VGC The Return Of G-Max Hatterene

Sole Survivor

Sepia-toned memories
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello, everybody. This is my first time posting here, and my first team report for that matter, so I apologise if this post feels too noobish (also the last post I made was accidental and I was frantically searching for the delete button but couldn't lol, sorry). Recently, I've been trying out all kinds of teams but not all of them suit me. I started playing VGC this April, somewhere around Series 3. And in my fourth month of VGC, i.e, August, I made it over 1600 in Series 5 with Adi Subramanian's Comfey-Goodra team. The reason I mention this is because the highest I've hit in Series 7 so far is 1469, a huge disappointment after my previous feat. Then, at last, I tried this hard trick room team. Also I was looking at some of the Marks in Sw/Sh, so I nicknamed all my Pokemon after them (also I named some Pokemon with their roles on the team :D).

The Team

Get the importable version of the team here!

HattTheWellGuarded (Hatterene-Gmax) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Expanding Force
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room

One of the two Trick Room setters of the team. Its spread is the simplest, just maximizing bulk and power. It fits extremely well with Indeedee because of Indeedee's Psychic Terrain because of nigh uncounterable redirection, ability to use Expanding Force in Trick Room and immunity to Fake Out. I don't have protect on this set for Celesteela as there have been some games in which Torkoal only really countered Celesteela so I couldn't bring it. The Helping Hand Max Flares always seemed to surprise unsuspecting opponents who switched in their fairy weak pokemon into Celesteela only to take a Max Flare and faint.

IndeedeeTheChosen1 (Indeedee-F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 29 Spe
- Expanding Force
- Helping Hand
- Follow Me
- Protect

One of the staple members of the team. It has 29 Speed IVs to underspeed all non-invested Rillaboom by one point so that they don't fake out Hatterene if they win the terrain war. Focus Sash was the best item for it in testing and is completely invested in physical defense because this meta is a lot more physical than special. It can still take non-boosted Venusaur hits, though. It also helps save Dusclops from banded Urshifu-Single Strike's onslaughts.

Clops The Immortal (Dusclops) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Haze
- Night Shade
- Brick Break

The backup Trick Room setter. I originally had a Stakataka in its place but it was so bad in this team composition because steel types that beat Hatterene also wall Stakataka and I only brought it to one game, so I decided to replace it. Dusclops counters both of Glastrier's checks, Intimidate and Reflect with the surreal combination of Haze and Brick Break and the best thing is that it doesn't nerf Glastrier because it is slower than Glastrier, thus allowing it to move before Glastrier in Trick Room and Haze away the defense boosts and attack drops and Glastrier can immediately get a Max Knuckle or Quake off. Alternatively, it can go for a Brick Break to break opposing Reflects and allow Glastrier to get its normal damage off. It also helps this team against the dangerous Calm Mind Tapu Fini, which really annoys Hatterene.

GlasTheArrogant (Glastrier) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower
- Protect

Rightly called one of the most cancerous Trick Room abusers by many, but I still take pride in using it :P. Again, I do not think I need to explain this set, standard moveset and EV spread, maximizing bulk and power.

TorkoalTheParched (Torkoal) (M) @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

The piece needed to beat steel types in case Hatterene faints. Again, standard set and EVs. Also beats would-be Trick Room check Nihilego, who can reverse it with its own Trick Room after an Earth Power. It also beats sash Trick Room Nihilego after a double-up from any other team member.

RillaTheFiniSlayer (Rillaboom) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Shiny: Yes
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Atk / 76 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
- High Horsepower

Calm Mind Fini setting up on the turn when Hatterene sets up Trick Room makes it extremely hard to KO. I originally had a Venusaur on this team for Sun-Room but I only brought it one game since Trick Room is the main mode for the team. Banded Rillaboom, however, hard counters this as well as Dynamax Tapu Fini, as shown by the calc below:
116+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 236 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Tapu Fini: 264-312 (75.4 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (this is the standard amount of investment that Tapu Fini has in HP and defense.) Banded Rillaboom also helps vs the occasional rain teams, against which it happily spams Grassy Glide, or Wood Hammer in Trick Room.

All in all, I think this is a very strong team and the only Pokémon I've ever considered removing is Hatterene to improve the Incineroar matchup but I think having added Dusclops now is just fine. Further suggestions to improve this team would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)