Status
Not open for further replies.

Logo credit: LifeisDANK

The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Quarterfinals
Hosts: Hogg, Ark and Hikari
~Spreadsheet~

Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL
and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
See here.

Standard Tournament Rules

---

US Northeast (5) vs US West (5)

SM OU: bro fist vs lax
SM OU: ABR vs craing ;_;
SM OU: Insult vs blarghlfarghl
SM OU: Sabella vs z0mOG
ORAS OU: Star vs ima
BW OU: Finchinator vs Oristeros
DPP OU: august vs Philip7086
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs undisputed
GSC OU: BKC vs Lavos
RBY OU: teal6 vs rozes

Tiebreaker:

DPP OU: BKC vs Philip7086
GSC OU: ABR vs Lavos

Latin America (6) vs Spain (4)

SM OU: Gondra vs Axel
SM OU: Spectear vs ramboss
SM OU: ZDen vs Jardem
SM OU: Leo vs Trosko
ORAS OU: Lusa vs Poek
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind
DPP OU: Lycans vs Malekith
ADV OU: CyberOdin vs Garay oak
GSC OU: Raichy vs M Dragon
RBY OU: Vileman vs reiku

Europe (5) vs Brazil (5)

SM OU: TonyFlygon vs Eternal Spirit
SM OU: Twixtry vs KratosMana
SM OU: ZoroDark vs Tamahome
SM OU: Mana vs mncmt
ORAS OU: le LLiolae vs Nintendi
BW OU: Pearl vs Luigi
DPP OU: Void vs Hyogafodex
ADV OU: Pohjis vs elodin
GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Century Express
RBY OU : MetalGro$$ vs Caetano93

Tiebreaker:

SM OU: Mana vs Eternal Spirit
ORAS OU: Pearl vs Nintendi
GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Tamahome

Germany (7) vs Oceania (3)

SM OU: Mahlzeit vs Essence
SM OU: Relous vs Googly
SM OU: xray vs GypsyKing
SM OU: ict vs Vore Gidal
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs false
BW OU: Conflict vs The Grand Babido
DPP OU: Fakes vs panamaxis
ADV OU: Melle2402 vs Golden Sun
GSC OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Ninjadog13
RBY OU: Lusch vs Hipmonlee

Deadline June 23rd, 10 PM EST.

Last edited by a moderator:

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
US Northeast 6 vs US West 4

ORAS OU: Star vs Valentine

Latin America 3 vs Spain 7

SM OU: Gondra vs Axel
SM OU: Spectear vs ramboss
SM OU: ZDen vs Jardem
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind
DPP OU: Lycans vs Malekith

Europe 6 vs Brazil 4

Germany 6 vs Oceania 4

SM OU: menci vs Essence
ORAS OU: CBB vs false
GSC OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Earthworm

US Northeast vs US West

SM OU: bro fist vs lax - this could go either, really a coinflip in my eyes but if I have to pick someone my gut says lax
SM OU: ABR vs craing ;_; - another game were no one would be shocked with it going either way, feel like abr always setups himself up well in the builder to win the long, drawn out games a lot of ben's teams tend to encourage
SM OU: Insult vs blarghlfarghl - both have the tendency to load up some dogshit but I think east will have more influence over what Insult brings seeing as West let blargh load WK last time
SM OU: Sabella vs z0mOG - I thinks zom's better and he we all know his luck is gonna come back in full force after that 1st round
ORAS OU: Star vs Valentine - hard to see star beating lavos, lax, and zomog all at the same time
BW OU: Finchinator vs Oristeros - My brain says finch but my heart says ori this is such a trap game that will setup for funny finch rant which is really the best outcome anyone could ask for

Latin America vs Spain

SM OU: Gondra vs Axel - I think Gondra wins as long as he's ready for some those annoying look fat teams axel was bringing
SM OU: Spectear vs ramboss - I don't even remember ramboss' games but apparently he went 2-1 and spectear played bad
SM OU: ZDen vs Jardem - both did well but ZDen's pool was at least solid
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind - soulwinds better and probably wants to get a certain taste out of his mouth
DPP OU: Lycans vs Malekith - lycans is fire

