Walrus The Wall Ross Walrus [Final Standings up]

Introduction
In another universe there is a man named ‘Wall Ross’, and he has no idea how to search for his own music. He’s actually kinda fuzzy on what music is actually, he just knows that he likes it. Anyways, Wall Ross has hired me to recommend some songs to him, and because I’m a lazy prick I’ll be subcontracting searching for the songs to all of you and just rating them myself. You may think ‘Why don’t you just grab random songs then?’, but you see, Wall Ross is a particular man. He needs songs to fit what he’s currently doing or he won’t be satisfied and I won’t be paid. So I’m going to need you to send in songs fitting certain categories (because, again, this is too much work for me) in order to be rated and forwarded to Wall Ross.
Scoring
All songs will be scored on a scale of 0.0 to 10.0 points based on how much I liked them and will receive between 0.1 and 3.0 points depending on how well I think it fits the theme, with an extra point being awarded to whoever fit the theme the best that category. You can also receive an extra half a point if the artist is someone I’ve heard of but don’t listen to and a whole point if I’ve never heard of the artist. This bonus will be reduced to zero if I’ve received a submission by this artist in an earlier category. This makes for a total maximum score of 15.0 points and a minimum of 0.1 points per round.
Note: Every single player’s lowest category score will be dropped. So if you can’t think of anything for a category then don’t worry, you have one chance to catfail without any consequences.
Musical Preferences:
As for genres I hate, I don’t have many (yet, you guys may give me more), but I loathe country and anything that sounds like generic Top 40 pop. Rap tends to be hit or miss. As for music I like you can look through the banned artists section to get a better picture of that, but I’m open to most genres. In general I like metal and songs with aggressive instrumentals and/or vocals but it’s not a requirement. Screamo is nice as long as it’s not grating. EDM like Madeon or Porter Robinson and chill hip-hop like Nujabes are great. Mashups are cool too. I’ve been meaning to listen to more vocal kei, ska, and punk if anyone feels like sending that in. I like Eurobeat and Touhou remixes but I’ve heard A LOT of them. Well-tuned vocaloids are fine, bad vocaloid music makes me want to burn my ears off like nothing else. I listen to more music in Japanese than in English but this isn’t necessarily a musical taste thing, just hobbies. Music in any language is fine as long as I can find the lyrics somewhere. If I can’t then your score will suffer a minor bump downwards. (Although if you’re trying to cover up for terrible lyrics, congrats, you’ve damage controlled well.)
Banned Artists/Songs:
I’ll check submissions and inform you if they violate this banlist ahead of time, so no, you don’t need to check this fully, just glance over it once.
IOSYS
TaNaBaTa
Akatsuki Records
Shibayan Records
s3rl
Moe Shop
Triple-Q
nakinkyo
Nujabes
Eve
PinnochioP
Araki (he’s an utaite, songs which he’s covered are fine as long as they aren’t his version)
MAN WITH A MISSION
Trevor Moore
Tenacious D
Ninja Sex Party
Queen
Bon Jovi
Porter Robinson
UtsuP
Saya no Uta OST
Kaiji OST
Yuru Yuri OST
Yuru Camp OST
Anime openings/endings from 2016 or later.
Anything from this playlist or this one or even this one
Anything I’ve submitted to a past walrus.
Any of the category examples or anything I’m going to use as a header. (The headers are cat titles, you can’t send them in by mistake.)
Rules and Misc.
You can message me songs or questions on Kongregate, Mafia Universe, Smogon, , or at BLOODY#1832 on discord.
If your song doesn’t fit the category it’s a cat fail. Cat fails don’t get points. If you think your song may be a cat fail, tell me ahead of time so I can check or risk getting told without much time to fix it.
All songs must be submitted in one of three forms: Youtube link; Soundcloud link; or a link to a download the song in FLAC, MP3 320, or MP3 V0 format.
I need all songs at least three days before each category’s reveal. Preferably I’d like all songs earlier than that, but that’s the hard deadline.
All of the songs I show as examples I like and fit the category fairly well. The songs for the category titles may or may not fit the category, I just think the titles fit.
If you want to get maximum theme points then pay attention to the flavor text.
There is a hard limit of 20 minutes on the length of any song. Please, PLEASE, don’t make it your goal in life to hit this every round or I’ll have to shorten it for everyone or delay judging. Anything under 10 minutes I generally won’t mind.
Yes my scores will be arbitrary for the most part. It’s hard to quantify how much you like a song or set an incredibly consistent scoring system up. Feel free to yell “ROBBED” and such, but any actual complaints about my scoring will be promptly ignored. It’s for fun, the scores will reflects my tastes, you get the program.

