The Rage of Wikipedia Scholars itt

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
itt post comments about people not understanding the whole SOPA ordeal. I understand this thread will not have a very long lifespan but some of this is gold and deserves its own thread.

What does Wikipedia have against SOAP?

THERE'S NO WIKIPEDIA FOR 24 HOURS OMG WHAT IS THIS, WHAT IF THEY GET RID OF IT FOREVER O

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CLOSE DOWN WIKIPEDIA WHEN IVE GOT ABOUT A MILLION ESSAYS DUE

This guy knows where it's at.

@herpderpedia is doing some wonderful work but if you find any facebook gold from friends and other places be sure to post.

EDIT: Hi this is a thread to display reactions of silly people not debate over using wikipedia in high school god.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
http://youropenbook.org/?q=wikipedia&gender=any

Also:

"Is it still possible to access Wikipedia in any way?

Yes. During the blackout, Wikipedia is accessible on mobile devices and smart phones. You can also view Wikipedia normally by disabling JavaScript in your browser, as explained on this Technical FAQ page. Our purpose here isn't to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it's okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message."

Also you can just hit stop/escape before the black screen happens and you can access any page or just use Google Cache. Still, it is hilarious to see all the people who are freaking out.

My school does not accept wikipedia as a source..
I don't get that so many schools do however accept it.

Why not? It's great for getting basic information on something. it shouldn't be your main source on a paper, but it's still fine for the reason i already mentioned.

i have never heard of any school that allows wikipedia as a source for anything

this does not prevent it from being most students' primary source of research even if they dont credit it that way in their papers

i have never heard of any school that allows wikipedia as a source for anything

this does not prevent it from being most students' primary source of research even if they dont credit it that way in their papers
This. Even in High School wikipedia wasn't allowed as a source.

Yeah, my professors detest Wikipedia. One of them would fail you for citing it more than twice. It's not bad if you use certain texts, and then back that up with more research to prove that it's true. But using the whole article is silly.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
that guy neha. seems pretty lazy.
I dunno, man, notes?

Google did the same, though, they didn't black out searches.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
lol just because wikipedia isn't allowed as a source doesnt mean people dont use it

marijuana isnt ALLOWED, but that doesnt stop 75% of high schoolers from using it

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You are not using Wikipedia correctly if you don't understand how it's used in most students' research.

In 11th grade, my teacher was using this plagiarism checker to make sure we didn't just copy paragraphs from websites on this one project. To explain how it worked, she got a student in the class to use his old paper from another class as an example. It turns out, half of the paper was copied directly from Wikipedia.

And the easiest way to get around not using Wikipedia as a source is to just click the links on the page to other sites. Although, on the project I was talking about, we were only allowed to use two web sources in the entire thing unless they were online copies of actual books/magazines.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
just don't reference wikipedia, reference the citation that wikipedia leeched the information from.

anyway im sure there's a fascinating insight into the effect that wikipedia is having on education in here somewhere. do kids not use good ol' fashioned books anymore?

i tried to use it for my homework today and forgot all about the blackout. luckily, google exists.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just don't reference wikipedia, reference the citation that wikipedia leeched the information from.

anyway im sure there's a fascinating insight into the effect that wikipedia is having on education in here somewhere. do kids not use good ol' fashioned books anymore?
Consdering most students start their papers after the library is closed the night before it's due...

Google Scholar + links out of Wikipedia got me through school.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
if you are honestly a student that doesnt use wikipedia for assignments then you are just creating a huge obstacle for yourself that is just totally unnecessary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)