Europe vs Brazil

SM OU: TonyFlygon vs Eternal Spirit - I'm sure tony will have tons of help but gama is too good at SM to not pick him vs someone who doesn't play it a lot
SM OU: Twixtry vs KratosMana - twixtry was impressive r1 but he wasn't really challenged and anti is probably just better
SM OU: ZoroDark vs Tamahome - this game looks fun to me, I think tama is better but zorodark provides good smogtours chat comments so that could be an x factor
BW OU: Pearl vs Luigi - pearls probably fundamentally a lot better but luigi has horseshoe stuck up his ass
ADV OU: Pohjis vs elodin - despite an unrelenting amount of absurd opinions eating away at his brain elodin is pretty good at pokemon

Germany vs Oceania

SM OU: menci vs Essence - essence absolutely smashed ultraballz and fmg this guy is fire
SM OU: Relous vs Googly - relous beat two of the only 3 letter name members of this site who are actually bad and googly had the whole first round to build some ungodly garbage
SM OU: ict vs Vore Gidal - he went 2-1 in a good group
ORAS OU: CBB vs false - he could very well be washed but false was unimpressive 1st round
BW OU: Conflict vs The Grand Babido - basketball = Ws

Last edited:

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Latin America (3) vs (7) Spain

SM OU: Gondra vs Axel - very fun matchup. axel is hot off a tiebreak win, and the confidence he displayed there meant a lot to me. i think gondra is a strong player but an in-form sheriff is a match for anyone on the site and then some.
SM OU: Spectear vs ramboss - spectears done an amazing job stewarding LA, and while r1 results really did not go his way, i think he will get on the board vs ramboss.
SM OU: ZDen vs Jardem - one of these players is fated to get their first loss of the tour, and it's tough to pick who exactly. i'll give the nod to jardem if only because i think spain is on a high at the moment, but this is perhaps the closest match in the series.
SM OU: Leo vs Trosko - it would be actually insane to predict against trosko right now. his teams, his play, his confidence and his overall mentality are top tier this tournament and i can't see that failing against a player who, even if trosko weren't in peak form, i'd still figure he'd beat.
ORAS OU: Lusa vs Poek - poek can be considered one of the premier players in ORAS on smogon, and he should have a clear edge here. anyone that knows what peak Poek is like knows how unstoppable he is.
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind - both BW greats, but sweet.law has been misfiring here and there and i don't think an uneven performance is okay to bring against mr consistency. soulwind should definitely win this one.
DPP OU: Lycans vs Malekith - while i definitely have to commend lycans for what many would consider an overperformance, he showed himself pretty strong in pools. that said, his opponents were not necessarily top caliber, so in a PO battle i'd have to take kith.
ADV OU: CyberOdin vs Garay oak - i'll be honest, i have no real idea here. my only real experience with cyberodin was dismantling him in the EG vs VoD clan war and idk if garay actually plays ADV. i'll give the nod to Cyberodin
GSC OU: Raichy vs M Dragon - i think mdragon has shown an incredible return to form after a good while of pretty mediocre results. in GSC, he's something else, and i think raichy's impressive performance from pools will meet a cold, hard end at the hands of david.
RBY OU: Vileman vs reiku - honestly just guessing.

