The Smogon Mario Kart 8 Thread

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
also holy shit just realized Excite Arena changes every time you race on it
Yeah, it's actually blocked off into "sections" (each "section" has 4 possibilities iirc) but the format you race on for Time Trials will always be the same.

religiousjedi, and there probably won't be a F-Zero game on Wii U because of Mario Kart 8. I really wish there would be though ;-;

The DLC is so fucking cheap for everything it contains it would be an abomination not to buy it.

I mean, 12$ for literally HALF the tracks of the original game, six new characters, EIGHT new karts and if the second DLC is anything like the first one, a new set of wheels and a new glider.

for 12 goddamn bucks. It's better than ANY other DLC you'll find on the market.

Hell, it's cheaper than a damn amibo!

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one really happy about the fact that Link's bike has different stats than all of the other inside drifting bikes in the game? I can actually use Yoshi with inside drifting now without losing out on top Speed compared to who I usually use (Ludwig / Rosalina) What I find interesting is that Link's bike has higher top Speed and Traction, as opposed to the typical higher Speed / Weight and lower everything else.

As for the tracks, I'm still a fan of SNES Rainbow Road. I loved it in MK7 and I'm glad they brought it back in MK8. Dragon Driftway is hella hard the first couple of times you race on it. So rhythm-based and I'm glad I use inside drifting. I think that'll really help with that course. Mute City is great, but I can tell I'll have a hard time doing good on it online because it's so conducive to fire-hopping, which I can't do with inside drifting bikes. (and before someone says I should fire-hop, I can't drift the way I want to with karts) Ice Ice Outpost I think is going to be all or nothing. If you can hit those shortcuts, you can make some really good time. However, ice physics kill your traction and can fling you off-course as you do the tricks through the shortcut areas.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ehh... As much as I like SNES Rainbow Road, I would much rather if they would have brought back either the Double Dash or Super Circuit Rainbow Road. They are the only rainbow roads that were not redone yet so Im not sure why they would bring back a rainbow road that was already remade in the last game.

Yoshi circuit though. This race looks amazing! I seriously missed this level and was really excited when I found out it finally made it in the game. Its full of twists and turns that are actually doable without running into the grass for people who suck at making tight turns (like me).

Now excitebike reminds me of another double dash level; baby park! It has the same layout even though its a bit longer. While theres no way this race will ever be as hectic as baby park because of the lack of special items and larger size, there are always a barrage of green shells flying everywhere that usually misses. Think thats just enough to remember those times you try your best trying to dodge those giant bowser shells.....with a little imagination.

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
done some more tting, got 1'52"4 on hyrule circuit, 1'50"6 on ice ice outpost, 1'56"3 on mute city and 1'49"1 on dragon driftway.
I've played all the tracks now, I'm not really that happy with excitebike arena and snes rainbow road, but I LOVE Dragon Driftway, contender for my favourite track in the game tbh

Also EonX, the 'shortcuts' on ice ice outpost are slower, it's faster to keep to the main path (watch the wr ghost to get an idea of what I mean)

EonX

Battle Soul
Alright, I've had time to play on all the courses online now in a 16-race tournament featuring only the DLC courses:

Mute City: I just love the results screen music. Outside of that, the course is really cool and not quite as conducive to fire-hopping as I thought it would be. It still kind of is, but I can still win on it with inside drifting bikes. Also, I like how your lateral movement is increased in the air, just like how it is in the F-Zero games. Really neat nod to the original games that takes playing F-Zero to truly understand and appreciate.
Hyrule Circuit: Solid course. I haven't played many Zelda games at all, so I feel like I don't appreciate the course as much as a Zelda series fan would but the layout is really nice.
Ice Ice Outpost: Hard course to get a good time in, but man I do really well online with it. I think it's because the entire course has ice physics, which fucks over most online players who rely solely on Speed, whereas I tend to focus a bit more on Handling and Acceleration due to my racing style. What I really like about it is that you can basically take two routes around the entire course, though I have yet to see any of the benefits of taking the yellow route in most situations.
Dragon Driftway: Loved the course almost as much as I thought I would. My first Time Trial on it was god awful, but I knew then that I would love the course once I figured out how to best utilize my style of drifting. As the name of it implies, it rewards players who know how to setup sweeping turns with their drifting and punishes those who rely too much on straightaway speed. I don't see many people liking the course due to that fact, but I love it.
Excitebike Arena: And now for the complete and total opposite of Dragon Driftway. Of the 8 courses in the DLC, this is the only one I don't like. In fact, it's probably my least favorite course in the entire game rn. You get totally fucked if you get hit with items in the wrong spot because there are very few ways to make up time. Blue Shell at the base of a hill? Bye-bye first place. You probably won't get it back no matter how good you are. If you thought Mario Kart Stadium was bad with items punishing you, you haven't seen anything yet. Raced on it twice online and got 6th and 5th after being around 1st-2nd for the first lap and a half of each race, only to be taken out by items and not having a way to make up time.
Wario's Gold Mine: I like the anti-gravity section they added to the course to make the mine-cart section a bit more interesting. The area in that section of the course seems wider, but considering you're going faster as well due to anti-gravity, I think it's a fair tradeoff. The ramp on the final turn before the finish line is a nice little touch to add some risk-reward to the finish of the race. I felt it was ok in MKWii, but I really like the changes in MK8.
Yoshi Circuit: The course layout was never bad. I just feel they could have done a little.... more with it. The drifting sections are great, and there are straightaways for fire-hoppers to make up some time, making it a pretty balanced course. It just feels... meh. The update was nice, but there's no anti-gravity, underwater, or gliding. I just feel like they could have at least made a gliding or underwater section optional, like they did with Sherbet Land.
Rainbow Road (SNES): I know a lot of people are going to complain about the fact this course has now been in half of the Mario Kart games in the franchise, but it's a really simple, yet challenging course. There's straightaways for firehopping and tight corners for inside drifters to shine. There's narrow areas that can leave you vulnerable and trick areas that can really help you make up some time.

