Project The sixth annual Secret Santa!

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
:delibird: Signups and Submissions :delibird:

Extra, extra! Read all about it! This year marks PU's largest turn out for Secret Santa with 40 signups. In comparison, last year had 33 signups. I express my deepest gratitude to all those who have signed up and made this project a success. In the next few days, I'll be private messaging each of you the Secret Santa request for you to partake in the festive celebration of giving a gift your match won't forget.

For those who have yet submitted their requests, please get them to me as soon as possible.

On a more serious note, users who fail to post a team without a valid reason will be precluded from participating in the next years Secret Santa. This rule was implemented last year and we had a 100% turnover rate.

Thank you and please enjoy these videos to get you in the festive spirit.

Merry Christmas 5Dots, I was your secret santa. You requested Trick Room, so I naturally thought of using one of my favorite mons, Perrserker. It's a Durant to me(pure damage) but has a somewhat bad movepool, no dual STAB and mediocre speed.
:perrserker: :jellicent: :vikavolt: :whimsicott: :mesprit: :octillery: (click on sprites for paste and pretend there is choice band for Perrserker and choice specs for Vikavolt, I tried to include slashes and there was no sprite, I just could not accept it.) (The item choice is yours btw, pick your poison. It's either not getting satisfaction but easier to play as there are no mandatory 50/50s or getting satisfaction but WAY harder to play against someone with game sense.)

I started to build around CB Perrserker, the pokemon who could give satisfaction as I only need to spam Iron Head and thats it. It's also my first TR abuser. (Disregard Togedemaru and Ferroseed I don't wanna use Torkoal or Turtonator in replace of the Water Spout/Surf spamming chad.) Jellicent serves as my first Trick Room setter and my overall defensive core with Whimsicott (don't laugh) and Mesprit. The set deals with Charizard pretty well and can spread burns with Scald and Will-O-Miss (can be changed to Toxic imo and I'M NOT RAGING AT HOW MANY TIMES I MISS THIS FREAKING MOVE, change it to 100% acc PLS.) No item is for luring Poltergeist users like Runerigus, Froslass, Shedinja, Gourgeist forms and Dusknoir and hit them with the burn. The Defense EV's are for living two Archeops' Stone Edge or something like that. Vikavolt is my mediocre Sandaconda switch in(due to Stone Edge/Rock Slide and my second TR abuser. The fourth slot can be anything but Vikavolt has a pretty mediocre movepool so I decided on Energy Ball as it can be useful to lure your favorite blob in. (Guess it yourself and I think that is a blob, not sorry.) Whimsicott serves as my second TR setter and overall support by removing hazards for the team or by using Memento, Knock Off, Encore, Taunt etc. (I think Whimsicott MANDATES Synthesis as EVERY Grass type should learn Synthesis, change my mind.) Mesprit is my third and final TR Setter and also overall support with SR and Healing Wish. Fire Punch is for luring Ferroseed as MESPRIT DOES NOT LEARN FIRE BLAST COME ON. Mesprit is a freaking Spirit and it should get special treatment by GF but nope, reality is often sad. At this point I did not know what to put so I thought... And the idea came, why not use Octillery? I can finally fulfill my dreams of Water Spout Spamming because Jellicent could not do it due to being a TR Setter. :psycry: The third and fourth slots can be changed for anything as Octillery has a surprisingly good movepool. Energy Ball, Fire Blast, Psychic, Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave and Ice Beam. I went with Fire Blast/Flamethrower and Psychic to lure Ferroseed and Weezing. (Surf already does alot in my mental calc maybe change to Energy Ball for Jellicent.)

I hope you find this gimmicky ass team fun!

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
happy holidays everyone! here's my gift to zS: sub nasty plot rotom with hex + toxic spikes! this team went through 4 iterations before i finally had one i was mostly happy with.
:rotom:
i started with rotom with a bit of a wonky ev spread. i opted for 224 speed evs with timid to hit 301 speed, which allows it to outpace any unboosted hitmonlee (300), as i didnt think that the full 252 to hit 306 was all that necessary. 60 evs went into hp just to hit a lefties number, and the remainder was dumped into spatk. you could totally go max/max though no problem

:weezing:
next came tspikes, and weezing seemed like the most obvious choice. i opted for neutralizing gas over levitate because of rotom's levitate, and gas + will-o + taunt can help beat down shed skin bulk up scrafty, which can 1v1 rotom with ease. tspike + will-o are both great for spreading status for hex rotom. i chose rocky helmet for chip + because of the next mon's wish support, but black sludge will also work i think since i didnt slot pain split. 44 speed evs is for outpacing uninvested base 65s + the rare alcremie when uninvested

