The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Logo credit: LifeisDANK

The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Semifinals
Hosts: Hogg, Ark and Hikari
~Spreadsheet~

Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL
and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
See here.

Standard Tournament Rules

---

US West (5) vs Germany (5)

SM OU: blarghlfarghl vs Relous
SM OU: z0mOG vs menci
SM OU: lax vs FullLifeGames
SM OU: Zepherox vs xray
ORAS OU: craing ;_; vs CrashinBoomBang
BW OU: Oristeros vs Conflict
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Fakes
ADV OU: undisputed vs Melle2402
GSC OU: Lavos vs FriendOfMrGolem120
RBY OU: rozes vs Lusch

TIEBREAK: US West (2) vs Germany (1)

SM OU: lax v xray
ORAS OU: z0mOG v CrashinBoomBang
ADV OU: Philip7086 v Fakes

Latin America (5) vs Brazil (5)

SM OU: Gondra vs KratosMana
SM OU: Leo vs HANTSUKI
SM OU: ZDen vs Eternal Spirit
SM OU: Yvettee vs Tamahome
ORAS OU: Lusa vs Nintendi
BW OU: Posho vs Rewer
DPP OU: Lycans vs Hyogafodex
ADV OU: CyberOdin vs elodin
GSC OU: Raichy vs Century Express
RBY OU: Vileman vs Caetano93

TIEBREAK: Latin America (1) vs Brazil (2)

SM OU: Gondra v Eternal Spirit
ADV OU: CyberOdin v Tamahome
GSC OU: Raichy v KratosMana

Tiebreak Deadline is Friday July 12th, 11:59 PM EST.

Last edited by a moderator:
West 7 : Germany 3
SM OU: lax vs ict

Latin America (6) vs Brazil (4)

DPP OU:
Lycans vs Hyogafodex

Last edited:
Hello and WELCOME BACK TO ANOTHER EDITION OF THE UNBIASED PREDICTIONS

West shocked the world by taking down the unstoppable World Cup Gods. The tour is now wide open. Who will take home the trophy? Let's find out.

US West (5) vs Germany (5)

SM OU: blarghlfarghl vs Relous | This game is pretty similar to insult vs. blargh from last round. I have no reason to really have that much faith in Relous, but blargh is a terrible player, and it will take more than an auto-win matchup with the broken moth to make me bold his name.
SM OU: z0mOG vs menci | I don't really think menci is that great and z0mOG is solid enough. I think he's a better player and should take this one.
SM OU: lax vs ict | If this game was in a lower tier, I think it would be closer. However, THE LAX BANDWAGON IS ROLLING IN FULL FORCE VROS! He's dominating in OU and has now beaten both blunder and the GOAT bro fist in tiebreaks. I don't think ict can stop him.
SM OU: Zepherox vs xray | bros who is this LOOL MUSHMONKEY HELLO?? I guess Val can't play, and ima has been pretty trash this tour, so I suppose it makes sense. Still though, this man was behind blargh on the bench and is irrelevant by virtue of the sheet, so imma just say he's dogshit. xray isn't as good at SM as he is in ORAS, but he's still a solid player and should smash in this spot.
ORAS OU: craing ;_; vs CrashinBoomBang | LOL I'm glad ben gay is playing an actual player. I hate bolding him LOL You never fucking know what's going to happen with this guy. He could bring fucking Muk-Alola or switch Gliscor into Slowbro Ice Beam and blame the timer. Or he could successfully get matchup and 6-0 his opponent. I don't see that happening this time, though. CBB is one of the best ORAS players around, and West has been downright atrocious in this metagame lately. CBB's the better player.
BW OU: Oristeros vs Conflict | It was SO SURPRISING that when Oristeros played an actual player last round instead of someone with the skill level of a ladder random, he got absolutely annihilated LOL WHO ARE WE KIDDING VROS? This man's absurd crust like this is ridiculous. Donflict, meanwhile, looks like a threat and a half this tour. The lax bandwagon is charging on full steam ahead and it looks like my Conflict bandwagon seems to be doing similar things.
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Fakes | This is a DPP game between two pretty solid players. Fakes has been a menace for a while and I've always been relatively high on his playing abilities. Meanwhile, Phil is coming off a near flawless win against the best DPPer of the modern era. This one's super close, but Phil impressed me last round and I think he should be able to out-tech Fakes and take this one.
ADV OU: undisputed vs Melle2402 | I've never been impressed with melle and I'm pretty sure he's bad. Kevin S is one of the best ADVers around and I think he should dominate this matchup.
GSC OU: Lavos vs FriendOfMrGolem120 | FOMG has been pretty impressive in limited action this tour. As I said last round, though, I need to see more results from him in a non-meme tier before I consider bolding him against good players. It's irrelevant anyway. Lavos is the best GSCer on Smogon right now. While he hasn't been at his best this tournament, I expect him to return to his dominant form and smash his opponents from here on.
RBY OU: rozes vs Lusch | Ever since Lusch impressed me as one of the rays of hope in the tire-fire that was the SPL 8 Classiest, I've been relatively high on his playing abilities. rozes has displayed some solid RBY knowledge this tournament, but he's mediocre on the sheet and Lusch should be a cut above him in this one.