Categories
1: Romeo and Cinderella
Wall Ross has just fallen in love with a beautiful lady, Wallrina, and he needs a song to properly confess his love to her. Luckily none of our songs exist in his universe, so she won’t realize he didn’t write it himself. Wall Ross wants to confess on their universe’s Christmas Eve, so the deadline is the midnight of March 20th, CST.
For this category send in a love song. If you want full score on the theme send in a song whose lyrics are speaking positively about the emotion (ie not about heartbreak, divorce, cheating, that kind of thing), but any sort of song about love will work.
2: MIDNIGHT FLIGHT: A Lonely Christmas Eve
Wall Ross’s confession was accepted, much to his happiness, but Wallrina has to move to (the parallel universe’s) New York City tonight! Now Wall Ross is busy wallowing in his depression at home on Christmas Eve and wants some sad songs to listen to while he does so.
For this category send in a sad song. The sadder I think it is the more points you’ll get on the theme. This applies to both sound and lyrics, but I’ll probably put more weight on the sound unless the lyrics are singing about gumdrops and unicorns to sad piano or something.
3: All Around The World
Wall Ross has picked himself up after a few very depressing days, and has decided to travel to New York himself to surprise Wallrina and reunite with his one true love! Before he starts his journey he wants some songs to listen to about destinations he might visit or the things he might do there.
For this category send in a song that’s about a place, region, or local custom (if you do this last option, provide more info with the submission). Maximum theme points will be awarded for submissions where the lyrics are about the place and don’t just mention them and for songs where instrumentation matches the location. (ie Music about Russia sounding Russian or music about Oktoberfest sounding German)
4: Can’t Defeat Airman
Wall Ross has travelled from his hometown of Wall City to the airport, and has prepared to board the first plane to Mexico (the tickets were cheaper than to New York) but he has one problem… he’s afraid of flying! Wall Ross needs to get over his fear of flying before the plane leaves tomorrow, and to do that he’s going to need to get acclimated by listening to some songs about flying. Preferably not scary ones.
For this category send in a song with lyrics about airplanes, flying, space, or the sky. Maximum theme points will be awarded to songs that paint flying in a positive light and/or that are mainly about flying.
5: Ghetto Gospel
Wall Ross has overcome his fear of flying and arrived in Mexico City! Now that he’s out of the airport however, he is scared for… other reasons. Wall Ross is pretty sure he heard a few gunshots, there’s a guy snorting weird powder over there, and a lot of people look very scary. In order to stay safe in Mexico City, Wall Ross wants to listen to some songs about this kind of stuff in order to learn more about it.
For this category send me songs about crime, drugs, gangs, and/or the ghetto. For maximum theme points send in songs that are focused on several of these rather than just doing drugs or committing a crime. No, alcohol and cigarettes are not being counted for drugs here unless there’s something illegal going on. (Such as brewing alcohol illegally)
6: What is a DJ?
Wall Ross has learned a lot after a few days in Mexico, and now he’s trying to find a way into the US. The only problem is that he’s almost broke (he didn’t think this out well) and has nobody he knows in Mexico. He was prepared to cut his losses and see if he couldn’t find a way back home, but then he found a flyer! “8th Annual DJ Versus Competition, Mexico City. Winner gets to do a live mix in El Paso, Texas all expenses paid!” Well, it looks like Wall Ross just found his ticket into the US. But first he needs to learn how to DJ and win the competition! For that he’ll want some songs that show off good mixing or how to get a crowd pumped up and involved.
For this category send in songs mixed by DJs (preferably live) or songs where the crowd gets pumped up. More theme points are given for songs where both of these are present and for how technically impressive the mixing is and/or how pumped up/involved the crowd is.
NOTE: You can submit long DJ sets, but please give timestamps for which part of the set I need to listen to. Transitions are important, so it’s fine to include more than normal, I’d rather I listen to parts of three songs than have some of the most creative parts cut off.
7: All I Need Are Things I Like
Wall Ross managed to study a lot in time for the competition, winning his way into doing a set in a club in El Paso, Texas! He’ll even get paid a little bit for it! Wall Ross packed his stuff and within the week was in El Paso, Texas, where he played a great set. After the show, while thinking to himself about how to get to New York City, Wall Ross started talking to himself. A man overheard him and said that he was in charge of a small transport business, and that he was willing to let Wall Ross drive a shipment he had going out to West Virginia, but that he’d need to talk to him first and get to know him. Wall Ross accepted and they started talking, but then the man asked what Wall Ross liked. Wall Ross was very confused by this question. Well, he liked Wallrina, but he couldn’t really think of anything else at the moment. He just did the DJ stuff to get here, and he’s not sure what the man wants to hear. Wall Ross quickly excused himself to the bathroom, and now he’s trying to brainstorm what he likes and needs songs urgently to give him ideas.
For this category send in songs about people liking something such as an item, an activity, or anything really. Alternatively you can send in a song about something you like. [No, you liking the artist doesn’t count unless they spend the whole song talking about themselves.] (Songs about something you in particular like will score 0.1 on theme points unless they meet the other requirement, but are easier to submit.)
8: On The Road Again
Wall Ross managed to talk to the man without too much trouble after figuring out a few things he could say he liked and is now trucking all the way from Texas to West Virginia. The only problem is that he isn’t used to being a trucker and this is kinda tough on him. He’s going to need some instrumental music to keep him awake while driving without distracting him too much with lyrics.
For this category send in any song that’s completely instrumental. Everyone will start at 3.0 theme points for this category and lose a whole point every single time someone says something. This caps at 0.1 theme points, and if there are more three lyrics throughout the song then sorry, it’s a catfail instead. There will be no winner for the extra theme point unless something stands out as matching the theme extremely well, which I doubt anything will.
9: Mr. Roboto
Wall Ross managed to deliver the truck to West Virginia without too much trouble, but when he delivered the load he heard some noises coming from inside the crate while unloading it. He opened up the crate, afraid that someone was trapped inside, and found a metal man inside. Confused, he cautiously asked it what it was, and that’s when he was introduced to Mr. Roboto. Mr. Roboto is a state of the art machine, a combination of metal and man, and he really doesn’t to be sold off to help bottle Coca Cola. Wall Ross and Mr. Roboto struck a deal. Mr. Roboto will get Wall Ross to New York City and in exchange Wall Ross won’t deliver him. Mr. Roboto then told Wall Ross to “Hop on.” gesturing to his shoulders. Wall Ross, confused, jumped on and then Mr. Roboto blasted off into the sky, beginning to travel towards New York City. Now Wall Ross is sorta scared (he’s still not completely over his fear of flying) and confused, and he needs some songs about robots and technology to understand this!
For this category send in songs about robots, computers, or other marvels of modern technology. Songs about futures either utopian or dystopian due to technology are also acceptable. Maximum theme points will be awarded to songs that focus the most on positive uses of futuristic technology and/or robots.
10: 8675-309
Mr. Roboto flew Wall Ross to New York City, and then went on his way. Now Wall Ross is finally in New York City, and is ready to visit Wallrina! Er, or he WOULD be, but… he’s not sure where she lives. Well, Wall figures that he’s done well keeping this visit a surprise so far and that it’s alright to contact her now to figure out where she lives, but… how exactly is he supposed to do that? He could write a letter (although he has nowhere to send it to), call her, send her an email, or maybe even send something by carrier pigeon. Wall Ross wants to listen to some songs about communication to figure out what the most appropriate way to do this is.
For this category I want you to send me a song about any method of communication. Messages in bottles, phones, morse code, letters, they’re all fair game here.
11: Out of Control (Nothing’s Carved in Stone)
Wall Ross decided to call Wallrina and… it turns out she has a boyfriend in New York City. She only accepted Wall Ross’s confession because she was moving and thought it would make him feel better. Wall Ross, depressed, thought about leaving New York City, but… no, no, he can’t do that! He came so far and did so much to get here! He’s going to find Wallrina’s real boyfriend and beat him up! Once he does that Wallrina will know that Wall Ross is the better candidate! The only thing he needs to do first is find a badass song to set the fight to!
For the this category I want you to send a song that would be an awesome theme to set a fight to.
12: Pride from Despair
Wall Ross valiantly went to fight Wallrina’s boyfriend and… well, he got his ass kicked. His battle music and two hours of research into fighting didn’t seem to help him much. He limped away, defeated, falling into the depths of despair when he realized something. It didn’t matter if he had Wallrina. He traveled all the way to New York City and achieved a lot along the way. So what if he doesn’t have a girlfriend! Wall Ross thinks he’s awesome and that’s all that matters! Now he just needs some music to keep this thought in his head so he doesn’t get depressed again.
For this category send in motivational songs that talk about having pride in oneself, how special/awesome you are, or that tell you to be in a good mood. You get more theme points if, just like this category title, you’re supposed to do this in the face of sadness.

The deadline for the first cat is midnight, March 20th, CST.
1. BrainpanSonata (aka KnightsOfCydonia)
3. DaLetterEl
4. Aladyyn
5. shubaka17
6. Myzozoa
7. LordQuas
8. Lebossle
9. Robert Alfons
10. Newcomb
11. Zack
12. Manasi
13. Owner Of A Lonely Heart
14. Energy
15. EvanManManMan
16. Viggorous
17. Moose.
18. qwertyuiopazs

Last edited:
The first reveal will be on Friday the 22nd at 8 PM CST. Category 1 is Romeo and Cinderella.
Submissions for cat one are now closed, although for the time being anyone can still submit if they're fine with having their first cat as the one they have to drop for the lowest score. The final player count is 17.

Category 1: Romeo and Cinderella

Note: Places are ordered by their song ratings, not their total scores.