Europe (5) vs (5) Brazil

SM OU: TonyFlygon vs Eternal Spirit - tony leaving DPP scares me somewhat, but he's shown his fundamentals are right up there with the best. that said, i don't think he could have run into a worse opponent for his first big-tour foray into CG OU. gama preys on people making the "right" plays and i think he has a strong edge here, bad luck of the draw for tony who i think would've done better against anyone else in the SM slots.
SM OU: Twixtry vs KratosMana - provided anti doesn't play when it's looking grim or like a win, he's definitively the stronger player. nerves and mentality are the only thing that can cause him to lose this match, but i think he wins far more often than not.
SM OU: ZoroDark vs Tamahome - i despise watching tama play at times because the man loves his odds more than anyone aside from abr but i have to admit he's incredibly fucking good. i think he has a big edge against zorodark who, as far as i know, is not really top level in SM OU
SM OU: Mana vs mncmt - mana overall seems the more solid player
ORAS OU: le LLiolae vs Nintendi - well, while nintendi seems certifiably insane and odd as a human being, i think he will take this one. it will be close though, because triple L has had some really impressive games especially for coming out of relatively nowhere in the last stour.
BW OU: Pearl vs Luigi - great MU, luigi is coming off of a very bad choke in BW and pearl seems hungry as hell, so i imagine he'll take it. tough to predict against a stour winner but gb himself will tell you how badly he misplayed that BW game vs SW, and it'll take a match or two before i'm convinced it won't happen again.
DPP OU: Void vs Hyogafodex - lol you guys agreed to put him back in dpp huh? void, word of advice, if you took tony out of this slot you really owe it to him to win
ADV OU: Pohjis vs elodin - elodin somehow just wins. its bizarre, he does insane things and loves dogshit teams, but he wins.
GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Century Express - good MU, jimmy seems more consistent.
RBY OU : MetalGro$$ vs Caetano93 - metal was the better player over the last series for my money, despite the result. i can't imagine it happens again if they play similarly to how they did before.

Germany (6) vs (4) Oceania

SM OU: menci vs Essence - literally no idea here
SM OU: Relous vs Googly - i like when googly brings insane shit, i hope he does that this time and it wins. like some umbreon shit.
SM OU: xray vs GypsyKing - LOVE this mu. i'm high on both of these players, gypsy in particular is underrated imo. that said xray's so incredibly solid he'll likely take it.
SM OU: ict vs Vore Gidal - leon's unbridled confidence in himself, alongside a reinvigorated focus in POs, should carry him to a win here.
ORAS OU: CBB vs false - i think CBB is the stronger player in this tier
BW OU: Conflict vs The Grand Babido - "the only person who thinks Conflict is good in BW is Conflict" said august. well, he then subsequently beat our BWer. the two people involved can bring some wild fucking stuff to this match, but i think Conflict is just generally more with it here.
DPP OU: Fakes vs panamaxis - another sick MU, but i love fakes, and cannot predict against my buddy.
ADV OU: Melle2402 vs Golden Sun - GS has looked uncrusted this tournament, and pretty good. i believe he'll take it over melle.
GSC OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Earthworm - while EW has indeed looked crusted, i dont think i was incredibly impressed with some stuff fomg did (though i know he's very good at self assessment, so it's possible he's gotten even stronger over the past few weeks).
RBY OU: Lusch vs Hipmonlee - while i'll admit some of the shit hip likes isn't as bad as my immediate reaction, i think his predilection for oddness will probably rear its head. lusch has always been a strong RBYer, and while some recent performances were so-so, i imagine he'll win this as well.

playing vs vileman at saturday 5/6 pm gmt +2

keep carrying my ass team while I play gens I've never played in my entire life

suerte a LA y a mis friends there :3

unbiased predicts;

US Northeast 9 vs US West 1

ORAS OU: Star vs Valentine

Europe 7 vs Brazil 3

Germany 5 vs Oceania 5

SM OU: menci vs Essence
ORAS OU: CBB vs false

Ger wins tie-break i guess

Last edited:
US Northeast [6] vs US West [4]

SM OU: bro fist vs lax - Possibly the best SM player by pure playing ability right now. lax has had some major success throughout wcop & SPL as well but since its bro fist hes facing I cannot favor him.
SM OU: ABR vs craing ;_; - ABR has a fantastic grasp on this (although by no means exclusively) tier currently & while I do expect ben to put up a fight it will not be enough to best the goat
SM OU: Insult vs blarghlfarghl - blarg inted with wish killer when his team needed him the most and winsult is really solid as well as versatile, big edge
SM OU: Sabella vs z0mOG - zom brings good teams and always plans the games out very well, this is probably the closest game since Sabella is a mainstay in SM OU as well, however, his builds seem pretty bland and hes quite afraid to make plays also.
ORAS OU: Star vs Valentine - Uh Valentine used to be really underrated so I'm glad people are starting to see how good he can be but I'm still favoring Star.
BW OU: Finchinator vs Oristeros - Finch is more proven in recent memory, especially in BW. Oristeros has shown some good things but we'll need to see more.
DPP OU: august vs Philip7086 - From what Ive seen august is one of the greatest here and philip is 'just' good currently but its DPP so who am I kidding trying to predict an outcome
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs undisputed - two of the best ADV players, I'm really looking forward to this one. Could go either way but undisputed feels like a more stable force while Gilbert might pack out the bear (or something of the sort) and int.
GSC OU: BKC vs Lavos - BKC is BKC I'd probably favor him in every other tier but Lavos in GSC is the single most dominant force in recent memory so he gets the bold.
RBY OU: teal6 vs rozes - This is as much of a coinflip as u can get, they are probably around the same skill level. I literally just bolded rozes because I'm rooting for him