:togedemaru:
toge adds the aforementioned wish support, a spdef mon, and synergizes well with rotom and weezing due to its weaknesses to fighting and ground. spiky shield is also nice for adding chip vs physical attackers, racking up poison damage, passive recovery with lefties, and healing with wish. nice for psychic-type moves aimed at weezing too and for the next mon's weaknesses

:druddigon:
i was looking weak to zard so i added this cool drud ive been trying out in previous versions of the team. it adds rocks and speed control with glare, which also is nice for rotom's hex. i chose dragon tail to phase out setup mons + get chip damage with rocks + potentially spread more poison to facilitate a rotom sweep, but i could totally see dragon claw working for power, or even non-stab coverage like thunder punch or iron head. rough skin is the preferred ability to add to the chip damage throughout a match, but you could opt for mold breaker i suppose to bypass something like levitate weezing, vikavolt, and rotom with eq, or the very niche hattrem to get up rocks. the spread outspeeds uninvested base 50s and avoids a 2hko from max spatk timid charizard's hurricane after lefties. synergizes greatly with toge, resisting fire while toge resists dragon, fairy, and ice for it

:ribombee:
i dont remember why specifically i chose bee here, but ive been loving this set so much recently. mono-moonblast is so potent rn, with roost + aroma adding to its longevity, as well as the latter providing cleric support for the team. given spread always lives an unboosted max attack jolly silvally's multi-attack as long as it's not super effective while maximizing spatk and still outspeeding whimsicott. you could also go 8 hp/48 def/200 spatk/252 speed timid if you wanted the speed over the power while still meeting the vally benchmark

:hitmontop:
finally i needed a spinner and a physically offensive mon (toge + drud were physically oriented but defensive builds). i wanted to go tsar at first, and knock was really attractive on it to make sure mons were taking rocks + tspikes by removing boots. i ended up choosing top though for more speed control for the team with mach punch since i didnt slot a scarfer. tsar also would have added another zard weakness to the team, whereas top is ev'ed to be faster than it at +1 and can dent it with technician-boosted triple axel if you get 3 hits. also has the added benefit of being faster than max speed modest specs jellicent, so if thats something you want to beat you can opt for thief or brutal swing over cc to do so

i hope you enjoy the team zS, and all those who wanna try it out, and happy holidays to everyone who celebrates! :psyglad:

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Merry Christmas fish sticks cat ! I was your Secret Santa and built your request around Frosmoth. Frosmoth was a really cool setup sweeper with Ice Scales + a nifty Ice/Bug offensive typing. I went through a couple of versions in case you wanted to see some of my earlier drafts. Click the sprites to see the links to the teams!
V1 (Weather Ball Rock Frosmoth + speed): :Frosmoth: :Gigalith: :Mesprit: :Scyther: :Lanturn: :Whimsicott:
I originally began with a balanced approach. Frosmoth was the standard Quiver Dance Sweeper set: With a proper U-Turn or Volt Switch from Mesprit or Lanturn, Frosmoth can set up against Palossand, Tangela, and Weezing switching out. At +1, it outspeeds nearly the entire unboosted PU meta save from Ribombee and the niche Jolteon/Accelgors on the ladder. Gigalith‘s Sand Stream would provide Frosmoth a way to lure Centiskorch, Charizard, and Magmortar looking to stomach a +1 Ice Beam via Weather Ball Rock. Mesprit would provide pivoting capabilities with U-Turn and chose a Choice Scarf for Speed Control and would annoy stall-oriented teams with Trick. I chose Shadow Ball to better hit opposing Mesprit and Jellicent. I chose 192 Speed EVs alongside Modest to outspeed Jolly Tsareena at +1 after a Rapid Spin among other Pokemon, like Scarf Poliwrath and Magneton. Scyther provides a secondary wincon with Swords Dance and compiles a VoltTurn core with Mesprit, and provides a much needed Knock Off to cripple Pokemon reliant on items. Lanturn provides the "Volt" to VoltTurn and I decided to put 136 EVs to get the jump on Adamant Aggron and Perrserker. Whimsicott rounds out the team by providing a secondary form of Speed Control with Heavy-Duty Boots, as I wanted to annoy bulkier teams further with its wide utility movepool with Encore and provides emergency hazard removal with Defog. I feel this team struggles in terms of bulk and needs smart double-switching and prediction in order to make the most of Frosmoth.