Header:
Romeo and Cinderella by Hanantan

17th Place:
Creeping by Lil Skies ft. Richie the Kid
“Pussy sweeter than some juice”
I feel like this is less a love song and more just the singer saying “Hey yo I slay the pussy”. Oh well, close enough, no catfail. Also, I don’t automatically hate autotune, but I feel like it was used badly here. So yeah, all said I said rap would be really hit or miss and this missed.
Side note: I think this is a song that this asshole who uses the dorm showers blares on some sort of waterproof speaker(?) way too loudly while showering, allowing me to hear it from my room. That may have made me slightly biased but it would score badly either way. Oh well.
Total: 3.5 rating + 0.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 5.4 points
Submitted by EvanManManMan

16th Place:
Can't Take My Eyes Off of You by Lauryn Hill
Not a huge fan of this sound, but I don’t hate it either. I like how the backing voices change near the end of the song.
Total: 6.2 rating + 2.6 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.8 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

15th Place:
Little Bit of Love by Katie Herzig
Seems a bit more about loving everyone than a romance thing, but that’s fine. The backing is pretty cheerful, goes well enough with the vocals. Don’t particularly like or dislike the song, although I get the distinct impression that this is the kind of song that would be put in one of those commercials where they have this happy family and a scenic view and are like “BUY THE TOYOTA CARMCCARFACE 2019 NOW FOR ONLY $2,000,000 DOWN PAYMENT”. Not really a bad or good thing, just something that came to mind.
Total: 6.4 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 8.2 points
Submitted by qwertyuiopazs

14th Place:
Your Hand Holding Mine by Yellow Days
This is pretty chill. I don’t really have much of an opinion besides that to be honest, so I’m just going to note that it’d be awesome if all elevators played this type of music instead of shitty elevator music.
Total: 6.5 rating + 1.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.4 points
Submitted by Viggorous

13th Place:
It’s Strange by Louis the Child ft. K.Flay (LeMarquis Remix)
I liked how the backing started out in particular, not really a fan of the singer. I feel the need to make a joke about snapping_sound_sample.wav, but it didn’t affect my opinion either way. Pretty chill. I would probably like it a little more without vocals but then it wouldn’t fit the cat.
Total: 6.7 rating + 2.2 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.9 points
Submitted by Newcomb

12th Place:
Up Till Dawn (On The Move) by Lucas and Steve
A little generic sounding for EDM, but it’s alright. I’m not grading based on music videos but I watched this one and it was very amusing. Alpacas are nice.
Total: 6.8 rating + 2.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.8 points
Submitted by Energy

11th Place:
You And I by Wilco
This is nice. Chill. Seems like something I could fall asleep to, but in a good way. The vocals are... refreshing? Not sure how to describe it, kinda like a palate cleanser after some other music. Lyrics are really fitting too.
Total: 7.1 rating + 3.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.0 points [Theme winner for this cat, congrats]
Submitted by DaLetterEl

10th Place:
Make It Wit Chu remixed by Virgin Magnetic Material
This is nice, I think I’m gonna have to check out this band. Seems like the kind of thing you listen to while chilling back on a long car drive.
Total: 7.2 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.0 points
Submitted by Manasi

9th Place:
I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk
This has over half a billion views on Youtube, is this popular? I legitimately don’t know, I just feel like someone is going to call bull with it getting full bonus points with that many views because I’ve never heard of The Weeknd or of this song. Anyways, the backing kinda reminds me of vaporwave. Not a huge fan of the singer but the sudden drop in by Daft Punk was cool, I love them. Also, as a last note: Is this song about an orgasm? The chorus sure made me think it was.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.2 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.5 points
Submitted by Lebossle

8th Place:
Really Love by D'Angelo & The Vanguard
I REALLY liked the first couple of minutes. Was wondering how the sound would fit in with the theme, but either way was a big fan of the ominous violins and whatever would come of the Spanish whispering in the background. Then it just kinda… changed and I wasn’t a big fan of the vocalist and I was sadly thinking “I wanted that part but for the whole song.” Also, what WAS with that whispering? Just kinda left me hanging, but maybe I can blame my bad Spanish for that so whatever.
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.1 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.5 points
Submitted by Robert Alfons

7th Place:
For Your Love by Marching Band
I didn’t think I’d rate it well about halfway through the first play, but after listening to it a couple times this really grew on me. I can dig this vocalist and I like how the instrumental changes throughout the song.
Also: We’ve got a long way to go. A long way to go until the end of the walrus.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.1 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.6 points
Submitted by OwnerOfALonelyHeart

6th Place:
Love You So Bad by Ezra Furman
“Like the kid in the back of the classroom
Who can't do the math 'cause he can't see the blackboard, so bad”
That was me, except I was near the front and just didn’t own glasses for a while. Anyways, I like the emotion in the vocals and the song in general.
Also, side note: The music video shows a letter from University of California: Berkeley but says that she “somehow managed to get into college”. As far as I recall it’s fucking hard to get in, I call BS music video. She was either doing amazing in school beforehand or had some serious connections. This doesn’t affect the rating at all, it just bothered me.
Total: 7.6 rating + 2.3 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.0 points
Submitted by Zack

Last edited:
5th Place:
Ballad of Worms by Cage
I was really split on the theme score for this one. I considered both giving it a really high score because the singer does love her a lot going by the lyrics and giving it a really low score just because of how depressing it is for the cat, but it ended up somewhere in the middle of that. As for the song itself I like the backing and it tells a cool story. I don’t particularly like or dislike the rapping, but I really like the vocals on the chorus.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.6 points
Submitted by LordQuas

4th Place:
The Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room) by Flight of the Conchords
The way he pronounces “kebab” kills me. Anyways, it got a few laughs out of me and the song itself sounds pleasant and is pretty relaxing. If this song was on the street, depending on the street, it would definitely be in the top three playing. Depending on the street.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.1 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.0 points
Submitted by Moose.

3rd Place:
Darling by Girl’s Day
This sounds happy. Now I’m happy. Yay. Also, I like how it’s a little jazzy without going full on jazz.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.6 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.7 points
Submitted by Aladyyn
2nd Place:
Walking Towards Me by 馬念先 & 9m88
Kinda hard to judge the theme with the lyrics in google translate but it seemed to do pretty well. I liked the backing, was something I could groove along to and the voices went well with it. Also, this was one of the last references I expected to see:

Total: 8.2 rating + 2.2 theme + 1.0 bonus 11.4 points
Submitted by Shubaka17
1st Place:
More Than Words by Extreme
This is some pretty sick acoustic in the background, I’m digging the main singer too. Also, good job getting a song from 1990 to start your theme. Doubly fitting.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.4 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.9 points
Submitted by BrainpanSonata

Closer:
From Under Cover (Caught in a Love Song) by Foreground Eclipse

The next reveal will be at 6 PM CST on the 25th, but as long as you get your song to me a few hours before the reveal then it's fine.

Final scores for this category:

TOO MANY VIDEO LINKS HAS ANGERED SMOGON. TO ACCESS THE VIDEOS FOR THIS CAT, YOU MAY GO TO https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/21484-The-Wall-Ross-Walrus OR https://www.kongregate.com/forums/7099-forum-games/topics/1808833-the-wall-ross-walrus

Last edited:
Category 2: MIDNIGHT FLIGHT: A Lonely Christmas Eve

Header:

Midnight Flight: Hitori Bocchi no Christmas Eve by Shogo Hamada
https://youtu.be/srSlmu1fmSk

16th place:
Nothing
Submitted by Manasi and Viggorous

15th place:
Headless Horseman by The Microphones
I know the lyrics are sad and all but this song just feels… boring. And that kinda takes me out of it. I can’t really get into any sort of mood besides “I wish there was some more variation here.” while listening to the song and it’s a shame.
Total: 5.3 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 8.1 points
Submitted by Zack

14th place:
Sadgasm - Magerine
This is unable to make me sad at all. Instead I just burst out laughing listening to this. I think I have a feeling that I know what your next subs are going to be like.
Total: 5.6 rating + 0.6 theme + .0 bonus = 6.2 points
Submitted by Moose.

