The World Cup of Pokémon X - Round 1 (Read Post #800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'll try my best WQ.

From turn one, we have a pretty even matchup of Snorlax vs Swampert, from which both players switch out, PROBLEMS get the best end of it with his Suicune facing a Tyranitar. Which leads to a Zapdos switching into Suicune, forcing the Lax back in. At this point it gets interesting you see, lead Snorlax is known for pretty much never running rest and using a wide array of tricks from Counter to Focus Punch to Boom, I think this is what lead BKC to stay in with his electric bird, taking big Body Slam damage instead of risking a Tyranitar switching into a Focus Punch, for example. At this point, Suicune becomes a threat if it's offensive, as Zapdos is in +1 Ice Beam range.

Still not wanting to risk a random Focus Punch, Kevin decides to go for the middle ground, switching Jirachi into Snorlax, a normally fine switch against utility lead Snorlax. He gets caught off guard with a random Curse Lead Snorlax, but forces it out with his CB Tyranitar. From the Tyranitar damage on Suicune, we learn it's defensive Cune, so Kev got away with his early mistake of taking too much damage with Zapdos and on the plus side, he managed to weaken the Snorlax to about 50% and the Suicune to around 60%, while his whole team except Zapdos is at full health, Kev looks to be in a very advantageous position here.

Problems then sends his own TTar, expecting Zapdos to Rest, Kev makes a good play going for the Thunderbolt here and weakening TTar. Zapdos is still forced out, however, and at this point Problems reads Kevin like a book and HP Grasses the Swampert switchin, proving that the following quote was a lie.

I thoroughly outplayed problems
Despite the Swampert being near dead, Kev decides to save it for later and reveals a Salamence to take another HP Grass. We see no Leftovers so we assume the CB, as Mence goes for Brick Break on an Aerodactyl switchin, but from the damage we can conclude it is not CB, but I don't know if Problems has enough ADV experience to know that, as he makes the silliest of plays of letting his biggest threat die by trying to catch a Jirachi with an Earthquake, Mence kills Dactyl and Kev, once again, is at advantage.

The Suicune comes in and stares at Salamence, and since Zapdos cant switch directly into an Ice Beam, and everything else loses to Cune, a sacrifice is forced. Kevin decides on letting the Salamence die, instead of say, sacrificing the weakened Swampert. A choice that would bite him in the ass in the future.

Zapdos comes in an paralyses the Snorlax with a Thunderbolt, which is funny cause Snorlax used around 73 Body Slams and didn't get a single para. Problems decides his Snorlax has done enough and Explodes on the Tyranitar switchin, only to finish it off with a newly revealed Dugtrio which then faces off Kev's final pokémon, his Aerodactyl.

At this point we have seen 5 members from Problems team: Snorlax, Suicune, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, Dugtrio. Kevin then correctly assumes the last mon on Problem's team is a rock resist, cause there's nothing more idiotic in ADV than using a team with Dugtrio as the only rock resist. Considering he has a Curse Boom Lax to lure Skarm, HP Grass Tyranitar to lure Swampert, the most obvious thing to assume is a last mon Metagross, which I'm positive is what Kevin expected. He, however, failed to notice that Problems team MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE. I mean, can someone explain the random Defensive Suicune on a team that aims to overwhelm the opponent with physical attackers? What the actual fuck. Anyway, following the trend of a team that makes no fucking sense, Problems reveals his last mon, a random Heracross, and at this point Kevin should be pretty pissed, but still looking OK with his partnership of Dactyl and Jirachi to finish up the game because, logic follows, it is a SD Focus Punch or a CB Heracross, because why would you use a Salac Berry on a team with sandstorm?

Well, I don't know, but it sure worked for problems. Not only that, but he was running a Jolly nature, a respectable but sure weird choice on a Salac Hera, but following the trend of nothing making any sense, I guess it's the least fucked up thing about the team.

At this point, Heracross is looking to get a couple kills, but it will be finished up by sandstorm due to the Protect Jirachi, and you know, that's why you don't fucking use Salac Hera on a team with Sandstorm.

