The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Now that the team has been released, what better way to celebrate than to educate you all on British culture? That way you can get involved with Team UK in spirit. We are a proud nation rich in culture, which even leaks into Smogon given how many foreigners are in HJAD and p2's DMs offering to change their IPs for tryouts. Give it up lads - you wouldn't make our bench, and even Teddeh got onto that. Maybe this is why we've got half the country screaming for more strict boarder control...

But what do we do over in Britain? Your trusty UK hype man Diophantine is here to enlighten you so that you too can put on your (probably fake) Ralph Lauren hats, Northface jackets and black Air Force 1's and head down to the pub to down some Carlings with the lads before going on a shit night out to cut shapes and possibly get into a scrap with the locals for chatting to the wrong bird.

Now, you may all think that we are like this:

Well, maybe CZ. is. But honestly, this is a far greater representation of what we as Brits are like (from left to right, Toxzn, Triangles and HML am):

These lads, Bad Boy Chiller Crew (BBCC), are more than just your average British citizens, however. They have created music for the whole nation to skank to in £5 entry clubs while we sip our VK blues.

But that's enough from the BBCC. There are many more fields of British culture that I would like to walk you through. What do we eat over here? Well thankfully, we have our number one food critique on the case for this lesson.

What sports do we partake in? Thanks to my earlier posts, I've enlightened you on the massive footballing culture that we have over here. That is not all, however. I know you Americans pride yourself on being a country with a great wrestling industry, but did you know that we have one too? The most famous venue for such events is Leicester Town McDonalds. Get yourself a milkshake and some chicken selects and watch out for an amazing spectacle.

What about dialect? Well there are many different dialects scattered around the UK, so it can be hard to keep track of. Luckily, we have Korean Billy to take this one for us!

Last, but by no means least, we have British politics to turn our attention to. The House of Commons hosts debates that even the Oxford Union couldn't hope to put on.

I hope you found this post insightful. Hopefully, I have both enlightened you on the Great British experience and inspired the lads to take even more pride as they chant "LADS LADS LADS" with their Granbull in their sig.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the FINAL EDITION OF THE UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS
It has been a long journey, but we have finally reached the end my friends. Let's begin.

Spain:

Spain seems to consistently field a solid roster year in and year out, but have never managed to defeat US East when the money was on the line. Last year, they took a massive step back and somehow missed the playoffs entirely. They will try to rebound this year with a roster that features a horde of familiar faces. There is a lot of star power here, but I suppose the biggest names are SoulWind, Poek, and M Dragon. SoulWind has consistently dominated the BW scene, and I consider him to be the best BW player in the field. He should have no troubles dispatching his opposition. Poek rebounded a bit after a poor opening to SPL, and I consider him to be an upper echelon ORAS OU player. I think he'll do pretty well. M Dragon has taken a back seat in terms of playing in team tours lately. The ADV pool is a relatively strong one, but I've always been pretty high on M Dragon. His knowledge of the tier is probably unparalleled and I like his odds of doing pretty solid here.

The SM OU core is an interesting one. Garay Oak was lauded for his performance in SPL by his manager, z0mog, but how talented is the mainer in SM OU? He may have potential, but I can't reasonably expect him to do that well in a tier I haven't really seen him play at a high level before. Axel10 returns after a brief hiatus and he may or may not be crust right now. At his peak, he was a fearsome competitor that could tangle with the best of them. His last few performances in the sheet aren't very reassuring, so it wouldn't shock me if he struggled a bit. However, I think he could do decently. Trosko, meanwhile, had an amazing SPL, dismantling the competition at every turn. Even though he's in SM for this tour, I like what I saw from him and expect him to have a good tournament. The last spot in the rotation belongs to ramboss, a jaja that has been hyped before if I recall correctly. However, I have no real reason to think he's competent, so I'm gonna say he's trash for now.

The old gens feature a cast of very familiar characters. Malekith is solid enough to do well in the thinking gen; I'm surprised he's in this tier instead of another one, but I digress. Rodriblutar surprisingly finds himself in GSC OU. I think he's a capable battler, but I'm not really sure what to expect from him here. He does have M Dragon's support, though, which probably means we'll see him loading up full stall featuring classic Spanish picks like "do nothing" Dragonite, Meganium, and Blissey. I have a decent amount of confidence in Rodri as a battler, and with M Dragon helping him from the shadows, I think he could turn in a solid performance in what is probably the worst player pool in the entire tournament. Lastly, the RBY slot features K-12, a player known more for his gimmicks than anything else; I remember him busting out a Pelipper or some bullshit in SPL 3. I don't really have that much faith in him as a player, but it is RBY, so I suppose he could do decently.

Overall, this looks to once again be a playoff team. While the team is not as strong as some of their past editions, Spain still boasts a wealth of big names and metagame knowledge. They could definitely make some waves in this tournament.

UK:

USUM OU: 1 True Lycan
USUM OU: The Hallows
USUM OU: p2
USUM OU: Hamhamhamham
ORAS OU: baddummy
B2W2 OU: Toxzn
HGSS OU: SOMALIA
RSE OU: Triangles
GSC OU: Diophantine
RBY OU: HML am

I didn't really have any expectations for this lineup going in, and it's safe to say this lineup doesn't really surprise me. There's not really any key players to talk about, so let's just get into it.