13th place:
Blues Run The Game by Jackson C. Frank
Oh, it’s literally about alcoholism and depression. Nice, fitting even if it doesn’t make me super sad. Not really my cup of tea as far as music goes but the guitar and vocals are fine overall and I feel like I might be able to like some of his other songs more if it scratched the right itch.
Total: 6.5 rating + 2.4 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.9 points

12th place:
Celia’s Dream by Slowdive
I can dig this, it’s chill and I really like how it ends with everything just kinda turning into a mass of noise (I tried to find a wording that didn’t sound crazy, but oh well, I couldn’t). It doesn’t really make me sad so much as relaxed, but the lyrics do fit the cat.
Total: 7.0 rating + 1.3 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.3 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

11th place:
No Surprises by Radiohead
He just wants to live a quiet life. I guess Radiohead should’ve been Kira’s stand instead. Also, I don’t listen to Radiohead much, but between this and Creep, I see a pattern. Is their job just to make me sad?
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.5 theme + .0 bonus = 9.9 points

10th place:
Exit Music by Radiohead
Oh. This is sad. The instrumental is really neat and I can really feel the emotion in the vocals. Good job.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.7 theme + .0 bonus = 10.2 points
Submitted by LordQuas

9th place:
Secret Handshakes by The Ataris
I acknowledge that these lyrics are sad, but it kinda makes me want to rock out instead. Anyways, on that note, that was pretty good, the backing was sick and I think they did the “vocals I can barely understand” right on this one.
Total: 7.7 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.5 points
Submitted by Aldyyn

8th place:
Nobody by Mitski
The lyrics try to make me sad but the backing makes me happy and pumped up. I’m confused. Maybe this would’ve hit harder if I wasn’t in a functioning relationship right now. Anyways, on that note I like the backing a lot. Neutral towards the vocals.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.2 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.0 points
Submitted by Shubaka17

7th place:
Pieces by Sum 41
Ooh, angsty. Me likey. Backing is strong and it makes a sad enough mood, just barely managing to avoid the pitfall of making me want to rock out instead. Reminds me of Linkin Park.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.5 theme + .5 bonus = 10.8 points
Submitted by Energy

6th place:
Second Chances by Paper Route
Really like the vocals on this, that’s some sick ‘uhhhhhhhhhhh’ing. Instrumentals pick up towards the end with the vocals and kind of add a sense of chaos or lack of control to it imo. Or maybe I’m just playing armchair music aficionado. Who knows. Either way, I liked it.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.6 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.5 points
5th place:
Long Live the Queen by Frank Turner
This is pretty sick, it tells a good story and I like the emotion in the singer’s voice. The guitar is pretty good as well. I’ll have to check out some of his other work.
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.7 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.7 points
Submitted by Newcomb

4th place:
All Girls Are The Same - Juice WRLD
Damn, this beat is pretty sick. Rapping is pretty good as well, I can feel the sadness in his voice. Got a hit this round instead of a miss.
Total: 8.2 rating + 2.7 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.8 points

3rd place:
Sigh by Seiji Takahashi
I really like the vocals in this song and the way they turn into sort of haunting whispers competing with each other for a while. The piano accompanies the vocals well while leaving it to the vocals to carry the song along (in my opinion). Also, yeah, this is sad. Not the saddest, but sad.
Total: 8.5 points + 2.5 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.9 points
Submitted by :qwertyuiopazs

2nd place:
Creep by Vintage Postmodern Jukebox Radiohead ft. Haley Reinhart
Sometimes I listen to Creep for the purposes of self-loathing and all that good stuff, so this automatically made me sad due to some Pavlovian reflex. The instrumental is pretty nice, although I prefer the more aggressive sound of the original. I’m impressed by how well the singer can manipulate her voice.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.9 theme + .5 bonus = 11.8 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

1st place:
Electric Tears by Buckethead
This is incredibly atmospheric. I wanted to just lie down and let the guitar take me away on a journey with this one.
Total: 9.0 rating + 4.0 theme + .5 bonus = 13.5 points
Submitted by Lebossle

Closer:
Shiver by Lucy Rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o84y-5-cO0
The next reveal will be on Saturday the 30th. An exact time isn't determined yet, if you're planning on being at the reveal tell me what time is best. Once again I'll take subs up until a few hours before the reveal, the part about wanting subs a few days ahead of time only applies when I have a week in between reveals, aka when I'm not on break.

Last edited:
Category 3: All Around the World
A few changes this category. Viggorous and Manasi are tentatively dropped because the former seems to have forgotten about this and the latter is banned on MU. Manasi is still free to message me his subs on Smogon, Kongregate, or Discord though and I won't hold it against him for the time being because of extenuating circumstances. Isa is replacing them since they asked if they could sub late and I just lost two players, so why not. I'm also going to include the headers and the closers from the reveal because I honestly meant to but just forgot in the last two cats. I'll be updating the last cats to include theirs as well if anyone cares.

Header:
All Around the World by ATC

16th place:
So Good by B.o.B.
I don’t like this. I just really don’t. It’s hard to explain further, sorry. It’s just that this particular brand of music rubs me the wrong way.
Total: 4.0 rating+ 2.0 theme+ .0 bonus = 6.0 points
Submitted by Energy

15th place:
Love The Way You Move (Funk Overload) by Slightly Left of Centre
This sub makes me sad because I thought it was the original Rapsutin at first. That would’ve broken into the 9.X scores. It wasn’t. Anyways, I’m basically scoring nightcored Rasputin here. Rasputin is good, nightcore isn’t. Don’t remind me of my musical tastes in Freshman year of High School, nightcore is still bad.
Total: 4.5 rating+ 2.5 theme + .0 bonus = 7.0 points

14th place:
Nations of the World by The Animaniacs
This definitely fits. Sadly it doesn’t really say anything about the locations besides listing them off, but oh well, the point is to teach countries. Also, I have a couple of objections. Guam is a US territory and Scotland is a part of the UK, don’t just go calling them nations on their own.
Total: 5.0 rating + 2.9 theme + .5 bonus = 8.4 points
Submitted by Moose.

13th place:
Go to the Mardi Gras by Professor Longhair
I guess I know what I’m doing if I go to New Orleans. Anyways, not a huge fan but it definitely gets the listener into the mood and I can commend it on that. Also, apparently the Zulu King and Zulu Queen don’t literally refer to the royalty of a kingdom I was mostly sure didn’t exist anymore. Who would’ve guessed.
Total: 5.8 rating + 2.6 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.4 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

12th place:
Topanga by Trippie Redd
First of all, the “It ain’t over.” voice is incredibly obnoxious and I hate it. Leave me alone Navi. The gun shot sound effects are also annoying, but far less so. Besides that the beat itself is pretty cool and I like the flow. If it weren’t for the rest it would definitely be at least in the mid 7s.
Total: 5.9 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 8.7 points

11th place:
America Fuck Yeah! by Trey Parker
11th! Fuck yeah! (Fuck yeah?)
Total: 6.0 rating + 2.4 rating + 0.0 bonus = 8.4 points
Submitted by Lebossle

