The Slow Swimmers [Gen 5]

Swift Swim was banned with Drizzle? And Manaphy was banned?

Rain teams have next to vanished from the ladder?

Well, seems like noobs these days can't think beyond Double Speed, or abuseing broken abilities like Hydration.

After a few trials and changes, I have made a Rain Offense team which, in my veiw, is rather sucessful.

Team Building:

Obviously, for a Drizzle-based team, Politoad is required. Unless you're playing Ubers. Which I'm not.

My next step was to test out DD Gyarados in the Rain, as he effectivly starts out with Waterfall at +1.

Agility Emploeon was the next on the list to test out, as his special attacks already had frightening power, and combined with Agility, and, if his HP got low, Torrent, Emploeon's water attacks could muscle past nearly anything. He also helped to lure Ground and Fighting attacks for Gyarados to switch in on, as well as taking Rock-type attacks.

This being a Rain team, when I needed a pivot ad something for Hazards, Nattorei was the obvious solution, especially with his x4 Fire weakness being cut to x2 in the Rain.

Nxt, I wanted something to take down other Waters, so, with his 100% accurate STAB Thunder, I added Rotom-W to my team. Will-O-Wisp to cripple things like Tyranitar is an added bonus.

Finally, I found my team was weak to Electric, despite Nattorei. I also needed more physical power. The solution to both of these issues was to throw Garchomp on the team, especially as his weakness to Ice is covered by the Water-types, and Nattorei and Emploeon both resist Dragon.

However, I soon found Emploeon underwelming, and the lack of Priority, and something to handle Nattorei, too much to ignore. Thus, I added Azumarill to my team, and solved both problems at once.

Finally, Gyarados seemed underwhelming too, and I replaced him with another Flying-Type who could abuse the Rain, Tornadus. STAB Hurricanes from a Base 125 Sp.Attack, and a Base 111 Speed added a lot more speed, and flexibilty to the team, as well as another way to handle Grass types.

The Team:

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Boil Over
- Focus Blast

To be honest, he's mostly here for the Rain. However, Politoad does have some uses outside of this. Perish Song and Protect help to bring threats such as Renkulus under control should they set up. Focus Blast takes a meatly chunk out of Tyranitar. Boil Over can support the rest of the team with Burns.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Evil Eye

Offensive Rotom-W, and, to be honest, he's not performing as I expected. A little bit too slow, and invested in speed and Sp.attack, he's a bit too frail as well.

Thunder and Hydro Pump are the main attacks. Will-O-Wisp is used on threats such as Tyranitar, as a parting gift. Evil Eye is there because its stronger than Shadow Ball on a statused foe. I don't find myself using it that often, however, so I'm open to suggestions to change that move.

Rotom-W probobly needs an overhaul, he's usually my weak link, and I may even replace him.

Torunerosu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

This thing is monsterous. Hurricane decimates everything that dosen't resist it. Focus Blast cleans up what does, and HP Ice slays Dragons such as Garchomp, as well as annoyances such as Gliscor.

U-Turn is there mainly for 'I need to GTHO' situations, and is filler, by and large.

No Life Orb, because I tend to hit hard enough as it is, and Tournadus is a bit frail.

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
- Toxic

There's a reason why I promote the useage of Azumarill. Blaziken? Check. Excadrill? Check. Landos? Check. Urgamoth? Check. Ferrothorn? Eat Superpower as you switch in. [The amount of times I smash a Ferrothorn who's Sp.Def invested with a OHKO...]

Even Dragons can't come in on Ice unch without losing a lot of health.

Toxic is there for when I have no clue what to use, or for when I expect Jellicent.

Garchomp (M) @ Haban Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

A variation on YacheChomp. Seeing as there's not a lot of Ice attacks being thrown around right now, and even then, my three waters can take them, while there's Dragons flying in the skys acting like B-2 Bombers, HabanChomp is a great check, taking their Meteors, and then OHKOing right back with Outrage. Dragons who have just fired off their DM's are even more fun.

My Garchomp is a Dragonslayer. While it still dosent like taking Specs DM's from the likes of Latios, it has a fighting chance.

