SM UU The Roaring Waves of Suicune ( Peaked #1 on UU Ladder, 95.5% GXE, 2003 ELO)

steelix-mega.gif
blissey.gif
cresselia.gif
mandibuzz.gif
quagsire.gif
suicune.gif

Introduction:
Here's my Roar Suicune Stall that I used to climb the UU ladder up to the number 1 spot. It features Mega Steelix, Blissey, Cresselia, Mandibuzz, Quagsire, and Suicune. Hope you enjoy the team :].

Proof of Peak:
USUM UU Roarring Suicune Ladder peak.jpeg

Peaked #1 on UU Ladder

The Team:
steelix-mega.gif

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

I decided to use Mega Steelix as this teams stealth rocker as it provided me with a good way to handle the Scizor + Mega Manectric core. Although they both have the ability to hit steelix super effectively with Superpower and Flamethrower/Overheat respectively, with the already incredible physical defense and the Max HP, Max special defense EV spread, Mega steelix is able to take those hits and deal a tremendous amount of damage back with Earthquake. The moves are fairly standard with the stealth rocks and dual stab, and rest allows for Steelix to more reliably work as a wall as well as take advantage of the Aroma Therapy support provided by Blissey. Steelix is also this team's way of beating the stall breaker Togekiss set.

blissey.gif

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy

Blissey is an obvious addition to all stall teams and this is not an exception. Blissey acts the teams main Special wall and provides the team with aroma therapy support to heal off any status ailments that has been inflicted on the team as well as allows Suicune and Mega Steelix to click rest and then heal off the sleep without having to wait the full 2 turns. The moves and EV spread is just the standartd set except I decided to put the extra 8 EVs into speed in order to win the speed tie against other Blisseys.

cresselia.gif

Cresselia @ Fairium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Psychic

Cresselia is an integral part of this team as it allows the team to check powerful threats such as Cobalion, Infernape and Terrakion to name a few. The EV spread allows it to take hits from the aforementioned Pokemon as well as out speed hige threats to this team such as Crawdaunt and Choice band Bewear. Although Bewear is uncommon, without this cresselia spread, it proves to be devastating to this team. I decided to use Farium Z as the item because it can now ohko Crawdaunt and hydreigon, as well as be able to 1v1 Krookodile.

mandibuzz.gif

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Defog

Mandibuzz is mainly on this team as the defogger. It also gives this team a Pokemon capable of using knock off which I believe is crucial to any stall teams as it allows you to get rid of leftovers, life orbs, Choice bands etc. The EV spread allows it to switch in decently well to special attackers such as hydreigon and latias and then knock something off recover whatever HP it lost with roost. The speed allows it to outspeed max speed Adamant Crawdaunt which is useful because it allows it to either knock off its item, or get a tremendous amount of damage off after the crawdaunt has clicked swords dance by using foul play.

quagsire.gif

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Much like Blissey, Quagsire was an obvious addition to this Stall team as it serves as an answer to many of the physical set up Pokemon like Mega Altaria, Bisharp, Komoo-o etc. The moves and EVs are just the standard smogon set because I believe it to be the best set available to stall. There really is not much more to say other than emphasize again that its ability to nullify set up sweepers that would threaten stall teams proves to be a very valuable addition to this team.

suicune.gif

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Roar

On this team Suicune serves a huge role. That role is that it can single handedly dismantle other stall teams. With pressure, it can effectively PP stall things trying to beat it down while also being able to continuously set up if the opponent decides to constantly switch out instead of attacking in hopes of trying to PP stall Suuicine. Roar is a big part of this set as it allows the team to beat opposing Suicune and Reuniclus by denying them set up, while also slowly dwindling their PP away by forcing them to attack Suicune. Roar also allows Suicune to deny wish passing into any particular Pokemon, which helps the Stall or fat Balance match up. The Ev spread ensures that it lives 5 seismic tosses with leftovers and 4 in the case leftovers are knocked off. This allows it to always set up 1 or 2 Calm minds vs. Blissey before being forced to click rest. The speed allows it to out speed max speed adamant crawdaunt, which at the very least means it can fish for a scald burn. All in all Suicune helps this team beat the match ups that may be harder to beat with out it.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/8c5cd7f203b74366

Attachments

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Yo, this is a pretty cool idea for a stall team but the role compression is just kinda odd and messy. I think it can be effective to a certain extent but another big thing is no wish, wish is something that's pretty essential on stall to keep the squad healthy. On top of this there's a few suboptimal and just kinda meh mons like Cresselia and Mandibuzz being used. It can work, but it's sort of messy. Let's see if we can fix some of these issues.

- So the first thing I did was do Slowbro > Cresselia. Honestly this frees up a lot of shit because with a set that's good vs. stall, it makes Suicune sort of redundant as well and it compresses the roles of both of them nicely, giving the team an open slot. Slowbro simply outclasses Cress as a fighting resist and it also gives you a pivot with Regen, Regen is busted u_u. The set I mentioned before is block + toxic + rest set, it 1v1s Blissey + Alo + Quag core handily by stalling it out w/ Toxics.
Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Block
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

- Articuno is a cool choice on stall because of it's ability to act as hazard removal + cleric with Heal Bell in the same slot. The reason I used it here is because it gives Blissey the freedom to run a set w/o Heal Bell... in this case Wish. The team has no wish support, and that's a pretty big deal. Fitting Alo is next to impossible so that leaves Blissey as the only option... the thing that complicated that was needing to lose Heal Bell. Articuno in the free slot gives Blissey the freedom to run wish n_n.
Articuno @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Roost
- Heal Bell