10th place:
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step-Mother! by Sufjan Stevens
I wasn’t sure how thematic it was at first but after looking over the lyrics this actually has a lot of references to the area. Alright then. I don’t have much for or against the song itself, it’s pretty relaxing if anything.
Total: 6.2 rating + 2.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.0 points
Submitted by Zack

9th place:
Ballad of the Sin Eater by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Overall the song is pretty average but I thought that the guitar solo was sick. I like the vocalist is pretty good and a short ways away from me digging it.
Total: 6.6 + 2.2 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.8 points
Submitted by Newcomb

8th place:
New York I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down by LCD Soundsystem
I initially read this as a Cat 2 sub and was trying to stop myself from tanking the theme score due to Kermit singing. Anyways, nice enough song although I wouldn’t listen to it myself. I like how it the guitarist just starts shredding it towards the end.
Total: 6.7 rating + 2.3 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.0 points
Submitted by LordQuas

7th place:
Istanbul by They Might Be Giants
It’s called Constantinople, and it’s the capital of the Ethiopian Empire, thank you very much.
Total: 6.8 rating + 2.5 theme + .0 bonus = 9.3 points

6th place:
West Coast by Coconut Records
The synth sounds very sad. Poor synth. Anyways, it’s alright. The vocals aren’t great but they aren’t terrible and the group “uhhhhhhhhhhh” was a nice touch.
Total: 7.0 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.8 points

5th place:
HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO
Oh god, I didn’t expect to hear this. I’m laughing my ass off and this is far more catchy than it has any right to be. Anyways, take your points, this is actually REALLY thematic.
Total: 7.3 rating + 4.0 theme + .0 bonus = 10.3 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

4th place:
Gang of Four - Ether
Not many comments on this, I rated this live(TM).
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.4 points
Submitted by Isa

3rd place:
Wolf Totem - The HU
I see that the Mongolians are very angry at me. Excuse me while I hide. Anyways, the song has a strong backing and I enjoy the unique vocals.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.4 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.2 points
Submitted by shubaka17
[video=youtube_share;jM8dCGIm6yc]

2nd place:
Sous le ciel de Paris by ZAZ
Yeah, this song is very french. Get me my baguette, my homeless French alchemist, and my artist’s hat. I like the way the song slowly speeds up and the vocals are nice.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.5 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.4 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

1st place:
Amsterdam by Scott Walker
This is some sick accordian. The vocals fit nice and I love how the instrumentals slowly pick up to reach the cacophony towards the end. Reminds me of a sea shanty.
Total: 8.6 rating + 2.4 rating + 1.0 bonus = 12.0 points

Closer:
Around the World by Daft Punk

Last edited:
Header:
Can’t Defeat Airman by SOUND HOLIC
16th place:
Like a G6 by The Cataracs & Dev
I liked the backing at first but then it stayed exactly the same and I stopped liking it. I just don’t like the vocals because I think they get really obnoxious sounding.
Total: 3.8 rating + 1.5 theme + 1.0 bonus = 6.3 points
Submitted by Lebossle
15th place:
Mega Man 2 Air Man Stage by Takashi Tateishi
I think you took the cat name too literally. This has no lyrics and given the cat title will bring only despair, but whatever, I don’t really want to catfail on such short notice and you tried. The actually song is decent but not something I’d listen to on my own. I feel like this is an important time quote “The songs for the category titles may or may not fit the category, I just think the titles fit.” from the OP as a warning.
Total: 6.0 rating + .1 theme + .5 bonus = 6.6 points
Submitted by Moose.
14th place:
At The Bottom of Everything by Bright Eyes
Not a big fan of the singer and the guitar is pretty basic. It’s alright though. Lower theme score because we’ve probably traumatized Wall Ross all over again by having him listen to this song.
Total: 6.1 rating + 1.5 theme + 1.0 bonus = 8.6 points
Submitted by Zack
13th place:
Fly Away by TheFatRat ft. Anjulie
FLY AWAY COUNTER: 1
I was confused upon opening this as I expected Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz. A Fly Away is still a Fly Away though. Oh, hey, it’s TheFatRat, I haven’t heard him in a while. Oh, now I remember why. It’s not that his music is bad, it’s just pretty generic which is a big “meh” for me when it comes to electronic music or dubstep. Still, it’s not bad.
Total: 6.7 rating + 2.6 theme + .0 bonus = 9.3 points
12th place:
Leaving On A Jet Plane by My Morning Jacket
I’m so confused. I know I’ve heard a way harder rock version of this on either the radio or from my dad’s but I can’t find it. It’s not this, it’s not John Denver, it’s not Chantal Kreviazuk, and it’s not Peter Paul and Mary. What the fuck. Anyways, I like this version, nice.
Total: 6.8 rating + 1.8 theme + .5 bonus = 9.1 points
Submitted by Myzozoa
11th place:
Learn To Fly by Foo Fighters
Your pretty standard classic rock song. Everything is fine overall and it puts me in a good mood. Only problem is that this song seems to have ties to a third player, I’m going to have to launch an investigation:

Total: 6.9 rating + 2.4 theme + .5 bonus = 9.8 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl and Energy
9th place:
In the Airplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel
Singer fits with the backing and I like the horns a lot. I’m still glad I didn’t host a hydra round though. Use horns in moderation.
Total: 7.0 rating + 2.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.0 points
Submitted by LordQuas
8th place:
California by Joni Mitchell
I watched an 80s OVA about California last night. It was weird and not particularly good. That’s completely unrelated to anything except the title of this song but I felt the need to mention it because it was an interesting coincidence. Anyways, the singer goes well with the backing and the guitar is alright. The song stays interesting enough throughout even if it doesn’t have any high points. Low theme but it isn’t a catfail because it does mention a plane.
Total: 7.2 rating + .9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.1 points
Submitted by Isa
7th place:
Fly (FKJ Remix) by June Marieezy
Not a big fan of the vocalist but it’s pretty chill and the backing is nice enough. Cool piano too.
Total: 7.2 rating + 2.1 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.3 points
Submitted by Newcomb
6th place:
Wake Up In The Sky by Gucci Mane ft. Bruno Mars & Kodak Black
This isn’t what I expected to hear from Bruno Mars after getting uptown funk’d up. But ooh, there’s a nice beat. Ooh, Gucci can sing. Ooh ooh ooh. Took a couple listens to grow on me. Kodak Black almost ruined it for me though, I don’t like his voice at all. It reminds me of Fran Drescher.
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.7 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.0 points

5th place:
Light Up The Sky by The Afters
If a bunch of Christian Rock enters my Youtube recs I’m blaming you. Overall the song is pretty alright, I like the vocalist and the backing is decent. A little generic sounding, but eh.
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.2 points
4th place:
Planes by Jefferson Airplane
Two airplanes for the price of one. Yeah, I didn’t know this song existed, nice one. The backing is good and the singing isn’t bad in my opinion. The music video is terrible but in a good way, although I don’t rate based on that.
Total: 7.6 rating + 4.0 theme + .0 bonus = 11.6 points
Submitted by RobertAlfons
3rd place:
Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz
FLY AWAY COUNTER: 2
For a second after seeing the song name I expected the “Fly Away” from Panty and Stocking and was very confused. Anyways, I haven’t heard this in ages, so thanks for the flashback. Was going to rate this lower but upon further review this has a sick backing and I can groove to it.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.2 theme + .5 bonus = 10.5 points
2nd place:
Planetary Space Child
So I’m just going to be straight with you and tell you I couldn’t find any lyrics and could barely understand any of them besides “Space Child” despite several attempts to do so so the theme is kinda low. The song itself is pretty trippy and I like that plus the strong backing and the floaty vocals.
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.9 points
Submitted by Shubaka17
1st place:
Fly by Blind Guardian
Oh, hey, it’s metal about Peter Pan.This some nice shredding and the vocals carry enough strength to go well with it. Overall a really solid track.
Total: 8.7 rating + 2.4 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.1 points
Submitted by Aladyyn
Closer:
Fly Away by Takahashi
FLY AWAY COUNTER: 3

And here's our scoreboard after this cat!

