Project The Top 10 Titans of the 6th Gen OU Metagame

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Talonflame doesn't really invalidate any one Pokémon, but it does act as a massive constraint in the teambuilder phase. If you're building heavy offense you're going to have a very hard time dealing with CB and SD variants, whereas balanced and defensive builds have a hard time vs. BU, stallbreaker and bulky SD variants (stall moreso with stallbreaker than balance, who just faces it as a SpD psuedo-sponge/utility 'mon). Volcarona has been heavily limited by it, with it's sheer presence making a sweep impossible short of Coba Berry+HP Rock, and it's not exactly helped Pokémon like Celebi, Shaymin, Roserade etc. due to them having a hard time really touching it short of baiting it and having it catch a HP Rock as it comes in (or, in Celebi's case, U-turning/BPing on it). I think it has definitely played a major role in the viability of Rock-type coverage, with it being the sole reason that SEdge/Ancient Power is (or at least used to be) a thing on Heatran, and it is also a major part of why SEdge is the primary option for PhysDef Lando as opposed to Toxic or HP Ice or whatever else it can run in that slot. I think the sheer fact that offense often uses Lando as their Flying-type "resist" really says a lot about this 'mon, as beyond Talonflame it doesn't really make that good a Flying-type answer considering that jolly Mega Pinsir wins if it doesn't mega as it comes in (Hyper Cutter blocks drop, 100.7 - 118.8% -- guaranteed OHKO), adamant Mega Pinsir has a very good shot even if it does mega first when SR is up on Lando's side (83.2 - 98.1% -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) whereas it can't come in on Tornadus-T at all.

Talonflame: 20
Clefable: 10
Latios: 1
Bisharp: 1
Deoxys-S: 1
Mega Mawile: 1

Talonflame wins 7th place! Talonflame has long been an iconic member of the OU tier. Its priority Brave Bird has made it one of the most infamous priority users in history, allowing it to put enormous pressure on a wide variety of faster and frailer teams. This has made it a great revenge killer and sweeper, and the fact that its Roost also gets increased priority has in turn made it a solid defensive Pokemon and stallbreaker as well. Talonflame will likely go down as one of the first Pokemon people picture when they think of XY OU, making it a worthy addition to the list of titans.

Voting for #8
Once again, I'm torn between a couple of candidates (namely Bisharp, Latios, and Clefable). I might sit back again and see how this round plays out, maybe use my vote as a tiebreaker if it gets really close.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Clefable It has such few counterplay with Thunder Wave and has always been one of the best wincons in the meta for a while now.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Clefable makes the most sense at this point. It's just so splashable and it's been one of the best OU mons for all of ORAS.

Keldeo

A bit surprised the mon hasn't been brought up earlier but this baby is one of the most devastating attacker throughout this entire generation where pretty much every team needs an adequate answer or two for it.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Clefable
Besides wasting a spot on goth and then immediately also putting sableye, I think the list looks pretty legit
9 and 10 are latios and keldeo for me

Clefable
Clefable has always been a consistent Pokemon since XY and has been the most dominant force in the OU metagame in the ORAS metagame. It is a very versatile Pokémon and most of its counters can be lured with Thunder Wave or a surprise coverage move.

Clefable

This one is much harder, it was between Latios and this thing, but Clef won for me.

This list would be perfect if not for Goth, but it is overall pretty great.

Clefable

Namely the premier defensive Fairy to prepare for nowadays and for quite a little while in the past. Clefable holds a very good utility and glue to itself that can both patch up some weaknesses to a team, and provide excellent support in 2 veins. Clefable is easily the most splashable Pokemon in the game, and also hinders a great many Pokemon in OU, as well as a few things that were supposed to counter it if the moveset allows it. If this thing wasn't so easy to bait out with stuff like Taunt, it would probably be higher. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Clefable
It's time now. I still think Talon should've been 6, this 7 and Lando-T 10 but it's w/e. It's one of the reasons why steels are so good and its why Klefki has been bobbing in and out of being good throughout the gen rather than consistently being up there (it can't win without Metal Sound, which involves saccing Toxic). All in all yeah this thing is the face of the meta and influences battling enough to be on this list.

Last edited:
Clefable. For reasons mentioned here. Should have been higher then lando T but democracy is what it is.

Clefable has constantly been the face of OU no Matter the tier trends has defined what it means to be a fairy and while not the centralizing threat that talonflame or the top 5 are is something that must be prepared for seperating good teambuilders from the the bad. It's time

clef

idk why ya'll are literally getting boners for lando - t which has only rocketed to near clef in recent months but clef is definitely far more deserving. If anything it should be #9 or 10, but you decided to put it in #6 - tome, recent metagame trends that significantly favor a mon shouldn't be viewed as being significant of its performance and/or significance the entire gen.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Latios

idk why no ones been voting for this beast but its been consistently a top tier threat for as long as ive been playing and just has an incredible amount of versatility

Deoxys-S

This thing was the definition of revenge killing. Also made HO a really dominant play style thanks to the advantages it gave in speed, versatility, and hazards. Cant see Bisharp on this list without this or Deoxys-D imo.

Latios

idk why no ones been voting for this beast but its been consistently a top tier threat for as long as ive been playing and just has an incredible amount of versatility
Latios was considered a liability at the beginning of XY and didn't really take off until Mega Mawile and Aegislash got banned ( late XY ). While good in ORAS, giving the king of OU ( of XY) a free switch in kinda counts against it. Plus, most things early XY like Mega Kanga, Mega Mawile, Mega Sableye, Mega Lucario and Greninja all easily beat it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)