Latin America [5] vs Spain [5]

SM OU: Gondra vs Axel - The sheriff is back in town and hes doing pretty well but I'm a fan of Gondra as a player and looking forward to seeing him play again.
SM OU: Spectear vs ramboss - Honestly no clue but Spectear looked ok in SPL
SM OU: ZDen vs Jardem - While he was in a terrible group Jardem did emerge victorious three times and thats at least something. I'm not super high on ZDen either which explains my prediction.
SM OU: Leo vs Trosko - Trosko seems to be as amazing in SM as he is in ORAS, truly one of the brightest lights on modern Spain. Leo will need to pull some magic out of his hat to take this one.
ORAS OU: Lusa vs Poek - Lusa is not bad but unfortunately not bad wont be enough against Poek.
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind - I'm gonna refrain from saying anything even remotely negative about Posho since hes going to take it as a personal attack so lets just say SoulWind is the best BW player since that also happens to be true.
DPP OU: Lycans vs Malekith - One of the must-win slots for LA. Malekith has shown good things and bad things while Lycans is 3-0 and historically a carry of this team. Its DPP though xD
ADV OU: CyberOdin vs Garay oak - 2-1 vs. unproven I want to see more ADV from Garay before bolding him although he seems pretty capable in the tiers I've seen him play.
GSC OU: Raichy vs M Dragon - Raichy did go 3-0 while also beating M Dragon but at least two of those games could have gone the other way as easily. I'll stick with the guy who beat Lavos fair and square for now but lets see.
RBY OU: Vileman vs reiku - Vileman did well in Round 1 while reiku did not so well and also played another tier. Small Edge to Vileman due to the nature of the tier.

Europe [6] vs Brazil [4]

SM OU: TonyFlygon vs Eternal Spirit - Tony has accumulated the wisdom of every player he acquired as a manager in every tier and is now getting ready to unleash his wrath on a shaky Eternal Spirit. Also looking forward to see what team he doesnt deem veto-worthy :psywoke:
SM OU: Twixtry vs KratosMana - Twixtry did well lately but Anti is a complete madlad, small edge
SM OU: ZoroDark vs Tamahome - Zoro is solid and will execute nicely while the only thing that comes to my (and perhaps many other non brazilians) mind when seeing tama in SM again is 'why is he not playing DPP?' Great Pokemon player but I dont think he is used well here.
SM OU: Mana vs mncmt - Mana is a good SM while I honestly dont know a ton about mncmt.
ORAS OU: le LLiolae vs Nintendi - more proven and definitely has a higher ceiling while le LLiolae doesnt even have consistency going in his favor but the edge is not that big honestly
BW OU: Pearl vs Luigi - Luigi is a weird prospect as a player, hes been doing alright for a while and he obviously also won the latest edition of smogon tour but it just doesnt feel like he is that formidable for me while Pearl actually looks terrifying in a lot of his games. Perhaps thats just me tho, should be a good game regardless.
DPP OU: Void vs Hyogafodex - Void will get matchup'd and complain
ADV OU: Pohjis vs elodin - I love Pohjis as a player across every tier, really glad that he decided to play. elodin is no slouch by any means, especially in ADV but Pohjis feels more solid.
GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Century Express - While Jimmy is formidable in every oldgen I dont think that he has an edge over CE in GSC particularly, who also has more recent experience in the tier.
RBY OU : MetalGro$$ vs Caetano93 - SPL starter vs. RoA ladder goon RBY edition, slight edge to the better player.

