The World Cup of Pokémon 2018 - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
some manners from bomber would have been to say "let's recreate from this turn" at the outset, rather than surprising BKC with complications 350 turns into a game and then offering a solution to a problem of his own creation that happens to also give him a massive advantage

i don't really buy the "didn't know options"-- i've been out of the game for 2 years until a month ago and i know better than to offer something so unsporting.... and that's fine, but don't complain about sportsmanship after doing it

Last edited:

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
"i gotta go" is something your GSC starter should never say. i don't know how long the game went on, but surely someone should expect the possibility of a GSC game running late and not making unbreakable plans any length of time after it
fuck that. i agree with you that games have a reputation to sometimes take a while (especially in GSC and a small set of these modern gen games) if fully played out. that's really unhealthy when you hold it to all lengths and there really should be a practical time limit to expect to play for games. mons should never be that central that you drop other things you have for it if it takes so long and you have other plans. if you already have shit to do the next day, you should not be getting in a pissing contest with your opponent to play the entire thing out for several hours, especially with timezone differences in the play. smog's obsessed with making things last a week long but there are weeks that come that make scheduling for these games horrific. scheduling w/someone that's 5-7 hours ahead of you is a bitch if you've got something regular during the weekdays like school/work and you're doing things on a weekend. a rather extreme example but not too unlikely to throw out, if ojama didn't have a choice but to schedule w/someone inbetween his finals and had to go because the game was going to overlap with the time to take a final and he got an L, that sounds fucked up.

players are going to schedule with whatever time they can try to fit in and they should not be expected to drop their real life plans for this game if the game takes too long. it would be nice if there is a spelled out policy for if/what that reasonable time allotment should be.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
"i gotta go" is something your GSC starter should never say. i don't know how long the game went on, but surely someone should expect the possibility of a GSC game running late and not making unbreakable plans any length of time after it
https://puu.sh/ARbdL.png ironic bomber said that considering he rescheduled for similar reasons, not sure why marco is so salty about his teammate's limited availability though!

Last edited:

pasy_g

Banned deucer.
Not only would BKC probably have won the game, but also bomber just asked if they can redo the game with different teams, bkc said absolutly not. So if you are talking about the other options blame your player for not knowing them and/or not asking for anything in that direction. Its not like your player is new to the tourscene and your opponent (the guy who doesnt want you to win, shocker) has to explain how to play in a tournament during a game, especially when it was also Bomber who brought the do nothing team (weak argument, but still a fact). I absolutly understand your frustration, this is not the outcome you hope to have for your game, but here is no one to blame but your own player.

If I am in the same situation (Bomber's), I'm lowering even more and faking both my real time death and a DC. I guarantee you. That's the bottom line, and anyway I wouldn't have even felt like starting this if the man just threw a trivial "sorry about it" into the mix - it was just a flagrant "get off me scrub" attitude, which is the standard here I guess.
But you cannot learn class, I guess.
Let the tournament go on.

I'm honestly surprised we don't have an actual time limit for games. When I used to play I was unsure about how much time I should allot to my game/s, and even if I had say, a full hour to complete a single series it was an issue sometimes. I get it, playing a high octane game that lasts 2-3 hours, while mentally draining, can also prove to be a great experience, and spectators enjoy that as well, I have had such games, but I do not wish it to happen to anyone.

For starters, you can't really predict what's gonna happen in the next 2-3 hours, even if you are supposed to be free, you could have someone paying a visit without prior notice, or a plethora of other things that are out of our control really. Get a call from a relative asking to help them out? Your boss calls you? Tough luck. And then there's the fact that even if I had 3 hours, the last thing I'd want to spend them on is on a single Pokémon game, and I hope most people feel the same way as me.

There's a reason most games are played on the weekend. It's not just preparing your game, it's also making sure you have the time to play a potentially long one as well.

If I remember correctly the subject has been already touched multiple times already, so I'm not really expecting anything to change, but having a time limit on games could also make scheduling way easier. Granted, there are a million other caveats that would skew the value of the game played, like the possibility of time stalling because the rules would give you a win in case the time limit was reached, or any other exploit I can't think of at the moment, but there's ways around that, like lowering the timer in tournament play...why do we have 6 minutes for anything that isn't the choice at team preview is beyond me. Surely you peeps can make informed decisions in 60 seconds in this game, probably even less than that.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Whoever spends more than 2 hours for a single game of pokémon without wondering something to himself is a loser, regardless of the result

Love this game
'haha pokemon is for losers and I have over 1000 posts on an online pokemon discussion forum'

If people aren't allowed to take their hobby seriously and invest time and effort into it because they enjoy it, what the fuck is the point?

The point is hormones. You teens have too much and too many of them running through your veins to even read things and understand the actual meaning.
By the age 22 or so (which is damn low, apllaude your lifestyle) things will change dramatically - don't worry.

Just like, comparing 2 hours for a game and 1000 posts. Grats.
Callous was so right on the spot, can't stress it enough... "it's a popularity contest among losers, you're the king of the nerds - the king of the losers".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)