Aqua Tail is because Fire Moves are halved in power in the rain, while Aqua Tail gets a x1.5 Boost. It's mainly filler, but has the occasional use, such as Gliscor without locking myself in.

Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

It's Ferrothron. It needs no explantion, really. It sits there and walls. This EV spread is one of my own design, I've been using it since the start of Gen 5. Basically, it makes Ferrothron more or less impossible to OHKO, in the rain, by an unboosted attack. From there, I can Leech Seed, Gyro Ball, Power Whip, or Spike as I please.

I may trade out Spikes for Stealth Rock. I rarely have the chance to set up three layers.

Aerodactyl - This is a threat? Azumarill destroys it, as does Politoad and Ferrothorn.
Archeops - Azumarill and Ferrothorn. Good luck switching in on anything as well.
Azelf - Azumarill handles it easily. Don't see many, so this is low priority.
Bisharp - Sucker Punch is a pain, but it can't beat any of my team without prior damage taken.
Blaziken - Azumarill. Have fun switching in, by the way.
Breloom - GO DIE. Spore is a pain, and from there, it can Subseed, SubPunch, or SD. If I can take it's sub out, Tornadus destroys it, but usually that means I have to let one team member get KO'ed, and another eat Spore.
Chandelure - Rain team. Not Dream World. Non-issue
Cobalion - Not seen any, but Garchomp and Azumarill both handle it, Tornadus could hold it's own too.
Conkeldurr - A pain, but generally, as I focus on Special Attacks, it dosen't do much. Tornadus beats it outright.
Darmanitan - Rain + Water = Drowned monkey. NEXT
Deoxys-S - Annoying, but there's not much besides MH Taunt which can stop this guy anyway.
Dragonite - Tornadus outspeeds and HP Ices it. It can't switch in and set up on Rotom, and risks Ice Punch or Toxic from Azumarill. Perish Song also stops it. Nattorei also annoys it.
Druddigon - This is a threat?
Eelektross - Annoying, but can be worked around with Garchomp and Rotom.
Electivire - Garchomp food unless it gets in on Thunder.
Emboar - Garchomp Food, Water-type food, Tornadus food. Only Nattorei can't handle it.
Empoleon - Azumarill smashes it's royal beak in with Superpower. Thunder. Can't touch Nattorei.
Espeon - Only things it can bounce are Will-O and Spikes. Big deal.
Escavalier - Low Sp.Def, Slow as anything. Slughtered.
Excadrill - Rain slows it down to manageable levels. Azumarill has a minimum of 99.7% damage on it... in the Sand.
Garchomp - My own Garchomp. Dosent like Rain boosted Hydro Pumps, Will-O-Wisps, Perish Songs, or HP Ice either. Nor does it like Nattorei.
Gengar - Frail, so Azumarill food. Dosen't hit hard enough on Politoad or Ferrothrorn either.
Golurk - Sinks to the bottom of the sea
Gyarados - THUNDER, Hurricanes are not taken lightly either.
Haxorus - Could be a problem if it gets a DD up, but is rather frail, so a good strike, and then Azumarill can revenge.
Heatran - Fire Type. Rain Team.
Heracross - Tornadus can kill it rather well. It can't really switch in on anything either.
Hydreigon - GO DIE WITH BRELOOM. Life Orb sets are the most manageable, as they can be set up on by Garchomp. Scarf or Specs sets are annoying, but can be worked around.
Infernape - Fire type, Rain team.
Jirachi - 3 Water types to tank Iron Heads, one of which who resists x4, another with Priority so he cant be Finchaxed. Garchomp also handles.
Jolteon - Garchomp says Hi. Azumarill deals a heavy hit, and Rotom does too.
Kingdra - Non-Issue now SS is all but gone.
Krookodile - Tornadus and Rotom
Kyurem - Could be a pain. Ferrothrorn can handle it.
Landorus - Azumarill
Latios - GO TO THE SEVENTH LEVEL OF HELL. Nothing on my team can handle Specs Latios. It takes careful prediction, hitting it when it comes in, and even then, Latios destroys me usually. I'm of the firm opinion he should be booted to Ubers, not just because of the trouble he gives this team, but anything in general.
Lilligant - Could be a pain if it sets up, and Tornadus is down
Lucario - Tornadus kills it, as does Chomp. Its rather frail, so can't set up easily.
Machamp - Tornadus. Dosen't like Water attacks
Magnezone - Rain weakens Magnezone's HP to the point where Ferrothrorn can actually beat Magnezone.
Mamoswine - Water types. Azumarill in particualar
Metagross - Water Types, Garchomp
Mienshao - Annoying. Tornadus handles it well, as does Garchomp
Reuniclus - Very annoying, but manageable. If it sets up, Politoad is in there to Perish Song it. If it's a walling set, Garchomp is all over it.
Roserade - Again, potentially annoying once Tornadus is gone
Salamence - Tornadus, Garchomp
Sawsbuck - Potentially a threat. Tornadus handles it, as does Garchomp
Scizor - Annoying, but can be handled rather well
Scrafty- Hit it multiple times, until it falls. Set up faster than it can with Chomp. If it gets out of control, Perish Song. Tornadus owns it.
Seismitoad - Mild annoyance, but cant touch Rotom, who just Will-O's, and waits.
Shaymin - Again, potentially annoying once Tornadus and Garchomp are down
Sigilyph - Perish Song it if it sets up too many Cosmic Powers.
Smeargle - No Smergle Counter, I just counter whatever it BP's to
Starmie - Annoying, as it can abuse the Rain boost against me. Ferrothrorn handles it.
Terakion - Most of my team, except Tornadus. It can't switch in on Ferrothron
Thundurus - Potentially annoying if Rotom and Garchomp are down
Togekiss - Annyoing, but generally overpowered
Tornadus - If someone else actually used this, I'd be in trouble. My best bet would be a speed Tie, and then Azumarill's Aqua Jet, or Rotoms Thunder.
Tyranitar - Focus Blast, Superpower, EQ, Will-O, GyroBall/Power Whip
Venusaur - Annoying. Tornadus can handle it with the Sun gone. Otherwise... I'm in a world of hurt. [That said, if the Sun's up, I've generally messed up]
Victini - Fire Type, Rain Team
Virizion - Tornadus. Funny how many of these stay in too
Volcarona - Whole team except Ferrothorn
Weavile - This is a threat?
Zoroark - Hit it. Hard.

