Finals The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Finals [Won by Team US West]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Won vs tamahome, ggs bro. I've respected you as a player for my entire time on smogon and always wanted to team with you but it never happened. Hope we can in the future. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-452177

I'd like to make some quick shoutouts in order to highlight why our team was successful this year:

First of all, thank you to Heroic Troller for joining our chat and helping with our RBY prep. I had no idea that you were a funny as fuck dude and when you smashed us all in quiplash at like 4 am your time it was funny as hell.
Thank you Amaranth for also helping us with our RBY prep, lord knows rozes needed it
Sjneider couldn't bring you to the trophy this time but next year? ;-)

Massive thanks to craing ;_; for being the main reason I was able to get such a crazy 9-1 record lmao your prep is INSANE even if you are a massive tsundere who wanted us to lose every week. I seriously could not have won this many games without you bro. You will always be the goat SM OU to me.
I'd be completely lying if I said playing all these darned tiebreakers weren't extremely taxing and stressful, and they really were insane to deal with. This tour has provided me with enough high pressure situations on a fucking POKESIM for a lifetime, and I think that's the main reason why I decided to manage Snake Draft with the goat Ojama instead of playing again. I hope I'm ready to compete again for gen 8 if I decide to sign up to play :P

And finally, I'd like to have some closing thoughts on this tour. US West is such a powerful team in this tournament because of how close we all are to each other. We've met up multiple times and had fun dicking around and doing bullshit things together. I can safely say that if my interest in mons ever dies down and I decide to quit this community, I will happily return each World Cup to play with the fucking boys. You guys are the best

Like I've been spamming this entire tour, OUR YEAR.

primeiramente parabéns ao brasil por uma excelente performance e por chegarem tão perto. 2020 vocês gaham sem dúvida!!

but also massive congratulations to us west with an equally strong and dominant performance. guess west really is best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's very sad to come up so short after being down 2-8 in round 1 and 2 tiebreaks in playoffs, but the whole experience was great, I had a lot of fun and everybody was pleasant, thanks for the call-up. Special shotouts to Sand Castle for one million test games and motivational speeches, to Eternal Spirit for dropping one million teams and half of them with mega latias, to Nintendi i really hope nobody has any doubts that Gen 6 OU is your own personal kingdom after this tournament, by FAR the best player of this format (24-7 in spl/wcop). And to Hyogafodex my bff your finals loss does not reflect how good you are and i love you very much.

If I had to pick one team to win that isn't brazil it would probably be west so i'm happy for my many friends there, the hardest working and best performing team of the tournament won.

Last edited:
not really sure how i want to start this post, so i guess I'll just type as I go. this tournament has been a roller coaster of extreme highs and lows for me personally and without a doubt one of the hardest, most stressful and time-consuming of endeavors i put forth in any tournament on this site. easily eclipsing my back to back ost finals as well as stour runs combined. initially i didn't even want to play in wcop after i won ost and wanted to take a break from mons indefinitely, but knowing that we had exceptional talent with z0mog winning stour, me winning ost, and our star duo in lax and lavos dominating spl, i honestly felt that we had the best chances out of any team this year.

while this was certainly an experience that did pay out in our favor, i definitely will say that i will not be putting myself through that shit ever again. barely scraping by every round and having to tiebreak in every one of them except the last (thank jesus) is taxing in and of itself, not to mention having to carry almost our entire sm and having to supply optimal and unique teams(90% of our sm teams were made from scratch) and studying and researching various match ups had its toll on me as a player and that showed as the tour progressed (not to mention how garbage our oras is). having all of these tight rounds and tiebreaks definitely made me question how far we could go as a team and almost made me want to quit due to the stress but we persevered and am confident in saying that we fucking earned this. if there's anything i can look back on fondly in regards to my own performance is that i was able to save us during qualifiers from a 12-14 deficit and the tiebreak that later ensued, so i'm really glad everyone else was able to not only carry their weight later on, but also my sorry ass to the finish line.

even though i have a lot of good and (some bad) things i can say about everyone on our team, i don't really feel the need to do shoutouts since we all met up and i know you're all amazing people, but everyone who cheered us on and anybody who helped our players along the way are people i'm just as thankful towards. i'm not sure when i might come back to competitive mons, and if i actually will, nevertheless us west will always have a special place in my heart since i can always count on you guys whenever i need your help and vice versa. apologies to everyone else i ignored who messaged me during this time frame as i was stressed out beyond belief and did not want to deal with anything else but i am in a better place now. oh yeah also some of my opponents who had to deal with my sporadic scheduling, my team didn't trust me to play so they scheduled for me :/ but i'll stop typing more before i say anything else stupid lol.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
congratz west on bringing it home again, I was impressed by the professional prep and team building this year, and the clutching of tie break after tie break was a joy.

i was super impressed by zomog finding the way in that final game against luigi, and lax was outstanding every round. the rest of you already know i think youre amazing, the mental strength yall show to come back to this tour each year knowing how hard you always get haxed, is way beyond me. so happy for all of you to have won it again and with such commanding and intelligent performances in the tiebreaks and finals.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Congratulations West! Been rooting for you since the trophy escaped your grasp in the finals last year. The sheer number of tiebreaks made this year a nailbiting experience. I want to especially commend blargh, z0m, Phil and of course lax for their clutch performances throughout the tournament.

yo wtf we won no more haxing

shoutouts to troller, sjneider (wish we could've had him on the team TDS), TIN, and psychicmewtwo for joining in to help us out all throughout the tour. personal thanks from me to the people always willing to help me build/prep -- empo, xtra, kanto, HSA, FMG, eo, finch, aurella, honchkrow, jacob, 1 true lycan.

normally people would tag their teammates and say some nice words but we can save that for when we're jerking each other off IRL in los angeles sometime. on top of just being the best team, we can also say we are the closest to a family and thats a thought that makes me happy.

also there is about a 0% chance we are gonna be able to take another one of these in the future ROFL. with lavos banned, phil quitting, and nobody else going to be caring, i am so glad everything was able to line up just right in the universe this one time :afrostar:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Congrats to West on an incredible run!

shoutouts to troller, sjneider (wish we could've had him on the team TDS)
Shoutouts Sjneider for getting robbed of a trophy :psyduck:

Sjneider can play for West as soon as his proof of residence is stronger than "changed his profile to say he was from California two weeks before the tour" and "logged into Smogon once during a weekend's vacation." :blobthumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)