SS PU The Ultimate Storm

I got bored while waiting for my takeout order to come, and I thought, "Hey, why not make a pokemon team?" That was how The Ultimate Storm was born.

Meowstic (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Yawn

One of the two rain setters of the team and the Pokemon the team was built around of. Meowstic runs the usual moves of weather and Yawn, and I chose to run Psychic and Thunderbolt as to not get completely destroyed by Pawniard. The special defense EVs are there because of Prankster and due to the fact Meowstic is fast to begin with.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Weather Ball

When I think of PU Rain Teams, I think of Ludicolo. Ludicolo's goal is to kill as many things as possible before it or the rain goes down. The set is pretty self explanitory to be honest, and the EVs are too.

Beartic @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Icicle Crash

Beartic is a very underrated Rain Sweeper, even though it's mostly known for being good on Hail teams. Swords Dance and Aqua Jet give Beartic the ability to sweep hard. Superpower is there for coverage, and Icicle Crash is Beartic's main STAB move.

Falinks @ Expert Belt
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- First Impression

Falinks is mostly here to deter Defoggers from removing the Spikes that Glalie sets if you choose to lead with said Glalie. No Retreat and Close Combat are mandatory on Falinks, as is Poison Jab to deter Fairies. First Impression is here because it enjoys surprising pokemon with it, and it does a heck of a lot of damage.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surf
- Knock Off
- Thunderbolt
- Nuzzle

As I was making my team, I noticed a lot of it is electric-weak. So I added Pikachu to stop that and immediately threaten a sweep. Surf is mandatory as it can destroy the only weakness Pikachu has. Knock off is also mandatory, because of the sheer power removing items has. Thunderbolt is Pikachu's main STAB move, and I chose Nuzzle over Thunder Wave as Nuzzle is 100% accurate.

Glalie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Spikes
- Ice Shard
- Iron Head

Glalie is a hazard setter and an alternate rain setter if one of the potential leads is something Meowstic doesn't like. I chose to run a Physical set as Glalie gets access to Ice Shard and Glalie is pretty slow, and I also chose to run Super Fang to remove walls from existence.

And that's it! I hope the team it's at least fun to put some thought into it. I personally love it and would like to take it to the maximum possible on the ladder so like I said any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Have a great day and if you're here thanks for reading!

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
hey iLiekMudkipz_, - thanks for posting the team.

Weather teams are always fun to use in PU but can be tricky to consistently pull off now with our best prankster setter in liepard moving up in usage and bulky water resists like shiinotic, scarf leafeon, lapras, gourgeist-super, and pu's newest drop, appletun, being prevalent. I have some changes that would optimize your rain team for you, as right now you have a large amount of questionable/unviable move sets and ev spreads such as iron Head glalie and 252 spa /252 spd timid nature meowstic.

set changes:

:ludicolo:
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Starting off, I see your reasoning for running weather ball and focus blast on Ludicolo since weather ball is stronger than surf under rain and focus blast hits water resists like type: null harder; however, using weather ball outside of rain can be very costly as it becomes a non-STAB 50 base power attack. I would suggest running Hydro Pump over Weather Ball as it hits harder under rain and is more reliable outside of it. Surf is a more reliable option over Hydro Pump, albeit weaker, so that Ludicolo does not have to worry about Hydro Pump's shaky accuracy when faced with threats like Mr. Rime. I think running Rain Dance over Focus Blast is also a good idea because Meowstic is really your only reliable Rain Dance setter as Glalie isn't even running Damp Rock.

:meowstic-m:
Meowstic (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Yawn
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic

Meowstic's standard set on Rain teams is usually Rain Dance / Yawn / Thunder Wave / Psychic. Your current ev spread and move set is not very optimal because it does not maximize the amount of times Meowstic can set rain dance for your team. Running Thunderbolt over Thunder Wave is a bit questionable because it means that you are giving up needed speed control and utility outside of prankster rain dance, as well as the fact that even with max special attack, meowstic is still rather passive. I would recommend using the aforementioned move set in tandem with 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD EVs for maximizing bulk and the number of times that Meowstic can set up rain dance for your team.

:falinks:
Falinks @ Lum Berry / Shed Shell
Adamant Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn / Zen Headbutt

I wouldn't recommend running first impression on this falinks set since it tends to make it harder for falinks to find set up opportunities (as it usually takes a good amount of damage after it uses first impression/isn't very bulky prior to the defense boosts from no retreat). Instead, I would do megahorn or zen headbutt over it which allows falinks to reliably beat bulky psychic-types like musharna and beheeyem and poison-types like silvally-poison, roselia, and Mareanie. I would also swap out expert belt for lum berry because it allows falinks to circumvent status users like will-o-wisp gourgeist-super and other pokemon running toxic/ effect spore shiinotic. You can even try running shed shell on falinks, which allows it to potentially set up again later / avoid being revenge killed by faster scarfers like manectric, since it traps itself with no retreat.

pokemon changes:

:choice scarf: :manectric: --> :pikachu:
Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Switcheroo
- Overheat

In my opinion, switching out Pikachu for Manectric would be best because Manectric synergies with the rest of the team better. For example, Manectric is able to use a stronger Thunder under rain and cripple threats to your team like type: null, roselia / shiinotic with switcheroo, while also having the option of getting free momentum on predicted switches and safely bringing in your rain abusers like Beartic thanks to volt switch. In general, Manectric is just a more reliable electric immunity and speed control option for your team thanks to its better bulk and speed tier.

