SM OU The Stall Breakers

stealthrocks or spikes?

• Total voters
Hi my name is implaser and I would like some opinions on my team that I have been using.

The reason why I built this team was because of stall. One day i face about 5 stall teams in a row and i thought about which pokemon can OHKO chansey and i picked banded terrakion.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 774-912 (109.9 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
After looking at this calc, the first thing I decided to do was put this mon on my team.
Closecombat is one of the strongest fighting stab and puts a dent on any pokemon that doesn't resist it. I put Quick Attack in here to revenge kill pokemon with low health or one that can OHKO it before this mon hits its target. Earthquake is put here to threaten the likes of toxapex.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hydro Pump

After finding a good physical wall breaker I needed a special wall breaker so i decided to put a specs keldeo on here. Scald coupled wit specs does a lot od damage with a 30% chance of burn helping it get chip damage. Hp electric is on here due to mantine, pelliper, toxapex and fini being prevalent in ou. Secret sword as my fighting stab to counter physical walls.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

This is the standard smogon ferrothorn set of this gen. I'm not able to choose between spikes or stealthrock as both have their merits and demerits. This mon can easily go though an opponents team if they have no mons to check or counter this.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Clefable is a great mon that can easily check various setup mons due to its ability and can wish pass to its allies helping them to stay alive to counter or check certain mons. I chose maximum physical bulk as i could easily set up calm minds if i have enough hp and then sweep with this mon if necessary.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

This is the standard spread on metagross run in OU. i was initially running thunderpunch over bullet punch but i never seemed to use it so i picked bullet punch to ko the stranglers on low health. Meteor mash and zen headbutt help in putting dents in the opponent's team. I have also thought about running earthquake over bullet punch to counter marowak but can't seem to make up my mind.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psychic

My team in the beggining initially had a pinsir and i needed a spinner that could clear away the rocks for it. After some time i replaced the pinsir but haven't gotten around replacing this mon.i chose dual stab over here to maximise its damage but since i have been running a starmie moretowards the defensive spectrum i am contemplating whether to put psychic or to instead put reflect type for increasing its survivability.

Team import if anyone wants to use it

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hydro Pump

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psychic

Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Threatlist

Any help and suggestions are welcomed and would be greatly appreciated.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hello nice team. As you stated, Mega Scizor is a huge threat but I also noticed that Mega Metagross could be a much greater threat. With it's nice Speed tier outspeeding both Keldeo, and Terrakion this team's only real counter to Thunder Punch Mega Metagross is hoping you can Scald burn it with Starmie and beat it with your own Mega Metagross. This team also has trouble dealing with Volcarona as if it can setup Quiver Dance on say Ferrothorn, or even Starmie and Clefable this team auto-loses to this thanks to its nice Grass/Fire coverage. Mega Charizard-X can also destroy this team after one Dragon Dance since Clefable isn't really the best Charizard answer even though it has Unaware, it still gets 2hkod by a strong Flare Blitz. Pheromosa can also be troublesome, thanks to its amazing coverage and power this team doesn't really have a way to beat this, except Mega Metagross but since Mega Metagross is your main Tapu Lele answer it can get weakened pretty easily, and can get beaten by Pheromosa especially since Bullet Punch doesn't OHKO. With this being said here are my suggested changes.

-->
Firstly making
Keldeo an Ash Greninja can help with a few things. Firstly, Ash Greninja provides you with a solid answer to Mega Metagross which was stated before to be a huge threat, and also can hit Mega Scizor pretty hard. With the boosted Water Shuriken it can easily take out a Pheromosa, and also provide you a way of hitting a weakened Volcarona that had previously setup. Making Keldeo an Ash Greninja won't hurt this team too much since Ash Greninja is still a powerful wallbreaker and can also provide U-turn for this team. One of the biggest cons Ash Greninja could bring to this team however, is making this team kinda weaker to Mega Scizor as Ash Greninja is not a solid switchin by any means. Bulky Spdef Mega Scizor can also eat even an Ash formed Hydro Pump meaning that to break past Spdef Bulky Mega Scizor you would have to play smarter, and not let Ash Greninja get weakened.

-->
Tapu Fini provides a lot more merits than Starmie does for this team. The first thing being it provides a nice way of
dealing with Choice Scarf Pheromosa, which is now the main issue since Terrakion can outspeed and OHKO Life Orb, or Choice Specs sets. Thanks to Tapu Fini's exceptional bulk it can sponge many hits from Pheromosa, including Poison Jab and pressure it with Moonblast. Tapu Fini also lets you keep hazard control, but its much more reliable thanks to its bulk, and type. As stated before, Stall is a huge trouble for this team now due to Terrakion losing it's item, but it can be played around with. With Nature's Madness and Taunt, Tapu Fini gives you yet another way of playing around stall, as it can weaken something like Chansey, or Skarmory down to half putting it in range of Greninja's, or Mega Metagross' hits. The only thing that Tapu Fini doesn't have over Starmie is recovery, this means you can't switchin Tapu Fini to many hits especially if the opponent has a choice scarf Pheromosa and this is your main way of switching into it.

-->
Clefable just seems out of place on this team and just makes this team much weaker to
Mega Scizor, so I'd change it to Volcarona. Volcarona provides you with not only an excellent Scizor counter, but a win condition which this team originally lacked. Tapu Fini also provides Defog support for Volcarona meaning that it doesn't need to worry about taking Stealth Rock damage. Outside of checking Mega Scizor it can also setup on a Choice locked Pheromosa, which again is a huge threat. The biggest con this gives you, is losing a cleric. With the loss of a cleric this means you can't switch into Scalds or Thunder Waves without worry, but with the Misty Terrain provided by Tapu Fini, a cleric isn't really needed.

Lastly, making Terrakion
Choice Scarf over Choice Band benefits this team. With Choice Scarf Terrakion can deal with a boosted Charizard-X, and Volcarona which this team really had nothing for before this change. With it's nice speed tier outspeeding both Charizard and Volcarona, it can easily scare them out with a strong Stone Edge or just flat out kill them with it. However, with this change this team becomes a little weaker to Stall. CB Terrakion, while it isnt the greatest Stallbreaker can definitely dent stall teams opening a way for another mon to break stall. Ash Greninja + Metagross + Terrakion can somewhat deal with stall but only if you play very smart and not let something like a weakened chansey (from taking u-turn damage) recover putting it in range of say mega metagross' hits.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)