SS OU THE SPEED OF NIGHT

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
THE SPEED OF NIGHT: A TRIBUTE TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE POKEMON
:gardevoir: :melmetal: :tapu fini: :Landorus-Therian: :Tornadus-Therian: :heatran:

Hey yall. I've been playing Showdown ever since the late SM OU meta, and I've never built a team with some degree of uniqueness since then. My team has always been filled with Pokémon that has seen consistent usage throughout the ladder, but that changes today. I've decided to build around one of my favorite Pokémon and one of the most elegant mons: Gardevoir.

:sm/gardevoir: :sm/melmetal: :sm/tapu fini::sm/landorus-therian: :sm/tornadus-therian: :sm/heatran:

Importable: https://pokepast.es/0ed047f67abda41e

The Mons:
:sm/gardevoir:
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mystical Fire
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

I think Gardevoir is a bit underrated in the tier. Sure, there are other options such as the Tapus, in particular Tapu Lele, but Gardevoir has some tools that make it stand out. Mystical Fire can completely remove what Gardevoir typically struggles against, particularly non-Gyro Ball Ferro, and Trace is an amazing ability because it can serve many purposes. It can trace Intimidate in order to weaken threats such as Lando, and Regenerator in order to stay alive longer, among others. Scarf + Timid allows Gardevoir to outspeed would-be faster mons such as Dragapult and Garchomp.

:sm/melmetal:
Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 128 HP / 116 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Gardevoir really hates special walls such as Blissey, and despite Mystical Fire, it still struggles against Corviknight and Skarmory, so Melmetal was a much needed addition to the team. Thunder Punch allows it to take out the aforementioned "steel birds" as well as some Pex sets, while Double Iron Bash is a powerful STAB option that beats meta threats such as Clefable and Tapu Lele. Earthquake is a good coverage option against Tapu Koko and Regieleki. Finally, Ice Punch can threaten Landorus-T and Rillaboom.

:sm/tapu fini:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Taunt

Urshifu-R was a threat to my Gardevoir and Melmetal, so I added Tapu Fini to neutralize that bear. With Trick and Taunt, it can also thwart any attempts to hazard stack from mons like Ferro, Clef, and Pex, although Fini has to be wary of Black Sludge from the latter.

:sm/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Based on my current team, it would really appreciate some sort of Ground immunity and hazard support; Landorus-Therian fit that bill. Gardevoir really appreciates Stealth Rock and Toxic to wear down opposing Pokémon for Gardevoir to help clean. Lando also provides some much needed slow pivoting for the team via U-turn.

:sm/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

So far, I saw that the team had some notable weaknesses, mainly in terms of speed control and hating hazards, so in order to solve those 2 problems, I added Tornadus-Therian. I was thinking of adding Regieleki instead but went with Tornadus-T since Defog was overall a more consistent way to remove hazards, it provided useful Knock Off support, and it was able to pivot more consistently since Torn didn't need to worry about Ground-types switching in to stop pivots.

:sm/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

My team was still somewhat susceptible to QD Volcarona and Blacephalon, so I added Heatran as my final mon. Heatran serves as the team's utility option, and serves as the second Toxic and Taunt user just in case Fini or Lando get taken out. If played correctly, Heatran can trap and beat walls it wouldn't be able to beat by itself, such as Pex if played correctly.

Final Words
This team was really fun to build around since Gardevoir has been mostly left unexplored in the OU meta, and I hope Gardevoir can see some more usage in these last months of Gen 8 OU, and eventually, Gen 9. Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
I think replacing Scarf Fini for Trapping Fini could be a good idea. Heavily chips down common Fairy switch-ins and you don't really lose speed control as you have a Tornadus and a Scarf Gardevoir already. Additionally, Sp. Def Landorus checks more stuff than Phys. Def and Heatran wouldn't get overwhelmed as much as it's the only Sp. Def mon and also lacks recovery. A bulkier Torn set can be run with the EVs: 248 HP, 92 Def. and a Timid Nature to better check Grass types. Another Bulky Water like Toxapex or maybe Slowbro can be run over Tapu Fini to form a Regenerator Core with Torn. If you choose Toxapex, use Shed Shell as an item to escape Heatran's Magma Storm Trapping. If you choose Slowbro, make it Colbur berry + Body Press over Future Sight to lure and beat Weavile. Nice team, I like the idea of using Gardevoir because it has Mystical Fire unlike Lele.

Edit: Scrap that, don't use slowbro, the team will become weaker to weavile.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)