The Quiet and the Brave : Competitive TR

My best competitive build so far, counters many popular pokemons and VGC teams. The core consist of pokemon with good bulk and average or low speed to profit under trick room while being capable of enduring a couple of hits and striking with high attack stats. I think the team is very polivalent and I find myself winning most of the time with a bit of anticipation and prediction.

The Team

Porygon 2 @Eviolite

Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 Def/252 SpA/4SpD
Nature: Quiet
-Trick Room
-Ice Beam
-Tri Attack
-Recover

Porygon2 hold absolutly nothing from faking him out or taunting him. No problem, this duck-tank can take a lot of hits and hit hard so I can usualy predict a taunt and attack with Tri Attack or Ice Beam to take out or weaken an opponent while his partner do it's job. Otherwise it sets up TR and attack after. Recover and Eviolite make a nice pair and a recovery move is always profitable when predicting a protect.

Hariyama @Flame Orb

Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Atk/4SpD
Nature: Brave
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Fling
-Protect

Basic physical attacker who can fake out a taunter or a faster opponent while Porygon2 sets trick room up. Close Combat blasted from 558 Atk on the next turn is no joke, while Fling is used to surprise and burn a physical attacker with 100% accuracy.

Togekiss @Sitrus Berry

Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 216 HP/40 Def/252 HP
-Follow Me
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Roost

Tank or annoyer, Togekiss uses his bulk to endure attacks led toward him. He 60%flinch-rate the shit out of a dangerous foe while an ally switches, Spore or Burn a foe. Aura Sphere is for coverage and Roost helps getting rid of the flying weaknesses while restoring health.

Rotom-W @Wide Lens

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 60 Hp/252 SpA/196 SpD
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect

I know what you're really thinking : Wide Lens could be replaced by a better item. Actually I wanna give a sure shot with this team everytime I battle with it so I ensure I'm not getting screwed by hax or misses. Rotom's main purpose is to counter Fire and Flying types, plus neutralising rain abusers (bar Gastrodon who can be OHKO by Heatran and Breloom assuming no berry). Will-O-Wisp is an emergency move for unwanted physical attackers (I'm really upset about 'em).

Heatran @Air Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire
252 Hp/4 Def/252 SpA
-Eruption
-Hidden Power [Grass]
-Earth Power
-Protect

To be honest, Heatran can only take 2 hits before melting back in his pokeball. On the other hand, he can do farely well during the time he's on the battlefield. Stab Eruption helps my team getting rid of the popular Scizor while having to stay alert for Superpower. HP Grass is used for Rotom-W and Gastrodon who would wall him otherwise.

Breloom @Focus Sash

Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Atk/4 SpD
Nature: Brave
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seeds
-Protect

Breloom is my last pokemon but not the least. This forest soldier can take out threats such as rock type (Tyranitar) and water type with ease. The rest of the time, he spores opponents and try to avoid being hit because a single blow could send him hanging on a tiny focus sash.

Please tell me what could be improved on this team, wheter it's changing a move, an ev spread or a pokemon, I'm open minded and very competitive. I don't really know which pokemon I'll be having problems with so if you're thinking of a threat let me know. I'll enter the june edition of the International Challenge with it and I'm pretty confident.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Imo, i think that you should run Toxic Orb + Poison Heal on Breloom, and then replace Mach Punch with Drain Punch and replace Bullet Seed with Seed Bomb. This is because you are running bulk enough to survive some hits, so that it gets to live longer. Also, with Sand being so common (and Blizzspam at least more common than in singles) Sashed users without Sand / Hail immunity are not that good in my oppinion for the VGC metagame.

You should also consider setting up your pokemon like this:

(example of an image)
(Pokemon) @ (Item)
Trait: (Ability)
EVs: 252 (Stat) / 252 (Stat) / 4 (Stat)
(The pokemon's nature) Nature
IVs: 0 Spe (On all pokes hopefully, since this is a Trick Room team)
and then the moveslots which you listed fine.

This is because I cannot see which Natures you are running, which could help a lot for people trying to rate your team.

Another little finetuning I would try out is Shuca Berry over Air Balloon on Heatran. This is because outside taking Ground and Fighting hits, Heatran is very good at sponging obvious Fake Outs, Ice Beams, Extremespeeds etc. with it's awesome defensive typing. This will allow you to live many Ground type attacks, and yet still being able to switch into it's resisted moves.