Not predicting my own team's games but looking forward to some nice matches, especially in SM.
Have fun Oceania :]

Hello friends!!! WELCOME BACK TO ANOTHER EDITION OF THE UNBIASED PREDICTIONS!

US Northeast (6)
vs US West (3)

SM OU: bro fist vs lax | lax has come a long way since his introduction to the competitive scene. He went from being a dumbass that used Scarf Trick Room Uxie to becoming a clutch tiebreak player and SPL champion. lax has proven his haters wrong every step of the way. He is skilled enough to be favored in a lot of matchups. Unfortunately, in this round, he managed to run into the buzz-saw that is the Punisher of Plays, bro fist. World Cup is John's playground, and he is without a doubt the best SM player in the tournament, and arguably the best player overall as well. With the godlike support of ABR and the rest of the east crew, lax will be hard-pressed to win this one.
SM OU: ABR vs craing ;_; | ABR is the model of consistency, continually achieving or surpassing expectations with solid records in both individual and team tours. His opponent, ben gay, shares some of ABR's highs, but is nowhere near as consistent. One game, ben gay can make you think he's one of the best players on Smogon. The next, you'll think he hoodwinked you when he brings some dogshit trash in an important match. Even in his tiebreak vs. TDK, he showed a lot of his flaws. He outplayed TDK super hard for a lot of the game, but then let his opponent crawl back in with a slew of misplays that nearly cost him the win. Beating a slumping TDK is one thing, but an in-form ABR is one of the most dangerous opponents there is. ben gay has his work cut out for him here.
SM OU: Insult vs blarghlfarghl | Insult is the latest filler character to slot into the NE starting lineup. I wasn't overly impressed with him in SPL, but he does have probably the best team support any SM player could ever have. I don't really think he's good, but he should be able to capitalize on this fortuitous matchup. blargh is absolutely awful. People were ragging on him for using Wish Killer vs. FV, but like, in what universe was he beating FV to begin with? I'll take the more unknown quantity with a good support system over the player I know is trash.
SM OU: Sabella vs z0mOG | Sabella has had his ups and downs, but he's probably like slightly above average or perhaps slightly worse than that. STour champion z0mOG has also been relatively inconsistent in his career, but I think he's a bit better than Sabella. Look for him to turn his tour around in this one.
ORAS OU: Star vs Valentine | People were sleeping on Valentine heading into the tournament, but between this tournament and SPL 10, I think he's showing that he can pose a threat to most of the field. He played pretty well in his first two games, before having an aneurysm in his last one. Nonetheless, he has some upside. The problem here is his matchup with Star, who is one of the best ORAS players in the tournament.
BW OU: Finchinator vs Oristeros | bro you have got to be KIDDING ME LMAO ORISTEROS VROS oh my god this man is the DEFINITION of crust HIS LAST GAME BEFORE THIS TOURNAMENT WAS ON PO DUDE HE HADN'T EVEN LOGGED ON SMOGON BEFORE THIS TOURNAMENT!! Finchinator was trash Round 1 but still LOL It will take MUCH MORE than a win against another crust player in IDM Toxzn and a completely dogshit Greek in Ace-11 before I ever consider bolding Oristeros's name.
DPP OU: august vs Philip7086 | Whenever two super old players clash, there's always potential for excitement. However, I think Phil still might be crust, whereas august definitely isn't. It doesn't hurt that he has the support of probably the best DPPer ever, BKC, on his side as well. august outplayed him in the group stage, and I would expect a similar result here. Still, though, Phil should not be slept on, and he could easily win this game with some fire techs.
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs undisputed | marcop 3-0'd the group stage after a very solid SPL showing. His World Cup record is a bit fradulent, though, channeling memories of HODOR a few years back, albeit not nearly as severe. I still think he's a relatively solid player, but it's hard to favor him against Kevin S, who's been pretty consistent for a few years now.
GSC OU: BKC vs Lavos | Probably the highlight of the round. These two are some of the best players Smogon has to offer. Lavos fell back to Earth a bit in his semifinals match versus MDragon, but I find it hard to believe that he'll drop two in a row. BKC's obviously an excellent GSC player, but I give Lavos the slight edge in his home court.
RBY OU: teal6 vs rozes | The RBY Jerk battle is here. I don't really have a read here. rozes impressed against Troller before stumbling to the finish line. teal put up a decent record as he usually does. I don't see enough of a skill discrepancy here to warrant bolding anyone in this dogshit meme tier so.

