SM OU THE POWER OF LOVE

z0mOG

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 26 Championis a defending SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
DPL Champion
yo
i decided before spl i wanted to make 2 more rmts, one after 4 weeks/during mids, and one sometime after week 9 - so here i am
i ended up only using 2 of my own teams so far, cuz i am an indecisive noob right before my games, (100% w/r with my own builds tho), so it was either this team or my week 2 team, and i think this one is a little more interesting.

process:

i wanted to go into my game with as solid of a team possible and avoid going for any "MU cheese" (volc, stall/veil ho etc.), so i started off with a core that i think is insanely strong rn. bulu greatly supports both heatran and kartana, as it provides easy healing + halved eqs for heatran, as well as giving kartana the leaf blade dmg boost which can be very useful vs things like lando, bold clef, toxapex. it also is a generally nice water/ground sponge so it fits defensively with the two

next, i opted for greninja to finish off the offensive FWG core, as well as give me speed control either by making it scarf or specs shuriken

mew had seemed like the optimal spot here as it could do a few things for me: #1, remove hazards fairly reliably, #2, be a blanket switch in for almost anything (particularly heatran, lucha, mag etc) without having to risk things like sending my own tran into other trans, and #3, give me a reliable lele answer (which is mandatory on every team btw)

i wasnt sure about what i wanted in the last slot. i was originally leaning more towards offensive z-fight bulu and something more defensive in the last slot, so i just lazily slapped on a helmet lando while considering other options, although this didnt rly make sense w/ the other 5. dice gave me the idea to use Z-rock lando (since i didnt need helm/lefties) to be able to break fat teams more easily and lure zapdos for kart/bulu, which also left me free to run av on bulu as my water answer.

i then scrambled it up to give different impressions on what my sets may be upon lead select:

(potentially offensive z mew, more likely slapped on specs ash gren, scarf lando or kart)

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 76 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Defog
there's not much to rly say about mew, as it is very simplistic in what it does. I had initially ev'd it with 188+ speed, to beat landot + things like adamant medi, but i decided that since i didnt have ice beam, it was less useful to have the speed than it was some extra sdef for lele/magearna/heatran. the current speed lets it still outrun neutral 95s (zyg lele kyub), and only loses to jolly lando-t. earth power is my only attack on this set because i needed a way to reliably hit heatran since greninja+my own tran are never reliably switching in. the last choice came down to wisp or ice beam, and i decided wisp was nicer for stalling out things like mlatios and more reliably beating the 2 fighting megas (medi lop).

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Spikes / Low Kick
choice scarf greninja is a really nice fit on this team as it provides very reliable speed control, always being able to stop things like volcarona from sweeping, as well as just being a decently hard hitting 1million speed uturn. i really liked the idea of uturn greninja into tran, as most teams will be forced to sack off their toxapex vs tran (and it is also the most common greninja switch in), or something else. 24 satk is to ensure the KO on kartana after rocks with ice beam. its possible to guarantee the OHKO from full with like 92 satk or something, but i felt that was too much attack to give up, especially considering how likely it is kartana finds a way to gets chipped vs this team (dual hazards, bulu). spikes was a last minute decision over low kick, and it is nice for luring that it is just like a 3 attack lorb/ebelt greninja rather than scarf, as well as keeping pressure up when uturn may not be the best move (which is rare lol). low kick is still nice for having a way to hit tran and being able to do a lot to kyub as well, so ill slash it in.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Protect
"magma storm is broken" - council. heatran is actually kinda broken though, especially when paired with uturn support from something like greninja that easily draws in what it wants to trap. magma/epower/taunt is standard and all 3 moves are pretty much irreplaceable on trap tran. the last move is what makes this set one of my favorites in USUM OU, which is protect. protect is incredibly useful for doing a few things: Scouting scarf lando (uturn eq or ice), scouting vs ttar (which is one of the more reliable tran answers) to see if they pursuit or attack w/ something more threatening, and stall out magma dmg while maximizing healing from lefties and grassy terrain. protect on tran is the difference in whether or not you can trap ttar from full on the switch, or take 75% from a pursuit on your way out. standard evs because i think max speed tran is a must, esp. for winning 1v1 speed ties vs other trans.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 76 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness
- Wood Hammer
av bulu is currently one of the most reliable water (ash gren) checks in OU, and the benefits the team receives from grassy terrain make it a must-have on a team like this. I already explained the benefit of terrain for tran and kartana earlier so i wont go over it again. the set is meant to outspeed max speed CB ttar while still hitting hard with 40 attack adamant. the moveset is the standard one with dual grass stabs to hit hard, superpower for kartana and heatran, and nature's madness to chip down things like magearna and celesteela easily. the only real room for change on this set would be a different attack, like rock slide/stone edge > superpower, but i dont see the point in that besides possibly chunking pinsir on an sd?

Kartana @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
kartana is broken as fuck. i wanted to try out a new item that wasn't z (originally considered z frustration as a zap/amoong lure, but didnt go through with it), and i (and neither hogg nor rey) came up with adrenaline orb. it's a really cool tech and it is able to punish people for using the best/most popular mon in the tier AKA lando. the 3 attacks are leaf blade as a go to stab, sacred sword is mainly for heatran and good neutrality vs most of the other steels in the tier (mag/cele/scizor/skarmory), and knock off in the last slot for hitting mega latis and maximizing damage vs the 2 go-to kartana answers in Amoong and Zapdos. my best suggestion for playing with adrenaline orb is find ways to get kart in vs lando, rather than hoping for lando to come in vs. kart, as it wont always happen.

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Def / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
last slot goes to the irreplaceable lando-t. as i said earlier, i opted for z-stone edge to compliment kartana in breaking fat teams and luring in zapdos. the evs (were) customized to always tank a +2 return from mega pinsir, but I ended up dropping about dropping 40 HP evs to be able to outspeed hoopa, gyarados, and netural 95s. the moveset is the standard z-rockium set with eq/stone edge as attacks, SD for boosting, and rocks for ROCKS. i have lando hidden in the back so it may give off the impression that its a slapped on defog-scarfer, 'mon placement being something i think goes overlooked a lot when building. lando-t should be suspected btw COUNCIL SUSPECT IT!!!!!!

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 76 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Defog

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 76 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness
- Wood Hammer

Kartana @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Def / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

weaknesses:
: shed shell pex is a little bit tricky, as it is able to evade being trapped by heatran and keep toxic spikes pressure up. toxic spikes are a little rough vs my team since i rely on mew to defog them away, otherwise i have to let my bulu and greninja get poisoned. non shed-shell is really not that bad because of how easy it is to get in tran vs most pex teams (and keep it alive with protect).

: opposing kartana can be a liiittle tricky, especially if i set up grassy terrain for them. greninja will be able to revenge kill it pretty reliably, but it just hits lando and mew so damn hard. scarf is a lot less problematic though, its pretty much only z (or ardenaline orb xd) that id struggle vs.

thats pretty much it. like i said in the very beginning, i just wanted to roll in with as solid of a team as possible without trying to use anything MU dependent / MU weak, and I think this team does a good job in only having 2 general issues (both are broken anyways lel)

replay(s): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-345777 me vs. Obliviate in SPL. ended up with a nice kartana sweep
will add more as my friends win in ost with it :)

2nd RMT will be out in roughly 6 weeks :)

s/os dice for lando set BTW BTW!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)