:leftovers: / :damp rock: :mawile: --> :glalie:
Mawile @ Leftovers / Damp Rock
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Rain Dance
- Metal Burst

I noticed that your team lacked both a stealth rock user and check to silvally poison, so i ended up swapping glalie for mawile, which was hindering the team a little bit. The EV spread on mawile allows it to ohko timid glaceon locking into freeze dry after stealth rock back with metal burst and also always live flamethrower from all the silvally forms and ohko them back with metal burst. Damp Rock is an option over leftovers if you opt for focus blast over rain dance on ludicolo.

Importable:
:meowstic-m: :ludicolo: :beartic: :manectric: :falinks: :mawile:
Meowstic (M) @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Yawn
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Switcheroo
- Overheat

Adamant Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Rain Dance
- Metal Burst

Hope I helped! :psyglad:

Last edited:
hey iLiekMudkipz_, - thanks for posting the team.

Weather teams are always fun to use in PU but can be tricky to consistently pull off now with our best prankster setter in liepard moving up in usage and bulky water resists like shiinotic, scarf leafeon, lapras, gourgeist-super, and pu's newest drop, appletun, being prevalent. I have some changes that would optimize your rain team for you, as right now you have a large amount of questionable/unviable move sets and ev spreads such as iron Head glalie and 252 spa /252 spd timid nature meowstic.

set changes:

:ludicolo:
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Starting off, I see your reasoning for running weather ball and focus blast on Ludicolo since weather ball is stronger than surf under rain and focus blast hits water resists like type: null harder; however, using weather ball outside of rain can be very costly as it becomes a non-STAB 50 base power attack. I would suggest running Hydro Pump over Weather Ball as it hits harder under rain and is more reliable outside of it. Surf is a more reliable option over Hydro Pump, albeit weaker, so that Ludicolo does not have to worry about Hydro Pump's shaky accuracy when faced with threats like Mr. Rime. I think running Rain Dance over Focus Blast is also a good idea because Meowstic is really your only reliable Rain Dance setter as Glalie isn't even running Damp Rock.

:meowstic-m:
Meowstic (M) @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Yawn
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic

Meowstic's standard set on Rain teams is usually Rain Dance / Yawn / Thunder Wave / Psychic. Your current ev spread and move set is not very optimal because it does not maximize the amount of times Meowstic can set rain dance for your team. Running Thunderbolt over Thunder Wave is a bit questionable because it means that you are giving up needed speed control and utility outside of prankster rain dance, as well as the fact that even with max special attack, meowstic is still rather passive. I would recommend using the aforementioned move set in tandem with 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD EVs for maximizing bulk and the number of times that Meowstic can set up rain dance for your team.

:falinks:
Adamant Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

I wouldn't recommend running first impression on this falinks set since it tends to make it harder for falinks to find set up opportunities (as it usually takes a good amount of damage after it uses first impression/isn't very bulky prior to the defense boosts from no retreat). Instead, I would do megahorn or zen headbutt over it which allows falinks to reliably beat bulky psychic-types like musharna and beheeyem and poison-types like silvally-poison, roselia, and Mareanie. I would also swap out expert belt for lum berry because it allows falinks to circumvent status users like will-o-wisp gourgeist-super and other pokemon running toxic/ effect spore shiinotic. You can even try running shed shell on falinks, which allows it to potentially set up again later / avoid being revenge killed by faster scarfers like manectric, since it traps itself with no retreat.

pokemon changes:

:choice scarf: :manectric: --> :pikachu:
Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Switcheroo
- Overheat

In my opinion, switching out Pikachu for Manectric would be best because Manectric synergies with the rest of the team better. For example, Manectric is able to use a stronger Thunder under rain and cripple threats to your team like type: null, roselia / shiinotic with switcheroo, while also having the option of getting free momentum on predicted switches and safely bringing in your rain abusers like Beartic thanks to volt switch. In general, Manectric is just a more reliable electric immunity and speed control option for your team thanks to its better bulk and speed tier.

:leftovers: / :damp rock: :mawile: --> :glalie:
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Rain Dance
- Metal Burst

I noticed that your team lacked both a stealth rock user and check to silvally poison, so i ended up swapping glalie for mawile, which was hindering the team a little bit. The EV spread on mawile allows it to ohko timid glaceon locking into freeze dry after stealth rock back with metal burst and also always live flamethrower from all the silvally forms and ohko them back with metal burst. Damp Rock is an option over leftovers if you opt for focus blast over rain dance on ludicolo.

Importable:
:meowstic-m: :ludicolo: :beartic: :manectric: :falinks: :mawile:
Meowstic (M) @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Yawn
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Switcheroo
- Overheat

Adamant Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Rain Dance
- Metal Burst

Hope I helped! :psyglad:
Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: TJ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)