Latin America (3) vs Spain (7)

SM OU: Gondra vs Axel | Gondra always complains that I say the same things about him every tour but like...there's nothing else to say LOLO He's like in between average and slightly above average. Peak Axel would be heavily favored in this matchup. I don't thnik he's quite on that level yet, but he's done enough to give me confidence that he'll win this game.
SM OU: Spectear vs ramboss | I don't really think Spectear is that good and he had a dogshit showing in the group stage. ramboss showed some flashes and I suppose he has some upside. Small edge.
SM OU: ZDen vs Jardem | I didn't even know that Jardem and jrdn were different people until this tour so LOL He did go 3-0, but he also played what was probably the 2nd worst group of opponents possible, next to Pearl's gauntlet through a trio of clowns. I was never particularly impressed with ZDen, but he did go 3-0 against a relatively tough group. Small edge.
SM OU: Leo vs Trosko | I don't know much about Leo besides the fact that he's that dude with the mudkip avatar that posts in the Smogtours discord. It doesn't matter either way. GODSKO IS UNSTOPPABLE! He is easily the 3rd best SM OU player in this entire tournament, and even has the potential to take the mantle of 2nd from ABR. THE MAN IS ALREADY 6-0 LOL HE'S 13-2 IN SPL+ WCOP! What a wrap
ORAS OU: Lusa vs Poek | This one's pretty simple. I have no reason to think Lusa isn't trash and Poek is one of the best ORAS players in the tournament.
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind | If this game happened like 2 years ago, I would maybe even pick Posho in this spot. Peak Posho was a threat and a half. Unfortunately, he has been struggling to find his form, a problem which continued in this tournament. Defeating one of the best BW players ever is a daunting enough task as it is, but Posho's lack of form makes me give a big edge to SW.
DPP OU: Lycans vs Malekith | I would have given Malekith a solid edge in this matchup before the tour began. However, he did pooorly in the group stage while Lycans went 3-0. Lycans's group was complete dogshit, though, so those wins mean a bit less than they would otherwise. Malekith's edge in this game is definitely lower than it was a few weeks ago, but he should still be favored based on his experience in the old gens
ADV OU: CyberOdin vs Garay oak | Garay is a lower tier mainer who has done relatively well on the sheet in his last few tries. However, this is ADV OU. Odin has been around the block and was pretty impressive at times in Round 1, absolutely smashing undisputed. He's good enough to win this one.
GSC OU: Raichy vs M Dragon | Raichy shocked the world by going 3-0 in the group stage, even taking down M Dragon along the way. IT will take a much larger sample size before I'm willing to bold his name against one the best GSCers of all time, though. M Dragon seemed to get some of his mojo back in the tiebreaker against Lavos. Look for him to continue the upswing here.
RBY OU: Vileman vs reiku | bro LOL reiku is SO CRUSTY RIGHT NOW OH MY GOD LOL I don't think Vileman's good or anything, and it is RBY, but there's no way I can bold reiku after what I've seen in the past few months.

Europe (5) vs Brazil (5)