V2 (Crustle and Silvally-Fairy): :Frosmoth: :Crustle: :Silvally: (Fairy) :Scyther: :Lanturn: :Whimsicott:
I felt that Gigalith’s Sand Stream, while enabling Frosmoth to have a better answer against Charizard, Centiskorch, and Magmortar, this cut into the rest of the team’s longevity. Crustle ended up being my next choice, which had some unique perks going for it: A not-too-shabby combination of EdgeQuake to blow away lead Charizards, standard Aggrons, and Magneton, while also possessing a nifty Sturdy to guarantee it sets up Rocks. I initially had Shell Smash + Stealth Rock for role compression, though I felt Spikes over SS would be better to wear down the team more over the course of a game. Silvally-Fairy had the role of a Knock Off absorber and could pivot into Gallade and Scrafty reliably. I chose to modify Lanturn's EVs again to 68 Speed EVs, with the purpose of Toxic/Scalding a Claydol before it can use Rapid Spin.

V3 (and my current one!): :Frosmoth: :Archeops: :Silvally: (Ghost) :Scyther: :Lanturn: :Whimsicott:
Crustle was a nice dual hazard suicide lead, but I wanted a hazard setter with more offensive presence and speed to boot. Enter Archeops with a mammoth 140 Attack and 3 nifty moves for the Lead slot. With Taunt + Endeavor, I would be able to put a stop to slower hazard setters like Claydol and Ferroseed (leaving them very vulnerable to Endeavor when they attack) and ruin offensive setters like Rhydon and Aggron. If Archeops faced off against Gigalith or Regirock, I'd usually switch out to give Archeops some momentum later in the game in order to prevent 50-50s, but sometimes I can set up Rocks first to ensure Archeops does its job no matter what. I replaced Silvally-Fairy with Silvally-Ghost, as GhostVally was necessary to prevent Stealth Rock (and Spikes) from being cleared by opposing Hitmontop, Tsareena, and Claydol. GhostVally also sported a better Togedemaru matchup to become neutral rather than weak to Iron Head. I chose Substitute rather than Rock Slide to evade status from slower walls like Claydol, Ferroseed, and Gigalith. Lanturn covered Charizard anyways, and I decided to not give it Speed EVs at all and just roll with a physically defensive set. Whimsicott's set aims to now cripple the opposition, but instead of using Defog and Knock Off, I wanted to make it an attacker as well with Choice Specs. I feel Specs is nice to prevent DD Scrafty from getting out of hand and can serve as an emergency revenge killer against Sneasel and Froslass (with the latter needing some minor chip). Frosmoth and Scyther were still the same-old same-old sets and still performed excellently!

And here is a replay featuring Frosmoth cleaning up late-game with the help of its teammates!

Hope you enjoy the team and merry Christmas! It was really fun and refreshing to build upon one of my favorite sweepers.

By the way this thing is even more lethal in ZU i can't stop it from QD'ing me at +1 all over the place

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Who would've thought I'd get my bestie Bag of Trixx as my Secret Santa request? Anyway, here's a team made around Hail, specifically with Abomasnow! Click the team for the pokepaste, and happy holidays!

Originally, I wanted to try a funky slow Eject Pack Abomasnow that was able to pivot after setting up an Aurora Veil but it didn't end up working like I wanted it to, so I went with a more standard set. I don't remember what the exact EV spread was for (I think Expulso just posted it in one of our PUWC chats). Regirock is there to take advantage against Gigalith that would likely attempt to switch into Abomasnow to change the weather and take its special attacks. Alolan Sandslash does Alolan Sandslash things and is the premier Slush Rush sweeper in the tier. It doesn't have to be Rapid Spin in the last slot if you happen to want Steel coverage and Defog could possibly be slotted on Silvally which we'll get to later. Ribombee is a really decent Fighting-type check and works well considering the other three members at this point were weak to it. It also works well paired with Abomasnow's Aurora Veil, allowing it to set up Quiver Dances more safely. Silvally-Ghost acts as another Fighting-type check as well as another sweeper under Aurora Veil. It helps break through things like Jellicent that would usually put a damper on Snowslash's sweep, as well as softening up Steel-types for Ribombee. As I mentioned, you can easily swap out U-turn for Defog if you want more coverage on Snowslash but U-turn has come in handy for me several times. Wishiwashi is smacked on the end as a Fire-resistant pivot and general specially defensive mon. It helps to check Charizard and also helps wear down other Pokemon for the sweepers to then take advantage of.