- Hydreigon > Mandibuzz because Hydreigon is just the better defogger and ghost resist on stall for several reasons. 1) It handles Chandelure significantly better due to it's resistance to fire 2) It's faster and can actually sort of ish revenge kill Heracross 3) It's a good Crawdaunt answer. Set is pretty standard.
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Defog
- Roost

Smaller changes:
- As mentioned before the Blissey set will be changed to a Wish set, I went with Protect > Softboiled mainly because of the Scizor matchup being so shaky, it relies too heavily on Quagsire which means CB Scizor specifically can be annoying.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Defog
- Roost

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Bold Nature
- Block
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Roost
- Heal Bell

That's it, I think this is a much more optimal variant of the team and it's pretty fun w/ a few tests too. I think Scizor matchup is a little rough as stated before but it's far from undoable, just might take some scouting and 50/50s n shit. SD Scizor should be fine considering you have Quagsire. Regardless I think this is all g, lmk if you have any questions or anything, gl and I hope this helped!

Yo, this is a pretty cool idea for a stall team but the role compression is just kinda odd and messy. I think it can be effective to a certain extent but another big thing is no wish, wish is something that's pretty essential on stall to keep the squad healthy. On top of this there's a few suboptimal and just kinda meh mons like Cresselia and Mandibuzz being used. It can work, but it's sort of messy. Let's see if we can fix some of these issues.

- So the first thing I did was do Slowbro > Cresselia. Honestly this frees up a lot of shit because with a set that's good vs. stall, it makes Suicune sort of redundant as well and it compresses the roles of both of them nicely, giving the team an open slot. Slowbro simply outclasses Cress as a fighting resist and it also gives you a pivot with Regen, Regen is busted u_u. The set I mentioned before is block + toxic + rest set, it 1v1s Blissey + Alo + Quag core handily by stalling it out w/ Toxics.
Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Bold Nature
- Block
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

- Articuno is a cool choice on stall because of it's ability to act as hazard removal + cleric with Heal Bell in the same slot. The reason I used it here is because it gives Blissey the freedom to run a set w/o Heal Bell... in this case Wish. The team has no wish support, and that's a pretty big deal. Fitting Alo is next to impossible so that leaves Blissey as the only option... the thing that complicated that was needing to lose Heal Bell. Articuno in the free slot gives Blissey the freedom to run wish n_n.
Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Roost
- Heal Bell

- Hydreigon > Mandibuzz because Hydreigon is just the better defogger and ghost resist on stall for several reasons. 1) It handles Chandelure significantly better due to it's resistance to fire 2) It's faster and can actually sort of ish revenge kill Heracross 3) It's a good Crawdaunt answer. Set is pretty standard.
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Defog
- Roost

Smaller changes:
- As mentioned before the Blissey set will be changed to a Wish set, I went with Protect > Softboiled mainly because of the Scizor matchup being so shaky, it relies too heavily on Quagsire which means CB Scizor specifically can be annoying.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Defog
- Roost

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Bold Nature
- Block
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Roost
- Heal Bell

That's it, I think this is a much more optimal variant of the team and it's pretty fun w/ a few tests too. I think Scizor matchup is a little rough as stated before but it's far from undoable, just might take some scouting and 50/50s n shit. SD Scizor should be fine considering you have Quagsire. Regardless I think this is all g, lmk if you have any questions or anything, gl and I hope this helped!
Hey there, thanks for the rate and suggestions. I agree with most things except I believe a better move to put in the articuno would be haze over heal bell and let's the blissey stay as is. By giving it haze and enough speed to outspeed max speed togekiss, it will be able to act as a direct counter that can't be flinched down. It would also give me some way to handle reuniclus without relying on focus blast to miss. Furthermore I still think that Mandibuzz is better because my matchup vs. Nidoking with Superpower becomes a lot worse if I forgo both cresselia and Mandibuzz as Mandibuzz can atleast wall it granted that rocks are not up and then proceed to knock it off.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there, thanks for the rate and suggestions. I agree with most things except I believe a better move to put in the articuno would be haze over heal bell and let's the blissey stay as is. By giving it haze and enough speed to outspeed max speed togekiss, it will be able to act as a direct counter that can't be flinched down. It would also give me some way to handle reuniclus without relying on focus blast to miss. Furthermore I still think that Mandibuzz is better because my matchup vs. Nidoking with Superpower becomes a lot worse if I forgo both cresselia and Mandibuzz as Mandibuzz can atleast wall it granted that rocks are not up and then proceed to knock it off.
The whole point of doing heal bell on Articuno is to be able to run wish on blissey. Stall without wish is something you simply shouldn't be running. If you're gonna run Haze Articuno w/ no heal bell... just run Mantine, but I suggested Articuno because it'd give you wish on a team that needs wish desperately.

The whole point of doing heal bell on Articuno is to be able to run wish on blissey. Stall without wish is something you simply shouldn't be running. If you're gonna run Haze Articuno w/ no heal bell... just run Mantine, but I suggested Articuno because it'd give you wish on a team that needs wish desperately.
Ah, I see. I suppose that Steelix does not need to run rest if it has wish support via blissey, which opens up that slot for something else. I will definitely try out the suggested changes and see how they work out, but i'm always hesitant to run a blissey without softboiled, so maybe I'll just run softboiled over protect and try to play around scizor without the protect to scout. Once again thanks for the suggestions :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)