SM OU: TonyFlygon vs Eternal Spirit | Tony finds himself in SM OU after a Valentine-esque juggle by Europe. He's been showing off his skills lately, and is proving that he should not be underestimated. Unfortunately for him, he finds himself up against Gama, a spreadsheet warrior who has put up some pretty impressive records in the recent past. I find it hard to believe Tony will win this one.
SM OU: Twixtry vs KratosMana | I honestly don't know who Twixtry is and I have no reason to believe that he's that good. Anti is a threat and a half who has been destroying people for years. In his 2nd game back from his forced hiatus, look for him to capitalize and annihilate his opponent.
SM OU: ZoroDark vs Tamahome | ZoroClick is slightly above average and has put up results in a wide variety of tiers. Tamahome, though, is on another level, in my opinion. Even though SM OU isn't his forte, he's still one of the best players in Smogon history. Hard to not like his odds in this one.
SM OU: Mana vs mncmt | Mana has some impressive games and is probably like the same level as Gondra. I've never really been impressed with mncmt so here we are.
ORAS OU: le LLiolae vs Nintendi | I still have no idea who the fuck this is LMAO what. who cares bros. Nintendi is one of the best ORAS players in the game, and has put forth some impressive showings in the past. Huge edge.
BW OU: Pearl vs Luigi | Stour Champion Luigi returns to the team tournament stage. He has the potential to win this, but I don't see it happening. Pearl's a pretty solid player. His 3-0 in the group stage was honestly retarded LMAO he had the worst group of opponents I've ever seen but here we are LOL Small edge.
DPP OU: Void vs Hyogafodex | DPP expert Void finds himself back in his homeland after a disaster of a group stage in ADV. I still don't think Hyoga is good, and Void is one of the best thinking gen players left in the tournament for sure. Big edge.
ADV OU: Pohjis vs elodin | lol I literally predicted elodin to beat Pohjis in classic too LOL RIBBON SYNDROME VROS!! elodin had some pretty good ADV games in Round 1, and I think he's slightly better than Pohjis. Both of these players should be in the 8-9k range in SPL, but I like elodin just a bit more in this one.
GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Century Express | Both of these players were absurd amounts in SPL, and I never really got it. Nonetheless, I think Jimmy is a bit more solid and should be able to take this one relatively easily.
RBY OU : MetalGro$$ vs Caetano93 | I still don't know if this Caetaeno guy is a meme or not so just gonna bold the Raiders RBYer for his experience.

Tiebreak:

Europe (0) vs. Brazil (3)

SM OU: ??? / ??? idk some1 vs. Eternal Spirit / KratosMana
SM OU: ??? / ??? idk some1 vs. Eternal Spirit / KratosMana
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs. Tamahome

Brazil picks SM. Gama and Anti are favored against every Europe player. Europe picks RBY because they have no edge against Tamahome. He's better than Metal, but it is RBY so. Actually, I did make Anti learn RBY in SPL 6 LOL maybe he flips w Tama. Brazil wins all 3 either way.

Germany (8) vs Oceania (2)

SM OU: menci vs Essence | I still don't really know who the fuck Essence is so LOL At least menci was in SPL and I've heard of him before.
SM OU: Relous vs Googly | Googly is definitely not a good player LOL He's literally a poor man's ben gay. I'm not that impressed with Relous but I think he's a bit more solid.
SM OU: xray vs GypsyKing | xray had a fantastic SPL and is a pretty solid player in general. Again, I really have no reason to think this Oceania dude is good so here we are.
SM OU: ict vs Vore Gidal | Vore Gidal had a solid Round 1 showing, but I'm gonna need a larger sample size before I favor him in anything. Leon is a threat, and even though he's better in the lower tiers, I think he's a good enough player to win this one.
ORAS OU: CBB vs false | CBB returns to the scene in his home tier of ORAS OU. He's definitely one of the best ORAS players around. false, meanwhile, is honestly complete dogshit LOL like have you watched his games? Huge edge.
BW OU: Conflict vs The Grand Babido | Crust battle? LOL Donflict was extremely impressive in Round 1, and seems to be more in form than bab. Gonna give him the edge in this one.
DPP OU: Fakes vs panamaxis | Pre-SPL 8 ShakeItUp would have bolded panamaxis every time here. Luckily, I have ascended past that phase. pana is historically good, but he's INSANE CRUST RIGHT NOW LOL IT'S 2019 PEOPLE! Fakes has been consistent for years and I consider him to be a pretty good player. Solid edge.
ADV OU: Melle2402 vs Golden Sun | Melle isn't a good player, and Golden Sun's been pretty solid in his home tier of ADV across SPL and WCoP. Big edge.
GSC OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Earthworm | FOMG was honestly pretty impressive in the group stage. He had some pretty solid showings. Earthworm on the other hand is one of the best players in Smogon history. I still think Earthworm is crust right now, but FOMG needs to do a bit more on the sheet in a non-meme tier before I favor him here.
RBY OU: Lusch vs Hipmonlee | LOL CRUSTMONLEE IS BACK OML He actually went positive in Round 1, shocking the entire world. Lusch is a threat, though, is definitely the better player.