Tiebreak:

Germany picks ORAS without a doubt. The West pick, however, is an interesting one. Their biggest edge is probably in SM OU, but that leaves their best player, Lavos, in no-man's land. I don't really know how proficent he is at SM OU, but I guess they could put him there if he wants to play it. Utimately, though, I think Lavos's confidence in his GSC abilities is unrivaled and I think his team will fully trust in him to take down Conflict.

US West (2) vs. Germany (1)

SM OU: lax vs. xray | I would probably favor xray in this matchup if it was in ORAS, but lax is on another level in SM OU right now. I never imagined this clown would get this good when I first teamed with him in RUPL. lax has proven himself to be a top player on Smogon, and I see no signs of him stopping now.I'm pretty sure I've predicted him to beat everyone except for blunder, Trosko, and John in recent memory. xray's not on the level of those players in SM OU. Look for lax to come through in the clutch yet again.
ORAS OU: z0mOG vs. CrashinBoomBang | z0mOG is solid, but ORAS OU is CBB's main tier. West ORAS has been in absolute shambles the entire tournament, and I don't see their fortunes turning around in this tough of a matchup. I suppose West could put bengay here, but after last round's disaster, I would be skeptical.
GSC OU: Lavos vs. Conflict | It feels bad bolding against one of my bandwagon players in his best tier, but here we are. Conflict has been smashing everyone this tour in BW OU, and he's obviously one of the best GSCers of all time. Lavos is the best GSCer right now, though, and I'll give him the slightest of edges in what should be an amazing game.

Latin America (5) vs Brazil (3)

SM OU: Gondra vs KratosMana | Anti's really good when he's on form and he's been solid in limited action this tour. He should be 2-0, but he got absurdly unlucky last round. I consider him to be a cut above Gondra in terms of playing ability.
SM OU: Leo vs HANTSUKI | Yeah...I'm not predicting this one LOL hello. Leo's a random and HANTSUKI is probably crust. Not to mention, he's in fucking SM OU.
SM OU: ZDen vs Eternal Spirit | This is an interesting one. I would have favored Gama for sure before this tour, but he hasn't been in the best of form lately. ZDen, on the other hand, has surprisingly been doing really well. That's enough for me to give him the smallest of edges here.
SM OU: Yvettee vs Tamahome | bro I have 0 reason to think this guy isn't ass. He did decent enough Round 1, but imma need way more evidence than that to pick him. Meanwhile, Tama is one of the best players ever. Wrap.
ORAS OU: Lusa vs Nintendi | Nintendi has returned back to his old dominant ORAS form. He's been destroying people. Lusa got a perfect matchup last round vs. Poek, but unless that happens again, I see Nintendi smashing him.
BW OU: Posho vs Rewer | Bolding Posho in 2019 is never a good feeling. THE MAN NEVER WINS OMG Still, though, there's no way in hell im bolding Rewer in 2019 LOL
DPP OU: Lycans vs Hyogafodex | Lycans has a nice 4-0 record this tour, although that's a bit misleading considering the fact that he's played some complete bums and haxed Malekith last round. I think he's a better player than dickass Hyoga based on SPL, though.
ADV OU: CyberOdin vs elodin | Yo, we're dying on the hill LOL I definitely lost my mind for this pick, but fuck it. elodin's obviously a threat, but Odin seems to have some mojo this tour and I've liked how he's played. I'm picking the upset here.
GSC OU: Raichy vs Century Express | At a certain point, I have to start respecting the records. Raichy has definitely had some favorable luck, but he's looked solid. I've always thought CE was overrated, and I have no real reason to not favor Raichy here.
RBY OU: Vileman vs Caetano93 | Meme tier game between two similarly-skilled players. Let's move on.

Did I really just favor LA 5-3 LOOOL HELLO wow I've lost my mind. It's not even that unrealistic. If Brazil gets to tiebreak, I think they win easily, but we will see. Continuing to root for US West. If they don't win after beating East, it would be pretty sad, honestly.

Last edited:

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
US West (7) vs Germany (3)

SM OU: lax vs ict

Latin America (6) vs Brazil (4)

DPP OU: Lycans vs Hyogafodex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)