Aladyyn and Shubaka soar into the top three while RobertAlfons pulls his way up with the past two cats. There's still 2/3rds of the walrus left to go though, so there's plenty of room for a shakeup! Smogon's performances so far are dominating the competition, but lurking just behind the top pack are three competitors from MU and Kongregate, so we'll see if they manage to take the lead next reveal.
Category 5: Ghetto Gospel will be revealed on the night of the 13th.

Header:
Ghetto Gospel by 2Pac
16th:
You’ll Cowards Don’t Even Smoke Crack by Viper
I HATE IT. HE HATES IT. I HATE IT. HE HATES IT. Oh god, I’m getting a headache. I regret the decisions that led to this.
Total: 0.5 rating + 2.2 theme + 1.0 bonus = 3.7 points
Submitted by Moose.

15th:
Welcome To The Ghetto by Spice 1
It’s very thematically fitting but I loathe the backing. Like, it feels like a Casio keyboard preset is haunting my headphones while someone mediocre-ly raps at me. The bass is also kind of grating. So great job finding a song that fit the cat, but I don’t like it. This is the first song I’ve reviewed for Cat 5 and I feel like I’ll be thinking this a lot this cat.
Total: 2.5 rating + 4.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 7.5 points

14th:
Stan Loona by Loverboythug
The bass is attacking my ears and giving me a slight headache. Ahhhh. Anyways, uh, I heard some stuff about gangs and drugs. Couldn’t make it all out though. The vocalist reminds me of those fabled ‘Soundcloud Rappers’. Also, the sound effects suck.
Total: 4.5 rating + 2.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 7.5 points
Submitted by Shubaka17

13th:
Ten Track Commandments by Notorious B.I.G.
I don’t like this beat and not really a fan of Notorious’s flow. He does give good business advice though.
Total: 5.9 rating + 2.5 theme + 0.0 bonus = 8.4 points
Submitted by Energy

12th:
Paper Planes by M.I.A.
Oh hey, it’s this song. Not a big fan of anything in particular but it’s alright overall. Could do without the sound effects. Side note: I recall the osu! beatmap for this being shit because it was made ages ago and it brought me much suffering. Not holding that against the song though.
Total: 6.6 rating + 2.4 theme + .5 bonus = 9.5 points
Submitted by Lebossle

11th:
Preach by YoungBoy Never Broke Again
The singer and backing aren’t bad but I don’t feel like I can call them good either. If anything I guess I’d say they’re pretty generic sounding.
Total: 6.7 rating + 2.6 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.3 points

10th:
Diamonds & Wood by UGK
Rapping isn’t bad and the backing doesn’t really get on my nerves despite being repetitive, as most rap is. Overall a decent track. The way it ended with the instrumental cutting out was pretty good.
Total: 6.8 rating + 2.5 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.3 points
Submitted by RobertAlfons

9th:
Groovy Tony by ScHoolboy Q
The backing is above average for rap and the background vocals are neat. Rapping isn’t amazing but I like the emotion in his voice.
Total: 6.9 rating + 2.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.7 points
Submitted by Zack.

8th:
Street Dreams by Nas
Man, I really like Sweet Dreams (Are Made of the Years). That chorus pulled the score up a bit, but the song is decent on its own right. Vocalist isn’t bad and the backing is decent (if repetitive).
Total: 7.0 rating + 2.7 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.7 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

7th:
Liquid Swords by GZA
The beat is nice. Repetitive, but nice. I like the rapper as well, easily understandable and doesn’t sound grating.
Total: 7.2 rating + 2.5 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.7 points

6th:
Crack Music by Kanye West
The backing is really cool (neat horns) and it actually changes. Not a big Kanye fan but his performance here is pretty good, like his flow.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.6 theme + 0.0 bonus = 10.1 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

5th:
Shitsville by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib
The beat is pretty sick if repetitive and I like the aggressive vocals. I like it.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.7 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.4 points
Submitted by LordQuas

4th:
Block Episode by Masta Ace ft. Punch & Wordsworth
The backing is pretty nice, I like the guitar in it. Rappers are pretty good, Masta Ace’s rapping reminds me of Eminem. I like Eminem. (I’m aware Masta Ace is older, I’m just comparing it to what I know.) Told a good story too, which I appreciate.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.7 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.8 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

3rd:
Sunday's Best / Monday's Worst by Black Milk
I like the backing and how it actually changes, something that I’ve been in need of this cat. Anyways, the vocals are pretty good and I think fit the lyrics well (or maybe I mean his execution fit the lyrics well). The song also tells a pretty interesting story.
Total: 8.2 rating + 2.6 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.8 points
Submitted by Newcomb

2nd:
Good Bye, Mr. Jack by saskure.UK
I like the piano a lot and the song mixes calmer segments and more intense ones well. This would’ve been a great sub to the instrumental cat. The only problem is that I generally don’t score based on music videos and theme is almost solely given in the music video. I should’ve said this more explicitly in the rules but I never thought it would matter until someone asked me and I said “no” before noting it a few times in my cat comments. So far I haven’t referred to them and it’d be weird and slighlty unfair to change it 5 cats in. If I was rating based on video it would score a little than a point higher on theme. It is referenced in the title though and I think I could hear a reference in that garbled background voice at one point so I’ll refrain from catfailing. Oh well, I liked it, it hit fullplay, all is well. I’ll have to check out some of the artist’s other work.
Total: 8.4 rating + 0.5 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.9 points

1st:
Happiness by Token
I like the synth going on in the background, I can dig it. I also like the rapper, I can easily tell what he’s saying and he has a pretty good flow. On the downside this doesn’t really fit the cat, but I never did specify “illegal” drugs, just that alcohol and cigs didn’t count unless there was something illegal was going on with them. So I guess depression medication will allow it to squeak past with a low theme score.
Total: 8.4 points + 0.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.3 points

Closer:
Senpai Gone Love It by Triple-Q

Category 6: What's A DJ? will be revealed at 5 PM CST on the 21st.

Category 6: What Is A DJ?