I still can't believe OCN made playoffs LOL

Last edited:
US Northeast (5) vs US West (5)

SM OU: bro fist vs lax - ya i can't imagine this going any other way
SM OU: ABR vs craing ;_; !!! again. hype
SM OU: Insult vs blarghlfarghl - shouldn't these two be posting in the underrated sets thread or some shit? why's this a wcop match
SM OU: Sabella vs z0mOG - can't root against dad
ORAS OU: Star vs Valentine - isn't it so cute when valentine puts on his thinking cap in game? everytime he plays and his clock takes a 60 sec toll per turn, you just know that his mind is chugging as hard as it can. ugh. i love that energy. keep it going, val
BW OU: Finchinator vs Oristeros - highkey oris has a huge ceiling and he was pretty impressive r1 for the most part. rooting for my mans finch, but this game will be tight.
DPP OU: august vs Philip7086 - phil never lets down in clutch moments
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs undisputed - this one is tighter than you'd expect i reckon. marcop is a solid aviator. has some trouble picking the right plane tho but if he does, it's magic.
GSC OU: BKC vs Lavos - can't root against daddy kev in a wcop playoff
RBY OU: teal6 vs rozes - rozes is still a shit tier user and deserves all the bad rng in the world. yaaaas teal vamos

Latin America (4) vs Spain (6)

SM OU: Gondra vs Axel - gondra used to be able to distinguish himself from the rest of the latinos but he's back to looking like a wcop starter that gets bought for 5k in spl by virtue of spanish speaking nepotism
SM OU: Spectear vs ramboss - i guess
SM OU: ZDen vs Jardem - this dudes games are fun to peep
SM OU: Leo vs Trosko - oh my god, dad again. hi dad.
ORAS OU: Lusa vs Poek - poek is the kind of user i can respect from a distance
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind - yaaaaaaaaaaas posho vamos
DPP OU: Lycans vs Malekith - dad #4
ADV OU: CyberOdin vs Garay oak - i'm just assuming m drag will pass a decent team whereas cyberodin will wield a shitty skarmbliss squad or with a uu
GSC OU: Raichy vs M Dragon - dad #5 showed us how gsc was done last week
RBY OU: Vileman vs reiku - i've never see this dude not be lucky

Europe (3) vs Brazil (7)

SM OU: TonyFlygon vs Eternal Spirit - dad #6!!!!!!!!!!! hi dad
SM OU: Twixtry vs KratosMana - OMEGADaddddddddddddddddd HIIIIIIIIIIIII anti
SM OU: ZoroDark vs Tamahome - not dad but stepfather maybe
SM OU: Mana vs mncmt - any user named slightly after a pokemon always fucking sucks
ORAS OU: le LLiolae vs Nintendi - nintendo by queen herby is a bop
BW OU: Pearl vs Luigi - i picked a user at random. pearl's bw style is somehow more boring than finchinator's
DPP OU: Void vs Hyogafodex - okay
ADV OU: Pohjis vs elodin - elodin is a top tier user
GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Century Express - hurt me to bold this
RBY OU : MetalGro$$ vs Caetano93 - who

Germany (5) vs Oceania (5)

SM OU: menci vs Essence - ok cmon
SM OU: Relous vs Googly - i refuse to ever bold googly's name
SM OU: xray vs GypsyKing - g*psy is a slur, nope
SM OU: ict vs Vore Gidal - i'm lowkey a huge icy tea stan don't tell anyone
ORAS OU: CBB vs false -- ok i really had to scroll up because i thought i already predicted a match with this dude but it turned out to be user 'insult'. why are these two characters the same?
BW OU: Conflict vs The Grand Babido - bab bab bab bab
DPP OU: Fakes vs panamaxis - fakes is the worst kind of player but he's funny but i still hope he loses
ADV OU: Melle2402 vs Golden Sun - lol
GSC OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Earthworm - goat
RBY OU: Lusch vs Hipmonlee - old gen victories baby let's gooo ocn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)