Alomomola - Toxic, Thunder, Garchomp, Torndus
Blissey - Annoying, hit it with Garchomp
Bronzong - Hit it hard, repeatedly
Celebi - Repeated hits with non-water attacks
Chansey - See Blissey
Deoxys-D - See Chansey/Blissey
Cofagrigus - Repetedly hit it
Crustle - Drown it
Dusclops - Repeatedly hit
Ferrothorn - Azumarill, Tornadus, Garchomp can finish it
Forretress - keep hitting it
Garbodor - This is a threat?
Gigalith - This is no trouble
Gliscor - Drown it
Hippowdon - Drown it
Jellicent - Toxic, Garchomp, Ferrothorn
Latias - JOIN YOUR BROTHER
Mandibuzz - Repeatedly hit
Murkrow - Hit it
Ninetales - Hit it once or twice
Politoed - Thunder, non-Water types
Porygon2 - Repeatedly hit. Is annoying
Rotom-H - Drown
Rotom-W - Annoying, but mirror mtches usually work, as I overpower defensive ones
Scolipede - Hit it
Skarmory - Hit it... with special attacks
Snorlax - Keep whacking away
Suicune - ANNOYING, but I can wear it down, especially if Chomp comes in. Perish Song
Swampert - Keep hitting it
Tentacruel - Keep hitting
Vaporeon - Hydration is a pain, otherwise, keep hitting
Whimsicott - Annoying, keep hitting away, Tornadus
Xatu - See Espeon... except no offensive threat at all
Zapdos -Keep hitting with Rotom/Garchomp/Ferrothorn, hope it's not using Thunder, as that will hurt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)