edit: I will also say I have heavily considered using Heavy-Duty Boots on Snowslash due to how worn down it can get by rocks but I'm not sure if the power drop is worth it

Last edited:

Team Rocket Here is your Perr + Jelli team. I added Charizard because the initial core is a bit weak to Tsareena and it gives a secondary check to Ribombee with Perrserker not being the bulkiest Steel-type. I added Regirock as a response to opposing Charizard, a soft response to Galarian Articuno, and a Stealth Rock setter. Ribombee gave some Speed control and a win condition. Scrafty works nicely with the Aromatherapy support that Ribombee provides and provides a Psychic immunity + Ghost resist, which can help play against stuff like Specs Galarian Articuno. Enjoy and happy holidays

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Hello there! I was given a Reversal Ghostvally set by esteemed tier leader 2xTheTap and was told to build a ghost spam hazard stack.

:ss/silvally-ghost: :ss/cofagrigus: :ss/gigalith: :ss/ferroseed: :ss/sandslash: :ss/aromatisse:

This was actually really hard to build because ghost spam + hazards stack means that 4 slots are already decided, which leaves only two slots to deal with the stuff you want to deal with. The Cofagrigus used to be a Haunter but Cofagrigus is a better spinblocker. This team is not made for the long game, so the gameplan is to win as quickly as possible by laying hazards and sweeping with one of the 3 offensive mons here. GigaSeed is a bit of an old core but I found it to be more reliable than RegiSeed when testing in order to switch into powerful special attackers, like Charizard and Galarcuno. Spin Sandslash may seem weird when I could be opting for coverage, but Sandslash's main goal is actually to remove items and take advantage of either of the Ghost-types and hazards wearing down stuff into +2 EQ range, so having removal in a pinch is fine. Finally, Aromatisse means this team doesn't get steamrolled by Scrafty, and it's SpD to provide a secondary switch-in to those powerful special attackers I was talking about. Hope you have some great holidays and enjoy the team!

Edit: Realized I mispelled Cofa's nickname, that's been fixed!

Last edited:
Hey mushamu I've got your team right here, feel free to DM me if you have any questions

Lopunny is the star of this team, crippling mons such as Sandaconda & Gigalith by Switcheroo-ing them an AV, with Tsareena taking advantage of an AV-crippled defensive mon. Aggron & Aromatisse forms a rock-solid defensive core and serves as the primary Galarcuno & Fighting/Dark check of the team. I realized that this team had a rather shaky Zard MU, so I added Archeops to handle our favorite orange lizard. Finally, Jolteon is there to serve as speed control and acts as a neat partner to Tsareena and Archeops.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Heracross2.0 :3
I was given either SD or NP Shiftry to build around and decided to go with Nasty Plot, since it seems to chunk the meta a lot more easily.

Shiftry @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Chople Berry
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Leaf Storm
- Dark Pulse
- Synthesis / Heat Wave

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Body Press
- Toxic

Silvally-Poison @ Poison Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Defog
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Togedemaru
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Spiky Shield
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Ribombee @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Roost
- Aromatherapy

okay so i chose nasty plot shiftry bc sd has a lot more trouble hitting stuff like weezing/fairies/etc, plus np takes advantage of ghosts/grounds like palo jellicent etc with ur typing. boots are great bc it means u dont have to keep spamming synth from spikes or rocks, but chople, while niche, is still cool for catching sawk, gallade, and other fighters off guard. Heat wave over synth is nice since u hit threatening steels like perrserker more effectively, but u sacrifice longevity. regi is its standard set, it beats zard and helps check a couple of the sd vallies that this team is really weak to. Normally i dont like defensive vallies since their recovery is either rest or none at all, but in this scenario role compression+wish support makes poisonvally passable. 72 speed outruns ada tsareena, rest is in defense. Chose sawk for speed control, stab cc is nice and it gets many opportunites to click knock and cripple smth. togedemaru is still really good glue rn as a spd steel w protect for gcuno, wish passer, and elec immunity. Itemless helps against poltergeist mashers like trev or froslass. Ribombee adds another ground resist bc shiftry unfortunately does not cut it alone. Aromatherapy is cool since pokemon like ferroseed or sanda that shiftry sets up on can still para/toxic/whatever so having a cleric on the team is really helpful.

happy holidays!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)