Anyway, Hera dies as it finishes off Jirachi, and it's Dugtrio and a 31.7% Suicune from Problems vs Dactyl from Kevin. A matchup that Dactyl has a chance of winning by getting a high roll on Suicune and OHKO'ing Dugtrio.

Choice Band Jolly Aerodactyl Double-Edge vs. Suicune: 111-131 (27.4 - 32.4%)

However what we see is Problems Dugtrio outspeeding and flinching Kevin's Aerodactyl, which means Kevin must be using Adamant nature on his prehistoric bird. Which is funny cause, if not for the flinch, Dactyl had a good chance at winning, as the calc looks a lot better

Choice Band Adamant Aerodactyl Double-Edge vs. Suicune: 121-143 (29.9 - 35.3%)

So in the end, the question we gotta ask is: Does problems team really make no fucking sense or is he innovating the metagame? Only time will tell

I still say give BKC a break, it's like chess computers, they know how to counter high - level plays but utterly fail to comprehend random builds like Problems'. The entire Heracross thing WAS one of the most random things I've seen in the history of mons, especially in the light that he brought no rock resist against a guy like BKC (Dugtrio counts for nothing in this despite its performance in this game). And Swampert taking the HP Grass......name me one other thing BKC could have switched in on a TTar with an as-yet unrevealed set. The only weird play (to me), was not going for a double protect (on turns 26-27) with Jirachi, which would have kept it alive to take on Suicune+Dugtrio (which would have been a big one-up, not gonna go into the endless possibilities of that face - off though I would also give BKC the edge there).

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
I still say give BKC a break, it's like chess computers, they know how to counter high - level plays but utterly fail to comprehend random builds like Problems'. The entire Heracross thing WAS one of the most random things I've seen in the history of mons, especially in the light that he brought no rock resist against a guy like BKC (Dugtrio counts for nothing in this despite its performance in this game). And Swampert taking the HP Grass......name me one other thing BKC could have switched in on a TTar with an as-yet unrevealed set. The only weird play (to me), was not going for a double protect with Jirachi, which would have kept it alive to take on Suicune+Dugtrio (which would have been a big one-up).

Just my 2 cents worth
double protect meant cune got an opportunity to rest, he wanted megahorn to hit as hera died to sand

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll try my best WQ.

From turn one, we have a pretty even matchup of Snorlax vs Swampert, from which both players switch out, PROBLEMS get the best end of it with his Suicune facing a Tyranitar. Which leads to a Zapdos switching into Suicune, forcing the Lax back in. At this point it gets interesting you see, lead Snorlax is known for pretty much never running rest and using a wide array of tricks from Counter to Focus Punch to Boom, I think this is what lead BKC to stay in with his electric bird, taking big Body Slam damage instead of risking a Tyranitar switching into a Focus Punch, for example. At this point, Suicune becomes a threat if it's offensive, as Zapdos is in +1 Ice Beam range.

Still not wanting to risk a random Focus Punch, Kevin decides to go for the middle ground, switching Jirachi into Snorlax, a normally fine switch against utility lead Snorlax. He gets caught off guard with a random Curse Lead Snorlax, but forces it out with his CB Tyranitar. From the Tyranitar damage on Suicune, we learn it's defensive Cune, so Kev got away with his early mistake of taking too much damage with Zapdos and on the plus side, he managed to weaken the Snorlax to about 50% and the Suicune to around 60%, while his whole team except Zapdos is at full health, Kev looks to be in a very advantageous position here.

Problems then sends his own TTar, expecting Zapdos to Rest, Kev makes a good play going for the Thunderbolt here and weakening TTar. Zapdos is still forced out, however, and at this point Problems reads Kevin like a book and HP Grasses the Swampert switchin, proving that the following quote was a lie.

Despite the Swampert being near dead, Kev decides to save it for later and reveals a Salamence to take another HP Grass. We see no Leftovers so we assume the CB, as Mence goes for Brick Break on an Aerodactyl switchin, but from the damage we can conclude it is not CB, but I don't know if Problems has enough ADV experience to know that, as he makes the silliest of plays of letting his biggest threat die by trying to catch a Jirachi with an Earthquake, Mence kills Dactyl and Kev, once again, is at advantage.