Header:

What Is A DJ? By S3RL

15th:
No sub
Submitted by Energy

15th:
Couldn’t think of a song
Submitted by Zack

14th:
1 man drinking water extremely fast by JG
”Woah.”
Total: 0.0 rating + 0.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 0.0 points

13th:
Mine Diamonds by MineCraft Awesome Parodys
Yes, just as you claim, it is live. That’s enough to not catfail it. I will give it 0.1 for having a crowd of zero people though. Anyways, my ears hurt. Take On Me can’t save everything.
Total: 0.9 rating + 0.1 theme + .0 bonus (sadly) = 1.0 points
Submitted by EvanManMan

12th:
Morpheus Buress on the Eric Andre Show
Better than most soundcloud rappers. Made me laugh and it was short enough to not wear out its welcome. I never saw the crowd or anything but hey, it’s live.
Total: 5.0 rating + 0.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 6.9 points

11th:
Atomic by Blondie, remixed by Diddy
My right ear thinks this song is alright. My left ear didn’t get to hear any. Anyways, the mixing isn’t amazing but it’s there. Not a huge fan of Blondie but they’re not terrible. The biggest thing holding it back was really the lack of stereo, what the.
Total: 6.8 rating + 2.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.8 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

10th:
Boy With Luv by BTS at Comeback Special Stage
Oh, it’s that BTS thing I’ve heard about. Wow, that’s a lot of screaming, they’re hyped. Cool choreography. Not really my cup of tea, but it’s not bad either.
Total: 7.1 rating + 2.8 theme + .5 bonus = 10.4 points
Submitted by shubaka17

9th:
Frankie Knuckles at the Ministry of Sound
It’s a little samey, but hey, I can dig it. I can see myself chilling to this. Mixing work was pretty good and the crowd seemed pumped when they were asked for.
Total: 7.2 rating + 2.3 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.5 points
(38:52 to 49:54)

8th:
Thunderstruck (Live at Donington) by AC/DC
THUNDER! NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH! I’VE BEEN THUNDERSTRUCK! But yeah, instantly recognizable, I can see why you picked it.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.8 theme + .0 bonus = 10.6 points

7th:
DJ Shadow at Boiler Room London
Sick mixing from DJ Shadow, it’s nice to see a DJ that still knows how to do vinyl. The crowd was dead, but the mixing makes up for it. A pretty chill set overall.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.7 theme + .5 bonus = 11.1 points
(14:00 to 20:17)

6th:
Organ Donor Live at Brixton Academy by DJ Shadow
That’s some pretty sick organ synth. Takes some skill to pull this mixing off live. The pun is good as well.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.7 theme + .5 bonus = 11.5 points
Submitted by Isa

5th:
One More Time/Aerodynamic (Official Audio) by Daft Punk
Sick mixing and the crowd is pretty pumped up. In fact, I know exactly how pumped up the crowd is from watching the live version.
Total: 8.4 rating + 2.6 theme + .0 bonus = 11.0 points

4th:
One More Time/Aerodynamic (Live) by Daft Punk
I’m listening to this song one more time, but I don’t want to celebrate. Jokes aside, it’s good enough for more than a couple of listens. Oh, it’s the live version though. The crowd is pumped up. Nice.
Total: 8.4 rating + 2.8 theme + .0 bonus = 11.2 points
Submitted by LordQuas

3rd:
Headerhunterz at Qlimax 2009
Hot damn, that’s a lot of energy from the DJ and other dude on stage. Crowd got into it and it’s a great example of how to get them hyped up. Great technical effects too. Besides that the beat goes hard, nice.
Total: 8.5 rating + 3.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 13.4 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

2nd:
I Wanna Be Your Lobster by Dimitri From Stoke on Trent
Oooh yeah I dig this. This is funky as all hell. Vocals are on point and the synth is great, it forced me to get up and groove. Can tell the crowd is hyped up too, nice.
Totasl: 9.2 rating + 2.4 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.6 points
Submitted by Newcomb

1st:
Around the World / Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger by Daft Punk
”We can remix it. We have the technology. Better than the song was before. Better… harder… stronger… faster.” Anyways, the song is great. The bass wants to kick my ass in a good way and I feel the need to break out a portable speaker and have a rave in my living room. If I’d heard it earlier this would’ve been the closer for Cat 3. Also, I like how I can hear the crowd getting hyped in the recording. It’s great.
Total: 9.4 rating + 2.7 theme + .0 bonus = 12.1 points
Submitted by Lebossle

Closer:
Press Play Walk Away by S3RL

Category 7: All I Need Are Things I Like

Header:

All I Need Are Things I Like by PinnochioP

15th:
DK Rap (Trans Pride Version) by Miles Kitaro
I’m just going to assume this was under the “things you like clause” that gets 0.1 theme. I’m not sure if you liked Donkey Kong or trans rights though. Maybe both. Anyways, it’s not offensively terrible at least.
Total: 3.0 rating + .1 theme + .5 bonus = 3.6 points
Submitted by Moose.

14th:
$$$ by XXXTENTACION & Matt OX
Oh, a rap song about liking money. Yeah, there are quite a few of those. Anyways, I think the large variety of YAH YAH and OOOOOOooooOOH sounds were pretty obnoxious sounding and overall I don’t like the song. I did like the lyrical masterpiece that “Spin on my dick like a Beyblade, uh” is.
Total: 3.5 rating + 1.8 theme + .5 points = 5.8 points

13th:
I Love It by Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX
This song played once while I was driving. I crashed my car into a bridge. I don’t care, I hate it. Anyways, this song was overplayed and I never could love it during that time. I’m from the 90s, but I’d prefer someone other than the self-proclaimed ‘90s bitch’ Also, what is the ‘it’ in this song? Like, she loves it, but what is it.
Total: 4.0 rating + 2.6 theme + .5 bonus = 7.1 points
Submitted by Lebossle

12th:
Mr. Watson by Cruel Youth
The backing is alright but I really don’t like the vocalist’s voice. This fits the cat really well, it didn’t occur to me that songs about drug addiction would work beforehand, but yeah, they do.
Total: 6.5 rating + 2.7 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.2 points
Submitted by Newcomb

11th:
The Bus Song by Jay Som
I don’t like the bus. Songs about the bus are fine though. Vocals are interesting, even if they’re not really my kind of thing, and the guitar is pretty cool.
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.4 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.7 points
Submitted by Zack

10th:
My Favorite Things by John Coltrane
I can hear the lyrics in my head. Pretty low theme for the instrumental version, but the pure ubiquity of the song and the title save it. Anyways, as for the song itself it’s long, it’s funky, and I like the sax. Not amazing, but it’s nice to listen to in the background while I’m reading.
Total: 7.4 rating + .9 theme + .5 bonus = 8.8 points
Submitted by Isa

9th:
One On One by Hall and Oates
``Oh man, it’s my boys Hall and Oates. Smooth backing and solid vocals, it’s not amazing but it’s a solid track from a couple of really consistent artists.`
Total: 7.6 rating + 2.0 theme + .0 bonus = 9.6 points

8th:
Palette by IU ft. G-DRAGON
Oh, this is nice. Like the vocals on both the rap and pop segments, altough the instrumental isn’t really anything special. Overall a really solid song and the lyrics have that M E A N I N G. I didn’t even have to learn Korean to read them.
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.6 points
Submitted by Shubaka17

7th:
Little Fluffy Clouds by The Orb
Those are some little, fluffy clouds right there. Gotta get Bob Ross thrown onto this beat. But yeah, this is some pretty calm electronic.
Total: 8.0 rating + 1.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.8 points

6th:
I Like Drugs by Steel Panther
Hey, this is rocking. And funny, got a good laugh out of this. Anyways. I liked the backing and the lyrics, it was entertaining.
Total: 8.3 rating + 4.0 theme + .5 bonus = 12.8 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

5th:
Peaches by The Presidents of the Unites States of America
I’m not a fan of peaches, but maybe I’ll try one again because of this. Anyways, it cracked me up, is really thematically fitting, and the backing is better than I expected. Nice one.
Total: 8.4 rating + 2.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.3 points

4th:
Kick Push remixed by TokiMonsta
This reminds me of Nujabes a little bit. I love Nujabes. Anyways, the flow is nice, I like the story in the lyrics, and the backing is chill and reminds me of one of my favorite artists. A really solid track overall.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.4 points
Submitted by LordQuas

