The Smogon Classic - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
so youre expecting me to play gsc on showdown?
ha ha ha no.
Edited the OP yesterday, but probably should clarify here for anyone that didn't notice: default sim for GSC is PO, though PS is still cool if both players agree to use it.

Pretty sure the only notable PS issues atm are moveset-related. The Gen 2 Berries aren't on PS (though their later-gen counterparts can still be used in GSC there), so fair warning for anyone quickly importing teams from one sim to the other~

Gen 2 is working and functional and should be the default. There are workarounds and you can get everything you need to play GSC. If PS is the official simulator and emulates the gens properly we shouldn't be told that the default simulator for the tournament is a second party sim. I don't have PO anymore, because PS is the standard, and I shouldn't be forced to use PO because my opponent wants to

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Gen 2 is working and functional and should be the default. There are workarounds and you can get everything you need to play GSC. If PS is the official simulator and emulates the gens properly we shouldn't be told that the default simulator for the tournament is a second party sim. I don't have PO anymore, because PS is the standard, and I shouldn't be forced to use PO because my opponent wants to
The fact of the matter is we're still finding bugs in GSC on PS, which combined with its difficult recent history of incorrect Leftovers implementation and now rampant moveset illegalities led me to err on the side of caution and recommend that PO be the default for GSC in this tournament, as it's been proven to have correct mechanics for years now.

This is not at all ideal, as I too would prefer PS be the default for all gens. Hopefully, if in the next month we reach a point to where I can give the green light (as in we stop finding bugs), I will make PS the default for GSC and therefore PS the default for all gens and finally put PO to bed. You and others can even help in this aspect by playing a bunch of GSC matches on PS using typically buggy moves like Substitute and trying to find new bugs.

However, in order to finally leave PO behind once and for all this would also require us having correct RBY mechanics as well, and I was under the impression going into Round 1 that they were on PS but they are not (the whole status to stat modifier Speed mechanic is not implemented currently on PS, or it was not at least as of yesterday). This will probably lead me to make PO the default of RBY as well as I would rather we play with what's the most up-to-date if possible.

We use what's most readily available to us at the highest competitive level. We had to use PO for Smogon Tour when we still had ADV in the tournament despite PS being our official sim at the time because ADV was not completely implemented on PS. The situation has changed significantly since then, but it's undeniable that PO has GSC and RBY better implemented at this point in time. Hopefully, that is not the case in the coming weeks and we can switch to PS being the default.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
In other news, because of the huge turnout for these tournaments and in order to give more importance to seeding in the Play-offs, I've talked with Malekith (who initially brought it up) and the other TDs and decided to change up the Finals just a little bit.

We will be doing a Final 12 as opposed to a Final 8. The top 4 seeds will be given a Round 1 bye in the play-offs, and the bottom 8 seeds will eliminate 4 players, which will then give us a Round 2 Final 8.

Hopefully, this will give us a boost in the competition to get the top seeds as well as better represent those that put in a ton of effort and made a good showing in all of the tournaments.

Best of luck to everyone currently playing in the tournament!

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Would you guys maybe consider implementing some kind of rule to prevent the need for tiebreaking at this point? As you increase the number of seeds that enter playoffs, it's very likely that you increase the likelihood of a tie occuring for the 12th seed. Or is this not an issue?

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
can some update the spreadsheet for me? i understand the confusion since my matches were quite complicated, but i'm actually still on gsc cup and i lost on adv cup since r3. i should have 11 points instead of 10 and i think the max. points are still the same. thanks in advance and sorry for bothering.

Sapientia , i'm actually still on gsc cup (2 points there) and i only have 2 points on rby cup. :(

Last edited:

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
can some update the spreadsheet for me? i understand the confusion since my matches were quite complicated, but i'm actually still on gsc cup and i lost on adv cup since r3. i should have 11 points instead of 10 and i think the max. points are still the same. thanks in advance and sorry for bothering.
fixed

/e
should be correct now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)