The SM core seems to be kind of a meme. 1 True Lycan has been hyped by various parties over the past year. The Baron is probably like slightly above average I suppose. The Hallows was benched in favor of Talah on the SPL 10 Raiders, and Talah is absolutely terrible, so I don't really have faith here. p2 is a literal choking hazard and it wouldn't shock me if he did badly. Hamx90 or w/e is a meme so who cares he's trash.

baddummy really struggled in SPL and lowered his stock a bit. He had some impressive performances in World Cup before, but I can't really say with confidence that he'll be able to replicate those. I think he's probably average at best. In BW, they literally have IDM TOXZN LOOOL WHAT it's 2019 bros LMAO this man wasn't even that good in like 2013 let alone now #crustrule. SOMALIA LOL HELLO By definition, this man has to be crust right? I mean, he might be decent and it is the thinking gen, so I suppose he could do fine. I would be stunned if he played more than 1 game though LOL hello somalia in team tours is never a good idea. I think everyone knows my stance on Triangles so. I don't think he's good, but he's better than some of the newer more dogshit names like eden's embrace. I'm predicting like 1-2 from him. GSC and RBY both have irrelevant trash players by virtue of the sheet, so we don't need to talk about them.

Overall, this team basically met my expectations of being absolutely horrendous. Shocker.

Alright bros...IT'S TIME FOR THE FINAL TEAM

Europe:

Europe was a team that broke onto the scene in 2017, making a surprising run to the finals before being decimated by US East. They have all the standard names you'd expect from them. Will they find success, though? I wonder.

The SM OU lineup seems kind of meh. TheThorn had a successful SPL 8 but not much since. At his peak, he's probably a slightly above average player. I think he'll do decently. ZoroClick is also slightly above average, in my opinion. I foresee a 2-1 record, but 3-0 isn't out of the question if he gets some luck or clicks the right buttons. The other two names, Eeveeto and Twixtry, are pretty unproven and I'm just gonna say that they're bad. Ribbon syndrome is on the bench and he could potentially provide a spark should these two randoms suffer. Pohjis is overrated as hell, but he could probably go 1-2 or something. Mana had his ups and downs in SPL as well. He could also probably go 1-2 or 2-1. I think both are better options than what they have now, but I digress.

I honestly don't even know if their ORAS player is a real person and I don't really feel like typing out their retarded name. They're bad. I'm very high on Pearl in the lower tiers, and he is a capable battler. Much like FLCL, however, I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon of BW players. In DPP, we have the manager of the team, TonyFlygon. While I would love to see Tony succeed, there's really no evidence that would lead me to believe he's going to do well in this tournament. It is the thinking gen, though, so I guess there's that. I've always been relatively high on Void as a player since I drafted him in that one RUPL. I don't really know how good he is in ADV, though, and the player pool has improved compared to past tournaments. He might struggle bit. I've never been as high on Jimmy Turtwig as the rest of the goons on this site and I thought his SPL price was ridiculous. That being said, the GSC player pool is a complete meme, and Jimmy is like a slightly above average player. He should be able to do relatively well. MetalGro$$ is like the definition of average so I expect like a 1-2 or 2-1 record.

Overall, I wouldn't exactly call this team good. They're better than the complete meme teams and should fight for a playoff spot. I would be surprised if they advanced further than the Quarterfinals, though.

And now, it's time for THE FINAL RANKINGS OML

Overall Rankings:

1. US Northeast (duh)

2. US West
3. France
4. Italy
5. Spain
6. Brazil
7. US South
8. Germany
9. Europe

10. Canada
11. US Midwest
12. Latin America
13. Oceania
14. Asia
15. Greece
16. UK
17. Austria
18. China

19. India
20. The Netherlands

So, there you have it my friends. US East is the best team as per usual. I think most of the Tier 2 teams are pretty close, honestly. They all feature some mix of star power and solid players, while also having some glaring weaknesses. The Tier 3 teams are all pretty trash and it would shock me if any of them made the playoffs. The Tier 4 teams don't exist so.

Hope you enjoyed reading the UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS!

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
After being out of the competitive scene for a while, for unknown reasons and unclear answers, above all having demonstrated my value in the last 1 year and half in numerous tournaments that I took apart with amazing results, I find myself excluded from my favorite competition. The bitterness and disappointment of some choices make me think without any hatred towards those who have been chosen. I wish Italy to win this trophy that our nation deserves for a while. You know where I am.. FORZA AZZURRI, IL CIELO SI DIPINGE DI BLU SOPRA SMOGON

After being out of the competitive scene for a while, for unknown reasons and unclear answers, above all having demonstrated my value in the last 1 year and half in numerous tournaments that I took apart with amazing results, I find myself excluded from my favorite competition. The bitterness and disappointment of some choices make me think without any hatred towards those who have been chosen. I wish Italy to win this trophy that our nation deserves for a while. You know where I am.. FORZA AZZURRI, IL CIELO SI DIPINGE DI BLU SOPRA SMOGON
Same man. Go US South :0

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
When they reject Caribbeans because players from there can already play in LatAm, but they allow Netherlands and then Europe's roster has 6 dutchies in @_@

(e: I've been notified that the reason Caribbeans have been rejected is because they'd be a group of countries splitting off from a region, rather than a single country. I guess the reasoning is coherent then, but the rule itself doesn't make much sense to me)

Obviously stuff is not going to change now but imo for next year either don't allow any unteams from regions of dubious quality, or allow all of them and let play-ins decide if they deserve to exist. And maybe if you're doing that allow the big regions to submit B teams as well, that way the poor french men who get oppressed by Ojama's tyranny get chances to prove their worth and I get to play another teamtour with hellpowna which is always a pleasure

But maybe I should take this to tournament policy threads

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)