OMG THE FREAKING DLC'S ARE AMAZING. They executed the SNES Rainbow Road theme! And they also proved that even if a track had previously returned they can still be a thing. <3333

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Holy shit, I had no idea a MK8 thread even existed. Been obsessed with this game since the day I got it in late September haha.

Though this thread is about as dead as the TT community, lots of people leaving it appears x_x Anyone still play regularly??

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
I still play regularly, though I've been having a lot of issues with my wifi recently so I'm stuck to offline time trials, which isn't too bad I suppose :p

Speaking of which, a new strat was found on DK Jungle a few days ago that saves around .6 per lap, resulting in the track subbing 2 minutes rather quickly (I managed to get my rather mediocre time down to 2'02"4 pretty quickly haha).
Excluding future DLC, the only track left that hasn't subbed 2 minutes is Rainbow Road, at 2'00"981. Diogo (the current world champion and RR WR holder) said that it's impossible to do without a new strat, so it may be a while until all tracks are at 1 minute :/

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I still play regularly, though I've been having a lot of issues with my wifi recently so I'm stuck to offline time trials, which isn't too bad I suppose :p

Speaking of which, a new strat was found on DK Jungle a few days ago that saves around .6 per lap, resulting in the track subbing 2 minutes rather quickly (I managed to get my rather mediocre time down to 2'02"4 pretty quickly haha).
Excluding future DLC, the only track left that hasn't subbed 2 minutes is Rainbow Road, at 2'00"981. Diogo (the current world champion and RR WR holder) said that it's impossible to do without a new strat, so it may be a while until all tracks are at 1 minute :/
The hype was so real when K4I discovered that strat, Ray has DK Jungle down to 1:58.xxx now, which is insane.
idk if RRd will ever see below 2 minutes, diogo's run at the moment has basically perfect lines and no mistakes besides the glider L2. I was thinking maybe the shroom spot could be moved from the corner-cut where it is now to the starting platform with hops, but idk if it's that much faster that it would shave off .9 :\

I also can't wait for the DLC in may, Nintendo really did well keeping the hype this game had alive for as long as possible :p

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
I'm not really sure tbh, I can't really see a new potential shroomspot so I imagine future strats on RR will mostly be the addition of a slide/hop somewhere. Rocore pushed it down to "8 earlier today, but the room for improvement is pretty small :/

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I'm not really sure tbh, I can't really see a new potential shroomspot so I imagine future strats on RR will mostly be the addition of a slide/hop somewhere. Rocore pushed it down to "8 earlier today, but the room for improvement is pretty small :/
Oh wow, I had no idea it was broken. Just watched the run, I have no clue where anyone can shave off significant time from that run, let alone .800 lol. Either some new track-cutting shortcut has to be discovered, or a wicked new hop/slide-pattern needs to be found, neither of which are too likely :[

On a side note, Diogo held 24 WRs at one point, he's down to 17 :o [though he did get a wicked new sub at MKS yesterday]

Am I the only one really happy about the fact that Link's bike has different stats than all of the other inside drifting bikes in the game? I can actually use Yoshi with inside drifting now without losing out on top Speed compared to who I usually use (Ludwig / Rosalina) What I find interesting is that Link's bike has higher top Speed and Traction, as opposed to the typical higher Speed / Weight and lower everything else.
It is always good when vehicles get unique sets of stats, even if I'm not a fan of the Master Cycle's particular ones.

In the same vein, I'm dissappointed by the Hylian Kite (and glider stats in general), since it doesn't provide any useful increase in my preferred Link setup (Standard ATV with Off-Road tires).

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
New DLC trailer!

The new tracks are (not sure on the exact order):
Wild Woods
Animal Crossing
Big Blue (!!!)
Super Bell Subway/Ring Metro

Retro Tracks:
3DS Neo Bowser City/Koopa City
GBA Cheese Land
GBA Ribbon Road
GCN Baby Park

Most of the tracks look fantastic, and it's nice to see some more MKSC representation, but Baby Park is and always will be a terrible track :(
I'm hyped for 200cc though!

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
New gameplay videos showing way more detail for each track!

HOLY SHIT I'M SO EXCITED!

On a side note, I find it extremely weird that they changed the name from Neo Bowser City to Koopa City. No real reason to do that.
Also agreeing that Baby Park is the only slight let-down of this dlc.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just came in my pants at Baby Park holy fuck bitches gonna get wrecked

Too bad we don't have Bowser Shells anymore :(
Best part: Imagine it at 200CC and FULL ANTI GRAVITY AND 12 PLAYERS

Because that's how this game does it. Gonna be TOTAL CHAOS MAN!

EDIT: OMG I just realized: With Mario Kart 8's placing shenanigans... I wonder if we're gonna have like 4 people wrecking shit with Bullet Bills LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)