The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightFox

Banned deucer.
I had left this game believing that LA was doomed to be a rat's nest forever but one man proved me wrong. Spectear is the leader that LA desperately needed and built the team that I always dreamed of.

Mis más sinceras felicitaciones a todos los latinos por haber hecho historia y por todo el empeño que le dieron a esto. Muchas gracias por nunca haberse olvidado de mi y permitirme acompañarlos hasta acá.

Hello and WELCOME BACK to yet another Tiebreak edition of the UNBIASED PREDICTIONS

Europe (0) vs. Brazil (3)

SM OU: Mana vs Eternal Spirit | Mana played beautifully against mncmt, but he faces a much stiffer test this time around. Gama usually manages to pull off wins. Super Saiyan Tony did dismantle him last round with a hard read on Gama's Greninja, but this is still a player that has filled up the sheet at an astounding rate in the past year and a half. I think he's a better player and should take this one.
ORAS OU: TonyFlygon vs Nintendi | Probably the biggest surprise of the tournament alongside LA's miraculous run is the ascension of TonyFlygon. The former YouTuber went from being known as a great manager who didn't play an ounce of competitive Pokemon to being a multi-gen threat who qualified for the Smogon Classic playoffs and smashed all of his World Cup opposition. His showings have been pretty impressive, and he's shown that he has the potential to be a top player in the game. That being said, there's no way I can favor him over Nintendi. I've thought Nintendi was really good for a while, and his performance this tour is showing that his Snake performance against ABR was merely an anamoly. Tony is tough in 2019, but Nintendi should be better.
GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Tamahome | Jimmy's been pretty impressive in the recent months and is proving himself more and more to be worth his hefty SPL price tag. I think he's a pretty solid GSC player. His opponent, though, is no slouch. Tamahome is one of the best old gen players of all time, and while he may not be known as much for his GSC prowess in comparison to his DPP and ADV skills, I am confident that he can pull through in a close one here.

So...here we are once again LOL US EAST IN A TIEBREAK! West has to be feeling demoralized after ben gay did his trademark routine of making people think he's amazing before snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. They had this series wrapped up. Giving second chances to a dynasty team rarely works out well. On the bright side, though, they do have higher odds of beating NE in the tiebreak than they did of beating them at 0-0.

US Northeast (2) vs. US West (1)

SM OU: bro fist vs. lax | lax got the best of John in their initial meeting, but I have a hard time believing that the best tiebreak player ever is going to lose again. lax has proven himself to be a capable player, but until John loses a tiebreak, he should be favored against anyone on Smogon.
DPP OU: BKC vs. Philip7086 | BKC is definitely the best DPPer in recent memory, and arguably the best ever. His knowledge is unparalleled and we all know how skilled he is. He doesn't seem to be in this best of form, but a game in his home tier might just be what he needs. That said, this is in fact the variance madhouse. Phil knows his way around this tier too, and ultimately, this game's probably going to come down to some nonsense tech. I think Phil will get a better matchup and pull through in a fun one.
GSC OU: ABR vs. Lavos | Lavos is without question the best GSCer. But, something just tells me that ABR will win this one game. I've been very high on his GSC abilities for a while and think the more defensive nature of the tier perfectly complements his playstyle. ABR's form right now is crazy good; his Classic series vs. BKC was one for the ages. He should have lost to ben gay, but at the end of the day, no one is better at playing fat vs. fat than Archie. This should naturally be a close game, but I think ABR edges out Lavos slightly in a repeat of last year.

Picking two 'underdogs' strays from my normal practices, but nothing about US East / Northeast 2013-19 is normal. As an avid sports fan, every instinct I have tells me that West blew their chance of winning this with the ben gay throw. It reminds me of when the Patriots came back from 3-28 to tie the game and won the coin toss. After being on US East for several years and witnessing many absurd runs first-hand, this series seems destined to go 1-1 with John winning the final game. It just seems like destiny. West still has pretty decent odds of winning the tiebreak, but something tells me that East will only lose when John's unbelievable streak comes to a close. lax slayed blunder in SPL to clutch it for the Ruiners. But, can he take down the tiebreak God himself? I don't see it.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
US Northeast (2) vs US West (1)

SM OU: bro fist (55) vs lax (45) - Now I know that lax has been coming out guns blazing since the start of this year in OU especially, winning two SPL tiebreaks and going 3-0 in pools, even beating John earlier today. However, John in tiebreak is another beast altogether and he's such a great player that I don't see him losing to anyone on this site two times in the same tour, let alone twice in a row. Slight edge to John here.

DPP OU: BKC (65) vs Philip7086 (35) - Now I know that this may look a bit more lopsided than one would expect given how well Phil has been performing as of late, but this is BKC we're talking about. I think regardless of the "slump" that BKC is currently having, there's very few people period that I give a fighting chance against him in a straight up DPP game and he's not going to make the mistake of letting himself get matchup fished after the fiasco that happened last year in the tiebreak against West.