The Suicune comes in and stares at Salamence, and since Zapdos cant switch directly into an Ice Beam, and everything else loses to Cune, a sacrifice is forced. Kevin decides on letting the Salamence die, instead of say, sacrificing the weakened Swampert. A choice that would bite him in the ass in the future.

Zapdos comes in an paralyses the Snorlax with a Thunderbolt, which is funny cause Snorlax used around 73 Body Slams and didn't get a single para. Problems decides his Snorlax has done enough and Explodes on the Tyranitar switchin, only to finish it off with a newly revealed Dugtrio which then faces off Kev's final pokémon, his Aerodactyl.

At this point we have seen 5 members from Problems team: Snorlax, Suicune, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, Dugtrio. Kevin then correctly assumes the last mon on Problem's team is a rock resist, cause there's nothing more idiotic in ADV than using a team with Dugtrio as the only rock resist. Considering he has a Curse Boom Lax to lure Skarm, HP Grass Tyranitar to lure Swampert, the most obvious thing to assume is a last mon Metagross, which I'm positive is what Kevin expected. He, however, failed to notice that Problems team MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE. I mean, can someone explain the random Defensive Suicune on a team that aims to overwhelm the opponent with physical attackers? What the actual fuck. Anyway, following the trend of a team that makes no fucking sense, Problems reveals his last mon, a random Heracross, and at this point Kevin should be pretty pissed, but still looking OK with his partnership of Dactyl and Jirachi to finish up the game because, logic follows, it is a SD Focus Punch or a CB Heracross, because why would you use a Salac Berry on a team with sandstorm?

Well, I don't know, but it sure worked for problems. Not only that, but he was running a Jolly nature, a respectable but sure weird choice on a Salac Hera, but following the trend of nothing making any sense, I guess it's the least fucked up thing about the team.

At this point, Heracross is looking to get a couple kills, but it will be finished up by sandstorm due to the Protect Jirachi, and you know, that's why you don't fucking use Salac Hera on a team with Sandstorm.

Anyway, Hera dies as it finishes off Jirachi, and it's Dugtrio and a 31.7% Suicune from Problems vs Dactyl from Kevin. A matchup that Dactyl has a chance of winning by getting a high roll on Suicune and OHKO'ing Dugtrio.

Choice Band Jolly Aerodactyl Double-Edge vs. Suicune: 111-131 (27.4 - 32.4%)

However what we see is Problems Dugtrio outspeeding and flinching Kevin's Aerodactyl, which means Kevin must be using Adamant nature on his prehistoric bird. Which is funny cause, if not for the flinch, Dactyl had a good chance at winning, as the calc looks a lot better

Choice Band Adamant Aerodactyl Double-Edge vs. Suicune: 121-143 (29.9 - 35.3%)

So in the end, the question we gotta ask is: Does problems team really make no fucking sense or is he innovating the metagame? Only time will tell
This was great up until the very end since BKC's Aerodactyl was not Choice Band.

woops my bad, confusing the Salamence which wasn't band for the Aero which was

Last edited:

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I've been actively seeking out all 3 of my opponents. I have concrete plans to fight Tiba on Saturday. Marcoasd did not want to play today, as it was midnight his time and he was worried about the possibility of falling asleep mid-battle. Timezones are making scheduling very difficult for us, as we're 7 hours apart, however I'm trying my best to accommodate his sensitive sleep schedule between my busy work week.

I've been actively seeking out all 3 of my opponents. I have concrete plans to fight Tiba on Saturday. Marcoasd did not want to play today, as it was midnight his time and he was worried about the possibility of falling asleep mid-battle. Timezones are making scheduling very difficult for us, as we're 7 hours apart, however I'm trying my best to accommodate his sensitive sleep schedule between my busy work week.
You just popped up today, and I don't feel full of energies at all right now, hence I'm not going to hurt my team's chances. Timezones sucks, yeah... we'll try again tomorrow. GN

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
yeah i choked it away once again, sorry team. gg lyconik

also what's the ruling on my battle vs high impulse? replay with same or different teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)