Hope I could help, and if you could list Abilities, and possibly even Pictures of the pokemon, I think the layout would be easier for other users to rate :]

So I made this little box to show you how to find the animated sprites like the Landorus I posted up there. ^

First of all, you go to this site = Animated Gen 5 Sprites

You then browse for the pokemon you want to find from which gen, and you can also see it's shiny form, it's back sprite and it's shiny back sprite.

^ You then right click on the pokemon you want to use (sorry i have my browser set to Danish) and you click whatever the right click says in english that should be something like Copy Linkadress i think.

Then you go back to your post, click the box that looks like a picture of some mountains, and then you Paste the URL that you just copied. After that, the picture should come up :]

blablabla
Thanks for the advice, I posted from my portable phone so I couldn't make it really esthetic.

The problem with Breloom is that even with Poison Heal and 252Hp, it can't take a strong hit like Ice Beam, Flamethrower or a Flying-Type attack. With Focus Sash on, he can take one of these while still be capable of putting a pokemon to sleep before fainting. Plus, technician-boosted Mach Punch gives him a chance of attacking when Trick Room is off, while Bullet Seeds can be alot stronger than Seed Bomb, breaking through a Substitute or a Sash. Sure thing is I gotta watch for Sandstorm and Hail teams, which I usualy don't have problems with.

I'll try the Shuca Berry on Heatran, I think it could allow it to stay longer than with Air Baloon. Thank you!

Replace Eruption to Heat Wave in Heatran and chage the nature to Modest
Heatran with Shuca only work with a good ev spread and this is a personal advice
You can switch Hp Grass for WoW in Rotom and put Subtitute in Heatran or only change HP Grass in Heatran for Subtitute

I think you should replace Rotom-Wash with Jellicent.Why because it provides another Trick Room user on your team,and it has immunity to fake out also.Here is the Set:

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Water Spout / Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Protect / Ice beam / Will-O-Wisp

Hope I helped.

I think you should replace Rotom-Wash with Jellicent.
Rotom works better because of his greater defense and Special Attak stats, the purpose of this team is to be an all-out attacker while tanking couple of hits.

Thanks for the help tho, anyone thinking of a major threat or is this well balanced?

I know you said you don't want to ever miss with Rotom-Wash and I respect that. But on the whole missing once or twice every now and again but being able to hit harder or survive longer is on the whole much better. I would recommend Stealth Rock on Heatran as your team is lacking this essential tool, throw a Rapid Spinner in there as well (I recommend Donphan because that means you can have both Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock, its slow which fits your team well and Heatran doesn't need Stealth rock that way).

Actually MathTS, some of you're Pokemon are a little too fast for Trick Room.

In VGC a lot of Pokemon will out speed your Rotom-W and Togekiss under Trick Room which can back fire on you. I'm going to recommend Trick Room Jellicent because it can provide your team with immunity to fake out and fighting types.Jellicent still provides you with its STAB water type moves just like Rotom-W, but you now have 2 Trick Room users. Having only one Trick Room user isn't recommend for your team as you will be constantly switching back and forth into Porygon2 which will wear him down and ultimately your opponent KOing him. I recommend that having 2 Trick Room users should be the minimum in VGC, while 3 should be the max.
Here is the set for Jellcent:

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Water Spout / Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Protect / Ice beam / Will-O-Wisp

Having Hidden Power Grass on Heatran is redundant as you already have Breloom to counter Rotom-W, Gastrodon, and other water types. So I recommend you switching to Hidden Power Ice to hit the dragon and flying types. You're team struggles against Dragon types so Hidden Power Ice can greatly help your team.

Now Breloom should be your all out sweeper under Trick Room. I recommend the Swords Dance Breloom set. With the +2 boost your Breloom you'll be sweeping past your opponent's team. Also when Trick Room is over you still priorty with Mach Punch. You'll be able to pick off faster Pokemon with your +2 MAch Punch to deal big damage.
Here is the set I recommend:

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
Spore
Swords Dance
Bullet Seed
Mach Punch

Smaller Nitpicks:

252 Def/252 SpA/4SpD ===> 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Hidden Power Grass ====> Hidden Power Ice

Focus Sash ====> Life Orb Set

====>

Hoped I helped and good luck with your team. If you have any questions, concerns, or want me to elaborate more feel free to PM me.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would recommend Stealth Rock on Heatran as your team is lacking this essential tool, throw a Rapid Spinner in there as well (I recommend Donphan because that means you can have both Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock, its slow which fits your team well and Heatran doesn't need Stealth rock that way).
No, this is doubles. No one in their right mind should use entry hazards in doubles, since the metagame is much too fast paced, and very few switches are made. Therefore both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin are a complete waste of moveslot, waste of a pokemon slot and waste of turns if you actually want to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)