The Smogon Mario Kart 8 Thread

The other day, I saw someone racing online with their Mii in a Toad outfit. Meaning they, or someone they know, actually bought a Toad amiibo, which is only compatible with Mario Party 10, outside of small costume unlocks in other games.

(If they made a Toad amiibo, maybe we'll one day see legit Waluigi amiibos on shelves...I'd definitely buy one, even if it wouldn't do anything in the games I own)

Wayan Vistar

formerly Flyhn
Okay, I've finally calculated all the stats for my main set (with pieces/characters with the same stats in parenthesis).

The character is Yoshi (Peach/Daisy), with Sport Bike (Jet Bike/Comet/Yoshi Bike), Triforce Tires (Slim/Crimson Slim), and an acceleration glider.

And here are the stats:

Speed(Ground/Water): 3.50 (Air): 3.25
Acceleration: 4.00
Weight: 2.75
Handling(All): 4.75
Traction: 2.25
Mini Turbo: 3.50
Total: 45.25

I've been using this set for quite a while, it's pretty good. One of those "easy to use, hard to master" things. Feel free to use.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
tbh I've just been using Dry Bowser, Blue Falcon, Slims, Heavy Glider in 200cc. Haven't had much trouble, I just use excessive amounts of brake-drifting to corner. Only other set-up I dabbled with is Peach on Pipe Frame with Slicks and accel. It is nice to see lighter characters finally have an actual use, though!

As it turns out, you can skip part of the dual-lane area on 200cc Rainbow Road just by virtue of being fast as shit..
can you link a gif / video of it? if it's not this one, it would be really cool :)

On the topic of un-released amiibos, I can't wait for the pacman one to come out May 29th. If you haven't seen the pacman racing suit yet, well, it's amazing.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
tbh I've just been using Dry Bowser, Blue Falcon, Slims, Heavy Glider in 200cc. Haven't had too much trouble, I just use an excessive amount of brake-drifting to keep corners tight :|
Only other set-up I dabbled with is Peach on Pipe Frame with Slicks and accel. It is nice to see lighter characters finally have an actual use, though!

can you link a gif / video of it? if it's not this one, it would be really cool :)
That's exactly it actually, I just noticed it wildly flailing about on Rainbow Road trying not to fall off in 200cc Grand Prix (although I didn't hit the boost thing to do it!).

Now I feel less cool :[

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
That's exactly it actually, I just noticed it wildly flailing about on Rainbow Road trying not to fall off in 200cc Grand Prix (although I didn't hit the boost thing to do it!).

Now I feel less cool :[
I was kinda wondering if some crazy new thing was found in 200 that cut off more than that, haha. but now I feel bad :[
at least now you know that you can do it in 150cc too!

For 200 cc, I pick a heavy character and work backwards. Meaning, I pick lighter karts and wheels, in an attempt to increase the sharpness of their turning. Just because the speed is cranked way up doesn't mean you've gotta avoid the fast characters!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
sorry for necromancing this thread, but I've finally picked up a wii u and I'm crazy excited to finally have MK8. I've been into the series since 64, I'm not much of a time trialler but I maxed out my rank in online on the old wii. since this has been out I've only played it a few times drunk at a friend's place... I really fucking like this game though, the graphics are ridic and love the facelifts all the old tracks got (except n64 rainbow road being crazy different and 1 lap). online is really fun too, I've just made my way to 3000 so hopefully I start seeing some people that put up a fight.. however I feel like excitebike arena and baby park pop up for vote literally every time and everyone votes for them! I don't get it, I'm always the one voting for the seemingly unpopular track like thwomp ruins, cloudtop cruise, and hyrule circuit...

I've been playing around with heaps of kart combinations trying to find something that I like, I found that I care more about pure aesthetics than stats and have more fun with those combos than just winning all the time coz I'm using Morton with the Pipe Frame. I use yoshi or shy guy a lot just because their multiple colours make them match with karts better (they're also cool I guess), I also use the monster wheels on a lot of thing since they look cool too... here's what I've been liking:

online (100cc) + 150cc w/ friends:
white yoshi / cat peach + GLA + monster wheels + MK8 glider (what I've been using most)
green shy guy + tri-speeder + monster wheels + triforce glider (my original favourite)
orange yoshi + tanooki kart + funky monster wheels + triforce glider (all orange steeze)
black yoshi / black shy guy + flame rider + off road / monster (respectively) + triforce glider
mii (large + blue) + blue falcon + triforce tires + cloud glider
link / dry bowser / metal mario + landship + azure roller / wooden + cloud glider

200cc: black shy guy +
mr scooty + rollers + waddle wing
landship + azure roller / wooden + cloud glider
w 25 silver arrow + off-road + cloud glider

anyone else have combos that just look cool? I'm all for style points especially when playing casually!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tbh the blue falcon with any wheels barring the big ones is pretty flashy, and I always use it cause its a good veihicle in its own right. My current build is Tanooki Mario+Blue Falcon+Slim wheels+Parachute because I've always found that Tanooki Mario's good balance of stats without having a weight so high that you handle/drift really wide makes him a very solid choice.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know this thread is kinda dead but in the trailer showing off the new console, the Switch. They showed off some games, including compatibility with Mario Kart 8. And one of the players was playing as KING BOO. As you know, King Boo isn't in MK8 so what does this mean? A possible 3rd DLC pack? Mario Kart 8 Premium edition on Switch? Either way King Boo being back rolls the ball for speculation again.

And you can hold two items again, which I remember MK8 taking out.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new game, Mario kart switch, as a kind of sequel to double dash to highlight the system's easier two player accessibility

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
afaik Emily Rogers, who has gotten quite a few NX leaks right, said that Mario Kart Switch is just an enhanced port of Mario Kart 8. That being said, I am still totally gonna get that, so I hope we can revive this thread for more Mario Karting then :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)