixape does 100.74% - 118.56% to the spread with Close Combat, 68.07% - 79.95% after 1 Curse.

Lucario does 99.75% - 117.57% with Aura Sphere, or...
140.10% - 164.60% with Close Combat, or 94.06% - 110.89% after 1 Curse.
Swords Dance spreads w/o a Swords Dance up will do 112.87% - 132.92% and 75.99% - 89.60%, respectively.

I don't mind contributing, but seriously, people need to figure out how to do their own damage calcs.
So with Life Orb, Choice Band/Spec or even Expert Belt that looks pretty devastating. Actually even without items it looks bad.

Can't say the fact that it lacks reliable recovery beyond Lum Berry Resting (or Wish Passing) fills me with confidence that this is the best way to use TTar either.

I would have run the calcs myself, but I was at work.

Well, no. You boost it's defence and attack, not sp atk. And I would be more afraid of fighting then of any other type. Since there are just a hadn full of special fighting types you might want to be the nature to be defensive.
learn to type in readable english >_>

I would have run the calcs as well but I was kinda asleep. First of all, Tyranitar can use Curse more than once and likely will. Second of all, you don't HAVE to take a STAB fighting attack since they're easy to predict. And for non-STAB, well, Tyranitar isn't 2HKO'd by Weavile Brick Break after a Curse.

Also, Payback v. Crunch is basically whether you're doing Shoddy or WiFi. Shoddy you may as well do Payback because the 20% defense drop apparently isn't programmed into Crunch. WiFi the possible defense drop can definitely outweigh Payback, especially because it can and will cause switches.

I'm a bit confused why you keep bringing up Weavile. You say that it can't 2HKO after a curse, which is almost true (46.04% - 54.21% after a Curse with Expret Belt neutral max attack Weavile according to MetalKid) but when's that going to happen? People probably aren't going to be switching Weavile in after you get a Curse in with even Crunch having a slight chance of 2HKOing and Stone Edge causing a complete skull implosion. If you switch into Weavile, and they stay in you get hit with 68.32% - 80.20%, with the same stuff as up there applied, you Curse, next turn, you die. Or, there's a switch from them, or a Stone Edge KO from you. Anyway you look at it, I don't see Weavile coming in on T-tar, much less one with a Curse up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)