GSC OU: ABR (30) vs Lavos (70) - I know that this is a pretty insane margin to favor Lavos by considering that ABR has beaten him in GSC OU in team tours twice previously, but Lavos has been absolutely on fire in GSC and I don't think that anyone else approaches his level in this tier, certainly not out of the teams left in wcop. ABR's certainly more than competent at GSC and in fact would be favored against most people, but I highly doubt that Lavos is going to just lose to him for the third time after the roll he's been on as of late.

Europe (2) vs Brazil (1)

SM OU: Mana (40) vs Eternal Spirit (60) - Both of these players look to be in good form right now, and I think either of them could certainly take this. However, Gama has been playing at an incredible level in SM for about 2 years now and I don't think he's going to let himself lose two games in a row coming off of a lost against Tony. Mana is definitely a fire player and can come up with some cool techs and a great team in the builder that can give him a huge advantage off the bat, so don't count him out here.

ORAS OU: TonyFlygon (51) vs Nintendi (49) - Now I know that this may look like a crackhead predict given Nintendi’s place as being consistently one of the top ORAS players for a while now, but I’ve been super impressed with Tony’s play as of late in every gen he’s taken a crack at. Not only that, but he’s got some great teambuilding minds behind him that will certainly be able to aid him in preparing and I think that with his prepping + great playing ability, he’ll be able to edge out Nintendi here in a very thrilling game coming down to some key late game reads.

GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig (55) vs Tamahome 45) - I understand that Tama is one of the greatest players of all time and should frankly be favored against most people regardless of oldgen. However, Jimmy has really ascended as a player in the last year and a half, winning GSC cup while not dropping a single game and being arguably the best DPP player in SPL this year. If this game was moved over to ADV or DPP, I would definitely favor Tama, but I think that Jimmy’s intelligent playstyle as well as him just having more practice in GSC gives him a slight edge against Tama here.

US Northeast (2) vs US West (1)

SM OU: bro fist (55) vs lax (45) - Now I know that lax has been coming out guns blazing since the start of this year in OU especially, winning two SPL tiebreaks and going 3-0 in pools, even beating John earlier today. However, John in tiebreak is another beast altogether and he's such a great player that I don't see him losing to anyone on this site two times in the same tour, let alone twice in a row. Slight edge to John here.

DPP OU: BKC (65) vs Philip7086 (35) - Now I know that this may look a bit more lopsided than one would expect given how well Phil has been performing as of late, but this is BKC we're talking about. I think regardless of the "slump" that BKC is currently having, there's very few people period that I give a fighting chance against him in a straight up DPP game and he's not going to make the mistake of letting himself get matchup fished after the fiasco that happened last year in the tiebreak against West.

GSC OU: ABR (30) vs Lavos (70) - I know that this is a pretty insane margin to favor Lavos by considering that ABR has beaten him in GSC OU in team tours twice previously, but Lavos has been absolutely on fire in GSC and I don't think that anyone else approaches his level in this tier, certainly not out of the teams left in wcop. ABR's certainly more than competent at GSC and in fact would be favored against most people, but I highly doubt that Lavos is going to just lose to him for the third time after the roll he's been on as of late.

Europe (2) vs Brazil (1)

SM OU: Mana (40) vs Eternal Spirit (60) - Both of these players look to be in good form right now, and I think either of them could certainly take this. However, Gama has been playing at an incredible level in SM for about 2 years now and I don't think he's going to let himself lose two games in a row coming off of a lost against Tony. Mana is definitely a fire player and can come up with some cool techs and a great team in the builder that can give him a huge advantage off the bat, so don't count him out here.

ORAS OU: TonyFlygon (51) vs Nintendi (49) - Now I know that this may look like a crackhead predict given Nintendi’s place as being consistently one of the top ORAS players for a while now, but I’ve been super impressed with Tony’s play as of late in every gen he’s taken a crack at. Not only that, but he’s got some great teambuilding minds behind him that will certainly be able to aid him in preparing and I think that with his prepping + great playing ability, he’ll be able to edge out Nintendi here in a very thrilling game coming down to some key late game reads.

GSC OU: Jimmy Turtwig (55) vs Tamahome 45) - I understand that Tama is one of the greatest players of all time and should frankly be favored against most people regardless of oldgen. However, Jimmy has really ascended as a player in the last year and a half, winning GSC cup while not dropping a single game and being arguably the best DPP player in SPL this year. If this game was moved over to ADV or DPP, I would definitely favor Tama, but I think that Jimmy’s intelligent playstyle as well as him just having more practice in GSC gives him a slight edge against Tama here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KXVMkW4g6o0Ys2XiIMkx3UokIMOYS3xmoFgEJNTwixw/edit?usp=sharing

Overall the story you're telling here isn't bad, but I feel that some of the characters are underdeveloped, and at times the narrative expects me to take certain things as fact without demonstrating why they are the case. Show, don't tell. There's something worth developing here, keep at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)