3rd:
(No One Knows Me) Like The Piano by Sampha
Shit, this hits me right in the feels. I like the piano and this man’s voice has a lot of emotion in it, damn. Are you sure this wasn’t meant for the depression cat?
Total: 8.6 rating + 2.4 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.0 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

2nd:
Jóga by Björk
I actually really like this song, but the version I’ve heard is Arnór Dan Arnarson’s cover with the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra. Anyways, time to cover this one. Something is off with the vocals that bothers me (I still like them, I just feel like in part of this they were mixed oddly), but I enjoy the backing and the slight mix of electronic with the strings and all that. Anyways, theme is a bit of a stretch but I can see it with the lyric interpretations.
Total: 8.7 rating + 1.8 theme + .0 bonus = 10.5 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

1st:
A Song About Naps by Grynpyret
’That’s right – I’m sending in a lyric-less song, claiming it’s about liking naps’ - qwertyuiopazs. Well, the title supports you, so whatever. I did have the 0.1 theme option for this cat anyways. This is really chill, I like this. Reminds me of Snail’s House and I like future bass, so I’ll need to check out this artist in the future.
Total: 9.1 rating + .2 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.3 points

Closer
Cars by Gary Numan

Category 8: On The Road Again

Header

On The Road Again (Instrumental) by Studio Musicians

15th:
Fight Me, Dum Dum by SilvaGunner
I’m acquaintanced with a few people who have subbed stuff to SilvaGunner, so now I’m oddly curious if one of them is behind this. Anyways, onto the actual song. Soundfonts are neat. Flamingo is a good song. This is alright. Only notable thing is that it’s super catchy. Ahhhh, it’s stuck in my head.
Total: 6.9 rating + 3.0 theme + .5 bonus = 10.4 points
Submitted by Moose.

14th:
I Heard You Looking by Yo La Tengo
Oh, this is neat. Relaxing.
Total: 7.5 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.5 points
Submitted by Isa

13th:
Your Hand In Mine by Explosions In The Sky
It’s chilll man. A little sad, but mostly chill.
Total: 7.8 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.8 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

12th:
Journey in Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane ft. Pharoah Sanders
This is some great sax. I like whatever instrument it is that sounds like wind chimes in the background as well. Some interesting stuff comes in around 3:30 as well, this is really creative.
Total: 7.9 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 11.9 points

11th:
Drifting by Andy McKee
Oh, I like this. Really dig the guitar and it’s pretty chill. I think if I showed it to my roommate he’d just feel bad about how good he is at the guitar though.
Total: 8.0 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.0 points
Submitted by Lebossle

10th:
Rush by Yoko Kanno
Man, Cowboy Bebop’s OST is some of the jazziest music this side of the asteroid belt. Nice.
Total: 8.1 rating + 3.0 theme + .0 bonus = 11.1 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

9th:
Erotomania by Dream Theater
This is pretty sick, I like how the drums steal center stage once or twice. Also, this guitar is trying to shred my face off. I don’t oppose it.
Total: 8.2 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.2 points
Submitted Brainpan

8th:
Vltava by Cult of Fire
Oh, the guitar on this goes hard. I like this.
Total: 8.3 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.3 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

7th:
Aumetra The Witch by cYsmix
This has some nice bass, whooo. Reminds me of Necrodancer’s OST.
Total: 8.3 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.3 points
Submitted by Lord Quas

6th:
Head & Body by Elephant Gym
The backing on this is really creative, I like it. Big fan of the drums.
Total: 8.5 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.5 points
Submitted by shubaka17

5th:
Erebus by Marc A. Pullen
I really like the guitar on this, it goes pretty hard. Sick solo starts around 2:45.
Total: 8.6 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.6 points
Submitted by Owner Of A Lonely Heart

4th:
Cursive by Scattle
You are in your car. The car is going down the highway. It continues going down the highway. That’s when you realize it- you’re in a video for a synthwave song. You ARE the synthwave. Wait, I kinda got lost there. Anyways, synthwave good, this song good. I hope I’m using the right genre here when describing it.
Total: 8.7 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.7 points

3rd:
Sanctuary by Koraii
This is chill and I really like the samples being used. Big fan of the synth as well.
Total: 8.7 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.7 points

2nd:
Vanitas by Xi
Hello. We’re Xi and our job is to give you carpal tunnel during rhythm games. Anyways, I like this song. Gets me pumped up. On that note I like most Xi songs, but oh well. Also, I admit that this isn’t an 8.8 if it was subbed to other cats, but I needed to break a lot of ties. This would normally be 8.5 or 8.6 for reference, so we’re inflated a bit. That’s ok, that applies to other stuff too.
Total: 8.8 rating + 3.0 theme + .0 bonus = 11.8 points

1st:
Big Country by Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
This song has a lot of variety. And banjos! Various banjos.
Total: 8.9 rating + 3.0 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.9 points
Submitted by Newcomb

Closer:
Song Without Words by S3RL

Category 9: Mr. Roboto

Header

Mr. Roboto by Styx

15th:
My Body Is A Cage by Arcade Fire
I like this, but I’m confused about how this fits the cat. Catfail.
Total: 0.0 points
Submitted by Myzozoa

14th:
Gold Star For Robot Boy by Guided By Voices
I feel like I could like this a lot more if the guitar didn’t sound like it was being played from the next room over. Is it supposed to be like that or is it just this upload, I’m actually kinda confused. Also sounds a bit disjointed, but I feel like it could work.
Total: 5.9 rating + 2.3 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.2 points

13th:
Year 3000 by The Jonas Brothers
Y’know, I always thought The Jonas Brothers were older than this (ie that they were in their mid-20s to 30s) because I only saw their music and stuff when I was a kid and was just like ‘they’re old’. Anyways, song is fine besides the vocals, I really don’t like the singing.
Total: 6.0 rating + 2.5 theme + .0 bonus = 8.5 points
Submitted by shubaka17

12th:
You Reposted In The Wrong Norm by Take
I like mashups and ‘you reposted in the wrong’ stuff but something seems really off about this mix. Anyways, I’ve seen the future and it is squirrel power.
Total: 6.2 rating + 2.5 theme + .0 bonus = 8.9 points
Submitted by Moose.

11th:
Robots, Pop Songs by e-dubble
I don’t really like how this flows but I can respect it.
Total: 6.9 rating + 2.2 theme + 1.0 bonus = 10.1 points
Submitted by LordQuas

10th:
Home Computer by Kraftwerk
This synth is oh so 80s. Beep boop.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.2 theme + .5 bonus = 10.0 points
Submitted by Lebossle

9th:
None Of Them Knew They Were Robots by Mr. Bungle
This has a lot going on, wow.
Total: 7.4 rating + 3.8 theme + 1.0 bonus = 12.2 points
Submitted by Isa

8th:
Computer Liebe by Kraftwerk
The synth is still very 80s. I feel like there’s some implication about dating sites in the lyrics but I can’t tell because that’s too much effort.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.1 theme + .5 bonus = 10.1 points

7th:
The Runner by Cryogenics
Yes, I was wondering if you could play that song again. Yes, the one that goes beep boop boop boop beep. Ah, there it is. Lots of nice electronic noises.
Total: 7.7 rating + 0.9 theme + 1.0 bonus = 9.6 points

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)